• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit: leaked Paper Mario TTYD 3D? (Real or Fake)

Let's clear this up for all future "leaks": Anything that shows the bare minimum is automatically fake. If he could have pressed a button to show another screen or menu, and didn't, it's fake. If he could have shown you the cartridge and didn't, it's fake. If he could have shown you the bottom screen and didn't, it's fake. If he uploaded a five-second clip of the title screen instead of a ten-minute gameplay video, it's fake. If the video has no sound, it's fake.

Doesn't most of this apply to the Smash 4 roster leaks?

Converse

Banned
I'd rather have re-releases on handhelds. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are much better experiences on the 3DS and it is not only because of the upgraded graphics.

Plus, handheld games are cheaper :3

Different strokes. While I agree that the Zelda games are definitely improved in the transition from N64 to 3DS, I have kind of an archivist mindset about it. My feeling is that, in a media that's saturated with re-makes, re-releases, and re-boots, video games are the medium that actually benefits the most from this trend. I prioritize image quality, and I love to see classics translated to modern standards in that regard. I had no bones about paying an extra $10 to get the Wind Waker HD compared to Ocarina 3D.

But, anyway, this is fake as all get-out.

Oli

More (equally suspicious) video leaks:

bwTWE4w.gif

And a youtube video (for now)

Grief.exe

If this was real it'd definitely sell me on a New 3DS. I never played this game and it looks damn good.

There shouldn't be a technical reason why this would be locked to new 3DS. Any platform lock would be arbitrary rather than necessary, Xenoblade.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Let's clear this up for all future "leaks": Anything that shows the bare minimum is automatically fake. If he could have pressed a button to show another screen or menu, and didn't, it's fake. If he could have shown you the cartridge and didn't, it's fake. If he could have shown you the bottom screen and didn't, it's fake. If he uploaded a five-second clip of the title screen instead of a ten-minute gameplay video, it's fake. If the video has no sound, it's fake.
7epqFJU.jpg

I'm going with fake, but that'd be super cool. Hopefully it's not New 3DS exclusive, but I'd guess it would be if we're just getting it now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
But with the Smash leak that was new content for a game we knew was in development, and only a month away...getting a leak made sense.

This is a leak of a ported old game, meaning it'd be very easy to fake at a bare minimum since everything is there more or less, and hasn't even been announced yet so it's unlikely we'd see it being played on a 3DS like that.

I don't think they're comparable.

EulaCapra

I guess this will be good for those that have never played it before? So let's hope it's not fake for them.

I could go either way. It'll be 10,000x better than Sticker Star but it'll still be a 11-year old port of a sequel that demands a true sequel with party members and everything.

J@hranimo

Banned
This guy has gotta work harder to convince me.

Artsy Omni permanently raised the bar man, raised it!

Still calling fake :)

and honestly I'd want there to be an HD remake on Wii U if anything. It would be godlike in 1080p

I think a redone Paper Mario 1 with better visuals and a harder difficulty would be more exciting than a port of Thousand Year Door, tbh. If this is even real, it looks exactly the same. A remake of the original game that gives it a facelift would be infinitely cooler and more worthwhile than... the same game we've played verbatim.

I'd like to hear your reasoning. I used to like both games equally, but through the years and after many replays, It's getting to the point where I prefer PM64 over TTYD. I was never sure why, though, since TTYD is better than PM64 in almost every way, or so I assume.

Maybe your insight can light a candle on all this.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeeeeeah Wynnebeck? I'm gonna need you to explain why you think TTYD was terrible compared to PM64 besides "lol it's bad cause I said so gaf"

I'm really curious.

The gif in the OP is to me not yet debunked. The bottom screen of the pic below does seem iffy so that might be fake.

All of these could be different sources. But all at the same time though does reduce the odds of it being real. Especially if the two in the OP are from the same person. Hell it's lose-lose; if it's the same person then the "off-ness" of the bottom screen debunks it. But if they're different sources, that makes it too convenient for them to come out at the same time as if this ruse was planned from the start.

While playing TTYD I felt no joy.

I wouldn't say my time with the game was joyless past the first 10 or so playthroughs, but I start to notice how PM64 had way more charm overall. I can see the argument for TTYD's story being "deeper", however, just because a story is deeper doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Not trying to say TTYD lacks charm but it definitely lacks something that PM64 had. What exactly, I'm not quite sure.

Dr. Buni

It is not wrong. That is called an opinion. This kind of post shouldn't be allowed here... I don't think TTYD is terrible*, but why not respect the other poster's opinion?

*It was only boring as hell. Both Paper Mario and Super were far more entertaining and charming.

Not sure if posted yet, but this is from the Sticker Star Iwata Asks:
Iwata: We imagined rather early on that Paper Mario would be a good match for the Nintendo 3DS, and the papercraft atmosphere of the actual prototype was good.
Tanabe: That was about three years ago, at the end of 2009.

Aoyama: At the beginning of development, we were simply incorporating an idea making use of the stereoscopic display function. Then at the 2010 E3, before release of the Nintendo 3DS, we revealed several images.

Iwata: So why did it drag on until now?

Aoyama: After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.

Iwata Asks

Vuapol

This is totally fake, unfortunately, as most of these types of 'leaks' are.
Smash ESRB of course being the exception.

But I am completely on board, so long as this doesn't take away from the development of Paper Mario Wii U.
Which is an RPG.
With Partners.
Or else.

I'd love a Thousand Year Door remake. I never finished it the first time as my memory card was corrupted and I just never had the heart to start all over again and risk a corruption repeat. So, Nintendo, since you're listening, cue this up next after Xenoblade please~

Aoyama: After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.
I think I need to go and lie down for a bit...

Top Bottom