• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 needs to sell over 2 million copies at $60 for Fig Investor break even

Illucio

Banned
Goddamn. Making niche games profitable is a bitch, isn't it?

I haven't even completed the first Psychonauts. I'm working on it. I apologize if I'm not willing to spend $60 upon release of the sequel. It's just not my way.

I really wish there was an easier way for niche games to reach profitability and to be viable in general.
They just have to be good and people will follow the high scores. Good word of mouth helps too.

But being a sequel doesn't help this game whatsoever. Witcher 3 was an amazing huge open world game that sold even better once people found out through word of mouth.

Some niche games have a lot of potential for success because the times has changed. But Psychonauts may not find that group of people now. But who knows..

Big Nikus

Who ran the numbers on this investment?

This guy

tumblr_n4b7e1I5Ke1s0soqwo1_500.gif

That doesn't seem like a smart way to invest to be fair, hoping on terms that could be more favourable than you agree to.

You misunderstand why some people invest. You're starting with the assumption that investing means you're looking to profit. The people who choose to be an investor on fig are the type of investors who back passion projects with the goal of seeing the person or groups passion project completed. With Kickstarter, you only have rewards. However, just because an investor paid into a project doesn't mean they actually want the product. They just wanted to fullfill somebody's dream. Fig offers traditional crowdfunding rewards, but, for those people who dont actually want the games, they can choose to invest instead and maybe get some money back.

They just have to be good and people will follow the high scores. Good word of mouth helps too.

But being a sequel doesn't help this game whatsoever. Witcher 3 was an amazing huge open world game that sold even better once people found out through word of mouth.

Some niche games have a lot of potential for success because the times has changed. But Psychonauts may not find that group of people now. But who knows..

I don't think simple word of mouth was that much of a boon to Witcher 3's sales. That game had an extensive marketing budget and massive hype behind it. Hell, it had TV commercials. Good word of mouth earns you loyalty, not necessarily a massive consumer base. Also, bear in mind that niche games usually get, at most, niche success. It's nice for the CRPG revivals or high end indies with decent budgets and reasonable sales expectations, but $120 million isn't really feasible.

You misunderstand why some people invest. You're starting with the assumption that investing means you're looking to profit. The people who choose to be an investor on fig are the type of investors who back passion projects with the goal of seeing the person or groups passion project completed. With Kickstarter, you only have rewards. However, just because an investor paid into a project doesn't mean they actually want the product. They just wanted to fullfill somebody's dream. Fig offers traditional crowdfunding rewards, but, for those people who dont actually want the games, they can choose to invest instead and maybe get some money back.

I seriously doubt most investors are the kind of people who would just drop a large sum of money not expecting some degree of payout. That's the reason you invest. To get money back. If they were so altruistic that wanted to "fulfill someone's dream," presumably they would just donate the money to the artist so the artist wouldn't need to pay them back.

Even if the game is 20$ it would need 6 million sales. lol...
So maybe after it goes on sale many times, and becomes a Humble bundle Monthly game, and then a regular Humble Bundle game. Maybe after all that it can break even.

Striek

Uhh, I think you're being naive here. First of all, many sites, including Kickstarter, will let you donate and patronise projects without asking for a reward. Secondly, Fig itself heavily promoted the ability to profit from a games success and mix traditional crowdfunding with investor backers. Third, patrons who care neither for the project itself or the money they donate are surely rare, and signing on as an investor is a clear sign of non-altruistic motivations. Moreover, I'm not sure what your point is, since getting money back is whats being discussed here.

Decado

Wasteland 3, sorry. And the bullshit hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised is that the return estimates of the ongoing Fig campaign prove to be fraudulently optimistic.
I hope not. I'm not investing but I want to see Inexile succeed and something like this could hurt them badly.

At this point it could be just another Double Fine fuckup.

Matt

This is a...weird post.

Investors invest in order to see a return. If all you want to do is donate money, you can do that on Kickstarter.

Foffy

Banned
Frankly, this looks like fraud to me. Watch Fig pull the same bullshit with the Wasteland 3 campaign.

If they're aiming for designs in the game to mirror that of X-COM, at best they're aiming for X-COM numbers, which the game can easily make.

That's a far different target then "sell as much as a leading IP in this genre dominated by Nintendo almost exclusively" which Psychonauts 2 is hilariously aiming at.

Does the return of investment apply to just Psychonauts 2, or all FIG projects?

In any case, that kind of return is absolutely insane. Investors might as well be burning their money. Like, I tried to look up Double Fine's sales (and failed), but anyways I can't help but think none of their games have done anywhere near that kind of movement.

If they're aiming for designs in the game to mirror that of X-COM, at best they're aiming for X-COM numbers, which the game can easily make.

That's a far different target then "sell as much as a leading IP in this genre dominated by Nintendo almost exclusively" which Psychonauts 2 is hilariously aiming at.

What? If you mean XCOM: EU by Firaxis, it had four key things going for it that really helped build momentum for sales (3 of which are impossible for Wasteland 3 to attain):
  1. A massive legacy/cache from the original game in the series, X-COM: UFO Defense;
  2. the backlash from The Bureau: XCOM Declassified being revealed first (which was an FPS, not the strategy game everyone expected of the X-COM franchise);
  3. made by one of the foremost strategy developers in the business, Firaxis;
  4. and a really incredible game on their hands that demoed well and had some good marketing by lead designer Jake Solomon & co.

Making something kind of similar and assuming you'll sell as much as XCOM is just bananas. It struck lightning in more ways than one.

Fox Mulder

This type of model of making fans investors is bullshit and kind of scammy anyways.

Project cars did it and forums had people pushing the game and not really disclosing when they had some stake in it selling well.

bounchfx

considering the game was already funded... and under different terms.. are investors able to request a refund? seems like it would be time to bail.bmp.jpg.gif

As far as Broken Age goes, it's the most worthwhile Kickstarter that I've put money into. Fuck the Broken Age haters. Yeah, it was late, and split in half. But it's no less of a good game, or full game, than I expected.

That said, I'm not investing in this, though I did fund the fig for PC+console codes at the early bird price.

AndrewPL

From Fig's and Double fine's position it looks pretty good, they won't care if it flops since they'll have the investor money.

For investors it is structured like it'll never return a dollar.

I guess that is one way to fund games that are going to crash and burn and only ruin a website and game studios reputation.

Bulby

If you invested in this with a view to making money, you are probably an idiot. Most did it simply to see a game they wanted, realised.

AndrewPL

If you invested in this with a view to making money, you are probably an idiot. Most did it simply to see a game they wanted, realised.

Then the whole platform is a fraud, investing isn't a charity or a black hole to throw money at. The whole point of investing is to share in the rewards and risk...this is not structured to do that.

I mean, I genuinely can't imagine anyone investing in this assuming they were going to make a profit.

If they did they are not intelligent enough to be investing money

Then the whole platform is a fraud, investing isn't a charity or a black hole to throw money at. The whole point of investing is to share in the rewards and risk...this is not structured to do that.

It is structured to do that. It's just a big risk with little reward. If the investment was more of a sure thing on a return then they wouldn't need to go anywhere near crowdfunding

StereoVsn

Fig as a platform itself seemed kind of shady from the start. These shenanigans just reenforce that feeling. There is 0 chance I would personally throw money down on Fig and I have backed quite a few games on Kickstarter. At least the latter is known not to be a scam.

I feel like the Fig investment tiers still operate on some level of "look, you're still primarily interested in making this game happen, even ahead of making some money". It's still passion led, surely, because anyone expecting Psychonauts 2 to make them some money is OUTTA THEIR MIND.

Not excusing any incompetence on fig's part, of course.

Here's what I don't get. How did the investment change from x copies at $21 to y copies at $60? First of all, a game sold at $60 is not making $60 of revenue for the studio. At the very least they lose 30% to the platform holder. That seems to be accounted for in the $21 figure but not here. Second, is the game actually going to cost $60? That's AAA price and I don't think Tim and his small studio working out of SF can produce a AAA game on a 12 million dollar budget. Also, No Man's Sky has happened. Besides, I feel like there won't be many people who would pay $60 for Psychonauts 2 and I'd guess a good number of people who would have already been caught in the crowdfunding net. Where are they going to get these full priced sales? And if it's not going to be a $60 game then why mention it? They could have said the break even point was half a million sales at $240 a piece. That would have been numerically the same as two million at $60 each and just as unlikely.

And what happens to the budget of the game if investors realize it's a losing proposition and back out? Does it get smaller in scope? Does it's very existence go back into question?

Gemeanie

Eh calling Fig scam/fraud seems a little harsh. I honestly doubt they spent so much time dealing with legal matters to do so when they could easily do it on Kickstarter with little consequences. Even if DF didn't have a great record there, people really wanted Psychonauts 2.

However I think they overlooked the complexity of this investors system and they really have to tone down the unrealistic forecast. It's not just DF, look at the Rock Band PC pitch. Let's just say... it's not uncommon indies overestimate the demand for their creations they injected so much love into

jimboton

Is Psychonauts actually good? I've seen videos of it and it seems like the writing and humor might be good, but the gameplay looked really uninteresting compared to other 3D platformers (Mario Galaxy 1, Mario 64, de Blob).
Gameplay was pretty uninteresting for the most part. And you can bet it will be made even more uninteresting and dumbed down in the sequel in order to hit those AAA sales figures Schafer is aiming for.

hollomat

Banned
Even if the game is 20$ it would need 6 million sales. lol...
So maybe after it goes on sale many times, and becomes a Humble bundle Monthly game, and then a regular Humble Bundle game. Maybe after all that it can break even.

This happened with the first game and even after all that it's only sitting at 1.7M sales. So it's very unlikely.

considering the game was already funded... and under different terms.. are investors able to request a refund? seems like it would be time to bail.bmp.jpg.gif

The portion that was funded by investment hasn't been collected yet. The SEC just gave FIG the approval to collect it, so they're starting to collect it now. However anyone who "pledged" to invest can back out (and in my opinion should if they're looking at it as an actual investment), which would leave the game underfunded (at least based on funds from FIG).

The only kind of platformers I imagine that sell that much are like Mario and Rayman.

I wish them luck but can't see this game selling that much.

Fig is so incredibly shady. I would actively encourage everyone to not invest anything because these terms seem bad and unclear. You'd have to be dumb to actually give them a large chunk of money through Fig.

mainly the reason why I avoid Fig

sad to see InXile go this way for their new project(s)

I do not see this happening.
I mean it will hopefully do well and might end up selling as well as the first but only after a year or 2 and a few sales.

mainly the reason why I avoid Fig

sad to see InXile go this way for their new project(s)

They went to fig because it's friends supporting friends. I bet the support is more friendlier and lenient than Kickstarter. That and idea of "investing" rather than pledging sounds nice.

Now that folks know about this, it'll change.

I stayed away from looking at Psychonauts 2 when it was being crowdfunded so I didn't know until now that the early bird price to get the game was $33 and then $39 which they advertise as being less than the full price when the game will be released. I find that actually shocking that they think they can sell this as a $60 game! I can't see how they will even get 200k at that price let alone 2 million.

I had thought they were aiming around the $25 price range of Broken Age. I backed that for $15 and I quite enjoyed it. I've actually been really enjoying all their adventure remasters and I will definitely buy Full Throttle: Remastered at the full price of $15. However, I bought the original Psychonauts at the "full price" of $10 on GOG and then once again when it was in the humble bundle. $10 is almost the most I will pay for Psychonauts 2 and is what I will happily wait until 2020 or whenever it reaches that price to buy it.

I really like Double Fine and Tim Schafer has made some of my favorite games of all time but I find myself questioning their decisions a lot of the time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What a shame. I really want Psychonauts 2 to happen, but I can't blame investors for pulling out. This is a terrible investment. I wonder whether they'll refund regular backers, if the game ends up being canceled because of this.

hollomat

Banned
Signed on as an investor and did not think they were gonna ask for $60 a unit 😱

A better way to think of it is that they need to hit gross retail revenue of over $120 million before investors get their money back.

So if they priced at $40 instead of $60, they'd need to sell over 3 million copies at that price.

Not happening. Market is far too saturated n prices generally fall too quickly to ever come close to the re-configured (scam) terms. It'll be lucky to sell 1 million @ ~$20 average by the time its through.

Top Bottom