• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

happy Eid for all of you

lJ67WrY.jpg

Body went through hell and back over the last month. My preexisting issues just decided to go super saiyan on me once the fasting started. Culminated in a visit to the ER. So yeah, kinda happy Eid is here :)

Congrats to all.

mjontrix

Eid Mubarak to everyone including the Australian!

Lot of people going to be waking wondering wtf it's Eid today?

We really should nail down which method to use (I've read the press release from the Grand Mufti but unless my sleep deprivation got me I couldn't tell what method was used, but it had the majority of imams supporting it).

Thanks to all the Muslim brothers and sisters who clearly sacrificed their sleep and got the message out there!

Edit - press release! https://muslimsinaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/afc-gma-2014-2707-056_release.pdf

moon has been spotted so yes.

no announcement in UK yet but moon has been spotted so I will celebrate tomorrow.

really hope no muslims around the world fast tomorrow as there is no need to celebrate Eid on Tuesday.

Given that the moon set about 15 minutes before sunset over here I'm not sure why people in the UK shouldn't be celebrating Eid on Tuesday.

Because Eid should be on Tuesday.

Of course, we will all ignore the facts and just follow whatever some chaps in Mecca are going to do so we can avoid doing an extra day of fasting.

Given that the moon set about 15 minutes before sunset over here I'm not sure why people in the UK shouldn't be celebrating Eid on Tuesday.

Of course, we will all ignore the facts and just follow whatever some chaps in Mecca are going to do so we can avoid doing an extra day of fasting.

some mosque also do the sightings too

well here in Canada they do

some mosque also do the sightings too

well here in Canada they do

I doubt the ones in Birmingham did, because if they did they wouldn't have announced Eid is tomorrow because it is physically impossible for anybody to have sighted the moon today. Unfortunately Muslims in the UK generally lean towards the "Ignore all the facts, let's follow Saudi" school of thought because doing otherwise would require them to think for themselves.

Moon wars have started

Most of these Eid Mubarak posts are not from America I assume? We still don't know if we're going to have Eid tomorrow or Tuesday. Hilal committee is gonna do moon sighting tonight and tell us.

Yasir

Our mosque is the usual not following Saudi moon sighting type; and we're also doing it tomorow. So seems quite unanimous in the Uk atleast.

The majority opinion has been to follow global sighting - where if the moon is sighted in any Muslim country in the world, everyone should follow its sighting.

The reason a lot of places have started following local sighting is due to shoddy reports by Saudi Arabia (and because a minority opinion exists; ironically, this minority opinion of local sighting is promoted by the Saudi scholars!). If I recall correctly, Saudi declared the 2013 Eid ul Fitr incorrectly and even admitted to it. People have been calling out Saudi Arabia on its shoddy moonsighting for the past few decades.

But, the moon has been reliably seen in South Africa, as well as other places.

effzee

Following the calculated ISNA method here. Have been for years now!

Eid is tomorrow for us and Eid Mubarak to anyone also celebrating tomorrow!

The majority opinion has been to follow global sighting - where if the moon is sighted in any Muslim country in the world, everyone should follow its sighting.

The reason a lot of places have started following local sighting is due to shoddy reports by Saudi Arabia (and because a minority opinion exists; ironically, this minority opinion of local sighting is promoted by the Saudi scholars!). If I recall correctly, Saudi declared the 2013 Eid ul Fitr incorrectly and even admitted to it. People have been calling out Saudi Arabia on its shoddy moonsighting for the past few decades.

But, the moon has been reliably seen in South Africa, as well as other places.

We don't read maghrib in England when the sun sets in Safrica, so we should rely on local sighting of the moon for determining when Eid takes place. In a day and age where you can find out these things within 30 seconds of typing it into Google (N.B. other search engines are available) there should be no excuse for Muslims to still get it wrong every year.

eid mubarak from canada. This will be sad eid due to crisis in Palestine.

Spare a thought for them and others in shitty situations who unfortunately will not be able to enjoy Eid the way they should be to. Pray that one day the unfortunate people, no matter big or small will get to.

We don't read maghrib in England when the sun sets in Safrica, so we should rely on local sighting of the moon for determining when Eid takes place. In a day and age where you can find out these things within 30 seconds of typing it into Google (N.B. other search engines are available) there should be no excuse for Muslims to still get it wrong every year.

Moon sighting denotes the start of a month. If the moon is spotted in India but not anywhere else, but if there is no doubt that the moon has been spotted, then global sighting follows that everyone has to follow the sighting report and start the new month the following day. This was the opinion of the majority of scholars for centuries. Only recently has local sighting been brought into practice, especially in Western countries, due to ambiguity and sometimes, outright fabrication in moon sighting reports from certain countries.

Here's some reading material that discusses global moon sighting: http://crescentcommittee.ca/articles-2/

This has nothing to do with salah. After all, most places don't even use empirical information to say when salah time has started but rely on calculations. I'm pretty sure people in the UK don't go outside and measure their shadow lengths to determine that Asr time has come nor do they look at the sky for the disappearing of the redness/whiteness (depends on which opinion you follow) to determine Isha time. Nor do I think people actually see the sun setting before they say that Maghrib time has come.

In fact, the salah analogy is used by those that rely purely on calculations, such as ISNA in North America. ISNA rejects actual sighting in favour of calculations. The analogy, though, is not correct, because the starting of a month, particularly the start of Ramadhan, for example, has been mandated in the Qur'an based on actual sighting.
فَمَنْ شَهِدَ مِنْكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ

This has nothing to do with salah. After all, most places don't even use empirical information to say when salah time has started but rely on calculations. I'm pretty sure people in the UK don't go outside and measure their shadow lengths to determine that Asr time has come nor do they look at the sky for the disappearing of the redness/whiteness (depends on which opinion you follow) to determine Isha time.

Well isn't that the point? The calculations used for knowing what time the sun will set come from the same observatories and organisations that can tell you whether the moon will be visible or not. Men have been put on the moon and rockets have been catapulted around planets into outer space based on these kinds of calculations, you don't need to take the word of some guys halfway across the world because we know, right down to the minute when the sun and the moon will set and whether it will be visible.

Ignoring all of this stuff is utterly baffling.

Moon sighting denotes the start of a month. If the moon is spotted in India but not anywhere else, but if there is no doubt that the moon has been spotted, then global sighting follows that everyone has to follow the sighting report and start the new month the following day. This was the opinion of the majority of scholars for centuries.

And in practice? I'm having a hard time picturing guys in Al-Andalus getting news that the moon was sighted in Kenya or Somalia that same day.

Oh crap, nevermind! Chicago Hilal:
Eid Mubarak! Eid will be on Monday, July 28, 2014. Based on upon authentic moon sighting reports, the committee has declared that Ramadan will end with 29 days and Shawwal 1, 1435 will be Monday, July 28, 2014.

EID MUBARAK!

Time for some musings. It's been a wonderful cleansing experience overall. I already miss Ramadan now and who knows whether we will get to see next year's Ramadan. I have read someone say that the stuff you do in Ramadan is out of your own will, and a true reflection of who you are. For 11 months you are submerged in the earthly materialistic world, and for one month you are by yourself. It's a solemn occasion this year as I am reminded of my brethren in faith suffering in Gaza and Syria (and the rest of the conflict zones), and how they are without their loved ones to share the meal. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Eid mubarak GAF! Prayers in the morning in NYC.

Yeah, its quite the somber Eid this year due to all the suffering in the middle east and in the world in general. I'm usually good about blocking all this stuff out and just dismissing them as "Shit happens" but this year I'm especially affected. I guess I'm just getting older now and I cant claim ignorance anymore. I am thankful for my family and being able to live a middle class life in the USA. Theres a lot I am blessed to have.

I missed a bunch of days this Ramadan so I will make these up. But I feel so much better now being able to spend quality time with my family and removing a lot of my bad habits.

Ashes

Banned
Well isn't that the point? The calculations used for knowing what time the sun will set come from the same observatories and organisations that can tell you whether the moon will be visible or not. Men have been put on the moon and rockets have been catapulted around planets into outer space based on these kinds of calculations, you don't need to take the word of some guys halfway across the world because we know, right down to the minute when the sun and the moon will set and whether it will be visible.

Ignoring all of this stuff is utterly baffling.

And in practice? I'm having a hard time picturing guys in Al-Andalus getting news that the moon was sighted in Kenya or Somalia that same day.

I believe, at least here in London, it is a unification of the ummah thing, following a conference in 2001, where such things were debated & voted upon. In that we use British observatory plus shariah, to determine prayer timetables, and to follow Mecca during the two eids.

I personally think, if pure astronomical data cannot be used, using an agreed standard is much better.

But then again, we know when the astronomical new moon is born, to know this, and at the same time, hold the position that it is not born, and can only be determined via sight, brings about a bit of cognitive dissonance.

What if we were living on the moon, what do we follow? :p

Edit: Eid Mubarak.

Time for some musings. It's been a wonderful cleansing experience overall. I already miss Ramadan now and who knows whether we will get to see next year's Ramadan. I have read someone say that the stuff you do in Ramadan is out of your own will, and a true reflection of who you are. For 11 months you are submerged in the earthly materialistic world, and for one month you are by yourself. It's a solemn occasion this year as I am reminded of my brethren in faith suffering in Gaza and Syria (and the rest of the conflict zones), and how they are without their loved ones to share the meal. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Well said.

Eid Mubarak everyone.

Salih

Eid Moubarak, my dear brothers and sisters! It was such a blessing this month of Ramadan, alhamdulillah. May Allah swt accept and reward our fasting plentifully. Amin.

BabaJii

Neo Member
Eid Mubarak from Glasgow!! One Eid in Glesga #NaeWay :D. I hope everybody enjoys the festivities. May Allah (SWT) alleviate the pain and suffering of all our brothers and sisters, which ever corner of the earth they maybe today! Ameen.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Posting Eid Mubarak to all my Muslim Brothers, hope your fasting month wasn't a doozy!

Now this Infidel will go back nursing his surgically repaired ass =S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom