• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

LiK

That's okay, Jeff doesn't like everything.

Game seems to be getting decent reviews overall. Mine shipped.

cordy

Banned
Is Jeff's review an April's Fools joke? I don't know, I haven't even seen much video of the game, I'm just in this thread to see how it scores since it's hyped lol.

Either way this game's mostly getting the scores I thought it would get. Seems nice but not enough for me to get an X1.

My review is up at Eurogamer Benelux: recommended. http://www.eurogamer.nl/articles/2016-04-01-quantum-break-review_5

For those of you who can't read Dutch: it's a good game. The action is intense and the visuals are spectacular. Its world just isn't as interesting as that of Max Payne or Alan Wake. The amount of easter eggs hidden in the game referrng to Alan show Remedy hasn't forgotten about him, either.

Don't download the TV-show, it's not worth it. Streaming it is more than enough. It was cool on my first playthrough but I already started skipping the episodes for my second, even with the different outcome paths. The characters just aren't interesting enough, as the game sets you up to only care about Joyce and Serene anyway. The series should've been a side project and not such a large part of the game.

Is Quantum Break a new classic? No. But it's a damn good game regardless.

GHG

Gold Member
And this:

Gamespot - 6/10

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/quantum-break-review/1900-6416395/

Peter Brown is now officially a crappy reviewer
/s

Nah it's ok for people to dislike things. It's more about his whole demeanour. I watched some of their oculus rift stream the other day and the guy looks like he hates what he does. He doesn't ever smile anymore. It's sad to see, especially when this is a hobby that brings so much joy to so many people.

But anyway, that's for a different thread.

image.php

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is going about how I expected.

Both this and The Order felt like they fell out of a time portal from 2010.

I don't understand why people are greenlighting these kinds of singleplayer only linear third person shooters these days, especially as $60 titles.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
as i expected, the game did nothing for me when i saw the trailers and gameplay videos.

Theorry

Kotaku

Despite how pedestrian some aspects of the game may be, I concluded Quantum Break feeling like something new had happened. Something special had happened that more than compensated for some of the flatness of the story and the mostly rote gunplay. A game simply never worked like this before, nor has a TV show. Because of that, what might have otherwise been ordinary feels extraordinary.

My review at VGTime.com (Chinese)

8/10

Quantum Break is a testament to Remedy's superb ability in narrative design, character development and attention to detail, it might not be the ground-breaking game nor the medium-bending show you expect it to be, but what ends up is a tightly designed narrative experience that you might want to check out.

Pros
Great visuals and performance
Surprisingly well produced live action show that work well with the game
Strong narrative design
Time-based powers enabled solid combat

Cons
Some janky animation
Lack of weapon and power variety

Oof, Gamespot and Giantbomb. Is this, as I had suspected, fairly close to The Order 1886 in terms of structure and design? I'll have to give the reviews a read when I get to the office.

GHG

Gold Member

I don't understand why people are greenlighting these kinds of singleplayer only linear third person shooters these days, especially as $60 titles.

I was going to say exactly something along those lines but I was scared of being attacked.

It also means I will probably love this game.

viveks86

"Sloppy movement and weapon controls"?

In a remedy game?

Yikes!

Man I was looking forward to this one on PC! :/

Osahi

Still working on my review (print), but my score lies in the high seventies. I loved the gunplay with time powers, but it is maybe the only real highlight. The platforming is a missed chance to really play with time powers (there are no puzzels, you just rewind or freeze and bob is your uncle), the story is pretty meh, the tv-show is pretty bad (give good actors bad videogame dialogue, and it is still bad dialogue. At times it looks like a fan film and i sometimes laughed out loud at some shots. Can't go into details due to spoilers, but the death of one character is gif worthy for all the bad reasons). Also, the whole influencing the story thing falls flat. You get different scenes in the show, but just like the telltale games it moves to the same conclusion anyway. Ingame the differences are minimal. For instance the first junction sells itself as 'you can give or jack or monarch a bad time', but whatever you choose has no real effect on Jack, even if you 'make it difficult' for him. In a time where more and more games find ways to tell their story in ways only games can, QB tells his pretty old fashioned actually. (And it has written b-film like game story written al over it too)

To be fair, Quantum Break and The Order 1886 were likely greenlit in 2011 / 2012, when it seemed like this type of experience was where the industry was heading towards at the time.

I think it's why Sony were caught so off guard at the positive reception Until Dawn ended up with. They probably thought an experience like that wasn't going to resonate with their audience after The Order's performance.

Mattenth

Wow, lots of publications reviewing this one. 3 dozen reviews already in on OpenCritic.

None look like they're on the PC though... Anyone else concerned?

LiK

Glad I got it for $40 :p

XBO showcase launch title that failed to get done on time I would guess.

Top Bottom