• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR sold out within 5 minutes (UK and German amazon store)

Chobel

Come on dude don't be dense abou it. PSVR needs camera, no way around it. Yet their initial announcement failed to mention it just so it could be $399. COuld it have been $399 with the camera included? Sure, but why would they do that if they can charge extra.

They're gonna announce Camera/Move bundle if that's what you want.

papo

I honestly have no idea where the line is. Why shouldn't you call for the cost of PS4 to be included since it is also required? Is it just because you have one and not the other? I have both, so it shouldn't be included for me because I don't need two.

It is easy. If the VR headset needs X Component to work it should be included in the package. This is not a power cable or headphones or a controller. This is a component needed to actually be able to use the headset.

Some people already have cameras.

A lot of people bought the camera. A lot of people sold it because they had nothing to do with it which is how I got mine. But it should still be included if it is needed. How hard is this to understand. It's like if you bought a PS4, you were happy it was $399, only to find out that no controller was included.

I have a camera plus 2 move controls so the price of VR is $399 for me (well $550 CAD). I would hate if they priced it at $499 and included the move controllers plus the camera because why would I want an extra camera and controllers?

In your case it is more than $399, but for all the people that already own a camera, why should they have to pay an extra cost?

If you think that Sony should list the most expensive price, that's just not how it works. Similar to when the PS3 launched, they listed the price of the 20gb model, even though the 60gb model was $100 more.

I already have the camera, bought it used because although they sold a lot, many of them were sold.

Please try to understand the argument from the point of people wanting to get into VR. You and me we have the camera, but are a minority. It should have been us asking for a bundle without a camera/Move not the other way around.

If Sony says PS4 camera is needed 100% to use the VR set and does not included it in the set, does not even give a lot of attention to that, then it is dishonest. Like you say Sony only aimed to list the cheapest price, but in the example you gave both console worked completely out of the box so it makes sense. Here you NEED the camera, no way around it at all. All the people that got the camera should be given the option to have a bundle without it, but there shouldn't be only one bundle without one of the main components included.

They're gonna announce Camera/Move bundle if that's what you want.

And I have high hopes this is true, but it is dishonest IMO to announce it as $399 when you actually need that extra camera.

It was a shitty pre-order roll-out, though.

Still, I'm confident I'm going to buy one in stores sometimes. I wasn't expecting a pre-order from Sony right now, and since they don't have an official distribution channel, I knew I wasn't going to get one.

And stock will be low as fuck for months, knowing Sony.

I'll kill time waiting for supply with Vive and Rift. Too bad I won't be getting all three of them day-one.

EDIT: well, this looks kinda stupid now xD

Hasney

If Sony says PS4 camera is needed 100% to use the VR set and does not included it in the set, does not even give a lot of attention to that, then it is dishonest. Like you say Sony only aimed to list the cheapest price, but in the example you gave both console worked completely out of the box so it makes sense. Here you NEED the camera, no way around it at all. All the people that got the camera should be given the option to have a bundle without it, but there shouldn't be only one bundle without one of the main components included.

You NEED the PS4 as well, that's the part I'm not getting, why not include that too?

All the retail pre order pages in the UK have already been very clear about needing the camera and doing bundles with the camera (other than Amazon with regards to the bundle, but their page clearly states you need the camera).

Plum

Damn, I'm hearing this news after preordering. I'm hoping the delay for units in the second batch is more late-October, mid-November instead of early-2017

I should have saved up enough and bought the camera, love and games by then so it's not a massive issue. Annoying though.

karma2578

Ordered mine within 10 mins of GAME tweeting last night as I had a feeling this would happen with Amazon announcing the time in advance

Hasney

Ordered mine within 10 mins of GAME tweeting last night as I had a feeling this would happen with Amazon announcing the time in advance

Yeah, Game was weird last night. Kept saying stay tuned and I wanted to sleep dammit, so glad they delivered. Managed to get mine in by finding the link about 10 minutes before they even Tweeted thankfully, so should be really really locked in.

Reallink

I honestly have no idea where the line is. Why shouldn't you call for the cost of PS4 to be included since it is also required? Is it just because you have one and not the other? I have both, so it shouldn't be included for me because I don't need two.

Because there are 40 million PS4's and maybe 2 or 3 million cameras, only a small subset of whom will be willing to buy into $400 VR. Worst case you'd probably be talking about a few hundred thousand people who would be slighted by the redundancy of a packed in camera. That's honestly infinitesimal on the scale console's operate. Even the full 2 or 3 million is nothing in the PS4's lifespan. 6mo in I think they announced 15% attach and 900k sold, which was certainly tilted by early adopters who buy everything, compounded by an expectation the device may see actual game support going forward. With no real support ever materializing (prior to VR) and expansion into the more mainstream buyers, it's not unreasonable to assume the attach has dropped to 5-10% (which is where I pulled my numbers, admittedly pure conjecture but educated and not entirely out of my ass). Doesn't really seem worth producing multiple SKU's and confusing customers/retailers with packages that won't operate out of the box. Ultimately I think Sony saw the Rift/Vive's prices as an opportunity to seize some extra profit. This wasn't about "Good Guy Sony" looking out for early camera buyers like yourself.

papo

You NEED the PS4 as well, that's the part I'm not getting, why not include that too?

All the retail pre order pages in the UK have already been very clear about needing the camera and doing bundles with the camera (other than Amazon with regards to the bundle, but their page clearly states you need the camera).

Stop trolling dude, you are being freaking dense.

If you are in any way interested in the PSVR then you already have a PS4, if not then you will probably be able to buy a PS4+PSVR bundle in the future.

You don't get why if you need a camera to use the PSVR that the camera was not included in the set? Let me put it to you this way. If you bought a PS4 and it did not include the controller for the $399 price, would you be mad that they lied and the price is actually $460?

Also it shouldn't be on Amazon to bundle this stuff because stock is not 1:1 so if the camera runs out by any chance a lot of people can be screwed.

Chobel

A lot of people bought the camera. A lot of people sold it because they had nothing to do with it which is how I got mine. But it should still be included if it is needed. How hard is this to understand. It's like if you bought a PS4, you were happy it was $399, only to find out that no controller was included.

I already have the camera, bought it used because although they sold a lot, many of them were sold.

Please try to understand the argument from the point of people wanting to get into VR. You and me we have the camera, but are a minority. It should have been us asking for a bundle without a camera/Move not the other way around.

And I have high hopes this is true, but it is dishonest IMO to announce it as $399 when you actually need that extra camera.

So if Sony announced $450 bundle (or $500) that includes the camera, you would have no issue with it, right?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just preordered mine from Amazon.co.uk - seems like they got a second batch. Maybe the first batch was limited to make good PR

Chittagong

Gold Member
Damn, I'm hearing this news after preordering. I'm hoping the delay for units in the second batch is more late-October, mid-November instead of early-2017

I should have saved up enough and bought the camera, love and games by then so it's not a massive issue. Annoying though.

I'm totally convinced second batch will ship at launch too. We are almost 8 months out, they have plenty of time to increase their launch volumes based on their order book. No existing component has a lead time of more than 6 months.

papo

So if Sony announced $450 bundle (or $500) that includes the camera, you would have no issue with it, right?

No issue at all, because it would be cheaper for those who don't have the camera to get it. No problem at all, it is what I expected because the set simply does not work without it.

raphier

Banned
I know from the music events that if tickets are sold out within 5 minutes (usually 30 seconds) then all those preorders went to the pre-order bots and somebody is going to be profiting from resale.

I am ready.

V2seAEd.png

majik13

It is easy. If the VR headset needs X Component to work it should be included in the package. This is not a power cable or headphones or a controller. This is a component needed to actually be able to use the headset..

It isn't that easy. The camera has been sold seperately for years, and has other uses outside just PSVR. Its just a way to keep unnecessary costs down for millions of people.

It was available in Germany?!

GODDAMMIT!

it still is. But the question is if mediamarkt and Saturn take more preorders than they can then deliver. They did that with the Ps4. Many preordered and later they said if you didnt preorder to a certain date you have to wait.

it still is. But the question is if mediamarkt and Saturn take more preorders than they can then deliver. They did that with the Ps4. Many preordered and later they said if you didnt preorder to a certain date you have to wait.

Exactly. I'm happy to have a preorder placed there, but I'm ready to cancel it if amazon makes more stock available.

Pre ordered at game last night as a placeholder just incase, but then managed to get in on the 1st batch @ Amazon at 10:58 this morning, so the game one got cancelled!

This is now going to be the longest spring/summer ever. :(

Hasney

Because there are 40 million PS4's and maybe 2 or 3 million cameras, only a small subset of whom will be willing to buy into $400 VR. Worst case you'd probably be talking about a few hundred thousand people who would be slighted by the redundancy of a packed in camera. That's honestly infinitesimal on the scale console's operate. Even the full 2 or 3 million is nothing in the PS4's lifespan. 6mo in I think they announced 15% attach and 900k sold, which was certainly tilted by early adopters who buy everything, compounded by an expectation the device may see actual game support going forward. With no real support ever materializing (prior to VR) and expansion into the more mainstream buyers, it's not unreasonable to assume the attach has dropped to 5-10% (which is where I pulled my numbers, admittedly pure conjecture but educated and not entirely out of my ass). Doesn't really seem worth producing multiple SKU's and confusing customers/retailers with packages that won't operate out of the box. Ultimately I think Sony saw the Rift/Vive's prices as an opportunity to seize some extra profit. This wasn't about "Good Guy Sony" looking out for early camera buyers like yourself.

I'm not saying it's good guy Sony, but surely there's likely to be some cross over as to the owners of niche things like the camera and the VR? I mean, those that were in the pre-order window of these apparent minutes surely knew a camera was needed at this point. It seems like when PS4 pre-orders are live, the actual bundle will also be revealed so it's probably lost here in Europe as it's been a clusterfuck, but I see absolutely no reason to have to call the price with a camera.

Stop trolling dude, you are being freaking dense.

If you are in any way interested in the PSVR then you already have a PS4, if not then you will probably be able to buy a PS4+PSVR bundle in the future.

You don't get why if you need a camera to use the PSVR that the camera was not included in the set? Let me put it to you this way. If you bought a PS4 and it did not include the controller for the $399 price, would you be mad that they lied and the price is actually $460?

Also it shouldn't be on Amazon to bundle this stuff because stock is not 1:1 so if the camera runs out by any chance a lot of people can be screwed.

Well, I bought a 3DS XL in Europe and didn't have a charger and had no bones about that. I'd have done my research before I put down any money and knew exactly what I needed. If the XB1 controller wasn't re-designed and they used the 360 one again, I'd be fine with them knocking the pad off the console sticker price to let me use my already existing controllers, so long as it was clearly labelled on the website listings that I needed one in case I didn't own a 360. Pass that saving onto me.

Pre-orders back up at Amazon UK.

Yeah, but not for launch day. Judging by the below, it seems like PAL region stores did get some number estimates of the first stock so it's not just a total guesstimate:

Good to know the second shipment is already planned pre-Christmas though.

Hasney

Well, one would hope that they manufacture some more for pre-order given that there's more than 6 months until release date.

It's not always that easy. Dealing with multiple suppliers then having to book another production line somewhere (and usually for at least a year on large order goods) means this has likely already been locked in 6 months ago. Good news seems to be that according to MightyApe store in NZ, the second shipment is pre Christmas.

Did it really sell out that quickly in the UK? :0

I had an email through from Amazon today sayi g it was going to be up for pre order at 11AM, I logged in at about 12 and managed to get a pre-order..

Did I get second batch then? Anyway of roughly figuring it out

Either way I wouldn't mind waiting

Top Bottom