• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Weekly Deals – PS Plus Specials and Deep Silver Sale

Rymuth

Sony should've just called this sale 'PS2 Classics sale'.

Damn...Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2...oooh Twisted Metal...

RedBoot

I hope people weren't buying those PS2 Classics right away.

Most of them have had week 1 discounts anyway. Primal's 25% off this week, for instance. I'm not sweating much over paying $2-3 more to get them much earlier. The frequent sales are easing the lack of cross-buy with the PS3 versions.

LakeEarth

Parapa is bought. Dark Cloud 2 is tempting, but I'll hold off as I bought Rogue Galaxy in a previous sale and have barely started it.

Ralemont

not me
Same question. I never Played Dark Cloud or its sequel. Should I play the first game or skip straight to the second?

The first game is okay. Charming launch-era game that introduced the basics of village and weapon building. Dark Cloud 2 takes the interesting novel concepts of 1 and really fleshes them out and makes them fun, along with introducing a slew of new mechanics and minigames. Having played 1 for~70 hours and 2 for ~150, I'd say skip to 2. If you don't enjoy 2, you most certainly won't enjoy 1, and they aren't connected story-wise so no risk there.

As for whether you'll like DC2, if you like a game that has a lot of different smaller things to do while you're progressing, you'll love it. It has photo collection mode, it has a detailed city (village) building aspect, complicated weapon evolution/crafting, fishing minigames and then your own fish farm where you can raise your fish with stat building and even breeding, to the eventual goal of racing your fish. And after beating a level, you can play golf on the level.

One of my favorite PS2 games.

So, this super bundle they're offering with Saint's Row and Metro Redux.

Having never played a Saint's Row game before, is this bundle worth it for me or should I just get the Metro bundle?

Kind of weird that only the DLC for SR4 is available on PS4 and not SR4 itself.

Edit: Oh shit wait, Re-Relected is a remaster of SR4 plus all the DLC, and then Gat Outta Hell is new DLC? Holy shit.

Ok so rephrasing the question slightly, do I need to have played the other Saint's Row games to enjoy SR4? That is a hell of a deal, 3 full games for $22 plus all DLC and expansions? Damn.

Tagg9

The first game is okay. Charming launch-era game that introduced the basics of village and weapon building. Dark Cloud 2 takes the interesting novel concepts of 1 and really fleshes them out and makes them fun, along with introducing a slew of new mechanics and minigames. Having played 1 for~70 hours and 2 for ~150, I'd say skip to 2. If you don't enjoy 2, you most certainly won't enjoy 1, and they aren't connected story-wise so no risk there.

As for whether you'll like DC2, if you like a game that has a lot of different smaller things to do while you're progressing, you'll love it. It has photo collection mode, it has a detailed city (village) building aspect, complicated weapon evolution/crafting, fishing minigames and then your own fish farm where you can raise your fish with stat building and even breeding, to the eventual goal of racing your fish. And after beating a level, you can play golf on the level.

One of my favorite PS2 games.
Thanks for the detailed writeup! Will definitely get Dark Cloud 2 now.

delSai

Ok so rephrasing the question slightly, do I need to have played the other Saint's Row games to enjoy SR4? That is a hell of a deal, 3 full games for $22 plus all DLC and expansions? Damn.

They quote events from the other 3 games in it but i felt like it didn't matter much, and not knowing the characters wont be a problem either, i personally would say it does not matter and you can just go ahead and have fun, the Story doesn't really matter anyway. But be warned the port is fucking awful, one of the worst i've played on Ps4.

Maybe wait for a second opinion on that "Do i need to know the old games", because maybe i'm alone thinking that way.

So, this super bundle they're offering with Saint's Row and Metro Redux.

Having never played a Saint's Row game before, is this bundle worth it for me or should I just get the Metro bundle?

Kind of weird that only the DLC for SR4 is available on PS4 and not SR4 itself.

Edit: Oh shit wait, Re-Relected is a remaster of SR4 plus all the DLC, and then Gat Outta Hell is new DLC? Holy shit.

Saints Row Re-elected is a piece of shit. Stay away, not worth going through this shitty port.

I think I'll save my wallet money for a potential E3 sale. I already have enough PS2 Classics with just the GTA Trilogy and Rogue Galaxy.

Is Saints Row worth it on the PS4? May get the pack with Metro.
If not, Metro Redux only it is.
No. Saints Row 4 on PS4 is a garbage piece of shit port that should be avoided. Do not buy it.

I haven't heard about any problems with Metro games though, but didn't play them myself.

I've had SR4 on PS4 for a long time and played it to completion and I never noticed anything wrong with it.
I didn't know it had this kind of reputation.

same here. i had some random crashes early on in the game but otherwise it's solid, runs well, looks fine. i don't see any reason to judge it harshly.
"runs well" = has an inconsistent frame rate throughout the entire game, 20-60 fps. Lots of screen tearing - there is a v-sync option in the menu that does literally nothing at all. Also freezes the PS4 occasionally so hard you have to cut the power (hold power button for 10 seconds)

"looks fine" = last gen textures, no anisotropic filtering, no anti aliasing (even last gen versions had anti aliasing), terrible draw distance. Would be fine if it also ran at 60 fps with all the ugliness but see above.

Ricker

Might get Risen 3 at that price to play later...

Hows Risen 3?

Is it simliar to Sacred (more 2 than 3) and Two Worlds? You know the "euro jank" style?

Yep,more Two Worlds then Sacred though...and I didnt play 3 but loved the first and 2 was okay but I never finished.

Wow yikes thanks for the impressions y'all, looks like I'll stick with Metro.

I mean, for $3 more, you may as well throw SR4 in there.

It...looks better than the PS3 version I played before? I was able to complete it?

I also lost whatever clothes were in my wardrobe at random and had to hard boot my system about half a dozen times.

But yeah, High Voltage did a number on that port. Got the impression from some Volition folks I emailed that they weren't too happy about it, but fixing it would be up to High Voltage and Deep Silver, and, well.

If you don't have any other way of playing it, it's...mostly functional, and still a good game. But, woof.

I mean, for $3 more, you may as well throw SR4 in there.

It...looks better than the PS3 version I played before? I was able to complete it?

I also lost whatever clothes were in my wardrobe at random and had to hard boot my system about half a dozen times.

But yeah, High Voltage did a number on that port. Got the impression from some Volition folks I emailed that they weren't too happy about it, but fixing it would be up to High Voltage and Deep Silver, and, well.

If you don't have any other way of playing it, it's...mostly functional, and still a good game. But, woof.

It's actually much more than $3 more to add them together. Getting the Metro Redux bundle is $12 but getting the Metro Redux / Saint's Row bundle is $22. Unless there's something I'm missing or misunderstanding what you meant?

Oh wait did you mean Metro Redux + Gat out of Hell is only $3 cheaper than the bundle? That would make sense. I have a PS3 so I could play it on there I just figured this would be the most convenient and inexpensive way to play everything. Plus then I wouldn't need to set my PS3 back up again.

HMMMMM

This is a typo right? Would be crazy if they secretly dropped Modern Warfare on PS4 like that, especially considering Remastered comes out this year.
ZobcmSn.png

chaosaeon

Anyone have an extra PS+ trial code they could pm me ? lol. What are the odds the Dark Cloud games go on sale for less than this any time soon.

Top Bottom