• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Final Fantasy VII Steam Release is Imminent [UPDATE] Now available on Steam

nfbackstory

Neo Member
I was just talking to somebody about how I would've bought the PC rerelease if Squeenix had sold it on Steam, and lo and behold. I owned the PC version on disc years back - a solid $10 find at Media Play in the original big box. Wish I still had it! I'll probably pick up the Steam release when it inevitably goes on sale.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn it, do I really want to 100% it on Steam now as well?

._. Fine, I'll do it eventually!

controller support hopefully. i gave up playing the SE version cause I couldn't get the 360 controller to work with it.
It's bound to be the same game, but the 360 controller should work with it. Try setting the 360 controller as your preferred device in the Advanced section of the Game Controllers applet or unplugging any other controllers that you have plugged in. For me, it was trying to use my Wii remote as my controller even though it wasn't synced up. Once I removed it from under Devices and Printers the game worked with my 360 controller fine.

NZNova

It was available on PC. In a triangle box.
22_pctri_close.jpg

You are a liar. It was a trapezoid box. Had a couple of those, the original Thief came in one too, as did another game I can't recall. They looked unique but were a real pain in the ass.

I had it back in the day, it ran really well on my Monster 3D... then I swapped it out for an NVidia Riva TNT and had to faff about with Glide wrappers. Good times...

Have we had the Steam Cloud / Power Of The Cloud jokes yet? I didn't check.

I'll buy it, only because I hate myself.

I actually have the PC version of FFVIII installed right now. One of the nice things about Windows 8 is the native support for mounting ISOs. So last time I had upgraded my PC I went throug my games collection and ripped all the CDs I could since I then took out that disc drive.

Whogie

Hopefully we can register our serial key from last year's release. Something worth checking before you all whip out your wallets.

Well this is a nice surprise! I've got it on PSN but I rarely carry my Vita with me anymore (totally my fault, I know).

Maybe I'll check this out.

Meia

Doing Durante's fix for Dark Souls was easy too, it doesn't mean you have any idea how to do it before you try. :p

teiresias

So provided this does come out on Steam, is it possible for fans to fix that crap? Because that would seriously keep me from wanting to buy it, no matter how badly I want japanese games on Steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDD-iYkHBhc

NEW WAYS?! Removing the Latin during it and making the music sound worse is not a "new" way to present a song. >>

Meh, I'm one of those that always felt the instruments used in the game were pretty crap even on its original release. The entire OST really lacks any kind of low end throughout the entire thing which has always bugged me. It's got great memorable songs, but I usually prefer to hear them rendered by something other than the original instruments. I wouldn't mind modding in the versions played on the Yamaha DB50XG, you can hear them in this playlist here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL55731C2A92FBB4EE

Obviously, this is just the Yamaha playing back the midi files from the original PC release, and as a result it loses some reverb effects and the vocals from One-Winged Angel, but one can always mod in the PS1 version I suppose rather than a re-rendered version with superior samples.

feel

I wonder if the game holds up for a first ever playthrough in this day and age. Will probably pick it up either way and find out.

Beth Cyra

I wonder if the game holds up for a first ever playthrough in this day and age. Will probably pick it up either way and find out.

There were quite a few people who gave it a shot when it hit PSN just to try it out and walked away pleased.

Granted others didn't care for it, but it was a good sign with the amount of people who said they tried it for the first time and came away happy.

Meia

Battle system is pretty generic, but have to imagine the materia system still holds up really well. Story wasn't too bad either, so I think it'd be ok.

Of course I want this to be a gateway to get the other/older FFs on Steam, so yeah. More japanese developers need to be on pc.

sn00zer

So is it the PC version of FF7 then, because if memories of my computer crashing are correct...that version sucked

TheD

The Detective
Meh, I'm one of those that always felt the instruments used in the game were pretty crap even on its original release. The entire OST really lacks any kind of low end throughout the entire thing which has always bugged me. It's got great memorable songs, but I usually prefer to hear them rendered by something other than the original instruments. I wouldn't mind modding in the versions played on the Yamaha DB50XG, you can hear them in this playlist here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL55731C2A92FBB4EE

Obviously, this is just the Yamaha playing back the midi files from the original PC release, and as a result it loses some reverb effects and the vocals from One-Winged Angel, but one can always mod in the PS1 version I suppose rather than a re-rendered version with superior samples.
Anyone else find it funny that the XG version of the tracks played via a XG sampler often sound better than not just the horrible general midi version but also the real studio version due to how crappy some of the synths they used were?

I really hope I can just take my SE store game save and throw it in the Steam version save folder and it unlocks every achievement.

I bought the PC re-release last year. Should I buy this again? =/ I wish they send a steam code to all those who bought the PC re-release.

teiresias

Anyone else find it funny that the XG version of the tracks played via a XG sampler often sound better than not just the horrible general midi version but also the real studio version due to how crappy some of the synths they used were?

Did the PC release have special versions just for the Yamaha? I thought these were just it playing back the midi files.

EDIT: Did some reading. I never realized XG was an extended standard with more polyphony than standard General MIDI. Interesting and makes sense now.

Aroo

Neo Member
I still have the game discs for FF7 and FF8 on the PC.

I liked them but 7 was no where near as good as the fanboys kept screaming about it elsewhere. I still remember the EB Games employee who told me I had shit taste before I didn't think it was perfect. (FF6/FF3US is my favorite.)

I have a copy of Windows XP I can run on VMWare fusion (MBP13 2011.) Wonder if it's worth buying this and using the mods or just playing the original. Are there mods to play the originals without the discs?

Grief.exe

I kind of balk at games like this when I go to How Long to Beat and its a 40+ hour game.

I need to play this title, but 40 hours for one game is a little much.

ctothej

I kind of balk at games like this when I go to How Long to Beat and its a 40+ hour game.

I need to play this title, but 40 hours for one game is a little much.

Have you never played it before? TBH you can beat it in 25-30, but the game stretches closer to 50 if you like to explore, do sidequests, maybe level up here and there, etc.

Grief.exe

Have you never played it before? TBH you can beat it in 25-30, but the game stretches closer to 50 if you like to explore, do sidequests, maybe level up here and there, etc.

I've never played it actually. I played a little bit on my PSP years ago.

reddmyst

Haven't played it since 1998 and have not experienced the PC version.

Will be getting this if it's $9.99 (or less).

Grief.exe

We can only hope its not riddled with that ridiculous DRM like it was on the Square store.

I'm sorry, but I'm very surprised people actually purchased that copy.

No way for me to discern, from the registry entry, whether it will have the same DRM or not. Once they complete the installation and configuration sections I might be able to tell.

Wow, I might just have to get this. I remember modding the PC version some years ago, with varying degrees of success.

Plus, I mean, an achievement for getting Aerith's 4th limit break? XD

Top Bottom