• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

So you're saying it's fine for a game at release to be like an early access title?

This is basically saying that the game at release is still a game in development because Sean has already stated this isn't the final product as they're going to release dlc as well as "possibly paid dlc".

No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying over the course of development, the game changes and evolves. Some things get added, plenty of stuff gets dropped. Holding a developer to something they said as concrete and definitive when it was said months, a year or even longer ago is a bit unrealistic. That's not to say that they were clear about everything, but looking at every interview that was ever done and every word that was said and taking all that as what should be in the final game is unrealistic.

thumb

Banned
It's funny how the internet (GAF included) crucified Hello Games for every single delay the title went through just to get the what was released out the door. Now they're being crucified for releasing it with the missing features. I shudder to think at the reaction if they had delayed it an additional year to get it at 100%. Yet because people wanted it sooner, to the point that delay announcements produced death threats, we are where we are today.

Are you saying that you have inside information that Hello Games wanted to delay the game yet more to add the missing features, but failed to do so because of community pressure? That's an extraordinary claim that requires evidence.

Loudninja

But you can engage in space battles between two factions. I did it yesterday.
Wow. I am going through that list and there are a few bullshit items.

You can scan planets from orbit yet this list says you can't. What you don't get is the same number of waypoints that pop up. It's usually just one.

One of them complains that the ships don't fly like ships. They fly like ships to me.
Good to know,people are still learning new things.

LTRytAw.jpg

qcf x2

Not really. Molyneux's modus operandi is promising things off-the-cuff that were never in the game. Murray and his team removed features that were in the game and shown to be working. That's a huge difference. Those features were probably not working to his satisfaction, either from a game design POV or stability. The main problem with Murray is his lack of clear communication. I don't think he was trying to play a shell game at all. But I know many in this thread will continue to think that.

I think you're spot on with this. Edit: I will add that I've seen one "river." That's out of probably 20 worlds, probably 8 of which had water.

Copying my post from the OT

Some of the things on this list are blatantly false, others are clear design optimizations here are my thoughts going through each section with some refutations, and some general comments

- Yes every planet has some amount of plutonium, zinc or titanium, and platinum, but this is probably just because they don't want anyone getting stranded on a planet with no plutonium from which they can never take off. Also there are some extremely rare elements which I've only found on one planet in my entire time playing (~30 hours). It's kind of like in Minecraft, anywhere you dig you're going to find Iron and dirt, but you might not necessarily find Diamonds or Redstone.

- You can totally blow up freighters and I've seen some big fleets of them all locked in combat with pirates. I was able to join either side, and fight. The space combat is pretty lacking admittedly, but this is totally feasible and LOOKS super cool even if it isn't that satisfying to play with my base ship.
- NPCS run on trade routes and you can follow one down all the way to the surface, admittedly it doesn't look like they can land anywhere, but does that really add anything? They're not getting out of their ship anyways, so having a concrete place to find them makes more sense anyways.

- I've seen desert planets, though mine was red

-Planets do rotate, and they explicitly said they toned it down, because people were getting disoriented. Could be wrong on this I haven't actually confirmed if this is true after update 1.03
- Flying between star systems manually sounds like a great way to kill myself out of boredom, though admittedly it would be cool to find random stuff floating out in space, I'd much rather they focus their effort on the core gameplay, which as is evident still has more higher priorities than this to address.

No comment, I agree ship customization and flight controls feel underbaked, I hope they address this in the future.

- You could technically play solely in space, I've found all the components I need to upgrade my ship from mining asteroids as well as valuable minerals depending on the system. You could totally walk around and talk to creatures/find everything you need from loot boxes. I wouldn't want to do it but it is technically possible, and pretty damn good if you find a planet that has lots of high valuable items to find.

- Crafting is guided by blueprints, but I know I for sure haven't found all the materials or recipes to construct. I've found TWO compound elements so far and found evidence of at least 4 more, so I think the crafting system is deeper than it appears at first glance. I'm guessing there's stuff hidden no one has seen yet (Atlas Pass V3/Portals anyone?)

I've seen animals eat animals, I've seen animals knocking down trees (not sure if this was a bug though), and I've seen low flying giant eels. These things are pretty rare though, so it's not surprising that people think it's not there. I've spent 30 hours playing and I've seen maybe 1 really large scale creature, and even that was the size of a modest dinosaur.

- There are rivers, I've seen them on a few ocean planets.
- I haven't seen any truly large structures except a giant piece of road that was stuck in the middle of a desert (still only 1 ruin location though), but I also wonder if these might exist around more exotic stars, I've only been to F Class systems so far. For example I saw a picture of a new type of large scale monolith I've never seen on Reddit just today.

Yeah sentinel combat seems to be something you have to opt into except on graviton/venom sac planets, I'm not that upset since the gunplay feels more like a gear check than actually skill based, but I can see why this would disappoint some people. Then again I haven't landed on any high security planets and actually tried to do anything with this.

- I already hate how noisy the system for waypoints is to the point I will never ever scan from my ship, please don't add giant beacons of light.
- Binoculars marking buildings seems to flakily work, very occassionally it will mark what I'm looking at with its actual purpose, but it seems to be very finicky.
- Radio chatter in space in alien languages would be a great addition, seems pretty easy to do too, hope this comes lataer.

Socreges

Banned
Honestly it kind of sound like feature creep and would have delayed the game for 1/2 more years.
But yes, he should have been more careful about what was said.
Feature creep is when the CUSTOMER is wanting to add features in and it's up to the SUPPLIER to manage the shit out of that. The onus of feature creep (or scope creep) is entirely on the project team. Apparently they kept saying 'Yeah' instead of saying 'We want to look into that' or 'Maybe in a future update'. It's really basic and they got it so wrong.

Bad7667

It's funny how the internet (GAF included) crucified Hello Games for every single delay the title went through just to get the what was released out the door. Now they're being crucified for releasing it with the missing features. I shudder to think at the reaction if they had delayed it an additional year to get it at 100%. Yet because people wanted it sooner, to the point that delay announcements produced death threats, we are where we are today.

That's fair, but I can't say I was ever quite addicted to Destiny the same way I am with this game. I have cravings at work to keep playing, that hasn't happened with a game for me in quite a while.

Wait, so you know this is true? What an amazing way to brush aside the issues with it.

Man, if only all the people wanting to play the game had just told Hello Games too take their time, the game would've ended up better. Good job internet!

People are really invested, aren't they?

Not surprised at all. People were hilariously emotionally attached to the game, long before it was released. Quite a few tried to be sensible, and tell people to calm down and not expect everything to make it or be half as good as it seems. But the pre order culture among gamers will keep going strong, because waiting a week is just too much, might as well not play it then.

Banned
Sean Murray walking down the street Hello Games studio is on, sees the press standing outside the front door.

omgwtf.gif

MrGerbils

Games change in the course of development. Most of their bullshit "GOTCHA!" moments are from interviews where someone was talking to a developer, on a small team, about a game he was in the process of making.

I guess some people only want AAA titles that run through a huge corporate PR machine to filter out what information is released via some suit who's not actually involved in the game's production.

Ugh all this entitled whining, vitriol, and internet detective bullshit is one tiny whiff away from some GG style, "Actually, it's about ethics in gaming advertisement" bullshit.

joecanada

So I have a question

is there some kind of hack or cheat that would just fill up my inventory with every kind of resource?

I've only been following this game since release (It just didn't look that interesting to me from all the press) and I'm fairly bored, so I'd be up for just actually exploring and looking up story bits. But I am NOT going to spend hours of my life shooting rocks to collect minerals.

If there is a way to cut out the busy work of the game and just explore the environments, I might be up for that. Is there anything like that available?

I still maintain that this game serves as a great framework for mods so I am waiting to see if the mod community takes it on.... I think alot of complaints I see could be modded out or improved

I feel like i was the only one that knew exactly what i was buying, i'm a simple man, i see what i like , i buy it and enjoy the content. I cant be bothered with this was cut .. that was cut gibberish.

Hektor

Why is that?

Because Sean Murray is very genuine and honest.

Games change in the course of development. Most of their bullshit "GOTCHA!" moments are from interviews where someone was talking to a developer, on a small team, about a game he was in the process of making.

I guess some people only want AAA titles that run through a huge corporate PR machine to filter out what information is released via some suit who's not actually involved in the game's production.

Ugh all this entitled whining, vitriol, and internet detective bullshit is one tiny whiff away from some GG style, "Actually, it's about ethics in gaming advertisement" bullshit.

lol

Oof.

Maybe a group of 10 people shouldn't promise so much. To be fair, what did the fans expect by a team of only 10 people?
Correct me if I'm wrong about the team size.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times before and it baffles me.

What do I care how big their team is? If you ask for $60 I expect a $60 experience. Most indies usually ask far less for their games that's why they get a break, not 'cause of their team size.

213372bu

Banned
Copying my post from the OT
This was already debunked, thanks for the post though:
Proof required. Yes, the patch notes said they "toned down" the effect...we already know they've been less than honest about a lot of other aspects of the game, maybe in Seanspeak "toned down" means "removed completely." There are numerous observations and quotes from players that currently planets do not rotate, nor do they revolve around the sun.

Not an example of something false/wrong. It's just saying "yes it's correct but you shouldn't care," and who are you to say what might disappoint any given person?

Same as above

Again, nothing disproven. The crafting system is no deeper than what you've already experienced.

Proof needed. Animals don't eat animals. They just aggro on them like they would players, and leave the corpses where they sit. If you think you see it happen and can't find the other animal it's due to a glitch and not because it was "eaten." And animals simply clip through foliage.

Yet again, something not in the game that you're just saying you don't want, nevermind others who might want it. Regardless of all else it's still a difference from the game as it had been shown previously.

Overall a very poor rebuttal, attempting to present itself like an imposing list of corrections but half the items leave the Reddit post unchallenged and the rest are suspect.

I dunno it seems like they released the game in such a state that it can be built upon

I mean this is like Destiny launch levels of heat against a team a mere fraction of the size

Seems unfair and its not like they under delivered completely.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying over the course of development, the game changes and evolves. Some things get added, plenty of stuff gets dropped. Holding a developer to something they said as concrete and definitive when it was said months, a year or even longer ago is a bit unrealistic. That's not to say that they were clear about everything, but looking at every interview that was ever done and every word that was said and taking all that as what should be in the final game is unrealistic.

The scrutiny only really occured because of a lack of clarity on a couple of higher profile issues, leading people to dig deeper. More of a "well if this doesn't seem to be here and they're being quiet on the issue, what else are we not being told" sort of thing.

Wait death threats?

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/736686755139719168

Tagyhag

You got some loose standards of being taken advantage of I guess

People acting like Hello Games showed up at their door and mugged them while leaving them with a blank disc

Nah, just a customer who would prefer to receive all the features of a product that are advertised for it if they're going to be paying money for it. If a feature can't make it, I'd like for it to be told CLEARLY and ahead of time.

If that makes me entitled then so be it.

tcrunch

We've just started work on No Man's Sky 2 (don't worry, half the team is still at it on your FREE content updates). We've listened to all the feedback, and we've integrated a lot of new features that we hope will give players a more reactive, more complex experience. We are aiming at another premium $60 entry, which I hope isn't too much, but you have to understand we are a small team devoting our lives to this vision of a bigger and better universe.

/Sean Murray voice

Good to know,people are still learning new things.

Yeah, I had to shoot down 11 ships in order to win the battle, and there were two star destroyer-looking things shooting at each other. I accidentally shot one of my allies, which led the star destroyer to target me, and I had to jet out of there after finishing off the original 11 they asked of me.

MrGerbils

Much of the internet was also super pissed at how little Sean would talk about the game before release (it was still in development, and I'm sure he wasn't positive on what might still change), and now that it's out people are pissed that he talked about too much (stuff that ended up having to get cut or changed for whatever reason).

DataGhost

Then what do you do when before the game is released when hardly any information of the game is let out. You have to admit, other than a scant few trailers (from years past) they haven't let what the game is about or what you can do be known other than the four trailers a few months back.

What can we expect from a game if the developer doesn't say any concrete, definitive features and we get short clips of gameplay? We have some assume there's going to be everything ( hype-trainers). We have some who assume there's going to be nothing ( cautious people )

If you followed the game, then when we finally got the four trailers last month that didn't really explain it's features, what do you expect? People are going to go into interviews and the like to listen to hear from the developer himself.

Yeah and when plans change you let the people following your game know about the reduction in scope/features. Maybe not for every single detail, but seriously people shouldn't have to datamine to determine whether any multiplayer code is present at all.

Ridiculous attempt to associate people you don't like with something far worse. I guess this is the gaming equivalent of "you are literally Hitler" now?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played NMS and won't until it hits the $20 mark but it's funny seeing so many people upset and angry over a video game. Every game promises stuff that eventually doesn't happen. People take what all these companies say way too literally. For those who are pissed off or unhappy with the game, just go return it, sell it, trade it, etc. and move on to another game.

This is just another example of gamers on the internet overhyping a certain game and when it's not what they were fully dreaming it would be, they complain to no end. If I was still like this, I would still be bitching about Madden but seriously, what's even the point in doing so?

Gamers need to play the games for what they are, not for what they want them to be. Do this and chances are, you'll enjoy more games and have more fun playing games.

The scrutiny only really occured because of a lack of clarity on a couple of higher profile issues, leading people to dig deeper. More of a "well if this doesn't seem to be here and they're being quiet on the issue, what else are we not being told" sort of thing.

I mean, again: benefit of the doubt. You're Sean. You've just seen the internet dig up every single interview you've ever done for every single quote that could possibly be construed as a lie. What are you going to do?

Loudninja

Yeah, I had to shoot down 11 ships in order to win the battle, and there were two star destroyer-looking things shooting at each other. I accidentally shot one of my allies, which led the star destroyer to target me, and I had to jet out of there after finishing off the original 11 they asked of me.
That sounds pretty awesome.

jman2050

I mean, if it prevents stuff like this from happening I can see why companies do it that way.

People being annoyed and frustrated isn't unfounded as they didn't do a great job of communicating which features wouldn't make it in for launch, but holy shit is the internet overreacting to a legendary degree. I guess it shouldn't have been hard to see it coming when people practically built a fucking church around the game before release.

213372bu

Banned
I distinctly recall a GAFer in the NMS OT report landing on a sand planet with a giant worm.

There's also a poster claiming that animals eat other animals.

Unfortunately it's unfounded and relatively suspicious.

The Sand planet with a giant worm is specifically from a trailer clip IIRC.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The list is actually a lot shorter than I was expecting considering all the noise some are making around the internet.

Hopefully some of that stuff will make its way into the game as DLC.

As for me, I'm enjoying it reasonably well!

Since we saw some things in trailers and previews not in the final release I can only assuming 1 thing:

--Sony forced them to meet a stricter deadline than "whenever it's done" and they had to cut out unfinished features in order to get the game stable enough for release.

Sony probably got tired of waiting for a release date (like everyone else in the world), forced Hello Games to give a ballpark date, and from that point on Hello Games probably started cutting unfinished features from the game they may have shown off or talked about in previews and interviews.

They probably even cut MORE stuff out that wasn't ready yet during the 2 month delay from June right up until August 9.

I think Sean and Hello Games would have taken their sweet time getting everything stable and implemented if Sony hadn't told them to get it finished faster. So, thanks to Sony, the game is now out, but it's missing a ton of shit that they didn't have enough time to finish.

Sean and Sony will NEVER admit this due to money and contracts.

But that's what I believe.

spectator

I mean this is like Destiny launch levels of heat against a team a mere fraction of the size

Seems unfair and its not like they under delivered completely.

It's not the size of the team, it's the breadth of the promises. If their team isn't big enough to deliver, they have two options:

1. Enlarge the team

2. Don't make promises they can't keep

yikes thats actually pretty bad not sure how it can be defend , Peter Moly got dismantled for doing stuff like that, buuuuuuuuuuuut i am curious if "Free" DLC will put all those ideas back into the game

GP_Socks

Banned
Even without knowing of the missing features, I don't have the game yet because the concept and gameplay vids alone haven't justified the $60 price tag.

Top Bottom