• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Final Fantasy VII Steam Release is Imminent [UPDATE] Now available on Steam

Alucrid

Banned
I...what? Lots of games do this. It sucks that you never played gta, batman arkham, resident evil 4, etc. if this is a hang up for you.
I think it's the combination of having to use the d padand movement feeling wonky. I've played batman, re4,etc. I don't think sprint is necessarily the same thing as a "don't move at snails pace" button

Dragon

Banned
I think it's the combination of having to use the d padand movement feeling wonky. I've played batman, re4,etc. I don't think sprint is necessarily the same thing as a "don't move at snails pace" button

Yeah playing the game with a 360 controller would be a pain in the ass. Dat D-pad is sucky.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If I buy the game from Square right now, do I have the ability to add mods to it?

Will there be an actual directory installed for the game on my laptop?

Grief.exe

Can the item dupe trick be done on the pc version?

There was some kind of cheat mode released with the game on the Square Store.

Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Its the PC though, I'm sure there are cheats available.

Dr Dogg

How ironic I was checking the SE store page yesterday and noticed they had changed the description saying that there are now 36 achievements added.

Edit: And it did mention Cloud saves which make chuckle for some odd reason.

source: http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/en

Some of the mods were pretty decent for the PC release like battle character models for traversal so it's not quite a lumpy, poliginal mess by todays standards. Plus some of the in game fmv's have been upgraded (intro modded to have that ps3 concept vid).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FF7 on Steam?

Gotta go fast

DX3l9i7.gif

SuperHans

Wonder how much they will charge?

Paves the way for FF8 too given that it had a PC port too (a decent enough one too if I remember correctly).

Grief.exe

Going by the changelog, FFVII looks like a game that is about to be released.

Comparatively, FFVIII hasn't been updated in a month and isn't seeing many changes, and the changes that are being made don't have to do with the game itself.

When you see this frequency of changes over this period of time, you know something is about to happen.
I see a similar situation with Bioshock 2 and Batman: Arkham City right now, something is happening within the next couple weeks with those two games. I suspect the DRM is getting ripped out, but that remains to be seen.

about 10 hours ago Changed changenumber – 241037 › 241121
about 11 hours ago Changed changenumber – 240963 › 241037
about 13 hours ago Changed changenumber – 240962 › 240963
about 13 hours ago Changed changenumber – 240896 › 240962
about 15 hours ago Changed changenumber – 239966 › 240896
a day ago Changed changenumber – 236613 › 239966
8 days ago Changed changenumber – 235830 › 236613
10 days ago Changed changenumber – 235828 › 235830
10 days ago Changed changenumber – 235129 › 235828
13 days ago Changed changenumber – 235114 › 235129
13 days ago Changed changenumber – 233341 › 235114
16 days ago Changed changenumber – 233172 › 233341
16 days ago Changed changenumber – 232857 › 233172
16 days ago Changed changenumber – 232825 › 232857
16 days ago Changed changenumber – 232783 › 232825
17 days ago Changed changenumber – 232773 › 232783
17 days ago Changed changenumber – 228542 › 232773

rrs

Why spoiler quote
Aerith dying
? Come on everyone knows that already.

Going by the changelog, FFVII looks like a game that is about to be released.

Comparatively, FFVIII hasn't been updated in a month and isn't seeing many changes, and the changes that are being made don't have to do with the game itself.

When you see this frequency of changes over this period of time, you know something is about to happen.
I see a similar situation with Bioshock 2 and Batman: Arkham City right now, something is happening within the next couple weeks with those two games. I suspect the DRM is getting ripped out, but that remains to be seen.

Can they just upgrade my copy of Arkham City to GOTY already?

Beth Cyra

The moment FF VII goes up on Steam I will pick it up.

Also given SE updated FF VIII in one of the mags recently, I'm not sure there is real reason to expect much to be going on with FF VIII until they are actually ready to put it out.

Though I will be there even faster for VIII given it's my favorite in the franchise.

Rootbeer

Banned
nice... i guess it will still contain the bad music though? fixable, but still... why would they ruin it like that? don't they care about these things?

anway... will buy

Originally played the game on PC (given that I had N64), playing the game in Japanese for the first time via PSN. Maybe I will replay the PC ver. eventually out of nostalgia.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The reason for a lot of the PC versions issues is that its based on an older version of the games source code. Square, in all their wisdom, just deleted the source code of the game and a lot of the assists once they shipped the final copy. Eidos used an earlier build Square forgot to delete to make the PC port.

Magnus

I would literally throw up all over my fucking computer screen if an achievement blared across the screen when THAT happens.

How do Steam achievements work? Can you turn them off?

Grief.exe

I would literally throw up all over my fucking computer screen if an achievement blared across the screen when THAT happens.

How do Steam achievements work? Can you turn them off?

They pop up in a corner when you earn them. In the case of a quantity achievement, they'll pop up when you hit a certain point (ie: "Collect Item 10/40"). You can't turn them off.

You can turn the notification off

Mgb0PjT.png

Top Bottom