• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay Review Thread

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
No other games company has a 007 contract right now, so if Rare/Microsoft really wanted to, they could probably have made that work. But when you've got Perfect Dark in there it's of an easy fish to let go.

From my understanding it's a lot more complicated than just the 007 license. There's things like using the Pierce Brosnan character that has some weird contract around it too, as well as other issues. Seems too complicated for what it's worth.

Shiggy

From my understanding Nintendo had owned a share of Rare, not their IP(Though in a way you can say they partially did in a way). They sold their share back to Rare and then Rare sold their entire company to Microsoft.

Rare retained the licenses for their original IP and Nintendo retained the licenses for the IP that included their mascots.

Unless Im missing something.

Based on the information we have, Nintendo held the IP rights to various Rare games.

Banjo-Kazooie was owned by Nintendo (named registrant) for example:
https://trademarks.justia.com/752/97/banjo-kazooie-75297133.html

Jet Force Gemini was owned, registered, and published by Rare Ltd. from the beginning.

Kriken

So the N64 games have emulation issues? I knew N64 emulation was crap a while ago, but I thought it got a lot better

Still excited to pick this up tomorrow

Oemenia

Banned
Quick question, how is Grabbed by the Ghoulies included in the game since it's an OG XBOX game? Is it an emulation or a port?

Also do any of the N64 games run in widescreen?

Didn't realize this was out tomorrow so that's cool. I wonder if they fixed the issues that plagued Jet Force Gemini. Also is Perfect Dark the XBLA remake or the N64 version?

Zemm

That's a real shame about the N64 games performance, the package is obviously top notch but it could have almost been perfect with solid 30fps on those ones.

I was curious why they didn't include both versions of Conker on the disc. Guess maybe the MP stuff would be hard to code out?

Ridley327

Thanks, but that is disappointing, I want the Xbox version. N64 version looks too dated graphically.

I imagine if enough noise is made that it will end up on a future collection. That being said, I'm glad they did the N64 version first, since the Xbox remake was substantially more censored, even in the "uncensored" mode.

Vire

The N64 games having poor frame rates is pretty inexcusable actually. How do these games not run at a capped 60 FPS? Surprised at the reviews.

The only reason I would want this is for a good version of Jet Force Gemini, that didn't happen.

The N64 games having poor frame rates is pretty inexcusable actually. How do these games not run at a capped 60 FPS? Surprised at the reviews.

The only reason I would want this is for a good version of Jet Force Gemini, that didn't happen.
I can excuse it here, Majora's Mask 3D dipping to 15 FPS I felt a bit insulted by that.

Conezays

I can excuse it here, Majora's Mask 3D dipping to 15 FPS I felt a bit insulted by that.

Yeah, there were definitely some *bad* frame drops in MM3D; still loved it though.

I have this pre-loaded, but disappointed to hear about the frame rate stuff on the N64 games. Hopefully it isn't too egregious.

I imagine if enough noise is made that it will end up on a future collection. That being said, I'm glad they did the N64 version first, since the Xbox remake was substantially more censored, even in the "uncensored" mode.

I know about the censoring, I prefer Conker: Live & Reloaded because of the high production values, and they could have released Reloaded without the censoring in Rare replay.

It would have been very easy for them to uncensor it.

And there was no "uncensored" mode. That was an extra feature to turn off the profanity bleeps in the online multiplayer, not the single-player.

I know about the censoring, I prefer Conker: Live & Reloaded because of the high production values, and they could have released Reloaded without the censoring in Rare replay.
Yeah, this. It's very disappointing this collection doesn't include it.

They haven't mentioned the possibility of DLC adding in any other games in the future, have they?

Balb

Thanks, but that is disappointing, I want the Xbox version. N64 version looks too dated graphically.

I was actually playing Conker on N64 yesterday. I think the graphics still look really nice. The controls weren't as responsive as I'd like though. Hope that issue was addressed in this collection at least.

Ridley327

Yeah, this. It's very disappointing this collection doesn't include it.

They haven't mentioned the possibility of DLC adding in any other games in the future, have they?

I want to say that there have been hints about them adding games via DLC, but nothing specific in terms of what might be offered.

-MD-

I was actually playing Conker on N64 yesterday. I think the graphics still look really nice. The controls weren't as responsive as I'd like though. Hope that issue was addressed in this collection at least.

I agree, I played through Conker a month or two ago and thought it looked great.

And the game is just naturally floaty, I don't think even an improved frame rate would fix that. You get used to it really quick though.

Xbudz

Conker LIVE and Reloaded is the glaring omission of this collection.
I'd really like them to add it later or have it be some super secret unlockable 31st game.

The Sega Genesis collection had unlockable games- this could have benefited from that.

That is, if they still have all the original audio data...
Uhh... They managed to get the original voice actor back in for the Project Spark game. I doubt it would have been difficult to re-record a couple lines.

This channel has all the N64 games in the collection if you want to judge quality: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApHvBKENHNgOjts_1LbGdg
Doesn't seem that bad of hiccups IMO.

Also seems JFG also supports widescreen but cutscenes are rendered in 4:3.
Holy crap, I had no idea some of the older games had widescreen support.

That's amazing.

Pandy

You think Nintendo might pop up there? :D

If they've properly licensed the BIOSs to run straight-forward emulation, then yes.

If they've gone to the trouble to create their own workaround systems, then there should be a bunch of credits for the programmers who worked on each system.

TedHub

Banned
If they've properly licensed the BIOSs to run straight-forward emulation, then yes.

If they've gone to the trouble to create their own workaround systems, then there should be a bunch of credits for the programmers who worked on each system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NES and the N64 didn't really have BIOS. They just got all the instructions they needed from the cartridge, no internal configuration needed.

jbug617

Banned
Good reviews all round, still need to add a few to the OP but glad its turned out well

Polygon gave it a 8
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/3/908...-dark-battletoads-killer-instinct-blast-corps

Performance concerns aside, Rare Replay demonstrates how a single developer has carried certain elements across a whole span of genres and platforms. There's a sense of ambition to Rare's catalog, of joy and whimsy, a brightness that comes through even in the more self-serious games. Rare Replay paints a picture of a studio always excited and eager to try something new, even if that new thing turned out imperfect. Whatever Rare's future, there's a history here that's worth remembering and celebrating.

dLMN8R

Hrm, I wonder if the performance of the 360 games will improve as the back-compat emulation improves overall.

Top Bottom