• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quiet Actress (MGS:V) on Sexualization: "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all."

Papa_Wisdom

dt2pAi0.png

I don't see the issue.. She looks fine in the outfit.
Just ordered myself one of these
KOb8m6O.jpg

Elysium44

Banned
Yup and if people actually read they'd not be shitting on her

She deserves it for saying this: "having more of a diverse representation in video games for women and all minorities is something I would encourage"

What does that even mean? It's just gibberish.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

She's secretly cool as fuck. She was cinematic director on Wanted: Dead, and also released a good 80s style album used on the OST. Unlockables in the game include several episodes of a cooking show she is hosting live that are pretty hilarious. And she just released a single with Giorgio Moroder a few days ago.
Yes I still want to get Wanted: Dead!
The collector's edition is pretty cheap now so I may get that for the bookshelf and Steam copy to play. Is the game a breeze to play through over a weekend? Or should I wait until after RoboCop?

mortal

Gold Member
I thought her comments were reasonable tbh, and I mostly agree with her.
Being sexy was the entire point of Quiet's character design. Metal Gear games are all about stylish hyperreality, and they're ultimately power fantasies.
All the Snake characters are super fit and handsome one-man army badasses. Hardly reflective of the most elite men IRL, let alone, the average man.

I don't understand why so much of the female character design discourse in video games seems to be a zero-sum game now.
You have one camp that hates seeing portrayals of sexy female characters, and another camp that hates seeing portrayals of more unconventional female characters.
I happily fall right in the middle, and I suspect many others do. I'm more concerned about the execution of the concept than I am with the existence of the concept.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes I still want to get Wanted: Dead!
The collector's edition is pretty cheap now so I may get that for the bookshelf and Steam copy to play. Is the game a breeze to play through over a weekend? Or should I wait until after RoboCop?
It's a short game, but the learning curve can be quite steep for people. It's designed to be replayed for sure. I beat it 7x this year.

I love the game, but I have never officially recommended it to anyone. It's such a divisive game that everyone that buys it must make that decision on their own. You might consider it the worst game you've ever played, or a ton of fun.

violence

She deserves it for saying this: "having more of a diverse representation in video games for women and all minorities is something I would encourage"

What does that even mean? It's just gibberish.
What was the question IGN asked? You have to remember She was basically talking to a crazy cat lady working for IGN. So she gave the fluff answers.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not practical for conducting missions under the scorching sun of Afghanistan or in the dense jungles of Africa. She is right.

Yes this is fiction and I certainly enoyed looking at Quiet, plus there's the lore justification, call it dumb but at least it's there.

I think Stephanie deserves to portray other characters in gaming. Too bad nobody is interested in casting her.
quiet is a plant

BrunoCoel

Of course I would show my sexy naked body if I has to go to war. If I'm gonna die I wanna die slaying and as hot as possible.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

It's not practical for conducting missions under the scorching sun of Afghanistan or in the dense jungles of Africa. She is right.

It's impractical for a normal human in those conditions, but Quiet is not a regular human. So it's really up to the interpretation of the creator whether something is practical or not for a fictional being with supernatural abilities.

Mister Wolf

It was never intended to be. The outfit as well as she served their purpose. Sexual titillation aka "sex sells". Which I have no problem with. The majority of people making videogames are hetero males. The majority of people buying videogames on Consoles/PC are hetero males. Makes sense to pander to your paying customers. Ask the Saint's Row developers what happens when you pander to people that historically do not buy your products.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think she played the right card in terms of avoiding a bunch of nonsense, even if she really agrees with how it was portrayed or not.

Dr. Suchong

I'd forgotten about Quiets back story explaining her attire.
A story as pathetically transparent and flimsy as her garments.

This is probably the most sensible take on this I've heard from a woman in the gaming industry since the Culture Wars started. They're usually all in on the muh oppression-narrative.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Can we just accept the fact that these design are just for eyes pleasure and forget about "being functional" for once? For some reason American people are kinda obsessed with things looking functional, but this is science fiction anyway so basically nothing is actually functional in real life lol.

Kojima also shouldn't have tried justifying it lmao, just say it's because it makes your dick happy or whatever like Yoko taro 😂

She was in a game this year.
What game? Looks like I'm out of the loop.
quiet is a plant
Well that must be the sexiest plant I've ever seen.
It's impractical for a normal human in those conditions, but Quiet is not a regular human. So it's really up to the interpretation of the creator whether something is practical or not for a fictional being with supernatural abilities.
Fair enough.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
2015 had some amazing games. Bloodborne came out that year. MGSV had some awesome moments. The ending mission and then taking out posts with the air strikes. The CQC is probably the best it ever was in MGSV.

People look at all these things and it makes you wonder if they even played the game. It’s a super fun game. It’s also super hot in Afghanistan, so why wtf do people want to police what Quiet wears to stay alive? It’s silly.

midnightAI

I thought her answer was great. She didn’t criticize Kojima’s choices, she thought outfit was not practical and revealed a lot (both are true) but she respects that this was Kojima’s story to tell and it’s fantasy. Frankly I don’t think we could ask for a better response.
Yeh, but as has already mentioned people still don't read, it's amazing really, people have the pitchforks out before they even enter the thread

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There shouldn't be any controversy. Devs get criticized for making "sexualized characters" while half the bitches on the internet sexualize themselves online either for attention or money.

YuLY

This bitch lol. Yea she saw the artwork and respected it and took the money but now she plays a different tune when theres clout to be gained for fighting the good woke fight. Fuck off.

ssringo

There shouldn't be any controversy. Devs get criticized for making "sexualized characters" while half the bitches on the internet sexualize themselves online either for attention or money.
Devs are projecting their misogynistic tendencies onto the character against her will. Duh.

lion king reaction gif GIF by Feminist Frequency

/s

Last edited:

IAmRei

So what part of her answers is so offending to the people that are offended other people get offended by stuff they don't get offended by enough to call her a bitch and devalue her whole being as only worthwhile because of a game they only know her from like she has to care? Weird & creepy.
Hmm...offendiception

Top Bottom