• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP in 2013 - The End?

Takao

Banned
I would say this is the end but I know better than that. Every time I say game/year X is the swansong of PSP some crazy publisher comes from the shadows and farts in my face.

In Japan PSP will definitely top the 10 year mark. The thing came out in 2004, and is still getting support in that region.

Bog

Junior Ace
T.A.C. Heroes: Big Red One - Storm City Games - Digital Download - Out Now! - $19.99
hjXeSwk.jpg
68cVJlH.jpg

Okay

This a school project?

just updated the op, only 3 more announced games to come, though I think Natsume has more in the pipeline, and there's the Elminage II/III/IV rumor as well.
Gaijinworks/Monkey Paw apparently intents to continue releasing the Class of Heroes games as long as they meet sales expectations.

Slermy

Oooh, glad this thread was bumped. Didn't realize Black Rock Shooter had been released, and Carnage Heart EXA looks pretty cool.

Clov

Gaijinworks/Monkey Paw apparently intents to continue releasing the Class of Heroes games as long as they meet sales expectations.

According to Vic on the Gaijinworks forum, he's trying to get ahold of some non-Class of Heroes PSP stuff as well. No word on what it is exactly though, but the thread he posted in (about PSP games specifically) might provide some hints.

Maybe it's Class of Heroes 2 as well (w/ euro languages), not sure.
Gaijinworks committed to an EU PSN release from the start, and in general it doesn't seem necessary for US PSP publishers to have a European parter for digital releases. So this is quite likely a game that hasn't been released in the west before.

Dwayne

Ross Brierley ‏@Ghostlight_Ross 3h
It's already out in North America.

doh. Anyone serious about gaming will have already played it then.

Gaijinworks committed to an EU PSN release from the start, and in general it doesn't seem necessary for US PSP publishers to have a European parter for digital releases. So this is quite likely a game that hasn't been released in the west before.

Yeah, Monkey Paw Games have already released all their PS1 Classics games on the EU PSN (including Tomba 2, which still isn't on the US PSN for some reason), so they'll undoubtedly do it.

WTF?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Only game that I can think of is Elminage. Not many interesting PSP games that were only released on the US PSN.

Edit: Or Hexyz Force, but that's pretty old by now.

Edit2: Seems Unchained Blades also was never released in Europe. But that would mean they'd skip the 3DS version.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

When can we expeect the reveal?

Only game that I can think of is Elminage. Not many interesting PSP games that were only released on the US PSN.

Edit: Or Hexyz Force, but that's pretty old by now.

Edit2: Seems Unchained Blades also was never released in Europe. But that would mean they'd skip the 3DS version.

I would buy eliminage or unchained blade on vita if priced right.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, some of these games actually looks really good. I havent payed attention to my PSP for a long time, but guess I should start look into it again.

Been rumored for a while that UFO are also doing II, III, and maybe Gothic.

Great games, but please, ANYONE, get them away from UFO. (TOOOOOOOM)

wat. you wouldn't see a 2nd or 3rd Elminage from xseed after the first. better ask them where wizardry 2 is. i'm glad UFO picked it up.

cj_iwakura

wat. you wouldn't see a 2nd or 3rd Elminage from xseed after the first. better ask them where wizardry 2 is. i'm glad UFO picked it up.

I am too, but their effort was lazy at best. I'm still bitter over not getting Wizardry 2 though. Not as if the PSN is buried in dungeon crawlers...

I am too, but their effort was lazy at best. I'm still bitter over not getting Wizardry 2 though. Not as if the PSN is buried in dungeon crawlers...

it was good enough for me. they even patched the game. i know it wasn't perfect, but it was enough to make the game playable. we know they want to get better.

about xseed : i have no hope for wizardry 2 left.

Dwayne

Potential Collector’s Edition:
Ghostlight said:
So, is there going to be a boxed Collector’s Edition, I hear you ask? Well, it’s not been decided yet but rumour has it that there might be a special promotional version in the works. If it goes ahead, stock of the Special Edition will be very limited indeed and the game will not be released in a standard version, so it’ll certainly be one for all you fanatical collectors out there.

Dwayne

Ghostlight don't plan to do any work to the translation beyond applying the latest patch. No plans to expand the manual either, which would be nice (I found it a bit short). Oh well!

Dwayne

Added Mystic Chronicles release date, and Sweet Fuse's release month.

This might just be the end for notable PSP releases in the West! Here's hoping for the rumoured Elminage 2/3/etc and another Gaijinworks release, but currently there's only two games to go and they'll both be out in the next 60 days.

cj_iwakura

At this point it's looking like dungeon crawlers will be the end of the PSP, definitely if Victor delivers on CoH3 and hopefully if UFO delivers on Elminage II.
(Sad state of affairs when I'm waiting on a great publisher to localize a decent game and a mediocre one to localize a fantastic game.)

Added Mystic Chronicles release date, and Sweet Fuse's release month.

This might just be the end for notable PSP releases in the West! Here's hoping for the rumoured Elminage 2/3/etc and another Gaijinworks release, but currently there's only two games to go and they'll both be out in the next 60 days.
I'm not sure the August release date is certain for Sweet Fuse. They haven't released any media or information for the game since the original announcement, so that seems a bit close.

Edit: Well, it seems that the August date probably is set then, if this Siliocenra article is correct. I'm certainly not complaining, but some new media would be nice to hype the game up.

d31m0s

With Corpse Party:BOS getting a release date, it seemed like the right time to start a new thread (old thread - PSP in 2012).

Games to Come!
Mystic Chronicles - Natsume - Digital Download - July 16th - $14.99
bDqIi7T.png
BoUhEpO.png

Sweet Fuse - Aksys Games - Physical Release & Digital Download - August
sf-_0004.jpg
sf-_0008.jpg

LTTP: Europe
Elminage Original - UFO Interactive/Ghostlight - Possible Collector's Edition/Digital Download - ???
pwyMH.png
DBhYd.png

Out Now!
Class of Heroes 2 - MonkeyPaw - Limited Physical Release, Digital Download - June 4th - $24.99 Digital, $36.99 Digital+Physical Combo - NeoGAF OT!!
kkCql.jpg
1G1LN.jpg

T.A.C. Heroes: Big Red One - Storm City Games - Digital Download - Out Now! - $19.99
hjXeSwk.jpg
68cVJlH.jpg

Black Rock Shooter - NIS America - Digital Release - US: April 23rd - EU: April 24th - $19.99
NUSPv.jpg
EErug.jpg

Carnage Heart EXA - Natsume - Unknown Retail/Digital Release - March 19th - $29.99 - NeoGAF - OT!!
KOwVH.jpg
Uyz6c.jpg

Hakuouki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi - Aksys Games - Physical Release and Digital Download - Out Now! - $24.99 Digital, $29.99 Physical
clTpQ.jpg
QHqKz.jpg

Generation of Chaos: Pandora’s Reflection - NIS America - Digital Download -Out Now! - $19.99 - £15.99
0FBRz.jpg
csJuj.jpg

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - XSeed - Digital Download - Out Now! - $19.99 (US), ??? (EU) - NeoGAF OT!!
0ZHjS.jpg
hOrHq.jpg

Am I missing anything? What's everyone looking forward to?

Type 0 is coming i know it right guys? Right?!

Gvaz

Banned
So I haven't played my PSP in a while since I'm feeling like I want to get a Vita when I have the money, even though from what I can tell there's no rpgs/tactical games out for it that I want.

That being said, is there any decent rpgs or tactical games? Thinking games? Not a huge fan of things like god of war or MGS on this system because the controls are uncomfortable.

I've played Jeanne D'arc, and tried Crisis Core and thought it was fucking horrible, and I never finished P3P.

Dwayne

Just updated the op to move Sweet Fuse from coming to out now.

As of today there is no announced Japanese developed western release PSP games left to be released.

Rumours of Class of Heroes 3 though...

bomblord

Banned
How many will be localized though? (I don't speak Japanese). Also Corpse Party was good but, book of shadows seems to take it a little too far IMHO.

I still have a PSP.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So is there still anything other than Trails in the Sky: SC and Class of Heroes 3 to hope for? Any unlocalized PSP games that could have a chance?

Also, I'd like to thank the OP for keeping this list updated all this time. Very nice!

RMI

Banned
wow, the PSP death lineup has more games that I want to play than either next-gen launch lineup. While it's sad to see the PSP go, I can only hope that the support for the console moves on to its successor.

So is there still anything other than Trails in the Sky: SC and Class of Heroes 3 to hope for? Any unlocalized PSP games that could have a chance?

Also, I'd like to thank the OP for keeping this list updated all this time. Very nice!

Officially not many but VC3 should get the fan translation out soonish hopefully. Also there is the Type-0 situation :(.

While it's sad to see the PSP go
huehuehue

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I guess I'll post it here.

I recently got back into playing my launch PSP 1000. I picked up Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core. I'm loving Birth by Sleep but the ghosting is killing me. Seriously, I can't play for more than 30 minutes before I feel sick. I'm thinking of selling my PSP 1000 and picking up a used PSP 3000 because I heard they don't have the problem. Good idea?

Top Bottom