• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

This game's length seems to be similar to many other linear, cinematic games so I'm finding it strange that so many people are up in arms. Not only that but it's not like these types of games are the norm these days. Not even close.

Gaf threads are not for circle jerking. If you don't like the quality of a post PM a mod but don't try to tell people their opinions are useless because they have a dissenting opinion. That's the problem with hyped games on the Internet. There can never be any criticisms even if they're legitimate. In this case the fanbase of the order is a vocal minority. No one wants to pay full price for a barebones game.
You're absolutely right, but the post he/she quoted (calling the game a qte simulator) was a straight up shitpost.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it depends on your circumstances. If i was a kid looking to eek out +50 hours of gameplay from every game I buy, I would definitely feel let down by this game.

Absolutely. And conversely as a working father of two kids, 50+ hour games actively put me off as I know I'll never finish them.

DataGhost

You're missing my point, I'm agreeing with your both that it makes no sense. I was simply playing devil's advocate with my comment. There are many people in this thread dismissing PlayMeThrough's video / playtime on the basis of him being a random youtuber.

Like I posted earlier, I've already watched the playthrough and I agree that it shouldn't be dismissed because of who he is...or more accurately isn't)

Meant to say same game. But yeah I agree, it shouldn't matter who it is, but disregarding someone's gameplay playthrough of the same game that others played. I'm just confused by the contradiction of what that person was saying

This game's length seems to be similar to many other linear, cinematic games so I'm finding it strange that so many people are up in arms.
Is it? What other games would you put in the company of The Order?

To guess from these impressions I think of The Order like a shorter Max Payne 3, with more direct moment-to-moment action than something like Beyond: Two Souls. Thats just a gut sense from the impressions I've read but it still seems short.

DataGhost

Really? I don't even see many games like The Order. Every AAA game that gets released now involves chasing icons on a map, climbing a tower to open up more icons and chasing those.

If anything The Order seems like a breath of fresh air.

Fresh air in what way? What does it do that hasn't been done in a while?

lM51frN.jpg

but as the chart shows, preferences can vary among individuals

Really? I don't even see many games like The Order. Every AAA game that gets released now involves chasing icons on a map, climbing a tower to open up more icons and chasing those.

That's just another type of AAA box cut. This is a short game, with great graphics, that has a ton of cutscenes, that doesn't seem to have any really interesting game play mechanics, and has quick time events as an integral part of the experience. If it had microtransactions it'd basically be Playstation Ryse.

But to each their own.

I want more diversity in games too but different <> good. From what I'm hearing The Order fails on just about every point except visual quality and detail. Not even the story seems any good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't know why people still think cinematic = bad or bad gameplay. People do realize that stuff like Bayonetta and Vanquish are cinematic games right?

They utilize qtes and are linear for sure, but generally by cinematic games people are referring to the player having very little or no agency whatsoever.

Something like Call of Duty or Uncharted applies. There are consistent moments where your character walks slowly or stands around during an ingame cutscene. There are heavy scripted events that play out roughly the same way every time. Vanquish or Bayonetta do not apply since you can mix up the gameplay a ton on replays and there are few ingame cutscenes. Only the aforementioned qtes play out the same.

go on
The problem isn't that the story in The Order is short, it's that it's crap. Games like The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite that are on the shorter side but great stories could be worth the $60 asking price. The Order is not even in the same realm of quality as those stories.

I don't have a PS4, but I'm super into writing so I watched the playthrough that was on youtube last night. I made it about half way before I got so bored I just didn't care anymore (I read up on what happens). Avoiding spoilers as this isn't the thread for that, so I'll just leave it at "the story's got major problems."

dear lord

GAF user Rapier had a thing or two to say about how upset he was with the story over in the spoiler thread. There are no spoilers in the post below, but I've spoiler'd it for those that don't want to go into the game with any negative preconceptions. For those that just want to have all of the information before making a buying decision, don't worry, I repeat: there are no story spoilers here.

There is no character development whatsoever save for a very meager attempt at back story at the very end, and that's it. Flat characters, flat characters everywhere. The story in this game is like walking in halfway through the second Hobbit movie.

It's like one very talented team came up with the art direction and concept of the Knights, and then a group of high schoolers wrote an empty, flat ass, substanceless suspense.

I'm pretty sure I'll love this game but 5hrs does seem short. I love cinematic action games so I will support them with my $60 ($37 after GCU and $10 preorder bonus) :D

How the hell did you get a $10 pre-order bonus on this at BB as I pre-ordered as well and it says nothing on my receipt as it has before? I also checked the website and The Order doesn't qualify as far as I can see. I think you may be confused.

Edit- I'm pretty sure only multi-platform game pre-orders net you the $10 in RZ points, not exclusives.

Apathy

I cant believe this thread is now so long.

This is the reason why games get tacked on mp and stupid fetch quests.

Yeah but if they did that then the complaints would be "filler fetch quests should have not been added" and "why fucking bother with this multiplayer, it sucks, should have spent more time on the game". Goalposts move so much around these divisive games. People all day can say they don't want a short game, but if you gave them a really long game they would complain. The opposite would occur as well.

The money issue is brought up but when we point out games are cheaper now than ever before and production costs have gone up people avoid it entirely. When people want to point at certain old (good and bad games mind you) are long and why can't new games be that way, they ignore when people bring up other great and bad old games that are short.

red720

8 to 10 hours all killer no filler sounds good to me. 5 to 6 seems pretty short though.

I find a lot of Call of Duty games fall apart if you play them at higher difficulties; enemy behaviour becomes extremely predictable, and through repetition you can't help but start to see the invisible lines on the floor that trigger the "AI" to pop out. I don'thave the same problem with other shooters like Gears or Bioshock where the AI seems more reactive and less predicatable.

Can anyone who's played this comment to this aspect.

This game's length seems to be similar to many other linear, cinematic games so I'm finding it strange that so many people are up in arms. Not only that but it's not like these types of games are the norm these days. Not even close.

I don't know why other people are up in arms, but I'm up in arms precisely because The Order's length seems shorter than other linear, cinematic games' lengths. I consider a 10-hour game like Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 to be on the lower end of what I'll consider spending $60 on, and The Order doesn't seem like a 10 hour game - or if it is a 10 hour game that's only if you spend a lot of time rummaging around in corners for collectables.

Interfectum

Fresh air in what way? What does it do that hasn't been done in a while?

The last AAA games I've played include Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Dying Light, GTA and infamous. Basically open world, chase icon simulators. The last AAA game I played that was like The Order was maybe, The Evil Within? Uncharted? I dunno.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
go on

dear lord

Wait, why should his opinions about the story be invalid because he didn't play through the game but watched it in its entirety? As long as he doesn't start spoiling things for everyone, what's the issue?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I want more diversity in games too but different <> good. From what I'm hearing The Order fails on just about every point except visual quality and detail. Not even the story seems any good.
Every single person, including the Youtuber who went through it quickly, has said the game is worth playing and they don't regret buying it. It sounds like it's a solid game.

EGOMON

Jesus 35 pages already!
Good thing gaf represent 0.0001% of the gaming community otherwise this industry would collapse on it self.

Gaf threads are not for circle jerking. If you don't like the quality of a post PM a mod but don't try to tell people their opinions are useless because they have a dissenting opinion. That's the problem with hyped games on the Internet. There can never be any criticisms even if they're legitimate. In this case the fanbase of the order is a vocal minority. No one wants to pay full price for a barebones game.

Tbh what is the concern though and how is this thread not nearing the "beyond concern" realm?

At this point, a lot of people have made is clear months waaaaay before this news that they weren't buying it. Some usual faces that are always in Order threads have said it a million times including now. At some point, genuine concern has been left the building. It's now just everyone once again confirming that they aren't buying it. That's great and all, but if you aren't buying it, why do we keep trying to rationalize what others should want to spend or not spend on a game. As well as the tired assumptions that it's boring from these same people who haven't even played the game?

It's really annoying for people who do want to experience the game fully without the BS, to constantly hear the same faces say the same thing over, "Oh it's not worth $60. Oh, it has no mp. Oh, it seems boring. Oh the story is shit. Oh it's etc"

It's not something that telling a mod needs to go as far as doing. But people can also be annoyed at the same comment going on over and over and over in a thread span of 35+ pages of the same shit. It is..... Like we get it. The only other game that continued this long streak of, at this point, meaningless complaining about something that is not forced for anyone to deal with - is Destiny. Except that's a game that everyone actually had a chance to experience after to complain.

EL CUCO

The problem isn't that the story in The Order is short, it's that it's crap. Games like The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite that are on the shorter side but great stories could be worth the $60 asking price. The Order is not even in the same realm of quality as those stories.

Did you play it? (Serious question)

I don't have a PS4, but I'm super into writing so I watched the playthrough that was on youtube last night. I made it about half way before I got so bored I just didn't care anymore (I read up on what happens). Avoiding spoilers as this isn't the thread for that, so I'll just leave it at "the story's got major problems."
KeQnBdQ.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why people still think cinematic = bad or bad gameplay. People do realize that stuff like Bayonetta and Vanquish are cinematic games right?

The 'cinematic' you seem to be using refers to great spectacle.

The 'cinematic' a lot of people are using in regards to The Order refers to "mostly cutscenes."

Thats not what cinematic means though. Everyone has this idea that Cinematic = no gameplay, push forward to progress cutscene etc. when its not like that. Fighting enemies on Chronos's hand? Cinematic. Fighting enemies on top of a jet plane? cinematic. 100 man battle or Fighting that fat guy on top of the yellow tower in Shenmue 2? Cinematic.

Exactly this. You're not using the same definition as a lot of people. Both are valid, I'd say.

DataGhost

The last AAA games I've played include Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Dying Light, GTA and infamous. Basically open world, chase icon simulators. The last AAA game I played that was like The Order was maybe, The Evil Within? Uncharted? I dunno.

Oh you mean smaller in scale.

This is not being said anywhere.

Event Horizon:

'In general relativity, an event horizon is a boundary in spacetime beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer. In layman's terms, it is defined as "the point of no return", i.e., the point at which the gravitational pull becomes so great as to make escape impossible.'

They utilize qtes and are linear for sure, but generally by cinematic games people are referring to the player having very little or no agency whatsoever.

Something like Call of Duty or Uncharted applies. There are consistent moments where your character walks slowly or stands around during an ingame cutscene. There are heavy scripted events that play out roughly the same way every time. Vanquish or Bayonetta do not apply since you can mix up the gameplay a ton on replays and there are few ingame cutscenes. Only the aforementioned qtes play out the same.

Cinematic games never had anything to do with player agency. Games like Bioshock, LA Noire, GTAV, God of War are all cinematic. Cinematic means the games presentation shares similarities with movies or has an emphasis on spectacle, not that the game literally plays like watching a movie and is full of interactive cutscenes.

Cinematic was a term that was used before games like Heavy Rain or Uncharted were a thing. Not sure why people seem to have changed the meaning.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cinematic games never had anything to do with player agency. Games like Bioshock, LA Noire, GTAV, God of War are all cinematic. Cinematic means the games presentation shares similarities with movies or has an emphasis on spectacle, not that the game literally plays like watching a movie and is full of interactive cutscenes.

Again, people use both definitions (and more).

People also use it in regards to the "feel" of a movie, often when defending a low frame rate.

Haha I mean, it's a shit game. Imo not nearly worth the price. But to each his own. If thats your prerogative then go for it
I mean, you think its a shit game. Oh, thats right, you watched half of it on youtube. Thats the same as playin games now.

jacobeid

Banned
Wow, GAF. Wow.

I'll be back after I've, you know, *played* the game myself and can form my own opinions. You all have fun now :)

Haha I mean, it's a shit game. Imo not nearly worth the price. But to each his own. If thats your prerogative then go for it

Double, triple, quadruple wow.

The posting quality of some juniors recently is really baffling. Dude already admitted that they don't even own a PS4. +1 to the ignore list.

Top Bottom