• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

I'm thinking about starting up a play by post campaign. It would use DnD 3.5 rules, with some modifications inspired by 4e.

I've never participated in a PbP game before, so I have no idea how well it would work, but in various DnD threads I've seen lots of people say "Why don't we do this? I'd be willing to try it." But no one ever actually tries to start.

So now I'm trying to start.

I'm looking for 4-6 players. Less than that unbalances things; more than that is too much to keep track of, because i like to heavily incorporate characters' personal stories into the plot.

If you're interested, then first speak up in here, and then PM me a character concept. Don't worry about actually building the character yet; once the party is filled out, I'll provide guidelines. I will tell you that you'll be starting at level 3, templates and races with level adjusters are allowed, and all printed books are allowed. The party will be non-evil (and also not chaotic neutral, because that's close enough to evil), but if you want to use a class with an Evil requirement, then you can do so as long as you role play it as a good character (and your back story justifies it).

Please don't sign up for this unless you can participate for at least one post per day (more is better). I have some ideas to minimize the impact of player absences, but still, remember that people will be waiting on you.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm interested. I'll send you a PM as soon as I can. Since I have no 3.5 books could I use the open gaming classes to decide on a concept?

I'm interested. I'll send you a PM as soon as I can. Since I have no 3.5 books could I use the open gaming classes to decide on a concept?

Yes, that should be fine. As long as it conforms to the rules framework of 3.5 then I don't see a problem.

Rules of Character Creation

Build a Level 3 character (with 3,000 XP), using the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 rules. This character can't be evil and it can't be Chaotic Neutral.

All printed rulebooks and SRD material are allowed. You may also use races and templates with Level Adjusters up to +2 (though I have veto power if you pick something that I determine is out of hand). Buying off level adjustments (as described in Unearthed Arcana) will NOT be allowed.

Use the ability score array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 12, 10, then apply whichever racial/template adjusters that may be appropriate.

You start with 2,700 gold, divided as you choose between items and actual money. Use the standard book price for any items you wish to start with.

Remember to pick your extra languages (if applicable) before the game begins.

Campaign-Specific Rules Modifications

There are some changes that 4th Edition made to the game that I feel are beneficial. As such, keep the following in mind while building your characters:

-Spot and Listen are combined into a single skill called Perception. This means that if you have ranks in either Spot or Listen, it effectively counts as ranks in both.

-Hide and Move Silently are combined into a single skill called Stealth. So, ranks in either one automatically give you ranks in both.

-Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand are combined into a single skill called Thievery. Once again, ranks in one count as ranks in all of them.

-Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft are combined into a single skill called Arcana. Ranks in one count as ranks in both.

-Taking ranks in Knowledge Nature automatically gives you the same ranks in Survival, and vice versa. Similar concept to above; the only slight difference is that the two skills are keyed off of different Ability Scores, so they're not exactly the same.

-Taking ranks in Knowledge Local automatically gives you ranks in Gather Information, and vice versa. Just like in the previous, they're not combined because they're keyed off of different Ability Scores.

That's all of the changes that are relevant to character creation. Here are a few more changes that will be good to know going forward:

-Instead of dying at -10 HP, you die when you reach -(Constitution score) HP. So, if you have 16 Constitution, you die at -16 HP.

-A full night's rest in a bed indoors will completely recover your HP. Less than a full night, or sleeping anywhere else besides in a bed, will recover your Level + your Constitution modifier HP.

-I intend to use Skill Challenges in this campaign. When the time comes, I will explain, for those who may be unfamiliar with the system.

The Realities of Play-By-Post Gaming

Playing in this format has certain limitations. Here are a few things to be aware of:

-Everyone will take care of their own dice rolls. I trust you all to be honest with yourselves and with each other; I don't have time to roll for everyone, and I don't have time to deal with tedious online programs that are intended to prevent cheating. We are all adults here.

-If it's your turn to take some action, and everyone is waiting on you, you have 24 hours in real time to take that action. If you don't, your character will be considered to not take any action. If it's extremely obvious what you should do, then I might take the action for you; it's a case-by-case basis sort of thing.

-Combat will, by necessity, be a little looser than some people may be used to. There won't be a battle map, so I will use as much detail as possible when introducing a combat so that you can picture exactly what's going on and plan accordingly.

-During combat, all enemies will take their turns at once, and all the heroes will take their turns at once. In theory, this should greatly expedite combat. Everyone will roll their Initiative when the time comes, and for the creature with the highest initiative roll, that creature's team will get to go first. I realize that this will make things somewhat swingier than they'd otherwise be, but as the title of this section suggests, it's a reality of playing in this format.

-In-character roleplaying is actively encouraged, and if I see a good discussion going, I will sit back and monitor it until it's my turn to progress the story. Additionally, vivid descriptions are encouraged; it's a lot better to see "I raise my sword-arm and let out a battle cry as my blade comes down in an arc toward the goblin's face" than it is to see "I attack."

-I am going to use Spoiler Tags to great effect in this game. For example, I might tell everyone to make a Perception check, DC 20
And if you make the check, you should highlight the spoiler text
. If you don't make the check, you probably shouldn't highlight the text; or, at least, your character should act like you didn't see the text. The same goes for when a different language is spoken; if you understand it, highlight. If not, don't.

-In the same vein, you are all welcome to use spoiler text if you want to, for example, talk to someone without other characters knowing about it, or speak in another language. Just make sure you specify who it's intended for.

-Make sure that everyone can clearly tell whether you're speaking in character, describing what you're doing, or talking out-of-character. I like "Quotes around speaking", no quotes for describing what you do, (and parentheses for talking out of character), but you can use whatever convention you want, as long as it's clear what's going on.

-And finally, be aware that I like to have very story-heavy games, with plenty of opportunity for character development. If you're a particular fan of awesome, complicated battles, you may be a little disappointed, at least at first (and especially considering the format we're playing in). However, it will all be worth it when you finally get to a big storyline-relevant battle.

...I think that's about it. I would ask for character sheets, but I can't think of a particularly good way for you to send them. If you have a good way, feel free to send it over. If not, then when you're done, post in here saying as much. Also feel free to ask questions either in here or through PMs.

To any spectators who wandered in here, if you'd like to join in, then at the time of this posting there are still 2 slots available in the party. PM me a character concept.

Happy building!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Bones

313_TurntimberRanger.jpg

I'll edit this post in with full details of my character.

Hmm, since we're starting with 2,700 Gold, I'll probably alter my backstory to accommodate some things I'm considering (like a cart) as well as the hook you gave me in PM.

These are interesting times in the City of Alydar.

Located in the center of the continent, for most of its history Alydar has been little more than a way-station for travelers wishing to punctuate their journeys with a good meal and a safe place to lay their head.

Then, a few short months ago, a tremendous gold mine was discovered just outside the city. The population has been steadily expanding ever since.

With an expanding population comes an increasing need to keep order, and this is a task that local law enforcement is not yet prepared for; therefore, they have turned to Klaus's Ranging Company to help.

Klaus's Ranging Company has been a mainstay in Alydar for years. By all accounts a reputable organization, the Company accepts jobs from tourists and local folk alike. Although Klaus enjoys a profit, his main concern is helping people; therefore, his company will not accept any job it deems wrong or illegal. Since local law enforcement has been getting overwhelmed, business has picked up significantly; Klaus's rangers have been tasked with keeping order outside of city walls, in the area surrounding Alydar.
Although things have been busy in general recently, today in particular has seen a sudden surge in job requests.

Quintus, Bones, Sarm Santee, and Ivor Fireheart have been sent on a mission to take care of a group of rowdy Kobolds, to the north of the city. According to the job request, these kobolds have been terrorizing travelers and ransacking caravans for the past few days.

Although these four adventurers have seen each other around town in the course of doing business, and may have even worked missions with one another from time to time, the four have never all been on the same mission before today.

After investigating the area alluded to by the request and doing some simple tracking work, the group thinks they have found the kobold den. Hidden behind a thick, wild hedge, they have been camped outside of a large, primitive hut, made of straw, grass, mud, and small tree trunks, for ten minutes. The hut has a single door, covered by a dirty sheet, but no windows. Although the outside of the shack is rife with signs that kobolds obviously live here, so far the party hasn't spotted any coming in or going out.

It's midday, and although the sun is shining, for the most part the woods here are covered in shade. A light, steady breeze is blowing, and apart from chirping birds and the gurgle of a nearby creek, all is quiet.

((As you guys discuss how to proceed, include a description of what your character looks like and how he is dressed.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"So who's going to knock? Day's far too fine to be shut up inside a shack like that."

Running a hand back through his hair, Ivor takes time to savour the pleasant weather in between inspections of his crossbows. Being small enough to be wielded in each hand, the bows have a higher chance of malfunction than that of most other projectile weapons. It has been several weeks since Ivor Fireheart's last guided mission; a gold mining job that ended in failure after an accident wounded his clients. To this day he has believed the accident was an act of sabotage and despite his saving of the injured with first aid the worry is clear on the dwarf's face. He will not let the people of Alydar down again.

Rising to his feet under the tree where he was preparing, he holsters his hand crossbows at his hips with a dagger also at each side. As he steps out of the shade you see him more clearly, a tanned dwarf with dark brown hair brushed back into a ponytail that ends at his broad shoulders. His full beard is trimmed neatly. In fact, this man has taken pride in his appearance down to the display of his leather armour; polished plates strapped to a durable outfit with a smart military cloak. Most of this is an attempt to hide a burn on his face and neck suffered in the mining accident.

"This den's size could be deceiving. Kobolds burrow, that's what I've always been told, so I have a suspicion that it could expand into the ground." Ivor chuckles before continuing.

"They could have realised too that the rangers have been contracted. Wouldn't blame them if they're scared..."

"I can take a look around while staying hidden and take a closer look, see if any watchers are out or if there are any more points of entry. So what do you think?"

Quintus, a young human wizard with red hair and green eyes, awkwardly adjusts the cheap looking cloak covering his otherwise expensive looking clothes underneath, revealing his dagger and light crossbow hidden beneath it.

"Anything would be better then looking at this mud hut any longer then we must and the sooner we finish with these... creatures, the sooner we get paid. So please, go right on ahead, just be careful."

Sarm Santee stands as a foreigner in his late twenties, dressed in a combination of armor and hanging garbs. He keeps a spiked weapon and a shield hidden under his cloak, not wishing to come off as violently threatening even when on a mission.

Although Sarm Santee has done missions with some of the others before, he has remained distant in relationship, knowing that his travels come and go and does not attach himself to places. He has yet to speak of his greater tasks he expects to come, knowing that most are oblivious to his diety's influence and would not believe him. He is patient as these simple tasks such as slaying Kobolds come and go.

"That seems wise to me." He responds, "I wish you safety in Pelor's care." He places a clenched fist towards his heart, where unseen he has grafted a symbol onto his body, "I will be impatient for your return to learn of your safety."

jon bones

"Aye," Bones adds.

The dark, diminutive elf peers out from under his hood while he adjusts his bow. Though he is barely 5 feet tall, the elf carries himself with a calm confidence. His dark hair and brown skin are all but covered by a navy cloak, thin layers of hunter green cloth and aged leather beneath.

His small stature is offset by the immense size of the riding dog next to him. The beast he affectionately calls "Daisy." The friendship between the two woodland creatures is immediate and obvious - he alternates between meticulously checking his own equipment and her combing her thick, grey coat.

"We are all eager to see this done quickly."

((Ivor,, give me a Perception check and a Stealth check, and describe how you go about this.

I'll assume that the rest of you are staying where you are and watching his back; if that's the case, you don't need to reply. Just let me know if you're doing anything different than that))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I'm really sorry for the delay, everyone. ThLunarian's given me some great tips on how to do rolls so everything will be much smoother as I get a handle on things!))

"Aright then, here's what I'll do. This thick bush surrounding the den should serve as ample cover for my little stroll, but if the worst happens I will whistle loudly, like this..."

Ivor mimes making a whistle, keeping an eye on Bones' companion in case it gets too excited.

"I'll make a single trip around the exterior - there are no windows so this shouldn't be difficult. I'm just concerned about this single entrance, it reeks of an ambush. Don't worry about missing me, I won't be long at all."

Code:
Stealth - Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  12 + 10 modifier = 22

Perception - Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  16 + 7 modifier = 23

((How'd you do that code to make it roll the dice? Is it pretty simple? Because that'd be a great tool for everyone to use in this campaign. I didn't realize that capability existed on this forum))

With a lightness of foot that's surprising even for a dwarf of his size, Ivor deftly makes his way around the ramshackle structure, covering his approach by way of the surrounding foliage. The unmistakable smell of kobold assaults his nostrils as he closes in.

He makes his way uneventfully to the back of the hut, and once there, he confirms his original suspicion: judging by the sag of the soil, it seems this dwelling does extend down into the ground, at least twenty feet past the back of the building. Past that, the ground looks normal; Ivor cannot say with certainty whether that's because it extends no further, or because it simply goes deeper.

He begins to circle around the other direction when something catches his eye: two adult male kobolds are approaching the front door, with a freshly-killed deer in tow. He ducks behind a tree, and makes eye contact with the rest of the group; they indicate with silent hand signals that they've also caught sight of the encroaching pair.

The kobolds have no idea that they're being watched. They are both dressed in little more than rags; one is carrying a shoddily-built throwing spear with a sharpened wooden tip, and the other has an old, rusty blade that looks like it may have once resembled a machete.

You ((and by "you" I mean everyone)) estimate that they'll be inside the house in about ten seconds (two turns). If you choose to attack, you will automatically have initiative and will not have to roll for it, as they have no idea any of you are there. They are in range of all of your ranged weapons and/or spells, and will continue to be until they enter the hut.

Quintus whispers to the others still nearby, "I'm going to draw them here, try to leave one alive." then casts Alter Self on... himself, hopefully quietly enough to not alert the kobolds. He then pokes his head out from there hiding spot, motioning at the kobolds to come to him, and his hidden companions, as well as speaking out in draconic, just loud enough for the two kobolds to hear him
"Come come! I find many, many shinnies here!"

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((How'd you do that code to make it roll the dice? Is it pretty simple? Because that'd be a great tool for everyone to use in this campaign. I didn't realize that capability existed on this forum))

((I'm afraid it wasn't here. An IRC room I frequent has a dice roll script installed. !dice 1d20, !dice 2d6 for HP and so on. I just wrapped the results in [/code]))

((*squeal!*))

Quintus whispers to the others still nearby, "I'm going to draw them here, try to leave one alive." then casts Alter Self on... himself, hopefully quietly enough to not alert the kobolds. He then pokes his head out from there hiding spot, motioning at the kobolds to come to him, and his hidden companions, as well as speaking out in draconic, just loud enough for the two kobolds to hear him
"Come come! I find many, many shinnies here!"

With Quintus' plan in progress, Ivor draws his crossbows, one in each hand. Whether or not the impressive trick will work, he is ready to attempt a deadly twin shot.

((I'm afraid it wasn't here. An IRC room I frequent has a dice roll script installed. !dice 1d20, !dice 2d6 for HP and so on. I just wrapped the results in [/code]))

((IRC bots are all well and good, but if anyone needs one I've used this fancy website for rolling before http://rolz.org/#. And if you use a room, you can have multiple people watch the rolls and it even keeps logs.))

Sarm crouches down to further conceal himself behind cover. He wordlessly nods approvingly at the plan to leave one of the Kobolds alive. Although their god is an evil one, he does not consider the kobolds to be much of a nuisance, and chooses not to allow his judgement to be clouded.

The transformation into a kobold is something he hasn't witnessed before, giving him surprise. He eyes the plan with interest, wondering if it will bring success. He clenches his weapon and shield, preparing himself for the upcoming ambush.

((IRC bots are all well and good, but if anyone needs one I've used this fancy website for rolling before http://rolz.org/#. And if you use a room, you can have multiple people watch the rolls and it even keeps logs.))
((Cool beans. *adds to bookmarks*))

The two kobolds appear surprised. They exchange a glance of confusion, before looking again at Quintus's convincing disguise.

They emit some guttural screeching sounds that sound like a primitive, bastardized form of Draconic that, even to a non-speaker, sound inquisitive.

(Draconic)
"Who are you? What you doing here? You talk fancy."

They release their hold on the deer and take one tentative step toward Quintus. They seem genuinely perplexed. Notably, their backs are turned to Ivor's direction. ((Ivor, should you decide to attack here, you would get your Sneak Attack damage))

Quintus, although you're speaking the same language, their accent is very different from the Draconian high speech you studied at the Academy. If you want to try to continue speaking with them and wish to emulate their accent, give me a Diplomacy check.

((Also, remember to make Bluff checks as appropriate. You don't need one for the original lie about the shinies; they didn't really pay much attention to what you said because they were too startled by your appearance. But if you continue the conversation, go ahead and roll the bluff))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Ivor, should you decide to attack here, you would get your Sneak Attack damage))

This is a tricky decision for Ivor to make. He needs to know when the party will pounce and on who. Because of distance, Ivor isn't aware of Quintus wanting one of the two alive, so the rest need to decide if spear kobold or machete kobold is going down because his trigger fingers are getting itchy and this is too good an opportunity to miss!

Quintus realizes their accent is far worse the he originally expected, and tries to take his down a notch... or several.
(Draconic)
"I am Enelissk, I find many shinies! I bring them to nest! You help!"
Code:
Diplomancy: 1D20+1 => [ 12 ] +1 = 13
Bluff: 1D20+1 => [ 6 ] +1 = 7
((curses! if only i had picked sorcerer instead...))

jon bones

"Enough." Bones mutters as he draws his bow. "We take down the one with the spear - he's got better range, we outnumber them and we have them surrounded."

He let's loose a an arrow aimed at the speared kobold.

For hit FOR GM
(1d20 + base attack bonus + dex modifier + size modifier) I'm including this info to ensure I'm doing the math correctly.
1d20 (13) + (3) + (5) + (1) = 22

For damage (1d6)
1d6 (2) = 2

The kobolds back away warily. Although you're pretty sure you nailed their accent this time, clearly there's something about you that they distrust. Their eyes drift to the large hedge next to you, which could easily be hiding something - or someone.

(Draconic)
"No, we not interested. Go away, we not know you!"

They both grab hold of their hunters' spoils and begin hastily making their way toward the door.

((You have one round before they make it inside. Ivor, you still have the chance to sneak attack one of them, or both, if you fire one at each target. Also remember that Sneak Attack damage is only applied to the first time you hit the same target each round. Sarm, they are within range for you to reach them and attack in the same round; the rest of you are distance fighters, so you also wouldn't have a problem if you chose to attack))

Edit: Bones beat me to the punch, which is fine. We'll say that he fires his arrow after the exchange I just laid out.

When you guys attack, go ahead and roll for damage at the same time you roll to hit. So Bones, edit in the damage that this hit would deal (it will hit). I'll resolve this round after everyone has taken a turn.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Judging by the damage thresholds for our present weapons, I'll back up Bones here.))

Seeing the ranger unleash an arrow at the spear wielding kobold, Ivor decides now is the time to strike. Cursing under his breath, he fires both hand crossbows at the same target. It would have been interesting to have seen this magic trick work.

Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  13 15
Hand crossbow 1, 13 + 6 modifier = 19
Hand crossbow 2, 15 + 6 modifier = 21

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  3 1
Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  2 3
Hand crossbow 1, 3 + 5 sneak attack = 8 damage
Hand crossbow 2, 1 = 1 damage

((Did I do this right?))

The Cleric doesn't hesitate to spring into action to help take control of the situation. He steps ahead after the arrows and bolts fly, hurrying to the Kobold that has yet to be attacked, and attempts to wrap his arms around him to secure him.

Code:
If not hit from AoO, grapple check (melee touch): 1D20+4 => [ 6 ] +4 = 10

If successful, the unarmed strike damage: 1D3+2 => [ 1 ] +2 = 3

This is my first time performing a grapple check, so I might be doing some calculations wrong.

As the kobolds attempt to make their retreat, Bones rises from behind the hedge to strike with an arrow. In his haste, he is unable to strike a killing blow, instead piercing the creature's leg.

(Draconic)
"WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! PROTECT THE CHILDREN!!!!!

The creature lets out a piercing howl toward the hut, just before Ivor's crossbow bolt strikes true, and skewers the skull of the beast.

With one target neutralized, Sarm rushes forward to incapacitate the other. He spreads his arms in an attempt to restrain the creature, but the Kobold is able to sidestep the attempt, and Sarm is left holding empty air as the Kobold sprints desperately toward his hut.

((I know Quintus hasn't gone yet, but I thought he'd find it useful to know the state of the battle now before making a move that may not make sense at this point. Edits are coming soon with some things for all three of you to watch out for going forward, but so far so good))

((Edit: Okay, in order:
Bones: First, remember to add in Point Blank Shot when it's relevant. It won't always be, but in this situation you would have gotten that additional +1 to hit. It ended up not mattering, but it's good to remember for the future. Also, your character sheet doesn't say which bow you decided to go with. I'm assuming a small-sized longbow? I would consider upgrading to a Composite Longbow, which lets you add your Strength modifier to your damage rolls. It's still early enough to where I'll let you switch it out as though you'd started with it, if you like.

Ivor: When you attack with both weapons in the same turn, each one should be at a -2, which means they'd each be rolling at a total of +4. In this case it didn't matter because both would hit anyway, but just remember that.

Sarm: A grapple check is probably the most complicated thing to figure out in the game, so I don't blame you for getting it not quite right, but it was a bit off in this case. When you make a Grapple check, you open yourself up to an Attack of Opportunity first, which you did correctly. Then, you make an unarmed attack roll against their Touch AC, which you also did. However, after that, you don't make a damage roll; instead, you do a Grapple Check against the bad guy. To do a Grapple Check, you add your Strength Modifier to your Base Attack Bonus, and roll a d20. Add those together (plus other possible modifiers, but you don't have any right now), and that's your grapple check. The enemy does the same thing. If you get the higher result, you are grappling the bad guy; if he wins, he can avoid the grapple. Also, the defender in the grapple attempt may use the Escape Artist skill in place of their grapple check.

Things just get more complicated after that, so I'll leave that explanation until you successfully grapple someone.

Oh and Quintus, it is your turn, in case there was any ambiguity earlier. It occurred to me that my above explanation could've been interpreted as skipping over your turn, which I did not intend. So, whenever you're ready... the kobold is about to get away! :)

And guys, don't let my rules nit-picking give you the wrong idea; you guys are doing awesome, and I am enjoying the little roleplaying touches that you're all adding into your characters' personalities. I'm already brewing up ways to integrate them into the main plot. Keep it up!))

Quintus figures he will have to stop final kobold himself and casts the wizards best friend, Grease, right under the the kobolds feet. (Reflex save: DC 15)

The Kobold is caught unaware as a slick sheet of slippery goo manifests beneath its feet (failed save at an 8). It falls abruptly to the ground, but is able to keep its wits about it and carefully, yet hastily, climb to its feet (passed balance check at a 20). Being careful has slowed it down considerably, however, and it's only able to cover half the distance to the front door before our heroes are ready to act again. It's still screeching, though at this point it's no longer forming Draconic words and is now simply wailing in panic (or, perhaps, as a warning to its brethren).

Perception check, DC 20 (DC means "Difficulty Class", and it means that you make a Perception check, and If your result is 20 or better, you notice what is in the following spoiler tag. You don't have to tell me the result on these; simply react to it (or choose not to) if you notice it)
There is commotion coming from inside the hut, and it seems to be moving away from you, toward the back of the building.

((You guys are up again))

((I would love to join, but, I've never played D&D, so 'd be hopelessly confused))

((Guess how everyone ever has started out in d&d... in fact, here I'll help get you started http://www.d20srd.org/

Well anyways, I failed the perception check so I have no idea what is going on in the spoiler yet(both IC and OOC) and I figure it best to see what the other do before I cast any spells(if I even need to at all) or w/e... I really should have brought color spray or sleep for this.))

jon bones

For GM
1d20: (8) + listen skill modifier (8) + spot skill modifier (8) = 24, is that correct?

For team:
I think I made the check, but I'll wait to reveal the info until I get confirmation

For GM
1d20: (8) + listen skill modifier (8) + spot skill modifier (8) = 24, is that correct?

For team:
I think I made the check, but I'll wait to reveal the info until I get confirmation

((Unfortunately not, I probably didn't explain it properly. You only use the bonus from one of the skills; it's just that either Listen or Spot count as Perception, but not both combined. So you don't need to take ranks in both. However, this means that you failed this check.))

((Hmm... was kinda hoping Sarm would go for another grapple on the kobold. Anyways, heading out of town today, should be back sometime late tomorrow, not sure whether or not i'll be able to check up on the topic between then (but considering where i'm going, probably). Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.))

((I should probably go ahead and try another grapple then. I just wanted to see if the others wanted to handle the Kobold any differently))

Sarm runs up to the slowed down Kobold, attempting to apprehend it once more.

Code:
If not hit from AoO, 1st grapple check (melee touch): 1D20+4 => [ 19 ] +4 = 23

2nd grapple check: 1D20+4 => [ 20 ] +4 = 24

The kobold is successfully apprehended by Sarm, and will not be going anywhere; Sarm is clearly much stronger than it. Its howls have subsided to whimpers, and it stops resisting as the rest of the party surrounds it.

Draconic
What you want with us?? We no done anything!!

((You guys may continue combat turns if you like, or we can proceed with out-of-combat roleplay; it's up to how you want to play it. If you decide to roleplay, then Quintus, you can go ahead and type in Draconic without spoilers, as though you're translating for the kobold (though if Quintus might be unavailable for a little while, we may have to wait in this case). If you want to keep attacking it, you may proceed to do that as well))

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Message from Songbird: GAF's not loading for him, he'll check in as soon as it's working again :)

Sarm quickly drags the Kobold back out towards where the others are, remaining silent in his task because he does not understand the Kobold language.

Message from Songbird: GAF's not loading for him, he'll check in as soon as it's working again :)
((OOC: It was down for me too.))

((You guys may continue combat turns if you like, or we can proceed with out-of-combat roleplay; it's up to how you want to play it. If you decide to roleplay, then Quintus, you can go ahead and type in Draconic without spoilers, as though you're translating for the kobold (though if Quintus might be unavailable for a little while, we may have to wait in this case). If you want to keep attacking it, you may proceed to do that as well))

((Fortunately I have time for a quick post right now))

Quintus, still in kobold form(may still be useful and I got 40 minutes on this thing so why not?), waits for Sarm to bring the kobold over and says "Heh. He claims they've done nothing, if that were the case we wouldn't be here." then turns to the kobold and begins speaking in 'fancy' draconic "You claim you've done nothing, but we were sent here because a group of kobolds were reported to have been attacking travelers and ransacking caravans. Explain that you dirty little snake."

Code:
Diplomancy(just in case): 1D20+1 => [ 1 ] +1 = 2
((Epic roll right there))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I'm back! Couldn't get on all day, plus I failed that perception check.))

Rejoining the rest of the party, Ivor is surprised at the efforts made to keep one of the kobold guards alive.

"You're all damned lucky I concentrated my efforts on the same target as Bones. Otherwise this gentleman here would be either a lot less co-operative or a lot more dead," he says with visible concern. "No, it was my fault. An inherent risk in separating ourselves."

He looks to the fancy kobold Quintus. "I'm not sure what to make of this. He fears for his life but after the attacks on travelers I'm sure he would have returned to attack us without a second thought. My suspicions were true, the camp here does extend deeper into the ground. That means we would have lost him."

Reacting to Quintus' attempt at diplomacy: "Be gentle with the poor guy, luggage!" he laughs.

The Kobold, upon hearing Quintus's accusation, shakes its head back and forth emphatically. It replies defiantly in its native tongue, and Quintus translates. "No! No! Not true, is a lie! We no attack anyone! We just mind own business, far from Human towns, and raise children!" He hesitates, looks at each party member one at a time, and does something that could be interpreted as a resigned sigh. "You see for self, look in hut! We no take anything from humans! Just hunt and scavenge!"

Sense Motive check. If you speak Draconic, DC 10; if you don't speak Draconic, DC 15
This Kobold speaks with conviction, and seems to genuinely believe what he's saying. Furthermore, it doesn't seem smart enough to be capable of such elaborate deception.

If you fail the check, you can't tell if it's telling the truth or not.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Sense Motive - Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  9 + 7 modifier (thank god) = 16

((Passed! Barely.))

Although the kobold's Draconic tongue amounts to gobbeldygook for Ivor, the rogue senses something is amiss. His gaze wanders between the party's captive and its slain companion.

"What is he saying, Quintus?"

Code:
Sense Motive - Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  9 + 7 modifier (thank god) = 16

((Passed! Barely.))

Although the kobold's Draconic tongue amounts to gobbeldygook for Ivor, the rogue senses something is amiss. His gaze wanders between the party's captive and its slain companion.

"What is he saying, Quintus?"

((Since we're out of combat and Quintus indicated that he's translating, it's assumed that he already told everyone what the Kobold said. Your check was to determine whether you believed him based on his body language.

I wasn't sure whether to require Quintus to relay the translation himself or to just shortcut it like this; I decided to do it this way to save time. If you guys would prefer the other way in the future, let me know; for this particular encounter we will assume that he's already translated))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Since we're out of combat and Quintus indicated that he's translating, it's assumed that he already told everyone what the Kobold said. Your check was to determine whether you believed him based on his body language.

I wasn't sure whether to require Quintus to relay the translation himself or to just shortcut it like this; I decided to do it this way to save time. If you guys would prefer the other way in the future, let me know; for this particular encounter we will assume that he's already translated))

((Ah, gotcha. I wasn't paying attention.)) The screen wipes!

Ivor's expression changes from disbelief to frustration. "Children? By the gods! I would like to meet any leadership in this den and get to the bottom of this. If kobolds were reported to have attacked travelers then something must be done - what if it's another clan? Quintus, if you can shape yourself into one of them then brigands could have done too."

He attempts to carefully place a hand on the captive's shoulder. "I suggest we take our captive inside and be on our best behaviour, even if we have to answer for our ambush. This job just got a whole lot more complicated."

((How is everyone's diplomacy rank?))

Code:
Sense Motive: 1D20+6 => [ 6 ] +6 = 12

Being the one to actively keep the Kobold held, he is unable to pay attention to body language, and the translation given to them by Quintis does not convey the same emotions as the kobold does. Upon hearing the translation of the Kobold, Sarm looks over to Quintis, "Tell him this. I wish that few are harmed today. However; I do not know if what he speaks is the truth."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"What else can we do with our captive? Kill him in cold blood? No, I...I just feel it in my gut. I saw him run and thought he would be back with more fighters. He probably would have done if they were hoarding stolen goods or protecting kin, but this is a good reason to."

"This will sound like such a sudden change in opinion, but we can use this fellow to end this amicably. All I can ask is that you give me that chance. You wish for few to be harmed, Sarm - this is my solution. That...or we take him back to Alydar and the Rangers. Otherwise we just kill him and we gain nothing."

He withdraws his hand from the kobold and runs it through his hair once again.

Quintus still doesn't quite believe this kobold's story((i had the easiest check, yet rolled a 5...)), but can't be sure if he is lying either. He says "I can't say I quite trust his story, and just walking into their den could very well be trap... preferably something more then just acting nice and hoping they trust us, because if they really do have children down there, they will not want us anywhere near them, I'd bet." then he turns to the kobold and speaks in draconic "What would be the safest way into your little home here? And no tricks, okay?"

Sarm takes note of Ivor's plea, reassuring him, "I do not object to any plan that may help in any way possible. I sense that we are all in agreement."

The Kobold nods; he is plainly scared, but is doing his best to keep composed. "Only one entrance in front. One big room, and storage in back. My brothers probably guarding back door. Safe room in emergency."

Sarm and the Kobold lead the way into the hut. The inside contains no light sources, and although Ivor can see in the dark just as well as the kobolds, the rest of the party isn't so fortunate; Sarm produces a lantern to illuminate the dwelling.

The Kobold spoke true: The hut is nothing more than a large room. The floor is dirt. In one corner is a series of haystacks, likely to sleep in, and a fire pit is in another corner. There is nothing of value; trinkets lay strewn about, such as childrens' toys, broken kitchen utensils, and tarnished jewelry.

In the back of the room, three kobolds stand guard around a dark, open doorway. They are armed with hunting implements and are donning pots and pans as helmets and shields. "Kuromimi!" one shrieks in Draconic, "What happen?!"

The Kobold being held by Sarm speaks up, again in Draconic. "Humans think we attack travelers! I tell them no; they want inspect hut!"

The Kobolds in back exchange glances, and hold their ground. They look like they don't know what to say.

Ivor, you have Darkvision, so give me a perception check, DC 13.
You see a group of tiny Kobold children skittering about in the back room, and a larger one standing in front of them, with a different color fur than the ones in this room - probably an adult female

Top Bottom