• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

mhayze

That is not true.

PSVR doesn't have interpolation and PS4 can render native 60, 90 or 120hz.

60hz is the minimum and not up to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

Not sure if it's been answered definitively, but here's where I got the idea from:

"Additionally, in the jump to 120Hz, Sony has also implemented asynchronous time-warp, allowing 60fps games to be frame-rate upscaled to the native refresh of the HMD panel. The process also subtly warps the image based on the very latest motion data from the headset. Async time-warp can actually applied to all frames (even on native 120Hz code) and helps reduce potential nausea issues by ensuring that visual response to HMD movement is as fast as it can be. With that in mind, we have to wonder whether this is actually applied by the external processor box - going down this route could reduce latency significantly as opposed to implementing it during rendering."

Interpolation or async time warp if you prefer is happening, whether on the device or PS4 remains to be seen. I shouldn't have said 'upto 60hz' since 120hz is possible natively, but there will be interpolation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

Not sure if it's been answered definitively, but here's where I got the idea from:

"Additionally, in the jump to 120Hz, Sony has also implemented asynchronous time-warp, allowing 60fps games to be frame-rate upscaled to the native refresh of the HMD panel. The process also subtly warps the image based on the very latest motion data from the headset. Async time-warp can actually applied to all frames (even on native 120Hz code) and helps reduce potential nausea issues by ensuring that visual response to HMD movement is as fast as it can be. With that in mind, we have to wonder whether this is actually applied by the external processor box - going down this route could reduce latency significantly as opposed to implementing it during rendering."

Interpolation or async time warp if you prefer is happening, whether on the device or PS4 remains to be seen. I shouldn't have said 'upto 60hz' since 120hz is possible natively, but there will be interpolation.

Asynchronous time-warp or "reprojection" is not just interpolation between the new and previous frame that generates a new frame. It is the current or doubled frame with adjustments that keep the movement your head is making aligned smoothly with what you see. That quote does not mention interpolation, though it does incorrectly suggest the breakout box is handling that.

Top Bottom