• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
Well, as far as canon goes you managed to hit a home run out of the ballpark, while playing a game of hockey. Good introduction to the character though.
*Fist pump*

Anyway, I was mad jelly at Muun dropping baddies like flies while Val mostly just got knocked around and whined a lot, so I'm rocking an Urban Ranger this game (A tiefling, if anyone couldn't work that out from the story.). I'm sure I will completely fail to capitalize on how to make the most efficient Pathfinder ranger build, but whatever.

I even have character artwork from the start this time!

Funny thing is that I started Muun with the intent to be overly arrogant about his abilities thinking he would be the least useful character in the party and overshadowed by everyone else. If I were to make Muun today in this Advanced Class Guide World, he would've been a Slayer instead of a Ranger (fits his character and role a lot better).

Also, the standard Pathfinder Ranger build is a "switch hitter" meaning it has a 2 handed weapon and a bow (makes sense since they hardly use shields and two-handed is much cooler than dual wielding).

Mike M

Nick N
Funny thing is that I started Muun with the intent to be overly arrogant about his abilities thinking he would be the least useful character in the party and overshadowed by everyone else. If I were to make Muun today in this Advanced Class Guide World, he would've been a Slayer instead of a Ranger (fits his character and role a lot better).

Also, the standard Pathfinder Ranger build is a "switch hitter" meaning it has a 2 handed weapon and a bow (makes sense since they hardly use shields and two-handed is much cooler than dual wielding).

Huh, never thought of that. Guess I can invest that extra gold in a sword then.

Oh, btw I added a feat requirement for Greatbows (they're homebrew weapons so I can do this). I think I still need to make the actual requirements stricter.

Before you guys start up again (Very exciting!) I just wanted to chime in as a longtime lurker and say a hearty "thanks for the adventure!" and offer a few random thoughts:

Lunarian: I thought you did a terrific job as DM. Fun hearing your wrap-up thoughts as well. I got a kick out of the fact that one of your favorite surprises was when Val threw the anti-magic vial.

You see, to steal a quote from Bart Simpson..."I can't help but feel...partly responsible..." See, I had sent a PM to Mike saying something to the tune of "oh, don't forget you guys picked up that vial and never used it," (sorry, but I'm an old-school "inventory hawk" of the worst order,) like probably a weekend before that battle took place. But Jeez, I NEVER thought he would throw that thing in there at THAT moment! Anyway, I laughed, and laughed and laughed when all those haversacks popped...

So maybe I overstepped my lurker boundaries that one time...

Jackben: Thanks so much for wrapping up the story with a goat cameo. This was actually so damned important to me that I actually bugged your esteemed DM in a PM about it, which he begged off and said it was out of his hands. I was glad to see you didn't forget Tarkus' faithful, boot-chewing friend. Loved Tarkus' story. The humor and tone you brought to his standout moments were just awesome. Tarkus was so well written, with such vivid color, even watching him "CRUNCH. CRUNCH. CRUNCH" his way through a meal was a joy.

KM: You, like the rest of your crew here are a really talented cat. Really enjoyed your art and your writing. I think you gave yourself some tough characters to write, but I really found them compelling as hell. The tribute to GAF was a nice button to sew on the whole thing too.

DP: I really appreciated Q's realness. Usually, I find magic users kinda annoying, but yours was awesome. Smart, but not too stilted. Also I felt your battle play was really good. You had some good "go-to" stuff, but you branched out well too. Even when you tried things that didn't work out, it was cool to see the thought process. Good stuff. Loved your wrap-up with the bard's tale too. Good idea.

Mike: Fucking awesome wrap-up. Just keep writing.

jon bones, Songbird, Ganhyun, and Zynx: Thanks too, for making a fun adventure. Sorry we didn't get to see more, but what you contributed was greatly appreciated. Zynx's late contribution was especially cool to me because I've never actually played or even read a playthrough with that class before.

So thanks again, all of you. For now, this NPC will fade back into the background...

I'll chime in as another long time reader and say that I'm looking forward to the next adventure. If you guys ever have an opening, PM me, fluctuating status of the newest player withstanding. XD

Mike M

Nick N
You see, to steal a quote from Bart Simpson..."I can't help but feel...partly responsible..." See, I had sent a PM to Mike saying something to the tune of "oh, don't forget you guys picked up that vial and never used it," (sorry, but I'm an old-school "inventory hawk" of the worst order,) like probably a weekend before that battle took place. But Jeez, I NEVER thought he would throw that thing in there at THAT moment! Anyway, I laughed, and laughed and laughed when all those haversacks popped...

I'm never going to live that one down, am I?

Mike: Fucking awesome wrap-up. Just keep writing.

I intend to : )

That reminds me, did anyone ever read that vignette I posted a couple months ago? That was the longest thing I ever wrote (until this past November) and never got much feedback on it.

The one about the heist of the statue, and Valor's retirement? I enjoyed it. It was well put together and had good characterization, and the plot was clever. I would've liked to see more of a confrontation with the suspicious security guard, but that's a small thing.

Mike M

Nick N
The one about the heist of the statue, and Valor's retirement? I enjoyed it. It was well put together and had good characterization, and the plot was clever. I would've liked to see more of a confrontation with the suspicious security guard, but that's a small thing.
The guard initially had a different role entirely that I completely changed. There were a lot of little remnants of where I was going originally (Marioladma being an anagram of Olidammara, for instance) that stuck around. Initially it was Val being dead and not realizing it, robbing Winesong as part of an initiation rite. All the guests were previous members of the clan, and Corvus in particular was Valor in disguise. I absolutely hated the ending though (plus the idea of Val getting it on with even adopted family seemed kinda sleezy), so I tore it out and gutted most of the hints/foreshadowing.

I had It's not my most polished work ever, but even the one revision took forever, so I never really got it into fighting shape. So yeah, no clue what to do with the book I wrote that's like seven times as long : /

Arnoldschwarzennegerwrong.gif

Totally disagreed. Sarm seemed like a real, fully-fleshed out character. His motivations were clear, and speaking as the DM it was easy to push his buttons and create conflict, making more compelling storytelling.

Muun was more of a badass, but as the DM I couldn't really see what made him tick. He was just.... there. He had a tragic past that made him emo, and he had a problem with killing fellow human beings. He also was taking time to process the differences between Ravenloft and the new world to which he was brought. Well, okay, but what did he actually WANT? What did he believe in? To me that was never really clear.

On top of that, as I have explained previously, Sarm was such a natural foil to the themes of the story I was trying to tell that it was almost too perfect, in a good way.

Sarm > Muun all day every day.

Mike M

Nick N
Arnoldschwarzennegerwrong.gif

Totally disagreed. Sarm seemed like a real, fully-fleshed out character. His motivations were clear, and speaking as the DM it was easy to push his buttons and create conflict, making more compelling storytelling.

Muun was more of a badass, but as the DM I couldn't really see what made him tick. He was just.... there. He had a tragic past that made him emo, and he had a problem with killing fellow human beings. He also was taking time to process the differences between Ravenloft and the new world to which he was brought. Well, okay, but what did he actually WANT? What did he believe in? To me that was never really clear.

On top of that, as I have explained previously, Sarm was such a natural foil to the themes of the story I was trying to tell that it was almost too perfect, in a good way.

Sarm > Muun all day every day.

Sarm was incorruptible and just, Muun was more morally flexible. Speaking as the guy who just spent a year and a half RPing a criminal, I found the latter more appealing even if you might technically win on the merits of your arguments : P

Mike M

Nick N
I'll chime in as another long time reader and say that I'm looking forward to the next adventure. If you guys ever have an opening, PM me, fluctuating status of the newest player withstanding. XD
Hm, do we want to have a waiting list maintained somewhere? Not to jinx anything, but historically we've had grave difficulties in retaining that fifth player : )

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Your Dreadstone piece was excellent Mike. I really liked your conclusion of Val's legacy the most of your outer-adventure pieces.

I have to agree with thLunarian about Sarm but more out of personal preference than any logical reason. Tarkus really looked up to him and a lot of it had to do with Sarm being one of the first to really welcome him and his help when he first rolled onto the scene. Also Sarm's patience and wisdom really made the half-off warrior consider a more respectable path in many of the moral dilemmas that occurred.

Top Bottom