• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

Some people may be salty or get angry at him (seriously people, if you are really that angry because of this, you need to reconsider things in life), but as a designer it was simply amazing the level of detail put into the fake wathing the making off video.
Mad props to him.
PD For people asking way, you can get jobs very easy doing this type of stunts or something that catches the media and its really well done.

Going to watch how he did the Rayman render video now, really interested on that.

seat

This guy is quite talented. The video showing all the details he worked on is very cool. People have to lighten up and stop being so gullible. Any leak shot "off-screen" needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Neoxon

No it doesn't. No need to invent a new moveset.
I meant as far as modeling & animating. They may have a reference point with Brawl, but they can't just port the work from that game. If anything, the devs would have an easier time finishing up characters they could wrap up in time (a few of which we know of thanks to Spainkiller), assuming they weren't scrapped for some reason or another (like the Ice Climbers or Ridley).

Still gotta believe. IMHO, I think the explanation video was a hoax in and of itself. He's playing the long con! The greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing the world Rayman didn't exist.

Says he is going to do more "renders" of other chaarcters in smash stile in his youtube channel.
Going to follow now for sure.
You see how it works? I didnt even knew this guy existed yesterday, and now Im a fan of his work thanks to this and im going to follow his channel, and im sure im not the only one doing this.
And neither are design companies, im sure he is going to get some contacts thanks to this getting so big.
Read some comments about being sad for the guy for "losing" time to troll people... Really guys? The onyl one that have lost something with this, is people angry at him.

lolpho

Oh.... oh my. How deep does this go?!

LzLBxku.jpg

Mory Dunz

Now I'm thinking about how great a pick Rayman was for this fake. There's enough evidence that it isn't an implausible choice, but it's still enough of a curveball to generate discussion. And it isn't an obvious fanboy wish like Ridley. How many other characters are there that could fit all of those criteria?

Sora, duh.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Says he is going to do more "renders" of other chaarcters in smash stile in his youtube channel.
Going to follow now for sure.
You see how it works? I didnt even knew this guy existed yesterday, and now Im a fan of his work thanks to this and im going to follow his channel, and im sure im not the only one doing this.
And neither are design companies, im sure he is going to get some contacts thanks to this getting so big.
Read some comments about being sad for the guy for "losing" time to troll people... Really guys? The onyl one that have lost something with this, is people angry at him.

I would love to see his take on Smash Takamaru and Isaac then I would be pleased tho.

L Thammy

I meant as far as modeling & animating. They may have a reference point with Brawl, but they can't just port the work from that game.

Wait, why can't they import animations? Can't they just create new models that use the old bones? I would think that's how clone characters work.

Neoxon

Wait, why can't they import animations? Can't they just create new models that use the old bones? I would think that's how clone characters work.
The 3 last-minute clones were originally alternate costumes for the characters they were clones of. It only worked because the base within Smash 4's engine were already made.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Watched the video of the faking process, as a video editor I give him serious praise, that was really, really detailed and takes a long time to do

L Thammy

The 3 last-minute clones were originally alternate costumes for the characters they were clones of. It only worked because the base within Smash 4's engine were already made.

I know that, but I also don't think every Smash Bros has an engine made entirely from scratch that would be incompatible with assets from older games. Considering how most moves from returning characters have the same animations, it would be an incredible waste of time and money recreating them.

But I'm not an expert or anything. I vaguely recall that people have imported animations from other games into Brawl because it uses some standard format for its bones and animations, but I'm not sure.

Tokieda

I wish it was true though, I really like Rayman. And unlike most non-Nintendo characters, he would fit well in Smash I think.

Neoxon

I know that, but I also don't think every Smash Bros has an engine made entirely from scratch that would be incompatible with assets from older games. Considering how most moves from returning characters have the same animations, it would be an incredible waste of time and money recreating them.

But I'm not an expert or anything. I vaguely recall that people have imported animations from other games into Brawl because it uses some standard format for its bones and animations, but I'm not sure.
Sakurai mentioned numerous times that he had to recreate each veteran from scratch as if they were newcomers. He didn't have to plan their moveset like the actual newcomers, but as far as animating goes the veterans received the same effort. The reason is that they wanted an HD engine from the ground-up, & Brawl's models & animations were dated due to the hardware it was on. At the very least, Brawl was able to get some Melee assets & animations ported over.

seat

I don't see anything wrong with his design.

I agree. Rayman's no-limbs look is iconic, unique, and fun. And it's not just a response to what's trendy at the moment. Same can't be said for the crap-ringer Sega has put Sonic through over the years.

AdanVC

God damn so it was fake all this time??? :( I watched the making of and HOLY SHIT this is like if Sakurai itself had created the whole leak footage. The level of detail this guy put on everything since the flame animation behind the character selection screen until the Rayman art that he did from scratch... Dat talent... DAT TALENT I cantttttt

Richie

Holy hell, this was a fun ride. Now to see Ubisoft's Tuesday statement.

You know, the biggest mystery here is...
...where does that wonderful remix of Melee's trophy theme in the "leaker"'s video come from?!

faridmon

Wow that was some amazing skills put into the editing. That guys is talented.
I am not even mad, if I am to be mad fool of, I rather be done by an impressive technique.

TheOGB

Banned
Ubisoft's statement will be that they had this guy fake the real announcement of Rayman DLC

But no I'm disappointed and mildly annoyed about this, if only because I could think of so many better ways to spend my time and effort if I had this guy's talent.

Hm... suddenly I can taste a bit of salt.
I just ate pretzels

Holy hell, this was a fun ride. Now to see Ubisoft's Tuesday statement.
I'd be more anticipatory of the investor meeting. You're more likely to hear about Smash DLC plans there than in some random Ubisoft blurb that'll amount to nothing.

As for Omni... Man. I only wish I had that skill in Adobe Creative Suite.

logged in again just to say if he wasn't going to fake lanky kong, what was the fucking point

Dude is seriously talented and I hold no ill will towards him for using this as an opportunity to show off his editing skills.

Ozium

the people mad at this guy are really just mad at themselves imo. if he really wanted to screw with people he wouldn't have made a video showcasing it was a fake literally soon after the "leak" went viral. People are acting like he strung everyone along for days, when that is simply not true.

edit: wait now people are implying that this video is Ubisoft COINTELPRO? lol come on ppl

Toxi

Banned
FACT
pulled straight from my ass but most likely true
:

If you were to show a picture of Mario, Sonic or Pac-Man to a random person on the street, 90% of them would at least know two, 70% all three..

If you were to show them a picture of Rayman most would have know idea.. 10% would guess he's either the next World Cup mascot or the next Olympics mascot.

Believe it!

edit: Ubi rep should be an Undead Beefeater from ZombiU
To be fair, most of them wouldn't know who Mega Man is.

Bwa hahahaha oh man. Welp, guess I'll have to take down the mirror I uploaded, then! Sorry guys. :/

I almost believed it, too. We just needed Nintendo to take down the vids...

RomanceDawn

I don't particularly like the idea of Rayman in Smash, even his trophies. Mostly since I don't think he's that big of star compared to the other 3rd parties. I will say though if he got in then I would certainly be happy for his fans.

I was fairly neutral from the get go but I was really leaning toward real. Especially with Rayman trophies already in Smash the possibility still seems there.

Now with that said the first limbless hero that gets in Smash better be Sukapon! If Sakurai continues then I suspect he will be our next retro WTF especially with almost zero content in him from this game. Melee had a trophy and Brawl had a sticker. I bet Sakurai is purposely keeping him as obscure as possible. If the mostly Western Duck Hunt Dog and Duck can get in I think the mostly Japanese Sukapon can make it next.

Top Bottom