• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Your PC Thread2 of Voiding Warranties

scogoth

I'm scared. Should I go to 1.6v?

oNxBHGz.jpg

Sorry for shitty iphone pics but desktop nor drivers would load so couldn't take a screenshot

pje122

Maybe I'll get more of response in this thread:

Just got my new machine with a i7-5820K. I assume I should look into overclocking, but I'm not sure where to start.
What are the main drawbacks from overclocking?
How do I go about doing it? Should I use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I've also read you should only overclock from the BIOS??

thespot84

Maybe I'll get more of response in this thread:

Just got my new machine with a i7-5820K. I assume I should look into overclocking, but I'm not sure where to start.
What are the main drawbacks from overclocking?
How do I go about doing it? Should I use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I've also read you should only overclock from the BIOS??

what board do you have

thespot84

there are no real drawbacks other than a little time to tune it. You can push the chip a great deal without shortening it's life or anything like that.

what board to you have specifically? i assumed x99 otherwise you wouldn't have asked about overclocking (i hope). Most manufacturers include an auto-tune utility, that's the easy option.

are you using the stock cooler?

P8958 - GTX970 1,278/1,753/stock - i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - 8GB @ 1,868MHz - Pantaghana - 212 Evo - Link

Everything is stock. Any point in overclocking the i5? I've never overclocked before so I'd like some advice.
Motherboard is an ASUS z97-k, if that helps.

TI82

Banned
i5 4670k, currently sitting at 4.2 with 1.7v and 1.2 OCv. I can't seem to get it to go any higher (stable).

I have an antec h2o, antec 550W "true power" Gold, and am using gelID thermal paste; and yet it seems to be hitting 88* and throttling if i go above 4.2; anything above 4.5 just BSODs automagically.

Anyone have any clue, or is the 4670k really just that hot?

Edit: Asus Z97Pro mobo too

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i5 4670k, currently sitting at 4.2 with 1.7v and 1.2 OCv. I can't seem to get it to go any higher (stable).

I have an antec h2o, antec 550W "true power" Gold, and am using gelID thermal paste; and yet it seems to be hitting 88* and throttling if i go above 4.2; anything above 4.5 just BSODs automagically.

Anyone have any clue, or is the 4670k really just that hot?

Edit: Asus Z97Pro mobo too
I'd be finding your limits with 1.380V VCore first...

SugarDave

Okay, so I finally decided to overclock my GPU and I'm almost sure I know what I'm doing. I seem to have hit a bit of a snag though, I have the core clock offset at +120MHz putting the card at 1512MHz but after increasing it and running the Heaven benchmark again, the boost clock still caps right there. I have the power limit set to 112, could this be some kind of safeguard built into the GPU?

I'm using the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 with the latest drivers installed and MSI Afterburner to OC.

LilJoka

Okay, so I finally decided to overclock my GPU and I'm almost sure I know what I'm doing. I seem to have hit a bit of a snag though, I have the core clock offset at +120MHz putting the card at 1512MHz but after increasing it and running the Heaven benchmark again, the boost clock still caps right there. I have the power limit set to 112, could this be some kind of safeguard built into the GPU?

I'm using the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 with the latest drivers installed and MSI Afterburner to OC.

Well monitor the power limit and see if you are hitting it.
The cards also drop a bin at ~70c no matter the temp limit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

The 9xx is nothing but safeguards. If it's capping at that it's 'figuring out' that that is what the 'safe' OC is. It can vary between games and benchmarks how high it will go. Raising it sometimes even more can overcome it, but if it's hitting some other limiting factor first it won't go higher. GPU-Z should tell you what is limiting your OC.

Jimrpg

Even though this thread is pretty dead, I guess I'll try in here first.

I used the Haswell Overclocking guide over on Overclock.net on my CPU last night. Anyways I just want to check if my Haswell chip is more or less normal. I'm using a Asus Z97M-Plus motherboard, with a i5-4690k and a Hyper Evo 212 cooler.

I probably should have upped multiplier and voltage slowly, but I read that most people with a Haswell chip could do 4.4ghz on air at 1.25v-1.3v so I just went straight to 1.25v and multiplier to 45.

When I ran Prime 95 temps got really hot 94 deg in about 10 minutes, so I stopped that test. I tried 1 loop of x264 and temps were a lot lower around 75C maximum. Obviously I need to run it a lot more but I didn't have that much time last night. I played some Skyrim (about half an hour) and ran the Witcher 3 (half an hour) and the temps were really low, around 60 deg. There was something weird with Skyrim right at the start of the game, where the horse moved up and down for no particular reason. Is that something to do with the overclock? Everything else was fine though.

Should I bother fine-tuning it? Reducing voltage? up the multiplier again? I'm happy with 4.5ghz with 75 deg temps. Does it matter if it failed Prime 95? and how long should I run the x264 stress test for?

Even though this thread is pretty dead, I guess I'll try in here first.

I used the Haswell Overclocking guide over on Overclock.net on my CPU last night. Anyways I just want to check if my Haswell chip is more or less normal. I'm using a Asus Z97M-Plus motherboard, with a i5-4690k and a Hyper Evo 212 cooler.

I probably should have upped multiplier and voltage slowly, but I read that most people with a Haswell chip could do 4.4ghz on air at 1.25v-1.3v so I just went straight to 1.25v and multiplier to 45.

When I ran Prime 95 temps got really hot 94 deg in about 10 minutes, so I stopped that test. I tried 1 loop of x264 and temps were a lot lower around 75C maximum. Obviously I need to run it a lot more but I didn't have that much time last night. I played some Skyrim (about half an hour) and ran the Witcher 3 (half an hour) and the temps were really low, around 60 deg. There was something weird with Skyrim right at the start of the game, where the horse moved up and down for no particular reason. Is that something to do with the overclock? Everything else was fine though.

Should I bother fine-tuning it? Reducing voltage? up the multiplier again? I'm happy with 4.5ghz with 75 deg temps. Does it matter if it failed Prime 95? and how long should I run the x264 stress test for?

Avoid using prime95, it uses some instruction(s?) that get your CPU much hotter than it would in normal use. I believe certain versions of p95 and/or BIOS updates address this, but it's easier to just use a different tool.

Jimrpg

Ok thanks.

Is there any need for me to reduce my voltage down to get optimal voltage for 4.5ghz? Or should I just leave it at 1.25v?

Ok thanks.

Is there any need for me to reduce my voltage down to get optimal voltage for 4.5ghz? Or should I just leave it at 1.25v?

If you have good temps, not really. I'm more familiar with sandy bridge and skylake but that is not a very high vcore or anything, so I wouldn't be concerned.

What LLC are you running?

Jimrpg

If you have good temps, not really. I'm more familiar with sandy bridge and skylake but that is not a very high vcore or anything, so I wouldn't be concerned.

What LLC are you running?

Ok cool, i wasn't sure whether more voltage than required would be worse for my CPU in the long run. I suppose temps are the main thing then.

I didn't adjust or check the LLC or the Input Voltage cause it seemed to be working ok. I'm away from my computer for a couple of days, but I'll have another look when I get back to it.

If my i5-4690k can work at 4.5ghz 24/7 I'll be very happy with it.

scogoth

Also check Event Viewer for parity check errors. Haswell can a little funny and not crash but fail computations causing weird errors.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Hello! Today I tried to overclock my FX6100 CPU (first time overclocking) after doing some case cleaning and replacing the processor's thermal paste (I'm using the stock cooler) and I didn't have a good experience. Ended up just increasing the multiplier from 16.5 to 19 (now 3.8GHz) and after running the Prime95 stress test (blend) I didn't notice high temperatures (around 50C after 30/45 mins), but anything higher gets me crashed or BSOD and I guess I could go a little bit higher. Any suggestions, general overclocking guides? Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition.
RAM: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2x4GB @ 1600MHz.
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46.
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAR).
Case: Lost the box a while ago, but apparently it's a Codegen Briza, just like this one (without those handles).
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB (WD5000AAKX)

Thanks!

Top Bottom