• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabid Fanboy Post with Fake Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to Thread Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daigoro

What was the original title of the thread? The current one definitely caught my eye!

Really looking forward to this game. Uncharted 3 left me a bit underwhelmed, but I think that's mostly because 2 was imo one of the best games this gen.

somethiing about TLOU gives a big FU to AAA games.

lol

Ricky_R

Just got a tip from an insider confirming that meta was hired by Peter Molyneux to help him create a new game out of thin air in 20 minutes.

wrowa

No disrespect, but until someone from Germany got to this thread no one had heard of them.

So yeah, they seem like a pretty no name publication in the grand scheme.

How many non-English magazines do you know?

On GAF everything that isn't English isn't well-known. That doesn't mean that all relevant magazines are in English, however.

Squire

Banned
How many non-English magazines do you know?

On GAF everything that isn't English isn't well-known. That doesn't mean that all relevant magazines are in English, however.

I spend half my time discussing a Japanese rag that makes promises and never delivers. I know not all relevant publications are in English, I assure you.

The saddest thing about these made up rumours is that eventually some people will play the game and say "I wish they had used the feature that was in that rumor" and blame the game for not being something it never intended to be.

Must be frustrating for developers seeing people on the net bashing the game for something that doesn't even exist.

duckroll

What was the original title of the thread? The current one definitely caught my eye!

Really looking forward to this game. Uncharted 3 left me a bit underwhelmed, but I think that's mostly because 2 was imo one of the best games this gen.

"New Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to conventional AAA games"

I'm not kidding you. Lol. I was just wondering if the guy was a viral marketer just hours before it was called as a fake.

jarosh

No disrespect, but until someone from Germany got to this thread no one had heard of them.

So yeah, they seem like a pretty no name publication in the grand scheme.

Cute. Please name some other, more "relevant" non-English gaming magazines that you're aware of. No googling. Thought so.

Mikey Jr.

WOW!

I wake up to this? I thought that info looked fucking awesome, but now it is possible he made it all up?

That is some real bullshit. Dude should be ashamed.

wrowa

I spend half my time discussing a Japanese rag that makes promises and never delivers. I know not all relevant publications are in English, I assure you.

I thought it was obvious without saying that I'm excluding Japanese magazines like Famitsu from this. After all, those are pretty much the only source of information for Japanese games -- if you are interested in Japanese games, you don't have any other choice than to pay attention. I'm referring to Western media. Since all of them are pretty much reporting about the same stuff, there's not much reason to know any of the magazines apart of the ones in your mother tongue and/or English. However, that doesn't make other magazines "no-name" or not relevant.

subscribed just need some popcorn.

Maniac is around since the 1990. in germany, so they are definitely not no-name, then again I don't read them so I don't know if they make stuff up.

I read the first fourth of the OP. Good thing I didn't finish reading.

I think it'd be cool if you had the ability to choose what hand was dominant for characters. I want all my characters to represent me and my left-handedness!
not really, but it'd still be cool

Corto

"New Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to conventional AAA games"

I'm not kidding you. Lol. I was just wondering if the guy was a viral marketer just hours before it was called as a fake.

Honestly first time I read it this morning I had the exact opposite reaction. It felt like an anti-viral marketer. Some "positive" remarks and comments and then a huge eyebrow rising negative (input lag) casually thrown at the end just to stir things up.

duckroll

So was this article just a complete copy and paste from GAF, attributing it to a magazine?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/10605-n...-joel-has-own-hit-detection-no-blindfire.html

Here's what happened:

- Secretarial Dog posted information split into two parts, one from a "source" of his who he claims has actually played the game, and the other from the German magazine he had. The information is clearly separated in that post.

- meta4 decides that he's too cool for school, and rushes to make a sensationalist thread about how the information shows that Last of Us is the second coming of creative freedom giving the finger to the AAA industry... or whatever. And he mixes all the info into one post and then dumps a photo of the mag cover at the end.

- The information gets picked up by press outlets which attribute most of the information to the magazine.

- Said information is debunked by the director of Last of Us.

So somewhere along the line, someone lied. Was it the magazine? Was it his source? Both? Is there some misunderstanding about the facts being presented? I don't think we have a clear picture yet other than the fact that the OP is too embarrassing to ignore.

Dahbomb

- meta4 decides that he's too cool for school, and rushes to make a sensationalist thread about how the information shows that Last of Us is the second coming of creative freedom giving the finger to the AAA industry... or whatever. And he mixes all the info into one post and then dumps a photo of the mag cover at the end.

I lol'd!

Melchiah

The reason developers try to avoid having input lag in their games isn't to cater to the "mainstream", it's because they don't want their game to be an unplayable piece of shit.

As someone said above me, input lag isn't a feature. It's a game crippling flaw.

I played the game through again recently, and to tell the truth it didn't bother me at all. The same can be said about the first playthrough before the patch. It certainly didn't cripple the game for me. Then again, it may be I'm not that sensitive about it, as I had been playing on my LCD with the game mode off for ages, and the greater input lag (70-80ms, IIRC) never bothered me. And I don't play FPS games that much, so I may not be that accustomed to how the other games play.

I imagine KZ2 would feel different if you played it right after CoD or such, but the same can be said about games of other genres. I personally welcome the difference, everything doesn't have be made according to the same mold, and handle exactly the same.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So OK,
- the #1 part is from the unidentified source, and it's BS. This is the part that quotes input lag, and "hearing mode" btw.
- the #2 part is from the magazine and is supposed to be true? This is the part where all the really interesting stuff is anyway, like bullet extraction, healing, having to use smaller gun when shot in arm etc.

So somewhere along the line, someone lied. Was it the magazine? Was it his source? Both? Is there some misunderstanding about the facts being presented? I don't think we have a clear picture yet other than the fact that the OP is too embarrassing to ignore.
Easy: Ask the guy to send you the photos of the pages from magazine.

rouken

i wouldn't say shit about thread creator if he didn't create such a sensationalist title. video games really brings the crazy out of people.

no wonder people are predicting the TLOU review thread to be another carnival of stupid.

duckroll

So OK,
- the #1 part is from the unidentified source, and it's BS. This is the part that quotes input lag, and "hearing mode" btw.
- the #2 part is from the magazine and is supposed to be true? This is the part where all the really interesting stuff is anyway, like bullet extraction, healing, having to use smaller guy when shot in arm etc.

That's what we're trying to verify. Might take a while.

Easy: Ask the guy to send you the photos of the pages from magazine.

Don't worry, we're on it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm really considering walking to the gas station to pick it up myself.
It would be pretty crazy that a gaming magazine printed something so detailed and deliberate about the game, that's also completely made up. I can't even fathom the conditions for something like that to happen, on your cover story none the less.

CTLance

Thanks for the summary and new thread title, duckroll.

I'm kinda tempted to brave the snow and get the mag just for shits and giggles. Then again, I wouldn't even know where to get it nearby.

At least, this thread taught me there's an input lag defense force. I can't wait for the day I see the ones for aliasing and low FOVs in action.

It would be pretty crazy that a gaming magazine printed something so detailed and deliberate about the game, that's also completely made up. I can't even fathom the conditions for something like that to happen, on your cover story none the less.

maybe dog secretary is just too excited for the game and filling the blanks by himself when he read the actual info from the magazine? making assumption of what a particular sentence might mean for the actual game etc.

antitrop

At least, this thread taught me there's an input lag defense force. I can't wait for the day I see the ones for aliasing and low FOVs in action.
As far as FOV goes, plenty of people don't like the "fish-eye"ing that occurs at high PC FOVs like 105 or 110.

Personally, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom