• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay Review Thread

ElRenoRaven

Awesome reviews. Glad to see this collection getting em. Maybe if this does great it will show that people want games like these from Rare and not Avatar crap and other stuff like that.

Social

My Review for ACG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9z9wY1z_c

If you don't like video

Pros
Most titles are perfectly emulated
Meta-game within the front end
Great titles

Cons
N64 games at times, crash heavy bad fps and so on

I think the Xbox One can handle a bit more than "3 N64's" ;). FYI, it was quite hard to keep listening to that video, the jokes and most other lines feel like they are being read from an autocue or something, sounds quite forced.

Best part of Jim's review...
"I was once in a pub with a man from Rare, after previewing the Viva Pinata DS game for Destructoid. I made a joking reference to Perfect Dark Zero and he looked at me with silent anger for what felt like a full minute. I’ll never forget the look – stern, almost hateful. I wish I could remember who did it, but it was somebody higher up the food chain. Either way, I’ll never forget his eyes, even if I’ve forgotten his name"

Kacho

Got my pre-order loaded up and ready to go. Can't wait for this. What an amazing collection of games. Blast Corps will be the first game I tackle. I hope it holds up well. I really want to play JFG as well but I'm going to wait for the improved controls to get patched in before I bother.

Karak

Great review. I hope the performance issues get patched at some point.

I think they will. I just think that its one of those things where whatever is going on technically inside the n64(custom little programming steps) make it harder.

Awesome reviews. Glad to see this collection getting em. Maybe if this does great it will show that people want games like these from Rare and not Avatar crap and other stuff like that.
In the same way Masterchief showed how to not do it right. This one shows how to do it right.

nynt9

Do they need to be emulating those hardware platforms perfectly if they can ensure a fully-functional game? Perhaps they got the permission if they needed it upon Rare's purchase or they worked with Ninty and other hardware manufacturers to make this happen? I'm not sure I understand what control Ninty has, though, when emulation doesn't need to infringe upon rights to their property. I mean, it's emulation.

I think you might have some fundamental misunderstanding about emulation. When you are emulating a game on a system, you are mimicking the OS/BIOS code that runs on hardware so that the game code can run on your own system as if it was running on the emulated hardware. The "mimicking the OS/BIOS code of the emulated system" part is where legal complexities come into play. That code is proprietary.

It is possible to simulate functionality of the hardware without using proprietary hardware code. But it takes some effort. I'm just curious as to what method they used to make this happen.

Cruxist

Definitely want to pick this up once I get an X1.

Jet Force Gemini and Viva Pinata are two games I always wanted to try out but never had the funds to do so. Plus, The Banjo Games are always fun, even though I did beat them on 360 again...

Very disappointing that they didn't give Conker, JFG and Blast Corps the widescreen treatment. It worked so well for both Banjo games and Perfect Dark. Oh well, still a good value if you don't already own the 360 games. Not for me though since I do own most of the 360 games.

I think you might have some fundamental misunderstanding about emulation. When you are emulating a game on a system, you are mimicking the OS/BIOS code that runs on hardware so that the game code can run on your own system as if it was running on the emulated hardware. The "mimicking the OS/BIOS code of the emulated system" part is where legal complexities come into play. That code is proprietary.

It is possible to simulate functionality of the hardware without using proprietary hardware code. But it takes some effort. I'm just curious as to what method they used to make this happen.

So, how is it that MS is doing what they're doing if the package they're selling is largely made up of emulations of non-MS hardware? I mean, to the end user, all the game has to do is function in a manner that seems accurate even if, under the hood, it's not at all close in many ways. I'm still unclear as to why this is some kind of problem with this release when MS isn't about to open themselves up to legal trouble over a $30 emulation package. It's not the first time someone has released emulations of games originally released on Ninty hardware for sale on non-Ninty platforms.

U2NUMB

So I am assuming that the games that run via BC .. if you played them before on the 360 it will pull whatever achievements over that you had earned? Or do we get to start over with them all?

Because then the 10k achievement selling point is sorta bunk for any of us that have played it before. Not a big deal just something that popped into my mind.

Glad it is reviewing well.. have mine reserved at Best Buy for cheap!!

nynt9

So, how is it that MS is doing what they're doing if the package they're selling is largely made up of emulations of non-MS hardware? I mean, to the end user, all the game has to do is function in a manner that seems accurate even if, under the hood, it's not at all close in many ways. I'm still unclear as to why this is some kind of problem with this release when MS isn't about to open themselves up to legal trouble over a $30 emulation package. It's not the first time someone has released emulations of games originally released on Ninty hardware for sale on non-Ninty platforms.

Which is why I'm saying they must have a solution, and I'm wondering what it is. Again, the most likely solution is replacing the system calls with their own versions of those, but that is hard to debug and I wonder if they'd really put that much effort into a 30-game package. Clearly they're doing something.

Either that, or they're just packaging in some emulator code and hoping no one notices, but I don't think they're that callous

So I am assuming that the games that run via BC .. if you played them before on the 360 it will pull whatever achievements over that you had earned? Or do we get to start over with them all?

Because then the 10k achievement selling point is sorta bunk for any of us that have played it before. Not a big deal just something that popped into my mind.

I checked the achievement list and yeah I think the XBLA/XB360 games share the same achievements. The only new stuff is stuff never on XBL: http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/rare-replay/achievements/

Luckily I don't use the same account from when I had a 360 so I can re-earn them.

I believe achievements are universal among the 360 games you've played before. So, if you've already unlocked everything in Nuts & Bolts, you won't be able to unlock them again.

Torment

Banned
Sounds like it plays just as I hoped, can't wait to pick this one up, never got to play Kameo or Nuts and Bolts, excited about both of those. Can't wait to replay Conker, PD, and BK on my XB1.

Very disappointing that they didn't give Conker, JFG and Blast Corps the widescreen treatment.

JFG has a widescreen option in the collection, since it was a feature on the original N64 version.

CI608fXWoAAnEBa.jpg:orig

U2NUMB

I believe achievements are universal among the 360 games you've played before. So, if you've already unlocked everything in Nuts & Bolts, you won't be able to unlock them again.

That is what I assumed looking at the list. Sorta kinda BS when they talk about 10k score but thats fine... still excited as hell!

PooBone

Nice. Can't wait to get my Snake Rattle n Roll on! This compilation is probably going to dominate my August playing time.

SO MANY ACHIEVEMENTS!

KAOS

Was really looking forward to BlastCorps hopefully they're able to patch it and the N64 games that have problems. Still looking forward to playing tonight feels like Christmas in August!

Game is cheap at amazon $25.99 for prime members-price change in checkout- about 27.99 after tax

under $26 for Best Buy GCU members including tax

Gartooth

I assume the N64 emulation issues are for Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, and Jet Force Gemini. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Perfect Dark are running the XBLA versions.

Karak

I assume the N64 emulation issues are for Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, and Jet Force Gemini. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Perfect Dark are running the XBLA versions.

I had no issues with some of those the Banjo games were ok. But Blast Corps crashed a dozen times at least. The others never ever crashed. They did have some FPS but all were totally playable...except BC.

Bought it digitally just now. Was waiting to see how the performance of some of the N64 games would impact review scores, and they seem fine enough. Plus, in for those 10k or whatever achievements.

Literally the only games I've played extensively from this bundle are Conker's Bad Fur Day and the first Viva Pinata.

I don't know what I did as a child that caused my Rare game library to be made up Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64, but I've actually never played a Banjo game before.

Gartooth

I had no issues with some of those the Banjo games were ok. But Blast Corps crashed a dozen times at least. The others never ever crashed. They did have some FPS but all were totally playable...except BC.

That's good to hear at least. So every game is playable except BC?

Also did JFG have control issues? I believe I heard it mentioned in the announcement thread.

Top Bottom