• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

rfrXeLZ.png

Download
US
iOS
Android
Kindle

EU
iOS

Other Regions
way too many other versions now

Official Links - Check these out for event info!
Mothership/Facebook
Twitter
Twitch channel

Beginner's Guide
PAD is a deceptively massive game and trying to take all of it in can be intimidating. The collective playerbase has realized this and have written volumes of works about strategies for new and old players alike. Previous OTs had comprehensive guides in them but in recent months other places are more comprehensive and better up to date. I'm only keeping the most basic information in OT3 and am deferring to these other guides for more specifics.

4chan Guide
SomethingAwful Guide
Wikia Guide
A more quantitative approach to starter tiers

Your starter
After you complete the tutorial, you are given one free roll on the Rare Egg Machine. Unfortunately, as a for-profit game, not all rolls are made equal: your starter dragon is woefully inadequate as a leader to tackle content beyond the first couple of dungeons, and most of the monsters that come out of the REM also do not make the cut as a leader that will give you a pleasureable experience in late game and beyond.

Many players recommend you to reroll by redownloading the game (on iOS) or by going into the app's settings and selecting "clear data" (on Android), which generates a new account on GungHo's servers and gives you another shot of obtaining an "acceptable" starting roll. iOS and rooted Android players have another option: by using a program like iFunBox or Root Explorer, going into the app's files and deleting data048.bin also has the same effect.

At ~8 minutes a run, rerolling is unarguably the most frustrating portion of starting the game, and you may go days or even weeks before you finally get a good monster. Since the monotony of rerolling can mess with your brain, you can optionally decide to play the game normally until a Godfest occurs, typically around the 1st and 15th of each month. During these events, selected pantheons of God type monsters receive boosted pull rates, making it much easier for you to roll an acceptable starter. You can spend all your accrued stones then and hope for a good starter, and if you don't get one, reroll at that point to take advantage of the better rates.

You can always opt not to reroll and take whatever okay monster pops out of the REM, especially if you're planning on spending money on the game. You will roll an endgame leader eventually... it's just a matter of how long and/or how much money you spend before it happens.

The OT used to contain a tier list of acceptable starters, but the websites listed above have written much better detailed and up-to-date about what makes monsters good, so go there instead. Don't worry too much about the order the monsters are ranked as -- most players agree upon what monsters are good starters, but ask them about which tier they belong in and hoo boy watch out cause here comes long-form essays about why your tier list is shit.

I do not understand how to puzzle and I am dying to everything please help
You might think this game is a simple match-3 clone like Bejeweled, but one important difference creates an honest to god skill curve for puzzling: you can move the orb anywhere on the board for 4 seconds.
iIA4wbbx7kZJj.gif

Learning how to make xX420NoTimeExtendProngShotXx combos is an acquired talent, so don't despair if you can barely eke out anything over a three combo at first. Your first step is to start recognizing groups of similarly-colored orbs and learning the patterns to "solve" them:
y9IvO.png

From there you can start combining patterns together and doing more advanced combos. Watching others play is also a good learning tool -- Paprika is widely considered to be a savant at board rearrangement.

Friends
Friends are one of the most important features of the game -- after choosing an Explorer from the helper screen, sending them a friend request, and having them accept it, you can keep bringing them into dungeons as long as they've logged in recently. More importantly, friend monsters also make their Leader Skill available for you, meaning two leaders that grant 3x to Fire attacks now creates a party with 9x Fire. Keeping a well-curated list of friends that complements your own monsters is key to success in PAD.

GAF players are generally happy to add you as a friend even if you're way underleveled compared to them. Since we play the game a lot most of our leader will help you completely mulch the first couple of dungeons. Just make sure you include the word GAF somewhere in your name so they know you're not just some random pubbie. The list of GAF players and their IDs can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhOCApI3pSVRdC0wWHQ3X2F5MnB6LWNNQUJJWG9Tb0E#gid=4
You may have to force quit the app and restart before friend requests show up.

Resources
PADGuide is the essential companion app, providing schedules, monster stats, dungeon information, and more. Its primary benefit is allowing you to set alarms for guerilla dungeons. Android version
PADX is generally considered the go-to website for news and information for the English versions of the game.
The PAD Wikia has more up to date and slightly more accurate data by virtue of leeching content from its Chinese sister site.
PADF is the largest English message board dedicated to PAD.
The PAD Global Facebook group is "good" for schaudenfreude and drama about PAD.

GAF Fan Art (?!)
what

Previous Threads
Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android
Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll

Wall of Shame
KckcSMV.png

Gaspode_T

US account Godfest pulls:

Piedra (......)
Hanzo (nice)
Fenrir Knight (.....)
Dragonette (.....)
Green Odin (3rd dupe...why do I have 3 Grodins, 3 Kirin, and 3 Ltron on this acct now)
Viper Orochi (needed him)
Mermaid (......)
Dark Dragon Knight (dupe)

Guess I'm happy enough for Hanzo and Orochi, especially since I have the mats to evo Orochi all the way.

Happy OT3, everyone!

And carrying this over from OT2, since I posted after OT3 already went up like a dummy.
Made Byakko my 7th +297 today and finally did this:
Nice. DW Bats is a beast. Too bad more people don't run him. Was the dungeon easy or difficult for that team? I still need a couple skill-ups for my Sakuya but I haven't run the dungeon in a while due to running other things. I'd been farming it with a Sakuya team but wondering if there's a better/easier option. Though I haven't given it much thought myself yet.

I had a lot of options for my seventh +297 monster and I finally decided on attacker Luci. My Ronia team lost a lot of HP when I evo'd him. He's only at +134 but most of that is +HP so that helps.

Edit: Guess I'll carry this over to OT3. =p

Just realized Rei=Sirius has two Prong awakenings and is God type to boot. Now I really really want to roll with boosted magician rates but have no business doing so.

razterik

Nice. DW Bats is a beast. Too bad more people don't run him. Was the dungeon easy or difficult for that team? I still need a couple skill-ups for my Sakuya but I haven't run the dungeon in a while due to running other things. I'd been farming it with a Sakuya team but wondering if there's a better/easier option. Though I haven't given it much thought myself yet.

I had a lot of options for my seventh +297 monster and I finally decided on attacker Luci. My Ronia team lost a lot of HP when I evo'd him. He's only at +134 but most of that is +HP so that helps.

Edit: Guess I'll carry this over to OT3. =p

Yeah, Batman is great. I kinda did it on a whim because I hadn't run the dungeon in ages. It was easy, but my team has four +297s and everything max skill except Batmen. Blew past the keeper in a couple turns. Took my time on Genbu, although it's probably easier to just crack her armor and move on. Seiryuu gives plenty of time to wear her down. Suzaku might take an orb change depending on drops (used Hanzo here). Byakko requires Odin to counter the preemptive and a good setup or a board change to one shot (used Blonia). Tamadra stage takes a little delicacy not to overshoot his armor. Only had a set of blue and a set of dark, so I tapped Batman for extra damage and took out the masks and mythlits. Stalled for skills and setup my board with rows of blue and dark. Crushed Kirin with Batman and the prepared board. Fagan was down with Byakko, Hanzo, Batman combo.

This would be my skill up farm team unless I find something simpler. But I have no pressing need for max skill Kirin or Fagan, so I won't run it again for a while.

There's a lot of DB Batman out there, actually. I have about 10 on my list any given day, and that doubles on weekends for KoG farming. Still not enough of him when I want to farm supers or Starry View, though.

Haven't picked an ultimate evo for my max skill Lucifer yet. I have everything I need for his attacker team, but Batman/Pandora/Dark Tron all seem better options to me. And that HP stat drop is sad. Same reason I keep my Susano balanced and Orochi physical.

yami4ct

Holy shit, new OT! Yay!

Finally cleared Athena today. Felt good. Bad news, it took the 4 stones I was planning to use on G-Fest. 3 of those were dumb mistakes. Oh well, 4 stones for guaranteed God is better than 5 stones just for a chance.

tief-blau

Neo Member
I ran the Tuesday Master dungeon for the first time last night and wow I didn't realise how tough Keeper of the Rainbow would be to take down.

I think my head still hurts.

(つД`)

Azusa

The only one god I wanted from this godfest is Shiva and I was lucky today. I got him on my 9th roll. Susano and new waifu Lakshmi are nice addition to my box.

QCDnR6Z.png

Yeah, Batman is great. I kinda did it on a whim because I hadn't run the dungeon in ages. It was easy, but my team has four +297s and everything max skill except Batmen. Blew past the keeper in a couple turns. Took my time on Genbu, although it's probably easier to just crack her armor and move on. Seiryuu gives plenty of time to wear her down. Suzaku might take an orb change depending on drops (used Hanzo here). Byakko requires Odin to counter the preemptive and a good setup or a board change to one shot (used Blonia). Tamadra stage takes a little delicacy not to overshoot his armor. Only had a set of blue and a set of dark, so I tapped Batman for extra damage and took out the masks and mythlits. Stalled for skills and setup my board with rows of blue and dark. Crushed Kirin with Batman and the prepared board. Fagan was down with Byakko, Hanzo, Batman combo.

This would be my skill up farm team unless I find something simpler. But I have no pressing need for max skill Kirin or Fagan, so I won't run it again for a while.

There's a lot of DB Batman out there, actually. I have about 10 on my list any given day, and that doubles on weekends for KoG farming. Still not enough of him when I want to farm supers or Starry View, though.

Haven't picked an ultimate evo for my max skill Lucifer yet. I have everything I need for his attacker team, but Batman/Pandora/Dark Tron all seem better options to me. And that HP stat drop is sad. Same reason I keep my Susano balanced and Orochi physical.
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I hope they add the jewel orbs to Fagan's dungeon.

I waffled back and forth between attacker and balanced Luci. The weighting is the same, choosing between 600HP or 300ATK. What decided it for me were
1) Attacker leader skill more useful to me. Balanced is redundant with Ronia.
2) More likely to run dark attacker teams than balanced ones.
3) Color synergy with dark row awakenings
4) ATK benefits more from leader multipliers.

I have an unevolved DA Luci that I'll eventually make balanced but I don't think I'm gonna go through the pain of skilling him up like the first one.

Azusa

Puzzle & Dragons TCG

AmiAmi

Starter Deck Vol.1 440 JPY, 45 (includes 1 kira card and 5 limited cards in 2 types)
Booster Pack Vol.1 2620 JPY, 20 Packs/Box, 5 Cards/Pack (includes 1 rare card for sure)

One roll in honor of the new tread!

Mandrake. Seems fitting.

Edit: Picked up Hera-Ur on my first run of legend and the PAL machine gave me gave me 3 legendary evo mats. Not a bad start to the day.

quin

What makes Orochi so desired? Seems not as useful as Echidna but I guess I am missing something.

His new ultimate evolution gives him 4x attack for dragon types when hp is below 80%. It's a pretty good leader skill.
He has also gained an extra skill boost bringing it up to two. With the right subs and max skilled his active skill could start at six!

J0dy77

Zhuge is amazing. Rated in the same tier as Ronia and Kirin as far as ability to clear end game content goes. Key subs are marine rider and Sasuke.

Depends what wood subs you have. Best farmable monsters are orb changers (Ancient Dragon Knight & Cu Chu) and ult Athena. Ideal REM subs are things like Kushinada, Sasuke, Marine or Dino Rider, Green Sonia, Genbu, Artemis, AA Michael, and Thumbelina.

Unfortunately I don't have many attackers and really lacking wood subs. Missing Marine Rider and Sasuke hurts. I do have a gryphon and susano though which could be a huge part of the team. Susano becomes an attacker with his ultimate update. I can slot Chu Chu and Kush, Mei Mei as the final sub but they won't get the benefit of the his leader skill. Need to find some strong row enhance as well.

I'm probably going to focus on a Durga team first. Loving the idea of a Dark leader.

Ducarmel

Thanks for the new thread Cosmo Clock 21.

Unfortunately I don't have many attackers and really lacking wood subs. Missing Marine Rider and Sasuke hurts. I do have a gryphon and susano though which could be a huge part of the team. Susano becomes an attacker with his ultimate update. I can slot Chu Chu and Kush, Mei Mei as the final sub but they won't get the benefit of the his leader skill. Need to find some strong row enhance as well.

Do you mean active skill? Because all the cards you mention are Wood type.

Leader skill is Wood attribute cards ATK x4 when HP is less than 80%.

And its not row enhance you want its two prong attack awakenings you want. I believe JP GZL users are clamoring for new wood types with at 1 or 2 tpa awakenings.

GZL guide
http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=55502

razterik

GZL, Athena, Genbu, GR Chu, Kushi would be a great team. Stuffing GZL with other attackers is overrated and unnecessary, just like Dark Tron usually has one or two off type/color subs.

J0dy77

GZL, Athena, Genbu, GR Chu, Kushi would be a great team. Stuffing GZL with other attackers is overrated and unnecessary, just like Dark Tron usually has one or two off type/color subs.

Why slot Athena? She doesn't take advantage of the Leader skill as a light mob. I'd use Griffin over her and stick with Wood but his stats really suck for a HP threshold team (low hp/high RCv). I'll use Kush or Susano depending on the dungeon but prefer the length of Susano's active skill.

The team I'll start testing with is GZL, Susano, Griffin, Artemis, Chu Chu... see how that goes. Might be a very nice farm team for King of Gods.

Now I need to figure out what to do for Durga team. The wood slot seems to be my biggest debate since I'll go heavy dark with Echidna and vamp/hera-is to cover water/fire.

quin

This is the truth. The only 2 attackers you really need are GZL. On his own he can do almost 1 million damage with a 3x green combo and his active skill. Kushinada, Bastet, Green Dragon knight, and Amitaka also work well.

This is my team. I usually sub Athena and/or Artemis out depending on the dungeon.

Why slot Athena? She doesn't take advantage of the Leader skill as a light mob. I'd use Gryphon over her and stick with Wood. I'll use Kush or Susano depending on the dungeon but prefer the length of Susano's active skill.

She does! her light attacks are multiplied by the leader multiplier cause of her green sub color. it's a safe secondary color.

Why slot Athena? She doesn't take advantage of the Leader skill as a light mob. I'd use Gryphon over her and stick with Wood. I'll use Kush or Susano depending on the dungeon but prefer the length of Susano's active skill.

Athena does get the benefit I believe. A row conflicts with 2 prong BTW.

J0dy77

She does! her light attacks are multiplied by the leader multiplier cause of her green sub color. it's a safe secondary color.

Athena does get the benefit I believe. A row conflicts with 2 prong BTW.

Ah great information, had no idea that was how it worked. So if you do a row attack you don't get the 4x attack? Does 2 prong attack only work when matching 4? I thought it was 4 or more.

Coming up on 650 days in this game and still don't know all of the finer details.

Ah great information, had no idea that was how it worked. So if you do a row attack you don't get the 4x attack? Does 2 prong attack only work when matching 4? I thought it was 4 or more.

Coming up on 650 days in this game and still don't know all of the finer details.

4 only I believe. I know 6 for sure negates it. Not sure about 5 but I would wager it doesn't trigger 2 prong.

quin

Nope, it has to be 4. The newest update makes the orbs all sparkly when you have a line of 4. Ideally(unless your're really good at combos) you want 12 green orbs out, 3 sets of four.

Remember it works with their weak colors as well. you can get some great damage out of dark as well.

Actually, I have a question about the mechanics as well. I was under the assumption that the sub color was 10% of the attack power.
In this screenshot that holds true for Lucifer and Hanzo but look at Sonia. I know that is not 10%. Is it different for duel color monsters?

J0dy77

Nope, it has to be 4. The newest update makes the orbs all sparkly when you have a line of 4. Ideally(unless your're really good at combos) you want 12 green orbs out, 3 sets of four.

Remember it works with their weak colors as well. you can get some great damage out of dark as well.

Yeah I made the same mistake reading the row enhance text when it first came out. It has to be 4 and only 4. Mind blown with all of the possibilities for this team now.

Here's what I'm leaning towards for a first team:

cQlHXhjl.jpg

Ducarmel

Actually, I have a question about the mechanics as well. I was under the assumption that the sub color was 10% of the attack power.
In this screenshot that holds true for Lucifer and Hanzo but look at Sonia. I know that is not 10%. Is it different for duel color monsters?

30% if its different from the main attribute.

Jagernaut

30% if its different from the main attribute.

It's 1/3 or 33.33%, you can check by having 1 dual color monster as the only team member and looking at the attack numbers. Maxed Ultimate Athena has 2101 light atk and 700 wood atk.

Edit. Beaten.

hermit7

Damnit, have all the mats ready for the D/R Lucifer uevo, but alas have no Dub-Amelits. Attempted to run Junos Island on increased drop rate but no dice. Suppose I will have to wait until tomorrow.

What is the next team that I should work on?

Have a GZL awaiting some Tamadras, but I think I am going to feed all this events to Metatron so I can run twinlits more reliably. Still need to work on a more reliable team for trifruits as well.

OT3! Woohoo!

Does anyone think US will ever get the DBZ collabo? Having so much fun with Goku. I'm loving his ultimate evo, and tweak to LS.

At first I thought it was a little whack that 4.5x attack required all 6 orbs to be matched, but was happy to see that matching any 5 of the six procures a 4.25x attack. Was this mentioned by GungHo at all? Not mentioned in the game description screen.

Althane

Mmm, dat new OT smell.

Is it worth bustying the ripper dragons? I've got three blue dragon fruits sitting around, and got nothing else useful to do with them.

Puzzle & Dragons TCG

AmiAmi

Starter Deck Vol.1 440 JPY, 45 (includes 1 kira card and 5 limited cards in 2 types)
Booster Pack Vol.1 2620 JPY, 20 Packs/Box, 5 Cards/Pack (includes 1 rare card for sure)
Probably going to get this, but that price imbalance between the precons and the booster packs...

SaintR

This game man this game after going thru 7 stones farming Hera-ur for red jewels; Some failed runs, mostly non-invades...I ended it up with 2 red jewels and feeling defeated. Then was catching up on the thread and realized Pal pulls were evo and pulled 10 and actually got a red jewel.
They have it down to an art form. Just the right amount of torture to make you want to quit and then they bring you back in.
Gung ho.... You.gif

ShinraBasho Collabo Incoming

PAD Facebook Post said:
*ShinraBansho Chocolate Collab*
[Duration]: 10/6 (Mon), 12:00 AM - 10/19 (Sun), 11:59 PM (PDT)

Puzzle & Dragons may provide a good mental workout, but it’s important to stay energized! Fortunately for us, the lovely sweets of ShinraBansho Chocolate are here for the job!

This long-awaited Collab has finally arrived in North America for your consumption! To find out more about ShinraBansho Chocolate, see our note, “What is ShinraBansho Chocolate?”: http://bit.ly/1yzudd2

The heroes of ShinraBansho Chocolate all have Ultimate Evolutions, so view the link for any recipe details you might need.

In addition to having a unique and memorable art style, this collab features several special monsters! There are several skill-up monsters as well, for popular monsters from both the Indian, Demon, and Rider series! The dungeon is available in four difficulties, ranging from Intermediate to Legend. It’s a technical-style dungeon, so beware enemy attacks!

At the end of the Dungeon, “Demon God Masterion” awaits!

If you’ve been looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, look no further. ShinraBansho Chocolate has arrived!

Skillups for Baal, Astaroth, Drawn Joker, Dragon Rider, and Shiva.

Dungeon Info (Legend Difficulty)

Top Bottom