• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate My Friend's Looks (Politely)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duplolas

Banned
I don't think you understand what a random sample is.

"In statistics, a simple random sample is a subset of individuals (a sample) chosen from a larger set (a population). Each individual is chosen randomly and entirely by chance, such that each individual has the same probability of being chosen at any stage during the sampling process."

This was by definition a random sample.

Movement

Okay okay.

It was a random sample of people on Neogaf. Lol.

Actually, it still wasn't. It was a sample of people on Neogaf, at this time, who decided to post a comment. All of those variables are going to influence answers. This is nothing more than a quasi-sexist and strange attempt at some type of flattery.

I can tell you're pretty young. Save this thread and look at it again in 5 years and you'll cringe a hole in your head.

Duplolas

Banned
Get rid of the goatee, Shaggy. You can't pull it off.

I did already lol.

Actually, it still wasn't. It was a sample of people on Neogaf, at this time, who decided to post a comment. All of those variables are going to influence answers. This is nothing more than a quasi-sexist and strange attempt at some type of flattery.

But aren't all those variables in fact random? Also, none of the variables influence their opinion of my friend.

Are you done trying to be a white knight?

jb1234

Most of my amusement is from the thread still being open, given that he removed the picture early on for completely arbitrary reasons.

Afa

qGK0qH9.jpg

Duplolas

Banned
Self selection is not a random sample.

I didn't select anyone though. I selected the website to ask the question on.

It's the equivalent of conducting a state wide poll in one state instead of another for no particular reason.

As long as you identify that the poll was only taken by those people in that state, it should still be considered a random sample.

7, 7.5, 8.5, 3

Damn man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom