• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Final Fantasy VII Steam Release is Imminent [UPDATE] Now available on Steam

Cheddahz

Banned
I don't mind paying full price for FFVII, because I love PS1 FF games

Screw the Steam Summer Sale, just give me my FFVII!

Its pretty common for games released near the Summer Sale.

Otherwise they just get completely overlooked by games with much deeper discounts.

Likely what will happen is Square of Japan won't discount the title at all during the Summer sale, then blame the consumers for the low sales.

I see. Perhaps it should be prudent to wait on it then.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hm, I have the PSN version of this but never played FFVII. Do you guys think I should play is on PS3, PSP, or PC?

My advice? Prepare your bodies for imminent arrival. :3 This has been a long time coming.

Now if only SE-J could be convinced to release newer products on the PC that aren't MMO titles...

Is the music still shitty or the same as PSX version?

The music requires a bit of tweaking but you can make it way more damn awesome than the original PSX version, tbh.

My advice? Prepare your bodies. :3 This has been a long time coming.

Now if only SE-J could be convinced to release newer products on the PC that aren't MMO titles...

The music requires a bit of tweaking but you can make it way more damn awesome than the original PSX version, tbh.
But it doesn't get any more awesome than the original PSX!

But yeah, I am one of those guys that wouldn't play modded FF7. Wouldn't feel right and I don't think it needs modding. Of course I'd love them to go all out if they did FF7R!

Grief.exe

But it doesn't get any more awesome than the original PSX!

But yeah, I am one of those guys that wouldn't play modded FF7. Wouldn't feel right and I don't think it needs modding. Of course I'd love them to go all out if they did FF7R!

You can mod in lossless audio quite easily.

Doesn't change anything other than make the music as close to perfect as possible.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I believe there are already.

FFVII is strange because the backgrounds are a fixed resolution. Increasing your rendering resolution will only stretch those images.

Has anyone worked on a way to clean up the images or try to redraw them for higher resolutions?

I believe there are already.

FFVII is strange because the backgrounds are a fixed resolution. Increasing your rendering resolution will only stretch those images.

Weren't the PC pre-rendered backgrounds higher resolution and less compressed than the PSone version's though? I know Final Fantasy VIII's were that way.

Personally waiting for VIII and IX myself.

Were there any downsides to these ports?

Cheddahz

Banned
Weren't the PC pre-rendered backgrounds higher resolution and less compressed than the PSone version's though? I know Final Fantasy VIII's were that way.

I don't think IX had a PC port

atbigelow

The PC backgrounds were actually all double compressed, I believe. Nobody had the source files to recreate them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Considering I'll never get around to playing the PSX version buried in my tickle trunk...this will have to do.

But.. but..

The new PC release has beautiful versions of the music tracks!

One Winged Angel for example!

When I played the SE PC release for a while I didn't really mind the music that much. It certainly didn't sound as good or the same as the PS1 version, but I found it to be just a new variation on songs I know and love. I am sure purists would find it atrociously bad, but for me it was fun to hear these beloved songs in a different way.

Meia

So provided this does come out on Steam, is it possible for fans to fix that crap? Because that would seriously keep me from wanting to buy it, no matter how badly I want japanese games on Steam.

When I played the SE PC release for a while I didn't really mind the music that much. It certainly didn't sound as good or the same as the PS1 version, but I found it to be just a new variation on songs I know and love. I am sure purists would find it atrociously bad, but for me it was fun to hear these beloved songs in a different way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDD-iYkHBhc

NEW WAYS?! Removing the Latin during it and making the music sound worse is not a "new" way to present a song. >>

Cheddahz

Banned
So provided this does come out on Steam, is it possible for fans to fix that crap? Because that would seriously keep me from wanting to buy it, no matter how badly I want japanese games on Steam.

Yes, you'll be able to access the game files to fix the soundtrack easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDD-iYkHBhc

NEW WAYS?! Removing the Latin during it and making the music sound worse is not a "new" way to present a song. >>

Yes, hearing these songs with different sounding instruments was new to me because I hadn't heard them that way before. Yeah, for better or worse. Wasn't referring to the One Wing Angel mangling either, as losing the latin is pretty sad. But I did have fun hearing new versions of these songs. No need to get all defensive as I never said the PC version's midi was better. I just didn't hate it.

I haven't played the PS1 FF games in a really long time. Getting them on Steam, hell all the FF's on Steam would be awesome.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why it's not fully up yet appearing in Steam's search area. Any dev/publisher know how that works on the back end?

Top Bottom