• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

joecanada

It competed with Uncharted which has a great story campaign but also a Multiplayer mode. It competes with COD and all other shooters that have a Multiplayer mode. It would have been fine if it was a long winded story like Mass Effect or Fallout. However shooters like these benefit a lot from a Multiplayer mode.

you just wrote "it competed with uncharted"... how does it compete with a game that has never appeared on the ps4? If people are clamouring for a tps and uncharted is their bag, then they will undoubtedly be pumped about the Order releasing a good year before uncharted... and many don't even bother with uncharted mp although that's another topic.

It does not compete with COD and all other shooters, those are all without exception massive dudebro shooters with terrible stories and zero plotlines, which the Order may or may not beat by a mile... that remains to be seen but the indication is they are going for an epic type of story telling.

MP would probably have been pretty cool, but that is pretty much not a consideration, the game is not mp, so it doesn't have mp elements to argue over, it's not comparable to other mp games. it should be compared to other games of its type, say an uncharted without mp or a soul reaver, heavenly sword, etc...

if it's not your type of game then so be it, but saying it's just a bad concept is wrong until proven otherwise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think it depends on your circumstances. If i was a kid looking to eek out +50 hours of gameplay from every game I buy, I would definitely feel let down by this game.

I remember feeling so damn burnt by The Bouncer when I bought it at launch as a kid.

I brought it home and finished it in like 2 hours. Had my mom take me back to the store to exchange it for something else immediately. Very "cinematic" and pretty game, though.

Freeman

Banned
I haven't played the campaign in a while. Still, the video description makes it sound like they're trying to finish the game as fast as possible.
So was the guy that was playing the video that is on youtube of The Order. I only watched the beginning but he would get in front of items with a prompt to examine and would just ignore, he was at the very least very objective.

The Order seems to be short, but not 5h short to most people, specially not to those that are playing on hard. To the people that are interested in the game but are uncomfortable paying 60$ for a short game and don't care for having it on their collection just buy it and sell after you are done with it or rent it. You can also wait till the price drops.

I recently played through about 60% of Ryse.

It's honestly one of the worst games I've ever played.

Same here, I couldn't even appreciate the graphics given how bad I felt the game was, couldn't finish it, absolutely uninspired.

Sotha_Sil

Same thing as Titanfall. Some people found it worth the money, others didn't. Some people will find The Order worth the money, others won't.

I'm in the camp that doesn't think The Order is worth it, but all the power to those who do. I'll stick with Bloodborne and The Witcher and be perfectly content.

I remember feeling so damn burnt by The Bouncer when I bought it at launch as a kid.

I brought it home and finished it in like 2 hours. Had my mom take me back to the store to exchange it for something else immediately. Very "cinematic" and pretty game, though.
You beat the bouncer in two hours? Pro gamer right here. I remember playing that for at least two weeks, setting up combos and stuff.

RAD should never have responded to trolls. Let this be a lesson for future. The game is 4 days away, just wait it out.
Awww... That's cute. You think the devs responding with "No comment" about the run time length of a playthrough posted on YouTube for anybody to see would not have generated the exact same amount of controversy, if not more.

Oh and it is not trolling to ask a dev about the runtime length of their game.

This is worrying. It didn't seem like that person in the playthrough was rushing either.

The game being five hours long isn't the problem, it's the price. I'm going to wait until it goes down or just rent it, I ain't spending £50 on a five hour game.

Darknight

2 Hours? Did you beat it with all characters and unlock all characters and special moves? I beat the game and found everything. One of the best games ever. It was like Tobal's Dungeons on crack. Shu yo mouth, game looked good too.

The Bouncer Defense Force assemble!!!!!!!

So was the guy that was playing the video that is on youtube of The Order. I only watched the beginning but he would get in front of items with a prompt to examine and would just ignore, he was at the very least very objective.

The Order seems to be short, but not 5h short to most people, specially not to those that are playing on hard.

I doubt they were played similarly. The Gears guy basically says he trying to finish it quickly. Plus its co-op and probably not his first time playing. Other places say it takes more like 12 hours to complete. Not to mention it has MP.

-MD-

2 Hours? Did you beat it with all characters and unlock all characters and special moves? I beat the game and found everything. One of the best games ever. It was like Tobal's Dungeons on crack. Shu yo mouth, game looked good too.

The Bouncer Defense Force assemble!!!!!!!

Dude, I loved The Bouncer. I'm pretty sure it was about 90 minutes long but as a kid it felt like a long time.

I played through it with a buddy a handful of times.

Short campaign time + lack of additional modes + low replayability = rent or wait for PS+, unless the campaign is just absolutely stellar on another level. But even a "similar" game like Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 had tremendous depth and variety that lent itself to experimentation and multiple playthroughs. This doesn't seem to be true of The Order (I could be wrong)

Darknight

Dude, I loved The Bouncer. I'm pretty sure it was about 90 minutes long but as a kid it felt like a long time.

I played through it with a buddy a handful of times.

Well I dont know about that because I beat it with all 3 characters as they had different scenes and different story arcs or something.

Anyways this game had the greatest rag doll physics ever. They were ahead of their time!

Short campaign time + lack of additional modes + low replayability = rent or wait for PS+, unless the campaign is just absolutely stellar on another level. But even a "similar" game like Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 had tremendous depth and variety that lent itself to experimentation and multiple playthroughs. This doesn't seem to be true of The Order (I could be wrong)

You honestly think this would given away for free ?

Bydobob

I would buy this game, if only for a showcase of what a second party studio can wring out of the PS4. That fella talking about "drinking" in the atmosphere etc has been ridiculed, but he makes a good point. This game appears to have insane attention to detail and style, rushing through to the conclusion is just cheating yourself.

The flip side is that as a gamer first and foremost, I prefer to have control of the character. Having such a large proportion of the game taken up by cut scenes and QTEs doesn't appeal to my sensibilities, and demanding acceptance in a community of similarly rabid gamers is pretty naive. "Interactive movies" like this will have a more favourable audience elsewhere than NeoGAF I suspect.

That's entirely not the point he was making. He's saying that three and a half hours worked for Modern Warfare's singleplayer campaign.
But what's the point of saying it's absolutely impossible to beat it in 5 hours and then refuse to say how long? To me that may mean 5:15 in length.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would buy this game, if only for a showcase of what a second party studio can wring out of the PS4. That fella talking about "drinking" in the atmosphere etc has been ridiculed, but he makes a good point. This game appears to have insane attention to detail and style, rushing through to the conclusion is just cheating yourself.

The flip side is that as a gamer first and foremost, I prefer to have control of the character. Having such a large proportion of the game taken up by cut scenes and QTEs doesn't appeal to my sensibilities, and demanding acceptance in a community of similarly rabid gamers is pretty naive. "Interactive movies" like this will have a more favourable audience elsewhere than NeoGAF I suspect.

That's what I'm getting it for. The attention to detail is insane. I really like exploring virtual environments and taking screenshots, so I can derive a lot of fun out of that. Honestly, Assassin's Creed Unity was a bad game through and through, but I derived a great deal of enjoyment out of it from just being able to explore their amazing rendition of Paris.

mejin

A friend of mine told me if the price was 15, 20 bucks than no one would complain since it's a fair price to charge on a short lenght game. It's crazy, but i do respect his opinion, just don't agree to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because it is useful first-hand information. As opposed to people talking about youtube playthroughs made by someone else, which I consider useless.

What? Because they have GAF accounts, their reported experiences deserve more recognition than someone who posted their entire playthrough on YouTube? You can't get more transparent than posting your entire playthrough from start to finish and commenting on it.

mjp2417

Banned
That's what I'm getting it for. The attention to detail is insane. I really like exploring virtual environments and taking screenshots, so I can derive a lot of fun out of that. Honestly, Assassin's Creed Unity was a bad game through and through, but I derived a great deal of enjoyment out of it from just being able to explore their amazing rendition of Paris.

Yeah, this game definitely seems to be worth playing through at some point for the art/tech alone. Really stunning stuff.

By not talking about it they're basically confirming that it's a short game. Also using mw as an example is bad since that game includes mp. The game looks interesting but I can wait and pay $20 for it and get the same experience. It wouldn't have taken that much effort to add a survival mode of some sort even if it meant another delay. For $60 I want quality and quantity.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Because it is useful first-hand information. As opposed to people talking about youtube playthroughs made by someone else, which I consider useless.

Have you played it? No?

Then all of those numbers you are quoting are THIRD HAND information, as they come from other people, as as you put it, "someone else". Just like the person who played it and put video of their playthrough on Youtube.

Funny how that works.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You beat the bouncer in two hours? Pro gamer right here. I remember playing that for at least two weeks, setting up combos and stuff.
No, that's pretty much how long it takes to run through The Bouncer. It's about a 2 hour game.

Now, you have three characters and some branching sections in there as well to change things up but it's still rather short. I didn't mind that either, to be honest, but I was blinded by the impressive visuals.

Gee guys, would you pay 'full price' for games like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2 if they got released today? Those are typical single player games with 8 to 12 hours of content, less if you rush it, more if you're a completionist. Personally I'm fine with an 8 hour campaign; and it will probably take me a bit longer since I like to look around and play it on hard. If you don't think it isnt offering enough value for your money just pick it up in a sale.

MGS 1 took me like 12+ hours on my first play through and RE2 has 6 different scenarios and can take 12-15 hours for a first time play through. I'm cool with an 8hour game, but a 5 hour game that's $60 is a bit too much.

DataGhost

Why is a youtube playthrough useless? Why does youtube make the fact that someone completed the game in less than 6 hours make it false? If those gaffers were to post their playthroughs on youtube, would their information be useless then?

All of this sounds great to me for the following reasons:

1. I would have a much higher chance of completing the game since my gaming time seems to get shorter and shorter.

2. A complete story with (hopefully) no gimmicks for padding length like fetch quests and whatnot that big down the pacing.

3. Animation, graphics and motion capture look amazing and the costs associated probably had a factor in the length. Hopefully there's some well-crafted DLC coming. I'd rather be spending 5 hours saying "wow this looks great!" Than 10 hours noticing reused assets and/or lower quality graphics.

TL:dr I have a full time job and am pleased the game is short enough for me to finish.

No, that's pretty much how long it takes to run through The Bouncer. It's about a 2 hour game.

Now, you have three characters and some branching sections in there as well to change things up but it's still rather short. I didn't mind that either, to be honest, but I was blinded by the impressive visuals.
Aye, but I remember playing through the game at least four times. Kind of like way of the samurai. A short story is fine if there is some incentive to replay.

-MD-

Gee guys, would you pay 'full price' for games like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2 if they got released today? Those are typical single player games with 8 to 12 hours of content, less if you rush it, more if you're a completionist. Personally I'm fine with an 8 hour campaign; and it will probably take me a bit longer since I like to look around and play it on hard. If you don't think it isnt offering enough value for your money just pick it up in a sale.

RE2? Hell yeah, it had like 4+ playthroughs worth of content.

MMaRsu

Banned
A friend of mine told me if the price was 15, 20 bucks than no one would complain since it's a fair price to charge on a short lenght game. It's crazy, but i do respect his opinion, just don't agree to it.

Can you not explain to him that at 20 bucks a copy, they would never recoup dev costs?

He has a point. This is a forum of hyper-enthusiasts...
This is quickly becoming my biggest criticism of NeoGaf. It seems that a large part of this community is completely incapable of talking about gaming from the perspective of the general public. Anytime it is brought up how overall sales, or the general reaction will be to a game, people start taking it personal and you get a lot of post like "But I don't care what other people like. In my opinion..." That's great and all, but I have to ask this question to those defending The Order:

Accepting the fact that you personally think you'll like The Order, what do yo think will be the overall reaction to the game's quality and length from the general public?

Tainted

Why is a youtube playthrough useless? Why does youtube make the fact that someone completed the game in less than 6 hours make it false? If those gaffers were to post their playthroughs on youtube, would their information be useless then?

I think many people are saying its useless because it was a random youtuber. If say, a reputable media outlet such as IGN, Gamespot, GB etc were to release their playthough on the internet, all of a sudden people would sit up and take notice.

I guess we'll see how useless this current info is in a few days when the embargo drops.

Top Bottom