• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix crossing fingers for Rocket League on switch

Shahadan

WTF does this even mean, fingers crossed? We hope Nintendo stamps us with the seal of approval? We hope it'll run? We hope they pay us $10 million for it? Why does a developer and self publisher has to cross some fingers and hope, hope on what exactly? If you want to make the game for Switch, make it.

No, console makers have to beg and pay for ports nowadays

probably just has something to do with online details yeah

KNT-Zero

This sounds like people who say "I really hope my crush looks at me the way I do to them". Wishful thinking is not enough, Psyonix. Get you ass in gear if you really want to get RL to Switch users.

It would be nice on the Switch but given that systems emphasis on 4 player local split screen I would worry about performance. The game sees dips into what seems like the 20s or even less, on PS4 when playing four player, so I wonder how nicely it would run on lesser hardware.

Kikorin

There are already lot of indie developers that are working on Switch, is really improbable someone like Psyonix have problem in something related to devkit.

I think if they want port the game on Switch, thay can without problem. I hope this will be the case, because the game is awesome and I'll buy it again on Switch.

nightside

I think a big issue people have is that the main draw of the Switch is the ability to go into handheld mode. That means you DO have to use the JoyCons when not using your TV.

This is my biggest issue with VC and fighting games.

Un that case you'd have all possible inputs you need for playing rocketleague. Well, except for the analog triggers. I really don't understand where's the problem.

Withnail

WTF does this even mean, fingers crossed? We hope Nintendo stamps us with the seal of approval? We hope it'll run? We hope they pay us $10 million for it? Why does a developer and self publisher has to cross some fingers and hope, hope on what exactly? If you want to make the game for Switch, make it.

They need a dev kit.

Peltz

This can't even be a "not sure if the market is there" type of comment we see from a lot of devs. The market is there, I legitimately think Psyonix would make it work if it was in their power to.

To be fair, the system hasn't even come out yet. There could be shortages, poor sales, or terrible online or who knows what else that makes Psyonix walk away.

I really hope that's not the case, but I certainly would be hesitant as an independent developer (even one as financially successful as Psyonix).

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd imagine the hold-up would be almost entirely to do with the ambiguous nature of Nintendo's new online system.

Alpha_eX

At this stage, Nintendo are approaching the indie developers they want to support at launch. This was confirmed by a Wii U developer to me last night.

I guess Nintendo haven't started talks with them as they haven't done anything previously on a Nintendo platform?

.... This comment makes zero sense no matter how you try to approach it.

lol this isn't even remotely true.

There are still NDA's around the PS4.

Good one.

Reminds me of the good ol Wii U days.
"Wii U versions arent announed yet because of NDAs ! "
Unless there's an exclusivity clause going on, if an upcoming game hasnt been announced or teased for Switch, it's pretty much not happening, that's all. There's no more NDAs going on for announced games. There's nothing preventing publishers to announce Switch games

Reminds me of the good ol Wii U days.
"Wii U versions arent announed yet because of NDAs ! "
Unless there's an exclusivity clause going on, if an upcoming game hasnt been announced or teased for Switch, it's pretty much not happening, that's all. There's no more NDAs going on for announced games. There's nothing preventing publishers to announce Switch games

You got a source on that?

NoKisum

come on, crossplay with xbox

Wait.

What if this is the reason the game is not happening?

Psyonix has been adamant about pushing for cross-platform play with Rocket League. Meanwhile, Nintendo overall has been doing their best to prove they're different from the HD twins. Wouldn't letting Rocket League come to the Switch become a conflict of interest? Because having Rocket League would mean Nintendo would have to start playing nice with Sony and Microsoft's online infrastructure.

You got a source on that?

I dont, I'm just using common sense. The platform has been announced already. What would prevent Psyonix to say "We're making Rocket League for Switch" ?
Unless they have a specific marketing plan, publishers wont hold announcements of ports that could've happened for Switch event.

I dont, I'm just using common sense. The platform has been announced already. What would prevent Psyonix to say "We're making Rocket League for Switch" ?
Unless they have a specific marketing plan, publishers wont hold announcements of ports that could've happened for Switch event.

it would help if you actually read the post you quoted initially. there is nothing stopping anyone from announcing a game is if it all set to be released on that platform HOWEVER the post you quoted said

NDA's are a thing.

Legally and professionally it makes a lot of sense to say nothing until everything in finalized by both parties. If they are in discussions about a release, they may not be at liberty to talk about it.

which is true. the key point of this post is "if they are in discussions about a release". if they are there may be legal reasons not to talk about it.

StayDead

So? The reason they are is it seems like nintendo is not doing anything to help them.

It's on nintendo, nobody else is at fault.

You realise they also have avenues to contact Nintendo right?

it's not a one way communication thing, both sides are at fault.

Hermii

I don't know why are you lolling, at launch it ran at 40~ fps on PS4, although they've optimized it better now. Who knows what hurdles they'll encounter on the Switch. They'll probably have to rework the graphics if they want to hit 60.
720p mobile, 900p docked, lowered settings across the board.

deleted

Since Psyonix has implemented exclusive content for the other console versions, it wouldn't be unheard of for them to do the same for Nintendo. That would most likely include an unveil at an event/direct where Nintendo directly unveils or markets the Switch version.
It makes sense for them not to announce for themselves if they have something cooking.

Not saying they have of course..

Wait.

What if this is the reason the game is not happening?

Psyonix has been adamant about pushing for cross-platform play with Rocket League. Meanwhile, Nintendo overall has been doing their best to prove they're different from the HD twins. Wouldn't letting Rocket League come to the Switch become a conflict of interest? Because having Rocket League would mean Nintendo would have to start playing nice with Sony and Microsoft's online infrastructure.
if I recall correctly, there are already cross-play games on WiiU, so Nintendo may be open to it. MS has been open to cross-play for a while, whereas Sony has remained silent since MS opened their doors. I think it may be possible cross-play with xbox, and would help greatly both platforms.

Actually, all third party switch titles should try cross-play with xbox and PC.

Peru

It was, but not anymore, it's been getting optimized and it runs at 60 now.

Regardless, the Switch is much closer to a Wii U than a PS4.

Not really and in any case that kind of simplified comparison just isn't relevant any more.

I'm a huge Rocket League fan and I'm planning on picking up a Switch but I don't see myself getting into this version even if it existed. The console versions of RL are already notably worse than the PC version and I don't want to start a new account and lose everything I've accumulated.

Still, this is a phenomenal game and more players having access to it is a great thing.

Strider

I'd honestly think their dlc and monetization plans would be the biggest hold up... im sure there's a lot to consider...

How much does it cost to patch on the switch? Will Nintendo allow crate/key dlc on their eshop? Will Switch being at parity with other platforms be profitable enough? And so on...

"Crossing fingers" is more than just being in touch with Nintendo and having a dev kit... even if it does come to switch it may not be in the exact same form as the other platforms regarding feature set and monetization plan.

1) The project may fall apart at any stage. Knowledge of this can harm the reputation of both parties when seeking additional ventures with each other or other parties, and the reputation amongst consumers.

2) Knowing that a platform holder / publisher is in discussions with a particular party gives other (potentially currently unassociated) parties negotiating leverage. This can relate to revenue splits, marketing space on digital storefronts or even things such as dedicated support from platform holders.

3) (Specific to this example) Announcing that RL is in development for Switch, without indicating the full extent of multiplayer-cross compatibility can be damaging for both the developer and for the platform holder. In the instance that cross-play was allowed by Nintendo, this could potentially lead to other developers also wanting access to this feature. This in turn could lead to additional delays of products that were already forecast a release window

4) Any promotional or exclusive in-game content will have to be "contracted to hell" by both parties to ensure they aren't getting shafted by the other one.

Making games is a business. In many cases it can be legally frustrating and complex. It is seldom as simple as saying "I'm gonna make this game for X platform" and then the game appearing a certain number of months later.

So the settings will have to be lowered if there is a switch version.

I don't see that as conclusive at all. So the game was once sub optimal on PS4, but has since improved? That says nothing of the requirements for the game. To draw an extreme, I suppose that Life of a Black Tiger game would need downgrades to run on Switch since it runs poorly on PS4?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
We're waiting for more info probably means "we're waiting to see how much it sells".

Other critieria which might factor into profitability are:

Development costs/environments weighed against potential sales
Contract stuff

Nintendo doesnt approach people with dev kits and say please make a game for us (maybe for the big boys) - people apply for dev kits and licenses etc, learn how to use the tools and then make a game.

So dunno what Psyonix are on about.

I know, right? In the days since this thread was started, I have already made a Switch prototype. I didn't even need a devkit or anything, I just made it through HAPPY THOUGHTS AND MAGIC.

Hermii

I don't see that as conclusive at all. So the game was once sub optimal on PS4, but has since improved? That says nothing of the requirements for the game. To draw an extreme, I suppose that Life of a Black Tiger game would need downgrades to run on Switch since it runs poorly on PS4?
I wouldn't expect it to be 100% on par with such a massive power difference, I personally don't care if some settings are lowered as long as it runs fine. I just want Switch to have the game.

Top Bottom