• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Why is this games length such a controversial thing? Did RAD say this was going to be a 20+ hour game at some point? Why is THIS game somehow being required to be longer to justify a $60 price tag?

Everyone has known from the get go that this was going to be a heavily cinematic, QTE event type game.

There are TONS of short games out there. Many are expensive, many are cheap.

Hell the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a $20 game for like 30 minutes of play time and that game was awesome.

So again, maybe I missed something somewhere, but there seems to be this underlying expectation for this game to be something that it is obviously not, and never intended to be.

arevin01

GAF times shouldn't be used for the casual gamer. Casual players will not be looking at every corner and listen to all the dialogue. The YouTube guy is how I see a casual player would play.

So the guy from rad was telling the truth? Or is everyone lying except YouTube guy?
The YouTube guy isn't lying. His entire playthrough can be viewed by anyone, and it is not a speed run. Btw
ReNeGaDe124 9 hour run had him intentionally replaying sections and searching every part of every room in order to get all the collectables, reading every bit of text, and listening to every bit of dialog. He's the only one I've checked out of that list so far, and I'd say that his experience backs up the YouTube video. If you don't play like a completionist then you can expect around 6 hours of game time with little to no replayability.

Btw on another note, can we all agree now that if a developer shows little of the gameplay and what they do show is the same thing repeated over and over again, that the game is probably lacking content. We went through this with Destiny and now The Order with people at the time insisting that there must be a hidden treasure trove of gameplay the devs are keeping under wraps in order surprise us.

meanspartan

Updated list of GAFer first time completions, including the relevant difficulty levels.

OsirisBlack - 14 hours Hard
Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Periniumlick - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
ReNeGaDe124 - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Average is 10 hours 43 minutes.

This completely lines up with GAF times. Almost perfectly.

Oh wow hope those times are accurate!

What's the deal though with the dude on page 1 saying he saw a youtube playthrough that completed in under 6 hours? He didn't make it sound like some kind of speedrun lol

EDIT:

GAF times shouldn't be used for the casual gamer. Casual players will not be looking at every corner and listen to all the dialogue. The YouTube guy is how I see a casual player would play.

oh...are all those Gaf times completionist style runs though? Damn

Updated list of GAFer first time completions, including the relevant difficulty levels.

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Quoting for new page

If The Order is anywhere near as good as Heavenly Sword I'll be real happy.

haha, Heavenly Sword is shite. The only good thing is Serkis, because he's the only one who know's he's in a C level production and just rolls with it doing a performance that is completely in contrast with everything else happening around him.

Man, RAD should have made a 'normal' game. Screw them for not wanting to make a 'real' game. These cinematic games, how dare they try and emulate movies- we as gamers should fight for more variety in our games while also fighting against types of games we don't like, thus limiting the amount of variety.

Less cinematic, more hack and slash, or more platformers. Cause we all know there is no platformers these days. :/

Sorry, trying to be funny, but failing horrible. Honestly my point is that is that cinematic games are just fine. They aren't taking away from any other genre of games Really getting sick of this anti-cinematic wave that is happening.

Yeaaa... it's hard to think about it like that. But, Rad made the game they wanted to make, exactly the way they wanted to. Sony priced the game they thought it should be priced. If you have an issue with the price, then that's not on RAD.

QuikNez

It suppose it can be 9 hours, but it took me ~22h to complete it on normal according to my save file.

I have a feeling The Order will be just fine.

It's not apples to apples.

The Order will not be fine, if it provides 5-10 hours of decent gameplay and no online / multi.

Imo, gamers want more.

ironcreed

Banned
The celebration of mediocrity by people who initially believe the hype but are inevitably disappointed. It's the never ending cycle of the current AAA market imho.

However, if you are simply curious about it as an objective cultural artifact, more power to you.

How can you be so certain that none of us who want to play the game will enjoy it? Is it truly lunacy to enjoy something that popular opinion is not fond of? Is it lunacy to have one's own opinion and the want to decide for oneself if you think something looks appealing? No, some people will like this game for what it is, believe it or not. Not everyone has to be in agreement with you and there is room at the table for all sorts of games. Hard as that might be for you to understand.

I tell you what. It would not be the first time that I ended up enjoying a game that is not received well, nor would it be the last. Same can be said of books, music and movies. If I always just went with popular opinion and let critics dictate what I enjoy, I would have missed out on a lot of great material. To be too timid to just go with whatever appeals to you, regardless of popular opinion is what I find to be lunacy. There is no set standard for what people should or should not be able to enjoy.

How can you be so certain that none of us who want to play the game will enjoy it? Is it truly lunacy to enjoy something that popular opinion is not fond of? Is it lunacy to have one's own opinion and the want to decide for oneself if you think something looks appealing? No, some people will like this game for what it is, believe it or not. Not everyone has to be in agreement with you and there is room at the table for all sorts of games. Hard as that might be for you to understand.

I tell you what. It would not be the first time that I ended up enjoying a game that is not received well, nor would it be the last. Same can be said of books, music and movies. If I always just went with popular opinion and let critics dictate what I enjoy, I would have missed out on a lot of great material. To be too timid to just go with whatever appeals to you, regardless of popular opinion is what I find to be lunacy. There is no set standard for what people should or should not be able to enjoy.
Hallelujah brother. Just like Too Human. Ish was goooood. But value and quality are not the same thing.

Frillen

yeah but i didnt hide the link like u did.

I didn't hide it. It was pretty obvious that the link was The Order 1886 related. Plus you didn't really comment on my original post? I guess we can agree then that The Order is a 5,5 hours game, since you know, we're both going by Youtube vidoes?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kidding about what?

Your statement.

That was not a spoiler. Even if you unknowingly click it, you don't see anything happen for a good 30 seconds even if you don't get an ad before the video.

Why is this games length such a controversial thing? Did RAD say this was going to be a 20+ hour game at some point? Why is THIS game somehow being required to be longer to justify a $60 price tag?

Everyone has known from the get go that this was going to be a heavily cinematic, QTE event type game.

That's actually what's kind of hilarious about this. Ryse got panned for being heavily cinematic and filled with QTE, yet people act as if somehow, The Order should escape similar criticisms.

Booshka

So is playing on hard your first playthrough the general consensus?

Hard with Aim Assist off seems like the way to play if you can hang. If you don't care about a challenge and just want to go through the story, then play on Normal with Aim Assist on. I think the gameplay looks decent enough to warrant Hard difficulty with Aim Assist off for a first playthrough though. If you are looking for collectibles and taking your time, it should certainly pad out the play time too.

Tainted

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Honestly, after watching the playthrough on normal...I don't know how these guys are taking 3-4hrs longer to go through the same content.

The only thing the YT'er doesn't do is pick up collectables....he dies/screws up heaps of times, dilly dallys around in some areas. He generally plays at 'normal person speed', it is in no way a speedrun

I dont know why there is no much hate towards the ppl talking about the playthrough....its the same as sitting on a couch watching your mate play the game (which many people do). The game is 40-50% cut-scenes, so watching a game on YT is almost the same experience. I watched the game in HD on my 55" TV and it looked fantastic.

That all said, it is still an amazing title....it is miles ahead graphically over any other nextgen game imo. I will def pick this up and play through it myself when my budget allows (Also by then, I will have forgotten the story etc)

Verendus

Banned
I'm concerned. I'm always concerned. I'm concerned they're concerned. I'm concerned I'm concerned. I'm concerned they're concerned that it's made me concerned.

FeiRR

Banned

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Quoting because it needs more attention. Very informative, thanks.

I wonder how many people who were concerned about the length have been put off buying it.
I believe a lot were, based off comments here on gaf and on other forums and youtube comments as well. It's difficult for people to warrant paying $60 for a game that offers only ~6 hours worth of content when most other games offer much much more for the same price or even cheaper. I'll personally be renting the game now that I have learned that the rumors about the length are true.

Honestly, after watching the playthrough on normal...I don't know how these guys are taking 3-4hrs longer to go through the same content.

The only thing the YT'er doesn't do is pick up collectables....he dies/screws up heaps of times, dilly dallys around in some areas. He generally plays at 'normal person speed', it is in no way a speedrun

I dont know why there is no much hate towards the ppl talking about the playthrough....its the same as sitting on a couch watching your mate play the game (which many people do). The game is 40-50% cut-scenes, so watching a game on YT is almost the same experience. I watched the game in HD on my 55" TV and it looked fantastic.

That all said, it is still an amazing title....it is miles ahead graphically over any other nextgen game imo. I will def pick this up and play through it myself when my budget allows (Also by then, I will have forgotten the story etc)
Agreed.

Darkangel

According to the average Gaf completion time, it puts The Order up there with UC1/TR (minus MP). Surely that's sort of going against your point?

The only concrete evidence I have is the playthrough on youtube. I've skimmed through it myself and he seemed to be playing at a moderate pace. Sure he didn't go for every collectible or stop to admire all the scenery, but it wasn't a speedrun by any means.

That Evil Within video was on easy difficulty and I doubt it was their first time playing since it's a 100% run. The Gears video was done in co-op mode and again was probably not their first time playing. I understand what you're trying to say but I doubt The Order playthrough on youtube was set up to sabotage the game.

I think it depends on your circumstances. If i was a kid looking to eek out +50 hours of gameplay from every game I buy, I would definitely feel let down by this game.

-MD-

The only concrete evidence I have is the playthrough on youtube. I've skimmed through it myself and he seemed to be playing at a moderate pace. Sure he didn't go for every collectible or stop to admire all the scenery, but it wasn't a speedrun by any means.

That Evil Within video was on easy difficulty and I doubt it was their first time playing since it's a 100% run. The Gears video was done in co-op mode and again was probably not their first time playing. I understand what you're trying to say but I doubt The Order playthrough on youtube was set up to sabotage the game.

Yeah the Evil Within video is being played on casual by somebody that has already completed the game at least one time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I completely agree that it's subjective. I'm talking about the posters who say any criticism of the game is deliberately unfair, like the dude I was talking with on the last page.
That's reading quite a bit into the comment you were responding to.

Exploratory said:
At one point is it wrong for a developer to charge 60 dollars? At one point can I or we say that's not enough? Is criticism just not allowed? FFS are we supposed to just be endless free PR hype machines for game companies?
Thanks for completely missing my point.

YOU can decide *at any point* how much is too much *for you* to pay for a particular game based on what that particular game does or doesn't offer. Then *I* can, in turn, also decide what is too much *for me* to pay for the same game. Further, the developer (actually, the publisher) can then decide to charge whatever the hell they want for the game based on whether they estimate there's more people out there like you or like me in terms of our particularly interest to play the game and how much we're willing to pay for the privilege.

It's not so much "criticism" as "personal buying preferences" which some people keep trying to overinflate the value of, ironically enough. There are plenty of games I will never buy for $6, nevermind $60, which isn't necessarily indicative of those games' quality, just their particular value proposition to me. The controversy here is no more or less than that, but for some reason there's a chip on some people's shoulders about making an example out of this particular game.

SFenton

I'm sure this has already been said, but I loved Ryse and that was maybe six hours of gameplay.

Don't care how long a game is, I care how entertaining (not necessarily *good*, as in the case of Ryse) a game is. So long as this is entertaining, I don't see an issue with at least a playthrough (granted, I bought Ryse from a digital half-off sale).

Lingitiz

I wonder how many people who were concerned about the length have been put off buying it.
I've been more turned off on hearing about half the chapters are unbroken cutscenes and that the back third of the story really falls off.

Honestly the game could be six hours and be fine. The problem is that it doesn't sound like it uses its time all that well and ends really poorly.

Hahs

It sounds like they're banking on there being branching paths resulting from how well you perform QTE's.

5 hour game? No man, you'll want to replay it a lot to see all the different content we put into... QTE's.

I can see this as well, which could shine some light into the director's reasoning behind this comment

We do what we do for the players. And, ultimately, that's where I want to leave it."

- which was preceded by some other nonsense or excuse about not explaining the reasoning behind 5 to 6+ hours of content.

Man, I don't know why this is ringing my bell so bad. Just in this day and age -shit like this should be gauged from the get-go, and if it is - grow a pair and just tell us why it is the way it is.

QuikNez

I believe a lot were, based off comments here on gaf and on other forums and youtube comments as well. It's difficult for people to warrant paying $60 for a game that offers only ~6 hours worth of content when most other games offer much much more for the same price or even cheaper. I'll personally be renting the game now that I have learned that the rumors about the length are true.

Gamers like value; there's no denying the fact that 1886, if it's short and has little replayability, will get hammered in reviews.

I can't believe the amount of RAD defence in this thread.

If TLOU was 5 hours long it would be shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Especially considering the guy who posted the video is very positive about the game. I don't know why the short play length is such a big deal for people who are still excited about the game. To me, six-ish hours is not that much different from nine-ish hours.

Top Bottom