• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank (PS4) New Previews

Timu

Broken images
Really? I see them fine. How about this?
JqzGM0.png

INgj5y.png

9msldA.png

Timu

According to the Beyond3D forums, these are the resolutions for the Ratchet PS3 games:

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)

So yeah, a direct feed shot of those games is not going to hold up very well.
I kinda wish they were in 720p and had MLAA at least to look better.

Raylan

Banned
Just pre-ordered this. Never pre-order games, but if insomniac need my help its the least I could do. Was without a doubt gonna buy it anyways.

*HighFive*

I already told all my friends to preorder this game.... and they did ;)
I want to tell Insomniac/Sony: We want more of these games!

Cornbread78

Yeah, this is hard to resist! This really looks like they put a ton of work into. I'm really surprised it's only 39.99.

Damn you Insomniac can you please make another Resistance that looks like this, but with the MP action of RFOM and R2..

Tambini

Yeah, this is hard to resist! This really looks like they put a ton of work into. I'm really surprised it's only 39.99.

Damn you Insomniac can you please make another Resistance that looks like this, but with the MP action of RFOM and R2..

I think a new Resistance by Insomniac would be one of the best looking games out there, there was a good looking game in R3 hidden under the shitty image quality. I hope they revisit the series

Ashtar

So I was watching polygon's 80 minute video.... you beautiful bastards did it! You gave me the option to switch between 4 weapons without pausing combat..... I'm legit tearing up because im so happy! I feel like I should put my preorder in today... shoot I might buy a copy for my nephews since it's just that damn good!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So I was watching polygon's 80 minute video.... you beautiful bastards did it! You gave me the option to switch between 4 weapons without pausing combat..... I'm legit tearing up because im so happy! I feel like I should put my preorder in today... shoot I might buy a copy for my nephews since it's just that damn good!

Yeah. That was totally something we added late in the polish phase. Great for hardcore players / speed runners etc

eshwaaz

This looks just fantastic. I've enjoyed this franchise over the years, but I'm certainly not what you'd call a fanatic. I'm surprised by just how excited I am for this - I've watched the latest batch of videos multiple times, and love what I've seeing. Seems like the perfect counter to all of the games going for visual realism and gritty settings these days. I can enjoy those too, but quality games with R & C's tone and look are a rarity.

Can't wait!

Radnom

I just went through my order receipt emails and realised that I accidentally preordered this game twice! Oops... Only a small amount of regret :p I'm sure I'll be able to sell the extra copy to a friend.

Burbeting

Banned
I was watching the 80-minute Polygon preview, and noticed that during it, when Ratcher got a gold bolt, the counter said "2/28", so I assume it means the game has 28 of them. This is fine on itself, but I remember that older Ratchet games (I think even the first one too? Correct me if I'm wrong) had 40, excluding the shorter games. It made feel bit concerned that some of the older levels were cut/or that game will be a bit shorter length than expected after all, but it's most likely just cutting some of the gold bolts themselves.

Trace

Banned
I was watching the 80-minute Polygon preview, and noticed that during it, when Ratcher got a gold bolt, the counter said "2/28", so I assume it means the game has 28 of them. This is fine on itself, but I remember that older Ratchet games (I think even the first one too? Correct me if I'm wrong) had 40, excluding the shorter games. It made feel bit concerned that some of the older levels were cut/or that game will be a bit shorter length than expected after all, but it's most likely just cutting some of the gold bolts themselves.

Really they can put as many or as few as they want. Some levels in R&C had 1, some had 4. Not really an indication of how long it is.

Burbeting

Banned
Really they can put as many or as few as they want. Some levels in R&C had 1, some had 4. Not really an indication of how long it is.

Still, the original R&C did have 40, so it feels odd that 12 would have been cut. I do assume that some planets must have been cut from the original game (and possibly something new added), so I'm curious how much cutting has been done.

//edit
Some levels did get cut, but they're also some new ones too.

Okay, that seems reasonable. I just hope Gemlik Base stays in, I'll be pretty disappointed if it has been cut (mostly because of nostalgia-reasons).

Gemlik Base being cut would be terrible.... But I've sorta accepted that it might actually happen. Such a good level.

I would have loved to see reimagined Oltanis too, but yeah I'm not expecting that one really at all lol.

Burbeting

Banned
I'd assume Insomniac might have added some sort of arena-level, as those are a series staple, since going commando. For cut levels, I'd guess Eudora and Kalebo III would be most logical cuts from the back of my mind, since they had pretty small impact on the plot. Maybe Drek's Fleet, the info from there could be easily migrated to some earlier planets without much fuss.

I was also suggesting Gaspar, but then I remembered that Insomniac actually showed footage from there.

It will be disappointing if gemlik base/oltanis are cut. They both felt like a quite well designed tone change between act 2/act 3, which helped the story flow better towards the end.

Trace

Banned
I'd assume Insomniac might have added some sort of arena-level, as those are a series staple, since going commando. For cut levels, I'd guess Eudora and Kalebo III would be most logical cuts from the back of my mind, since they had pretty small impact on the plot. Maybe Drek's Fleet, the info from there could be easily migrated to some earlier planets without much fuss.

I was also suggesting Gaspar, but then I remembered that Insomniac actually showed footage from there.

It will be disappointing if gemlik base/oltanis are cut. They both felt like a quite well designed tone change between act 2/act 3, which helped the story flow better towards the end.

Eudora definitely deserves the cut, I'd be sad if Kalebo was gone though, it was a cool level.

Burbeting

Banned
Oltanis also has the interesting effect of making the game harder by taking out the helping tool (in this case Heli-Pack/Thruster-Pack), so that you realise how much you have relied on those during the game itself. It makes the already quite difficult level (back when you most likely had just 5 nanotech) even more challenging. Another level, that I want there to be in because of difficulty reasons is Orxon.

But yeah, I won't be surprised if Eudora is not there.

I don't think Eudora will be there. The Umbris boss fight was moved to the Blarg Station, so I think Umbris will be cut. We've already seen Kalebo III, so that's in. Hoven and Batallia have been seemingly combined. Drek's fleet will probably be replaced with the Deplanetizer station or something.

Oh yeah, I really hope they brought back the hologuise.

Illucio

Banned
Is it bad that I only want to see the film franchise and remake take off solely to see a third movie with a high quality Courtney Gears with a full version of her hit song "Death To Squishies"

Burbeting

Banned
Umbris being cut doesn't make sense to me, (Original PS2 game spoilers)
unless they are going to heavily modify the story, and cut the Qwark-plotline completely. That would most likely cut Gemlik base as well. That would be sad, since the Qwark-plotline is the main driving force of the whole 2nd act.
The footage shown of the boss does seem like it didn't fit the planet.

Ploid 3.0

I don't know why, but seeing the new videos of R&C makes me wonder how a R&C ARPG would be, the ARPG in a Diablo 2 view style. I didn't play all for 1, but now that I think about it, maybe it was the R&C ARPG. I love the RPG elements in R&C, I want to build a super Clank bot that goes ant man on fools.

Umbris being cut doesn't make sense to me, (Original PS2 game spoilers)
unless they are going to heavily modify the story, and cut the Qwark-plotline completely. That would most likely cut Gemlik base as well. That would be sad, since the Qwark-plotline is the main driving force of the whole 2nd act.
The footage shown of the boss does seem like it didn't fit the planet.

The Snagglebeast fight being on the Blarg Station implies some changes there.

Lucreto

Just watched the Polygon video and I laughed at all the Insomniac's game references. Fall of Blarg lol.

Also glad to see Juanita and Dallas make an appearance.

Ashtar

Yeah. That was totally something we added late in the polish phase. Great for hardcore players / speed runners etc
I'm so thankful one thing that peeved me was when I wanted to do new combos I had to pause the game and slow down the action so I'm really happy it's in there thanks again!!!

Top Bottom