• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Coming to Switch and PS4 (Digital August 17th, Physical October 13th)

Nydius

I get that it's fun to hate on Rockstar but let's be honest: the bulk of the anger should be directed at Sony. If Sony had taken the time to prioritize PS3 backward compatibility -- which has long been a community feature request -- this wouldn't be an issue. There'd already be a PS4 Pro enhanced version of RDR1: the same version that's been on Xbox One X for years.

Instead, Sony argued that PS3 back compat work was too hard, not economical, or whatever excuse they'd have at the time. Then decided the only way they'd let modern PlayStation consoles have PS3 titles was through a curated cloud-based format only available through PSNow then PS+ Premium. Rockstar is only working within the confines of what Sony provided.

For all their faults, at least Microsoft understands the value of maintaining multi-generational game access, much like PC libraries on Steam.
Whereas Sony "believes in generations" and has no issues walling off your past games on previous consoles, only allowing you access if you pay again.

xX4thmanXx

Neo Member
Classic case of being so out of touch with the actual market and only looking at the bottom line. Was probably done as a simple exercise to retain the IP license. "If you dont use em, ya lose em" type of thing. There is no good intention here.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I get that it's fun to hate on Rockstar but let's be honest: the bulk of the anger should be directed at Sony. If Sony had taken the time to prioritize PS3 backward compatibility -- which has long been a community feature request -- this wouldn't be an issue. There'd already be a PS4 Pro enhanced version of RDR1: the same version that's been on Xbox One X for years.

Instead, Sony argued that PS3 back compat work was too hard, not economical, or whatever excuse they'd have at the time. Then decided the only way they'd let modern PlayStation consoles have PS3 titles was through a curated cloud-based format only available through PSNow then PS+ Premium. Rockstar is only working within the confines of what Sony provided.

For all their faults, at least Microsoft understands the value of maintaining multi-generational game access, much like PC libraries on Steam.
Whereas Sony "believes in generations" and has no issues walling off your past games on previous consoles, only allowing you access if you pay again.
Yeah but, if I want to play this on Switch I'd still have to pay 50 dollars. Not that I would, but still.

I'll probably buy a digital copy at launch and pick up a disc and a Switch cart later.

I bought the original release three times (launch, GOTY edition, and 360 GOTY edition). Seems fitting I'd do the same here.

Last edited:
Booted up RDR2 and this popped up.
189d24a0de169-screenshotUrl.jpg

I think they could still be holding on to something like "RDR Definitive" for XSX, PS5 and PC.
If they could F up even more, that would be it.
Sell your fanbase the shittier version for $50 only to release the definitive edition within the same year for ~$10 more or so

Rayderism

I already have RDR and Undead Nightmare on my PS3, which is still hooked up. But wouldn't this new "re-release" just HAVE to be better on PS4? I mean, the PS3 version runs at something like 640p and has a wildly fluctuating framerate. It certainly LOOKS better than the PS3 version in that YT vid. If that's what it will look like on PS4, and the framerate is stable, even if it is only 30fps, I'd say it would be worth the double-dip. Because it IS a great game, but the PS3 version hasn't aged well and looks muddy on modern HDTV's.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's a remaster my friends buuuuut hopefully they fix the clunky gameplay not sure Nintendos fans will like this after TOTK

These guys better doos better then Grovers Street Games or I'm gonna gets reeaaal mad

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If it has 60 fps, I will buy it eventually, but if it is only 30 fps then I will stay far away.

It's a game that still holds up reasonably well.

No way I will pay $50 for what will likely be a garbage port.

RDR deserved better.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Classic case of being so out of touch with the actual market and only looking at the bottom line. Was probably done as a simple exercise to retain the IP license. "If you dont use em, ya lose em" type of thing. There is no good intention here.
Switch has a huge install base, they’re trying to squeeze more money out of this title there and probably in emerging markets. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Jakk

If it has 60 fps, I will buy it eventually, but if it is only 30 fps then I will stay far away.

It's a game that still holds up reasonably well.

No way I will pay $50 for what will likely be a garbage port.

RDR deserved better.
Pretty sure it's going to be locked at 30 FPS, they would have mentioned it otherwise. It's also locked at 30 on Xbox.

I think this should have been also released for PC and run at 60 FPS. Asking $50 for 13 year old game with just bumped up resolution is ridiculous.

violence

Pretty sure it's going to be locked at 30 FPS, they would have mentioned it otherwise. It's also locked at 30 on Xbox.

I think this should have been also released for PC and run at 60 FPS. Asking $50 for 13 year old game with just bumped up resolution is ridiculous.
No PC release. 30 FPS confirmed as far as I’m concerned.

This game was almost a reason to buy an Xbox. Series S runs it at 1440 and stable 30 FPS. It was like a soft exclusive?

Exactly. That's why I think it could be real. Also, $20 more or so.
No, that would actually piss the fanbase more because they would've wasted the initial $50 investment on this port. It would be a suicidal move on R* part.
Especially since upon this release they put out no PR on an impending "Definitive" edition. It would be rightly seen as milking the consumers as if this isn't already seen as a money grab.

RoboCain

No, that would actually piss the fanbase more because they would've wasted the initial $50 investment on this port. It would be a suicidal move on R* part.
Especially since upon this release they put out no PR on an impending "Definitive" edition. It would be rightly seen as milking the consumers as if this isn't already seen as a money grab.
They created an artificial window for the PC version of GTA V to make people double dip. They sold the game three times. They charged for the Next Gen patch. People shat on them for months after the GTA trilogy fiasco, and their only response was "Well, we'll cancel our other remakes then". They are testing the waters to see how much they can get away with.

If they wait long enough people will just pay up to play their favorite game at premium quality.

Last edited:

Synless

It would be better if they did that instead of using the PS3 version. The PS3 version was inferior in pretty much every way.
Truth, havjng played the ps3 version it was crazy how shit it was. it’s amazing GTAV on ps3 turned out better when it released.

I'm assuming nothing has been said about resolution? I have a Series S so I can play it at 1440p but would rather play on PS5. I'm whatever on 30fps but 4K would be amazing.

I already have RDR and Undead Nightmare on my PS3, which is still hooked up. But wouldn't this new "re-release" just HAVE to be better on PS4? I mean, the PS3 version runs at something like 640p and has a wildly fluctuating framerate. It certainly LOOKS better than the PS3 version in that YT vid. If that's what it will look like on PS4, and the framerate is stable, even if it is only 30fps, I'd say it would be worth the double-dip. Because it IS a great game, but the PS3 version hasn't aged well and looks muddy on modern HDTV's.
You would hope that the PS4 version runs better, but you never know these days.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
That would make more sense honestly

It would be better if they did that instead of using the PS3 version. The PS3 version was inferior in pretty much every way.

It would also be easier to do. Also since the ps4 is basically a pc which means a real PC port is easy to do now.

360 version is betters than Grovers Street Games remarster

true

The ride into Mexico is still one of my top 3 moments in gaming.

Was there a big difference between the two? I've only played it on 360.

There are a bunch of comparisons. Usually the 360 had better draw distance, textures on many object, shadows, (frame rate which doesn't count on a port) more....

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Was there a big difference between the two? I've only played it on 360.

It was better in pretty much every way. Higher resolution, better draw distance, better anti aliasing, better average performance.

PS3 version was far from a bad game, the 360 version was just better in pretty much every way.

This game is easily worth paying full price for. Moreso than most games released today, and definitely moreso than RDR2. 🤷‍♂️

If this is 1080p30 locked on PS4 I'll buy it instantly to play on PS5, amazing that they're releasing it on disc too.

Top Bottom