• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

codhand

I feel like the appropriate response from someone who does not think this is not enough time for their money is just to wait. Is that a big deal?

true, which is what i'm going to do,

but would it be a big deal in an interview about game length to discuss the game's length?

x-Lundz-x

You know what, regardless of if it's 5 hours or 10, I know I'm putting the best looking game of the generation so far in my PS4 this Friday. It's going to look amazing and as long as it plays amazing it's really all I care about.

I'll feel better about paying 60 dollars for my 5 hours of entertainment with The Order rather than the 60 dollars I dropped on the clusterfuck that was Halo MCC that has 4 different campaigns that hardly work.

Review thread is going to be fun.

I think game will have meh scores because it's average, not because it's short and this is just perfect because both people who defend or try to kill this game are focusing on length.

Truant

I feel like the appropriate response from someone who does not think this is not enough time for their money is just to wait. Is that a big deal?

I think how satisfying or fulfilling a game is in its runtime is more important than any counting statistic, but if you need a game to hit a certain benchmark to reach a value threshold for you, then wait.

That's a personal decision. I don't see why it matters to anyone else.

The average time to beat The Order according to our sample size is pretty similar. There's one play through that's 5 hours and then 4-5 around 10 hours.

I think it's fair to criticize a tripple A game for being short and delivering limited value for money as a fully priced game. But yeah, I'm gonna wait until bomba price no matter what.

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah and Halo 3, Lost Planet 1 and Call of Duty 4 also came out that year too, which I think looked pretty good as well.
Looked pretty good and what the order is doing is totally different, the product value alone I would pay $60 to play a game that looks like the order

Footos22

I'm sorry, but 1.5 to 2 mill is not a commercial flop. I'm pretty sure the game will sell 2 mill+ before the end of the year.

Yep, if 1.5/2 million is a flop then almost every xbox one exclusive is a major bomba.

It will prob get sequels, infamous has never really been a big seller and that gets sequels easy enough, Infact second son sold over a million in a week. I expect similar from this. The Second hand market gonna be flooded by the end of the month though.

nib95

Banned
I definitely don't trust them as much vs a full playthrough on youtube. Again it's all about hard evidence vs words. I've been raised to trust the former, so sorry if that isn't good enough :p

As I posted in response to you on the previous page, it's about more than just the YouTube video. It's about using your own logic to understand why that YT play through is very likely going to be an outlier play through time for the majority of GAFers, and understanding the kinds of reasons it may have taken these multiple GAFers longer to complete the game.

The YT channel in question also beat Wolfenstein in 7 hours on their first play through, popular GAF competition times for the game are between 10 and 12 hours, in-fact on HowToPlay it's listed as an 11 hour long game. That should already tell you what you need to know about the relevance of this particular video play through.

Majanew

Banned
You know what, regardless of if it's 5 hours or 10, I know I'm putting the best looking game of the generation so far in my PS4 this Friday. It's going to look amazing and as long as it plays amazing it's really all I care about.

Yep. I'm looking forward to see if the sound design matches the visuals. I love when my surrounds are constantly active and my subwoofer is getting molested with super low frequencies.

Interfectum

I think it's fair to criticize a tripple A game for being short and delivering limited value for money as a fully priced game. But yeah, I'm gonna wait until bomba price no matter what.

That thought process doesn't make games better, it just leads to AAA bloat.

"People will complain it's too short so lets toss out a crafted environment. Just put everyone in an open world with a checklist of tons of boring shit to do for items and achievements."

entremet

I see another Uncharted situation hopefully, where the first game was a pretty game, but very flawed, while the second will be more fleshed out and have MP.

I personally don't equate time to money in gaming. But some people are obsessed with it.

BokehKing

Banned
Yep, if 1.5/2 million is a flop then almost every xbox one exclusive is a major bomba.

It will prob get sequels, infamous has never really been a big seller and that gets sequels easy enough, Infact second son sold over a million in a week. I expect similar from this. The Second hand market gonna be flooded by the end of the month though.
According to people defending titanfall for selling around $20 for a good portion of the year 'price doesn't matter as long as it sells'

So if the price drops, the game will sell to the people who can't afford to part with $60

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I don't agree that being short is inherently a bad thing. I think that's just why I have such a disconnect in these threads. I'm not in the market for ketchup; I want to buy a fulfilling game experience. If that's 5 hours, then it's 5 hours. If it's not fulfilling, it has other issues.

Sure, but that's not what this thread is about. Is it?

Games can suck. Games can be terrible. News at 11.

So why is it popping up as some kind of defense of the game's length in these discussions? I've probably read "I'd rather an amazing short ___ hour game than a long ___ hour game that drags" like 30 times in these last few Order threads. I think everyone would prefer a quality experience above all, no matter the length, so why even bother bringing this up unless you just assume The Order being short speaks to its quality, a position as empty as the negative ones considering most haven't played the game.

Not what I was implying at all, I haven't played the order. Neither have most of the people commenting in this thread. Which goes to my point that it's silly to judge a game solely on length.

I agree with you, but reading that line in the context of this discussion has a defensive tone to it. There are good and bad games on both ends. It's pretty safe to assume EVERYONE would prefer a great game over a mediocre one, no matter the length.

I seriously believe that there are persons who don't even have a PS4 or are even interested in this game that are keen on propagating any news that will be perceived as negative for this game. It's like par for the course for Sony exclusives really, it almost seems like some propaganda machine is at play.

I hated when Insomniac changed up the dreary and dark world of RFOM to a "taste the rainbow" pallete in RFOM 2, they did everything in their power to haloise and codize RFOM 2 and look what it got them, I still love the game, but like you I fear that the developer might try to cater to the loud crowd. I absolutely loved Druckmann's response in that table interview when he told certain gamers to keep on talking. These guys make great competent games, let them do their job and follow their vision.

The bolded so much. I understand not liking a game because it follows a vision you dont believe in. I understand voicing your opinion about it and moving on. The amount of people who seem to just enjoy piling on at any chance they get for this game is really staggering. To the point I'd rather stay out of The Order threads on account of the amount of shit posts and veiled concern I see.

From the very beginning RAD told us what the game would be, we have the game in our hands and it just that. Yet, some are still upset as if they promised the world but gave us dirt.

Parley

Banned
I don't care how long it is but if it is good I will play it.

Now if it is basically a third person shooter then I hope all the mechanics are perfect.

Looked pretty good and what the order is doing is totally different, the product value alone I would pay $60 to play a game that looks like the order

That's fine, that you would pay for The Order at full price for how amazing it looks but, I remember your post being about Portal, not The Order. I was comparing Portal to other games released that year, not those games compared to The Order.

ASPECT RATIO.JPG

Ow.

I'm not too worried about the game lenght, I really don't think that short is always a bad thing. However, there are other things that I'm worried about, like instadeath stealth parts. Those are lazy as fuck.

Does anyone know if The Order has a newgame + or something...?

Well, there's no new game + as there's no systems in the game that would lend to it (no upgrades, stats, resource collection). There's at least 3 difficulty modes, with Hard being recommended by RAD and those who've played.

Aside from trophies and collectibles (which look to be viewable right at the spot only, though very well done; not sure if tracked over multiple runs either), we haven't heard of anything. GameStop and some other places have the alternate costumes, so there's support for that sort of thing, but no word on if there's any sort of unlocks in-game at all from what I've seen here.

Lol, this is all so silly to me. I even had someone bullshit me (-MD-) by telling me the last 5 chapters were pure cutscenes. The game length is perfectly fine if you are a fan of this type of game. I say this because if you only like open world games, or RPGs with hours upon hours of gameplay, then what the fuck are you doing here? Of course this isn't the game for you, so why not move on? Just go next, and stop spreading FUD about a game you aren't interested in.

b0bbyJ03

reading all the Order threads have pretty much shown me why devs think the way they do. Why we get games with tons of fetch quests, worthless multiplayer thrown in, and very little risks. We pretty much get what we collectively deserve.

rrc1594

reading all the Order threads have pretty much shown me why devs think the way they do. Why we get games with tons of fetch quests, worthless multiplayer thrown in, and very little risks. We pretty much get what we collectively deserve.

What risk does this game take?

I don't mind personally as long as the gameplay is fun and that there's unlockables and stuff to give it some replay value. I used to buy Virtua Cop back in the days for 60$ and finished the game in less than 2 hours but the game was fun and made me go back everytime to beat scores.

To be honest, these days i prefer simple focused experiences and not too long with useless crafting and stuff like that. Some games try to be a jack of all trades but are very often masters of none. I love my cinematic shooters here and there and The Order looks like a game i will enjoy !

With that said, can't wait for Friday !

I really like cinematic games but am a little concerned about the playtime. I hope that RAD will be adding stuff post release (maybe a photo mode and the discussed MP horde mode?).

Never a good sign when developer damage controls its own game before the release. IMO every developer out there should wait for the reviews to hit and for social media word of mouth before saying anything. You should always hype your game in previews - do not address unconfirmed rumours even if it seems they can hurt you.

It seems RAD however, does not have any choice left. When the "5-hour long" stigma sticks (even if it is untrue!) then the sales will tank. Casuals will not buy a "5-hour long" Single Player only game in 2015. It's just how it is even if the game is a 9/10 title. Not for $60 anyway.

Tough situation for RAD people. I hope they were not rushed to release the game and did not have extraordinary crunch time before go-live.

I see another Uncharted situation hopefully, where the first game was a pretty game, but very flawed, while the second will be more fleshed out and have MP.

I personally don't equate time to money in gaming. But some people are obsessed with it.

This is what Im hoping for. And I really hope RAD gets a chance to make it happen. Theyre very talented devs, evidenced by the engine theyve built for the game, and I absolutely want to see them expand on what they have. For a 1st new-IP AAA console game on a new engine, The Order looks like a good first step.

suedester

Banned
at the launch price point it wont sell very well but after price drops it will eventually reach around 1.5m imo. max 2m through next 3 years. wont be surprised to see this pop up on ps+ early next year

Nice, can you tell me who is going to win the Superbowl next year? It's the Bears right? Tell me it's the Bears. Yeah, it's the Bears.

SSReborn

This is what Im hoping for. And I really hope RAD gets a chance to make it happen. Theyre very talented devs, evidenced by the engine theyve built for the game, and I absolutely want to see them expand on what they have. For a 1st new-IP AAA console game on a new engine, The Order looks like a good first step.
If it turns out like that I'm sure Sony will give them another chance.

codhand

(maybe a photo mode and the discussed MP horde mode?).

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Dawg

I don't agree that being short is inherently a bad thing. I think that's just why I have such a disconnect in these threads.

Length does not increase quality in my opinion. The best game I played in 2012 was only a few hours long. Best game I played in 2013 was perhaps 6 or 7 hours. I think it's a shame this industry wants different games yet we're already shitting on The Order 1886 before it's even released. Just because it might not be as long as the average AAA game.

Now, I understand it's a harder sell at $60. But, to me, that's just part of the system. Every game is $60. Will The Order 1886 suddenly become better once it's $20? No. But I guess the "value for money" will be better. Maybe.

I'd much rather play an 8 hour game that delivers all the way than a 15 hour game with horrible padding and filler. All of this is extremely hypothetical though, because very few of us ITT actually know if this game is good despite its length.

Beefy

I don't agree that being short is inherently a bad thing. I think that's just why I have such a disconnect in these threads. I'm not in the market for ketchup; I want to buy a fulfilling game experience. If that's 5 hours, then it's 5 hours. If it's not fulfilling, it has other issues.

This is how I see it as well.

Frillen

As I posted in response to you on the previous page, it's about more than just the YouTube video. It's about using your own logic to understand why that YT play through is very likely going to be an outlier play through time for the majority of GAFers, and understanding the kinds of reasons it may have taken these multiple GAFers longer to complete the game.

The YT channel in question also beat Wolfenstein in 7 hours on their first play through, popular GAF competition times for the game are between 10 and 12 hours, in-fact on HowToPlay it's listed as an 11 hour long game. That should already tell you what you need to know about the relevance of this particular video play through.

Well, I kinda said that in a post of mine as well. The Gaffers probably took their time (finding all the collectibles etc.) vs the youtuber. However, at least the youtube video gives you an idea of how long it vs people on GAF just throwing around numbers without evidence. Looking at various evidences from across the net, I think I will spend around 8 hours on this one, which isn't bad at all, but the lack of a new game+ is disappointing.

Sorry for the question but there are a lot of The Order threads around with news all over them:

- does it feature a New Game+ mode?
- can the Platinum be obtained in one playthrough only?

Top Bottom