• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition announced for 3DS

Zomba13

Huh. So I guess we're past the "nintendo should be on mobile" and entering the "mobile should come to nintendo" phase.

No. It's fair if you say you don't like the game because of gameplay or aesthetic. It's not fair to call the game mediocre when it's not.

What factors are you using to measure its quality then? I assume you think it's good? Why? How are you evaluating games outside the subjective criteria I used?

18-Volt

I don't understand this. Why would Nintendo bother with this, they have to superior, god of all jewel match puzzle games: Puzzle League. If they need to do a Mario themed jewel match game, it had to be Mario Puzzle League 3DS.

Seriously, what happened to Puzzle League?

Maid

Banned
What factors are you using to measure its quality then? I assume you think it's good? Why? How are you evaluating games outside the subjective criteria I used?

I think it's good because you can get vastly different results just based on how good your skills is, and carefully calculating/doing research before each attempt at high end content. I always see people said the game is based on luck a lot, which isn't entirely true when this kind of guy exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpP-lPRYBU

Team building is also a part of it, which remains my point that PAD isn't about playing with what you want, but playing with what you have. In another words, adapting and developing strategy.

No game is for everyone, therefore I always judge the game's quality based on how deep and wide a game's system is, like how much one can expand and learn from the game's base mechanic. If I don't like the aesthetic, I would just come out and say I don't like the game aesthetic. Saying it's mediocre is just a lazy way to express your opinion about the game.

woopWOOP

If this lacks the whole energy/microtransaction aspect I might get this.

Would be cool if they'd use the lesser known SMB2/3/World enemies too.

bebop242

The gameplay for P&Z is fantastic. I recommend anyone interested in this to check out the f2p to try the gameplay.

The slot machine mechanic was too annoying for me since you could pay real money and end up not getting anything useful out of it. Removing this would be sublime.

Might actually sell me on a 3DS

Man, this seems amazing! I'm definitely going to get it.

So far, what all are we reasonable sure is coming in the upcoming future for the 3DS so far?

As far as I can tell:

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Codename STEAM
Youkai Watch
Final Fantasy Explorers (not confirmed, but the name has been trademarked in the west)
Bravely Second (very likely, as Square were impressed by BD's sales)
Attack on Titan: Last Wings of Mankind
Etrian Odyssey V
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: Knights of Fafnir
Etrian Odyssey X Mystery Dungeon
Hatsuna Miku: Projet Mirai Remix
Story of Seasons
Treasurenauts
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest (probably will get localized)
Mighty No. 9
Probably the Pikachu detective game
SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record
Gunman Clive 2
Fossil Fighters: Frontier

Is there anything I'm missing?

Seriously, what happened to Puzzle League?
The same thing that happened to Advance Wars; Intelligent Systems got busy. Would have liked to see how 3DS mode would be handled on a 3DS...

I really don't like the Meteos/Lumines inspired art style of Planet Puzzle League

Robin64

All my friends (and I) have downloaded P&D because of this announcement. Wonder how many others did.

Love the game, mind, and can't wait for the Mario edition now.

magnetic

What a brilliant idea!

It really annoyed me how successful simplistic match-3 games like Candy Crush have gotten, and yet the rather similar and yet way deeper Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League style seems to be completely forgotten (seriously, I haven´t even found a single decent Tetris Attack clone on Android, only two really shitty ones).

P&D seems to have a skill element very similar to Tetris Attack. The reason I never could get into P&D is that I really don´t enjoy the presentation at all (it´s just very... gaudy) and even though many say that you don´t NEED to buy IAP stuff, I just really want to have the feeling of having the "complete game". I also don´t really care for this intense synthesis stuff, rerolling, stat maxing, whatever - I already have Disgaea for when I feel like some spreadsheet gaming.

The "dragging while pushing" mechanic looks really intriguing. Having it on the 3DS with a nice Mario coat on top might just make this game become my personal Tetris Attack of the new generation. And I´m not even the biggest Mario fan, either, but the general upbeat style is just perfect for a puzzle game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Cool thanks for posting!

This game is going to be a hit, especially if Nintendo is wise and release an eShop demo and put it in store koisks and try to market the thing.

I enjoyed P&D gameplay, but not the whole "Puzzles and Dragons" coat of paint over the game - like I could not get into it's stupid monster design. Having a Mario/Nintendo coat of paint over this game is EXACTLY what it needs IMO.

Top Bottom