• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Final Fantasy VII Steam Release is Imminent [UPDATE] Now available on Steam

Well, it's a good time to replay. It's been... I don't even know how long...

Also, this would be great encouragement to Square to put more FF games on Steam. Can you imagine FFXII on Steam? Holyshit!

AColdDay

As much as I'd like additional feature and stuff. THIS is what I expect.

But hey, It's still a purchase for me, if they see the game selling hopefully they'll consider remaking it for once.

I would just be happy with them seeing that there is a market for jrpgs on Steam.

Already have it digitally on my ps3 and still have the discs somewhere around here. But I'll buy it on steam again, I still love that game. Best FF after 4.

Mupod

I bought the original FF7 PC version when it was new and it basically introduced me to the concept of godawful console ports.

I could kinda see myself playing it again if this version is somehow not crap. Not like I haven't finished it about 8 times already.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
NOOOOOOO why did I click that spoiler?

Gilgamesh

It's a real shame they didn't re-translate the game for this release. I really want to play FF7 with a better translation.

Replaying the game won't be the same than playing it the first time ever for me :( It was magical. I guess this applies to a lot of other games.

Raxus

I have to confess. I never played any FF before VIII to the end. Looking forward to rectifying that mistake.

Prezhulio

how long has it been since FFVII first showed up in the steam database? years, right?

just trying to temper expectations for halo's release, lol

Arkage

Banned
I will never get used to her name change to Aerith. I find it amazing that they go to such unnecessary lengths without realizing the only thing it will do is piss their fans off. And I love how the achievements use the new name but the entirety of the actual game uses the old one. Sigh.

kick51

Banned
I will never get used to her name change to Aerith. I find it amazing that they go to such unnecessary lengths without realizing the only thing it will do is piss their fans off. And I love how the achievements use the new name but the entirety of the actual game uses the old one. Sigh.

The new one just makes me feel like i'm saying an old one with a lisp.

there will be some passionate internet guy who yells at us both for not liking the new one and we will laugh at him

Grief.exe

how long has it been since FFVII first showed up in the steam database? years, right?

just trying to temper expectations for halo's release, lol

I wouldn't correlate the two.

For example, when AoE II HD first showed up in the Steam registry it wasn't that long before a release.

FFVII is, seemingly, controlled by Square of Japan which constantly makes foolish decisions in general, let alone in regards to PC releases.

I'm hoping this version doesn't have that annoying DRM the SE store's version had.

I certainly hope not, no evidence either way in the registry currently.

DRM information would be located in the installation or configuration sections, which aren't available yet.

Honestly, if you want to play this game, why would you bother with anything other than the original PSX release? The backgrounds are all made for 320x240 so running at a higher resolution only creates a stronger division between the backgrounds and the characters plus the music is terrible in the PC port.

Uh... because it is not available legally on the PC? Because it is not convenient for like half of Steam subscribers? Sometimes you ask the dumbest questions, dark.

Soule

May bite depending on the port quality - wasn't their last PC port horrendous?

This is my stance, never got into FF7, FF8 was the only one I played on the PS1. I can't help but feel that it'd be outdated by now, one of the biggest plot points have been long spoilered, the graphics are hard on the eyes and I've played more than enough turn based RPGs for my liking.

Still... all the talk about how much fans love this game make me wanna look into it myself, also I'd like to support S-E putting their games on Steam.

legacyzero

Banned
I've actually been looking for an excuse to play through these again. This TOTALLY works out.

This is my stance, never got into FF7, FF8 was the only one I played on the PS1. I can't help but feel that it'd be outdated by now, one of the biggest plot points have been long spoilered, the graphics are hard on the eyes and I've played more than enough turn based RPGs for my liking.

Still... all the talk about how much fans love this game make me wanna look into it myself, also I'd like to support S-E putting their games on Steam.

While VIII was my favorite, VII most certainly is more popular. The game is simply legendary. Sure the graphics are a bit dated, but you'll forget all that once you let that amazing story grab ahold of you.

Alucrid

Banned
I've actually been looking for an excuse to play through these again. This TOTALLY works out.

While VIII was my favorite, VII most certainly is more popular. The game is simply legendary. Sure the graphics are a bit dated, but you'll forget all that once you let that amazing story grab ahold of you.
I can't get over the hold X to run

Soule

Yeah, despite the big moment being spoiled, I'm still interested in the story and so long as it's handled properly I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up at some point.
Uh... because it is not available legally on the PC? Because it is not convenient for like half of Steam subscribers? Sometimes you ask the dumbest questions, dark.

Doesn't this mean it's legally available on PC?

Oreoleo

Maybe I will finally play this game.

In sincerity, more JRPG's are always welcome on Steam. Such an underrepresented genre.

I feel a little sad that aside from the "Master All Materia" and "Get 99999999 Gil" achievements, I already did these. Almost 15 years ago.

legacyzero

Banned
I can't get over the hold X to run

Is that really what's holding you back?

ibg63ch8QmWy2j.gif

I feel a little sad that aside from the "Master All Materia" and "Get 99999999 Gil" achievements, I already did these. Almost 15 years ago.

"NOSTALGIA UNLOCKED."

jWILL253

Banned
Will it support modding? I'd love to see updated character models from the community. That chibi style is super dated...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What? Seriously?

Buy the PSX version and emulate it. Or, use any PlayStation console. Simple.

The PC version is just terrible.

Top Bottom