• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 needs to sell over 2 million copies at $60 for Fig Investor break even

Timeless

Is Psychonauts actually good? I've seen videos of it and it seems like the writing and humor might be good, but the gameplay looked really uninteresting compared to other 3D platformers (Mario Galaxy 1, Mario 64, de Blob).

SpaceWolf

Banned
giphy.gif

Is Psychonauts actually good? I've seen videos of it and it seems like the writing and humor might be good, but the gameplay looked really uninteresting compared to other 3D platformers (Mario Galaxy 1, Mario 64, de Blob).

From specifically a platforming standpoint? Eh it's whatever. With a really annoying part at the end. That's not what kept me going though, no.

Bamboo

Gameplay-wise it's never in the same league as 3D Mario. Just navigating your character is never as satisfying. It has nice writing, likable characters, cool setting and a charming and creative world. Some side stories are actually really great. There are some great gameplay ideas too, yet it never feels like they reach their full potential. I'd still recommend it, especially if you enjoy the humor and appreciate new and good ideas. 10 bucks for PC is worth it, or you wait for a sale. If you plan on playing on console, check the version you're about to get. IIRC some had audio problems.

nynt9

After the earlier kickstarter fiascos Tim and co have had, I'd never invest in them. They've shown to be irresponsible at best if not incompetent and untrustworthy.

Sou Da

So I know there's a big internet hateboner for Double Fine but uh, where's the Consortium/Wasteland 3 version of this thread?

Well uh

good luck

edit-

Wait it went from 1.7 million copies at $21 to make 80% back to 2 million copies at $60? They changed the terms on the investors?

That is fuuuucked.

Justinh

No. It won't happen. I won't even say good luck because PN is a niche game despite how much the fanbase praises it. There's no way it'll make those 2 million copies at 60 bucks Games drop in price too fast these days unless you are a heavy hitter.
Yeah, I've never played through the entire game, but I guess I can see why people like it so much. I guess it's just the loud fans that give the game so much praise that it just seemed more popular to me at the time. I kinda feel like the same thing happened with Beyond Good and Evil, and Beyond Good and Evil 2 won't be successful either.
Frankly, this looks like fraud to me. Watch Fig pull the same bullshit with the Wasteland 2 campaign.
There was bullshit with the Wasteland 2 campaign? I didn't know that.
I knew there were some shit from the Spacebase DF-9 early access though.

Yep. As much as I loved the first game and was willing to help it into fruition, I wasn't willing to take a loss on an investment. The sales figures they had were generous at best, especially considering the inclusion of Humble Bundle sales for the first game.

neshcom

Banned
I'm not totally clued in on how these numbers are presented, but wouldn't the break-even number be even higher. This is assuming the $1.70/unit and full 6000 investor numbers plus a potential point in sales where Double Fine's take goes up?

Striek

Fig is a good concept with terrible execution.

For the first (negligible) $1 million dollars , investors are getting 8.5% of the revenue Fig receives. The developer and Fig pocket the rest. It then drops to 3%.

The problem is simple. The proportion of money potentially invested by enthusiasts (at $3 million) would be much higher than the proportion of money paid out. Perhaps 25% of the risk for 3% profit share?

Unless Psychonauts 2 has a budget of you know, $50,000,000. Actually, without providing budgeting information in full its ridiculous that anyone would invest in the first place. A fool and his money...

Illucio

Banned
Going to be really hard for them. If the game gets a 8-8.5 review score it might break even. But their need to get scores of 9 or higher on most news sitea if we ever want to see a 3rd title.

This is like expecting a Killer 7 sequel to sell 5 million, its pretty much impossible.

You would need:
A killer marketing campaign, a 10/10 game and a game with something attractive to the masses (Similar to how SoTC ended up selling a lot due to word of mouth and the fact that people wanted to fight giant monsters)

eh, investing on fig should be looked at as paying for a game to exist with the potential to make money. basically, you're hedging the bet that a crowd funded title becomes really popular. if you just want traditional rewards, you can be a backer. it's less risky, but, if the in the unlikely scenario the title blows up in popularity, you just have a copy of the game instead of potentially thousands of dollars.

There was bullshit with the Wasteland 2 campaign? I didn't know that.
Wasteland 3, sorry. And the bullshit hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised is that the return estimates of the ongoing Fig campaign prove to be fraudulently optimistic.

hollomat

Banned
I'm not totally clued in on how these numbers are presented, but wouldn't the break-even number be even higher. This is assuming the $1.70/unit and full 6000 investor numbers plus a potential point in sales where Double Fine's take goes up?

The $1.70/ unit is assuming all 6000 shares aren't sold.

If all 6000 shares are sold, its $2.83/unit going to investors. And at $500 per share, if you invest $1,000 you'll own 2 shares so you'll get $2.83/6000*2 per copy sold or about 1/100 of one cent.

After gross revenue hits $13M, the amount per unit does drop to $1.13 so you're getting about 1/250 of one cent per copy sold.

The actual break-even is around 2.2M copies sold. See the link below for the actual math done by someone on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DOUBLEFINE/comments/556q28/a_look_at_figs_psychonauts_2_investment/

eh, investing on fig should be looked at as paying for a game to exist with the potential to make money. basically, you're hedging the bet that a crowd funded title becomes really popular. if you just want traditional rewards, you can be a backer. it's less risky, but, if the in the unlikely scenario the title blows up in popularity, you just have a copy of the game instead of potentially thousands of dollars.

This is the other shitty part of things. Assuming Pyschonauts 2 is the next GTA V (it won't be), your maximum return is capped at 3 times your investment. So if you invest $1,000, even if the game sells 20 million copies, you get $3,000 back and not a penny more.

I am a huge pyschonauts 1 fan and thought this would be a great opportunity to help fund the sequel to a game I love while maybe making some money at the same time. The terms are just too shitty though.

AndrewPL

Ok, without doing any of the analysis myself...that does sound like a horrible investment.

No idea why they'd choose to structure it like that apart from the scam aspect of it all.

You'd be better investing in Konami stocks.

Going to be really hard for them. If the game gets a 8-8.5 review score it might break even. But their need to get scores of 9 or higher on most news sitea if we ever want to see a 3rd title.

The game could end up with a MC score of 95+ and it still wouldn't hit 2 million copies sold at $60 a pop. It's not happening.

Gemeanie

They'll need to generated as much hype as NMS and deliver enough to avoid as much refund.

Honestly even with its previous term it's best to treat the campaign as a crowdfunding to make the game possible than an actual investment

Striek

By the way, the shadiest part of the whole thing hasn't even been mentioned/noticed.

How much game shares are worth depends HEAVILY on how much Fig themselves (the company) invest. They have a deal to provide Double Fine with $600,000 - $3,000,000 toward development costs, and how much Fig gets scales with the investment.

If Fig invests the minimum, it will take about 13,000,000 copies sold at full price for game shares to pay for themselves.

It's a point-and-click adventure game disguised as a platformer.

JABEE

So, the game needs a gross revenue of $120 million to net $0 dollars in net return for fig investors. Is this a joke? Why would anyone put money into this?

Nazo

I love Psychonauts but there is no way its going to make that goal. At best I imagine It'll sell like 500,000. I'm being pretty generous honestly. I hope I'm wrong but doesn't seem too likely.

SilentRob

I don't really see the big deal to be honest. The core crowdfunding campaign is over, the game is getting made.

Now people can additionally invest in the game - not just donate, but actually invest - and DF makes it clear what that means for them. Unsurprisingly, investing in Psychonauts 2 for financial reasons is a hilariously bad idea and why would you ever do that if you hoped for an actual monetary return? It's Psychonauts 2.

None of this should be surprising. I cannot explain why the numbers changed but fact of the matter is that they were clearly announced the second it was actually possible to invest in the game. If they allowed you to invest based on the wrong numbers and then changed them afterwards, that would be a different story.

neshcom

Banned
I don't really see the big deal to be honest. The core crowdfunding campaign is over, the game is getting made.
Well, these investments accounted for $1.87M of the $3.82M raised, so if investors pull out at this point, the game could potentially dip below its goal. Not sure how Fig would handle that at this point though.

So how the hell is fig even supposed to work then for most games if the overhead renders your ability to turn a profit basically nil?

hollomat

Banned
So how the hell is fig even supposed to work then for most games if the overhead renders your ability to turn a profit basically nil?

It only renders the ability to turn a profit to nil for the investors. For the developers themselves, the break even is much lower.

Top Bottom