• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I kinda said that in a post of mine as well. The Gaffers probably took their time (finding all the collectibles etc.) vs the youtuber. However, at least the youtube video gives you an idea of how long it vs people on GAF just throwing around numbers without evidence. Looking at various evidences from across the net, I think I will spend around 8 hours on this one, which isn't bad at all, but the lack of a new game+ is disappointing.

why would there be a new game+? There is nothing to unlock. What are you going to do with a new game +? There is chapter select.

entremet

This is what Im hoping for. And I really hope RAD gets a chance to make it happen. Theyre very talented devs, evidenced by the engine theyve built for the game, and I absolutely want to see them expand on what they have. For a 1st new-IP AAA console game on a new engine, The Order looks like a good first step.

Yeah. The heavy lifting of building the engine is done. They can focus on refinements and other things for the next game, assuming the game is well received commercially, but Sony tends to have a more long term view and I'm sure the game will sell decently.

I have a feeling it will be in the used bin soon, though. Same thing happened with Wolfenstein.

What risk does this game take?

Risking to be a linear single player only game in an industry filled with open world, collectathon, and pointless side quest missions. Not that those are inherently bad. There is room for both.

Tell me what is a recent example of a game that takes "risks"?

Using more than one button in a QTE.

LOL

I have a feeling it will be in the used bin soon, though. Same thing happened with Wolfenstein.

And undeservedly so. Im playing through it right now and its honestly one of the best FPS ive played in a good while. I wish I would have picked it up earlier to support what Machine Games managed to do.

I don't care. The way I play, I know it'll last longer (I like to read everything and look at everything). I also replay games I enjoy so if it's good I'll be playing it again for sure.

cripterion

You could also finish Far Cry 4 in 15mins if you wanted to. ;)

Hehe, but it has co-op and multiplayer :D

I personally decided I wouldn't get the game cause there's no co-op.
Yakuza 0's coming out soon so that's where I'll spend my money knowing full well it will provide a better experience and I'll get my money's worth.

Some people feel there's not enough value to warrant a full price purchase I don't see how that is shitting on a PS4 exclusive or hating the game.
For the record I regretted buying Ryse and Infamous : Second Son full price too. Just gotta be smarter with my purchases.

b0bbyJ03

What risk does this game take?

Are you serious? you think that a small studio making a new IP with no previous following on a single platform where they have to build their own engine and finance everything for 4 years with no return, with such high production values for a genre that isn't exactly "hot" right now is not a risk for them. this isn't an open world game or an FPS, it doesn't have multiplayer, basically it doesn't "tick all the boxes" if you know what I'm saying.

Stormus

I like how people saying, "there's nothing wrong with a game of 5 hours"

Well, when it's single-player only and charging $60, there absolutely is.

Sure, quality over quantity but 5 hours for a strictly SP experience is ridiculous. Stop justifying it.

Note: I'm not saying The Order is only 5 hours, however these rumors are concerning.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You know, I hesitate to make a comparison to movies considering a cinema ticket costs the same regardless of whether it is a huge hollywood blockbuster or an indie movie that was kickstarted...

But, wouldn't you feel cheated if you went to see some hyped up blockbuster, paid your usual ticket price and it was all over in an hour?

Not necessarily. If In the pale moonlight (DS9 episode) was a Star Trek movie instead of any other Star Trek movie, it'd be my favourite one and I'd not be mad I paid full price for the ticket. If the story is great in a movie I'm fine with a wide variety of length, similarly, I have played games that do not take long to complete but still are fantastic (classic Sonics, NiGHTS into Dreams for instance) and I'm fine with paying full price for those. However, such a game really needs to have outstanding gameplay and great replayability.

codhand

Sorry for the question but there are a lot of The Order threads around with news all over them:

- does it feature a New Game+ mode?
- can the Platinum be obtained in one playthrough only?

Well, there's no new game + as there's no systems in the game that would lend to it (no upgrades, stats, resource collection). There's at least 3 difficulty modes, with Hard being recommended by RAD and those who've played.

why would there be a new game+? There is nothing to unlock. What are you going to do with a new game +? There is chapter select.

Added monsters, different monster configuration, different collectables, different playable characters/ costumes/ weapons etc. There's always a smart way to do New Game+ it is not a exclusive to jRPGs IMO.

Personally I wish every game featured NG+ mode. Even open world titles. I begun to love NG+ back with Demon's Souls.

Sure, quality over quantity but 5 hours for a strictly SP experience is ridiculous. Stop justifying it.

Note: I'm not saying The Order is only 5 hours, however these rumors are concerning.

People don't have a problem with something I have a problem with. Oh, no! ;_;

Well, I kinda said that in a post of mine as well. The Gaffers probably took their time (finding all the collectibles etc.) vs the youtuber. However, at least the youtube video gives you an idea of how long it vs people on GAF just throwing around numbers without evidence. Looking at various evidences from across the net, I think I will spend around 8 hours on this one, which isn't bad at all, but the lack of a new game+ is disappointing.
Wtf? People here ask for an impressions thread, Rapier gives them one, and he, myself, and a couple of others give our impressions, but now none of that matters because of one YouTube video that conveniently fits certain peoples agendas? So whe're all lying, is that what you're saying?
Lol, I'm done.

It seems to me that through the history of this forum we always have a lot of concerned posts over total playtime concerning every game that comes out. For all the deep concerns though have we ever actually had a game come out that was deemed a terrible value based on length? I can't think of one game I have played and thought - WTF! Thats it!! Only BLANK hours!!!

Sorry for the repost I put this in the wrong thread.

R&R

Well seeing as there are at least some unlockable costumes that can only be used on additional playthroughs I just thought there might be some others too. Like maybe getting to use all the unlocked guns from the beginning and so on...

Ishan

Meh . That's your opinion . I don't mind paying full price for a great experience even if it's 5 hours . I get my most time value out of cs and dota which are 10 dollars and free respectively . If I start treating games as how much bang for the buck playtime wise I get everything will be shit tier apart from those 2

Hanmik

nWeOwtP.gif

entremet

It seems to me that through the history of this forum we always have a lot of concerned posts over total playtime concerning every game that comes out. For all the deep concerns though have we ever actually had a game come out that was deemed a terrible value based on length? I can't think of one game I have played and thought - WTF! Thats it!! Only BLANK hours!!!

Yep. I wonder how many people even care for the game or are just trolling. This time obsession is one of the worse things to happen to gaming. We get fetch quest filler because of it.

Look at this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711763

Dawg

Hehe, but it has co-op and multiplayer :D

I find this argument silly for some games. Does anyone actually play Far Cry 4 multiplayer that much? I guess the co-op is cool but unlike The Order 1886, Far Cry 4 is an established IP and its developers have more experience with AAA at this point.

Is the Tomb Raider reboot better because it has multiplayer?

Is Dead Space 2 better because it has multiplayer?

There are exceptions to this rule, of course. The Last of Us multiplayer was actually cool. And I like to play Uncharted multiplayer as well. But that's simply because Naughty Dog isn't your average developer and knows how to create a multiplayer that doesn't feel forced.

Beefy

It's almost if other people have different opinions then you. My opinion is if a 5-8 hr game (depending if you take your time etc) is good then it is worth the £35 I am paying for it. If it turns out linear and the unskippable cutscenes boring then there is a problem.

QaaQer

With the way the game has been billed, this has been a long time coming. People are usually quite hostile when it comes to video games being "cinematic experiences." I don't know what proof is out there, but hearing about people watching 5.5 hour gameplay videos from start to finish, has me thinking that the game is in line with most people's expectations of it. There's a hostile reaction, but I personally think it's a good thing. I don't want full-priced glorified movies taking over the AAA gaming space. I don't want devs thinking that the market is alright with this line of thinking. But, hey, that's just how I see things.

There's a right way and a wrong way to make and market this kind of game, and from everything I'm seeing and hearing of it, this is the wrong way. It doesn't help that they're doing interviews filled with words that amount to absolutely nothing.

Do we have an initialism like sjw for those fighting to keep gaming pure?

codhand

Crysis 3 comes to mind, and that had MP

Truant

That thought process doesn't make games better, it just leads to AAA bloat.

"People will complain it's too short so lets toss out a crafted environment. Just put everyone in an open world with a checklist of tons of boring shit to do for items and achievements."

That makes no sense. There are more ways to make a game more replayable or offer more content. Don't be silly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All I know is, come Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm going to have a whole lot of used copies of The Order 1886 in my store. And a bunch of pissed off customers who felt ripped off by the game's length if they beat it between 5-8 hours. I see it every single time when a game of this sort is released. It doesn't matter if they got a platinum. It doesn't matter what difficulty they played it on. All that matters is that these customers beat it in one sitting. To a lot of casuals, that is now simply unacceptable for $60.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't agree that being short is inherently a bad thing. I think that's just why I have such a disconnect in these threads. I'm not in the market for ketchup; I want to buy a fulfilling game experience. If that's 5 hours, then it's 5 hours. If it's not fulfilling, it has other issues.

It's not a mutually exclusive option though. We just got a game two years ago that was 20 hours and saitsfying at the same time.

Kaze2212

All the talk about the game length is getting ridiculous. (Some arguments from both sides.)

The different Uncharted games on normal difficulty took me on average 7h15m. During the playthrough I tried to find some collectibles when I felt like it.

The Last of Us took me 14h on my first playthrough, where I searched every corner to not miss something. (Also normal difficulty).

The Order 1886 being the same genre as the Uncharted games and the other games of their kind isn't too much different from their playtime. The YouTube playthrough might be 5-6 hours but the average player will probably take + 1-2 hours for their first playthrough. (if they don't play on easy.)

Sure the other games (minus UC1) may have had a multiplayer, but that is a different discussion.

Just regarding the game length of The Order 1886 is around the normal game length of TPS'.

So if that type of game is worth your 60$ is up to you. But the game isn't too different from the others.

Edit:
If the other is a good game I can't say. I haven't played it yet.

Beefy

All I know is, come Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm going to have a whole lot of used copies of The Order 1886 in my store. And a bunch of pissed off customers who felt ripped off by the game's length if they beat it between 5-8 hours. I see it every single time when a game of this sort is released.

Least you can charge nearly full price for a second hand game tho ;).

Fury451

Banned

No and no. Be prepared for "But those games had substantial gameplay and weren't mostly unskippable cutscenes".

Don't forget Spec Ops: The Line had multiplayer. Definitely glad they were forced to put that in instead of allocate resources to more story or world building.

I'm getting The Order day 1- my biggest concern with the game is that it'll probably end just when I'm really digging it. And I've heard some pacing problems in the latter half, which is a bummer, but nothing else I've seem concerns me about it.

Why would you watch a whole play through of the game on youtube? I can maybe understand if you peeked for a bit, but the whole game? Those who do so really had no intention on being the game in the first place. Then they will show up on these threads and complain about the game. I just don't get it.

Some folks may simply enjoy the idea of the game abut not interested enough to pay for it and play it.

My reason, should I watch the play through, will be because I find the setting and aesthetic interesting but have no interest in getting a PS4 yet to play it. Hence, I can vicariously experience the game that way.

I wonder why lots of people dismiss the length issue by saying how great a short experience can be too.

Yet, from all reports, this isn't just a short game but a really bad one too. Shallow gameplay, shallow story, underdeveloped setting. It's just pretty bad from every angle you look at it.

I'm really curious about what makes people defend this with blind faith. I'd understand if it was a Soul game, but this is on a level of Ryse, just with a 3rd person shooter instead of a brawler.
All reports?

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames, and if you cherish having a collection of finely produced games, then that's the value of The Order in a nutshell. If you're excited for a strong new IP with endless possibilities and want to see RAD put out new iterations of this level of quality, then give them the nod. I already have.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992687&page=1

Crysis 3 comes to mind, and that had MP

People were complaining about Crysis 3 length? I don't remember that in the OT. I remember us talking about it being a pretty poor game and nowhere near as good as 2 but there was outrage over the length?

All I know is, come Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm going to have a whole lot of used copies of The Order 1886 in my store. And a bunch of pissed off customers who felt ripped off by the game's length if they beat it between 5-8 hours. I see it every single time when a game of this sort is released. It doesn't matter if they got a platinum. It doesn't matter what difficulty they played it on. All that matters is that these customers beat it in one sitting. To a lot of casuals, that is now simply unacceptable for $60.

Seriously? This happens often to you with people marathoning a game and then coming into your store the next day pissed off and returning it? What was the last game you remember where that happened?

entremet

Do you have a lot of preorders?

All I know is, come Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm going to have a whole lot of used copies of The Order 1886 in my store. And a bunch of pissed off customers who felt ripped off by the game's length if they beat it between 5-8 hours. I see it every single time when a game of this sort is released.

Is this why games like Dragonage has 30 hours of fetch quests? Or Bravely Defaults end section? Just to pad the numbers? If it makes someone feel better to grab 10 flowers to heal a sick kid or kill 5 wolves to save a village, more power to them I guess but I would have been fine with A tight story.

nib95

Banned

Absolutely, and I agree with you wholeheartedly on that. But that's also why I believe that throwing the 5 hour figure around is somewhat disingenuous. You don't use the outlier on the furthest side of the low end scale as a default barometer, just as you wouldn't throw around one on the highest end either. I personally think average play throughs will be between 7-12 hours for most GAFers based on the evidence we have, and when discussing the games average length, personally that's the range I'd use, not this 5 hour figure (which is actually 5 hours and 20 minutes btw).

Side note, don't think game length has ever come up so much for a game, ever lol.

cripterion

I find this argument silly for some games. Does anyone actually play Far Cry 4 multiplayer that much? I guess the co-op is cool but unlike The Order 1886, Far Cry 4 is an established IP and its developers have more experience with AAA at this point.

There are exceptions to this rule, of course. The Last of Us multiplayer was actually cool. And I like to play Uncharted multiplayer as well. But that's simply because Naughty Dog isn't your average developer and knows how to create a multiplayer that doesn't feel forced.

Yes, I played it in co-op and it was fun, same as with 3 except I bought Far Cry 3 late and there were not many people online on pc. I also played the multiplayer a couple times. I feel it does add to the game.
I also played Uncharted multiplayer and liked the co-op missions too. Hated TLOU multi though.

But you're right for the other examples, they didn't add anything to the game. I'm talking if you like a good thing, why is more of it bad? Gears of Wars wouldn't be the game it is today without co-op or multi.

rrc1594

Are you serious? you think that a small studio making a new IP with no previous following on a single platform where they have to build their own engine and finance everything for 4 years with no return, with such high production values for a genre that isn't exactly "hot" right now is not a risk for them. this isn't an open world game or an FPS, it doesn't have multiplayer, basically it doesn't "tick all the boxes" if you know what I'm saying.

Okay,but the game it's self does not take any Risk. Which is okay.

You never answered my question. Any examples of a recent game that takes risks?

Nope.

Fury451

Banned
Is this why games like Dragonage has 30 hours of fetch quests? Or Bravely Defaults end section? Just to pad the numbers? If it makes someone feel better to grab 10 flowers to heal a sick kid or kill 5 wolves to save a village, more power to them I guess but I would have been fine with A tight story.

Yes, padding equals bang for buck to people.

Funny thing is, I doubt most ever finish those bigger games.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I swear we had the exact same discussion when Uncharted 1 was released; and that game is not fondly remembered at all.

5 hour length with no replay value for a $60 dollar game is absolutely atrocious, and the market will surely see it that way; I fully expect the price of this game to go down REALLY fast.

Let's hope Sony gives them a second chance, so they can reuse assets and the engine and make a better all around sequel.

King_Moc

Banned

Why are so many people convinced that every game that is longer than the order is full of fetch quests and repetition? That isn't the case, so stop cherry picking.

entremet

Yep. I really hate this aspect of game design.

Jarmel

Banned
Well the other thing is how many minutes of cutscenes were there? Are we even talking about six hours of gameplay or more like 4.5 without cutscenes?

jwhit28

I swear we had the exact same discussion when Uncharted 1 was released; and that game is not fondly remembered at all.

5 hour length with no replay value for a $60 dollar game is absolutely atrocious, and the market will surely see it that way; I fully expect the price of this game to go down REALLY fast.

Let's hope Sony gives them a second chance, so they can reuse assets and the engine and make a better all around sequel.

This game makes me think more of Ryse.

I will be honest.. I think that 5 1/2 hours for a single-player only game is short. But I always check every rooms and places so maybe it will be longer than that for me. I already preordered the game..No regrets as long as it's a good game.

Top Bottom