• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

The whole "free speech" stuff is so frustrating too, because it's so often used by people in the alt-right to not face consequences for what they say. Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. CNN isn't stopping this guy from saying anything he wants. He's shitting himself and apologizing because he may actually face the consequences of his speech, which is a very different thing.
It all ties into the dream of the alt-right though which is to go back to the good old days when you you could do or say anything you want without consequences... If you're the right color and gender that is.

Once again I blame Mad Men for all of this. Damn you Jon Hamm!!!

BigDes

Please excuse me for my ignorance, but would someone explain to me why people are up in arms over a wrestling gif or is it more than the gif?

I haven't watched any news over the holiday, so I'm completely lost when I saw the news this morning.

Thanks.

Donald Trump's entire time in office has been one of trying to demonize the press as fundamentally corrupt and untrustworthy.

The wrestling gif when posted in isolation is relatively harmless, but nothing is done in isolation. When you look at how this was retweeted by the standing President of the United States in the context of his open hostility toward the press, and a GOP who already have one member of congress on video body slamming a reporter, it is starting to look a lot like an open incitement to violence toward the Press.

Something I am sure you will agree is hugely concerning when coming from the United States government itself.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Half the posts in this thread just reinforce the idea that bigotry and hate don't matter at all to people who aren't targets.

Country's fucked
Why haven't you stopped to consider how Hanassholesolo feels about all this? He's the REAL victim here. Think about his future.

I really don't understand this blackmail nonsense. People on Twitter are talking about a First Amendment violation by CNN for putting his name out there. Don't stay stupid offensive shit if you don't want to back it up under your true identity. Trying to hide behind an online persona just shows that he knew what was being said was fucked up to begin with.
The founding fathers had internet anonymity in mind the whole time.

Yo remember that time Reddit refused to do anything about jailbait until Anderson Cooper 360'd their ass?

Maybe he'll do a special on THE D.

BigDes

At some point 4chan/reddit will realize that not having this guy's name will hurt the narrative of how CNN 'doxxed' him and will do it themselves.

I'm still confused about why the identity of a guy who made a GIF is important enough to publish in a news article. He might be a neo-nazi or a KKK grand wizard but if the shoe is on the other foot, is it still acceptable? Would Trump and Fox News be in the right if they "reserved the right" to publish the ID of someone making critical GIFs of them?

A White Supremacist made a gif about the President, THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, beating up a media outlet. The President then retweeted it on both his personal account and the OFFICIAL ACCOUNT OF THE U.S. PRESIDENT. This is absolutely something that should be reported on.

Cheezus said:
I'm as liberal as they come but this doesn't feel right. It looks petty and vindictive.

It's a news outlet reporting a newsworthy item. You may be liberal, but you seem to lack common sense.

Cheezus

Because Trump tweeted it as an official statement of the White House read the fucking thread dude.

I hope everyone remembers this the next time anyone tries to tell you that Reddit isn't literally a haven of bigots and bigot-sympathizers.

That's Trump's business, the guy didn't put his name on the GIF or take credit for it, and didn't personally ask Trump to retweet it. Trump probably got it from a source several thousand times removed from where it originally came from, I don't know see how the original maker of the GIF is a relevant component of the story. To me all this does is drag people into a national story for no reason. I get the desire to punish racist douchebags but nothing about this makes sense to me at all.

That's Trump's business, the guy didn't put his name on the GIF or take credit for it, and didn't personally ask Trump to retweet it. Trump probably got it from a source several thousand times removed from where it originally came from, I don't know see how the original maker of the GIF is a relevant component of the story. To me all this does is drag people into a national story for no reason. I get the desire to punish racist douchebags but nothing about this makes sense to me at all.

He actually did take credit for it lol, he was super stoked that his god emperor retweeted his dumb shit until CNN asked for a comment.

If he was a Black man talking about murdering White people none of the good folks here advocating about free fucking speech or chewing out CNN for revealing his identity would defend him. You'd be perfectly fine with his identity being revealed due to the vile things he said.

If he was a Muslim man talking about murdering White people none of the good folks here advocating about free fucking speech or chewing out CNN for revealing his identity would defend him. You'd be perfectly fine with his identity being revealed due to the vile things he said

Yoy would be outraged that after a fake ass apology cnn decided not to reveal his name because he's lose his job and has a family.

Some of y'all are hypocrites.

Let us not forget the PRESIDENT tried to blackmail two TV personalities into giving him positive coverage by threatening to put false negative stories about them in a tabloid rag.

This is clearly an attempt by his cult to distract from that.

If he was a Black man talking about murdering White people none of the good folks here advocating about free fucking speech or chewing out CNN for revealing his identity would defend him. You'd be perfectly fine with his identity being revealed due to the vile things he said.

If he was a Muslim man talking about murdering White people none of the good folks here advocating about free fucking speech or chewing out CNN for revealing his identity would defend him. You'd be perfectly fine with his identity being revealed due to the vile things he said

Yoy would be outraged that after a fake ass apology cnn decided not to reveal his name because he's lose his job and has a family.

Temp allies

BigDes

Oh come now, this is completely unrealistic

If he were either of these he would have been shot by a SWAT team already

Alucrid

Banned

it would make sense that nothing makes sense considering that you seemed to not read anything on it

lets look at the first line in the CNN article

"The Reddit user who initially claimed credit for President Donald Trump's tweet that showed Trump tackling CNN issued an apology Tuesday for the video and other offensive content he posted -- one day after CNN identified the man behind the account and attempted to make contact with him."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He actually did take credit for it lol, he was super stoked that his god emperor retweeted his dumb shit until CNN asked for a comment.

"Wooo I got noticed by him! MAGA baby I'm cumming so hard!"
"Excuse me Mr "HanAssholeSolo", we'd like to ask some questions. Including one about this picture where you say we're all Jewish?"
"... I deeply regret everything I did and I was just joking."

Let us not forget the PRESIDENT tried to blackmail two TV personalities into giving him positive coverage by blackmailing them with threats to put fake negative stories about them in a tabloid rag.

I doubt that will work. Especially when Joe & Mika will likely bring it up again and again.

I can't wait to see their plan when Mueller comes out with something major.

III-V

At some point 4chan/reddit will realize that not having this guy's name will hurt the narrative of how CNN 'doxxed' him and will do it themselves.

I agree. They need a hero and a narrative to continue the discussion and HanAssholeSolo is the guy.

Currently he is being re-invented as a victim and a youth.

CNN is calling Donald Trump Jr a liar and reminding people that this troll is a middle aged man, not a 15 year old.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/882580334470213632
My God, those comments.

The lesson CNN will learn from this is to not shield identies for the sake of misplaced kindness again. Trump made him news and he seemed more than excited to take credit for it. In their attempt to try to not look pretty they gave his cause more fuel for the fire.

Pickman

In the course of investigative journalism, information is uncovered. It's the process. It's also the norm, when that information is uncovered, for it to be made public when it has relevance to the story.

In this case, Trump shared a dumb meme of him beating on CNN, that was made by a 30-something internet troll. This guy freaked and got super excited in r/The_Donald that the "EMPORER" had shared his gif on Twitter.

CNN's investigators did their usual job in a situation where something like this was making huge strides in the news. They dug (not very far) and found out this guy's information, and reached out to him for comment. The guy immediately realized that the veil of anonymity he used was suddenly stripped away and he panicked. He deleted all of his reddit comment history then deleted his account (He had some winners, like how when he travels to the south he takes his gun with him because it's "n****r repellent") and wrote a public apology to try to get ahead of the whole thing.

Now, CNN has every right to publish this person's information. They are party to a story that has gained traction on tons of news networks, regardless of the fact it's aimed their way. What CNN has said, instead, is that instead of going down the normal route of investigative journalism, they've decided this party doesn't need to be made public in light of the fact he's apologized, shown remorse, and has basically done all he can on his side to maintain his anonymity. They're stepping back from the publication process, and in publishing their statement regarding this guy, suggesting in a way that other journalists should do the same. There's nothing that stops someone from the WSJ or Fox News from doing the same rabbit hole research CNN has done to find this guy and publish his identity. CNN further went on to say that, should this guy do something newsworthy in the future, that fact may chance. If he doubled down and decided to become part of the narrative of the story again, they'd publish his information. That's the gist of what they were putting forward.

I don't think it was blackmail in any way shape or form.

BigDes

Let us not forget the PRESIDENT tried to blackmail two TV personalities into giving him positive coverage by threatening to put false negative stories about them in a tabloid rag.

Let's not forget that the President tried to get a reporter fired for mistakenly reporting the bust of Martin Luther King had been removed from the Oval Office, a story that was redacted and apologized for less than 24 hours later.

Let's not forget that the current President mocked a disabled reporter during one of his campaign rallies.

Let's not forget that the White House tried to ban live recordings of White House briefings

Let's not forget that the daily White House press briefing is now the occasional White House pres briefing

Let's not forget all the active ways that this administration is trying to undermine and demonize the press.

If I was going to blackmail someone, I'd certainly do it by making a boilerplate statement that I reserve the right to release more information about the person should the story continue to be newsworthy and not...you know...in private or something.

marrec

Banned
If I was going to blackmail someone, I'd certainly do it by making a boilerplate statement that I reserve the right to release more information about the person should the story continue to be newsworthy and not...you know...in private or something.
Don't you see, they're blackmailing the whole damn internet.

Order

Realest thing posted itt

Yeah, all the people talking about how it's just a gif are being outrageously obtuse. Like, unbelievably dense.

It *was* a random gif, then it was retweeted by the *President of the United States of America,* which makes it a Big Fucking Deal on a whole lotta levels. THEN it turned out that (shocker!) this guy, who is apparently producing content the President believes is worth spreading around, is also a virulent racist and all around garbage person if you take him at his word. You are who you are in the dark after all.

In the light of this CNN using slightly dodgy phrasing when discussing why they chose not to reveal his personal information (which is entirely in the public interest, I feel) doesn't even register unless you're so wildly stupid that you're taking t_d narratives at face value or else are an actual t_d member. In either case I'm not sure how much your opinion counts for.

Cheezus

it would make sense that nothing makes sense considering that you seemed to not read anything on it

lets look at the first line in the CNN article

"The Reddit user who initially claimed credit for President Donald Trump's tweet that showed Trump tackling CNN issued an apology Tuesday for the video and other offensive content he posted -- one day after CNN identified the man behind the account and attempted to make contact with him."

I've read three different articles about this story and none of them focused on this detail. It's possible I missed it because I'm waist deep in midterms while this story has been coming out.

In the course of investigative journalism, information is uncovered. It's the process. It's also the norm, when that information is uncovered, for it to be made public when it has relevance to the story.

In this case, Trump shared a dumb meme of him beating on CNN, that was made by a 30-something internet troll. This guy freaked and got super excited in r/The_Donald that the "EMPORER" had shared his gif on Twitter.

CNN's investigators did their usual job in a situation where something like this was making huge strides in the news. They dug (not very far) and found out this guy's information, and reached out to him for comment. The guy immediately realized that the veil of anonymity he used was suddenly stripped away and he panicked. He deleted all of his reddit comment history then deleted his account (He had some winners, like how when he travels to the south he takes his gun with him because it's "n****r repellent") and wrote a public apology to try to get ahead of the whole thing.

Now, CNN has every right to publish this person's information. They are party to a story that has gained traction on tons of news networks, regardless of the fact it's aimed their way. What CNN has said, instead, is that instead of going down the normal route of investigative journalism, they've decided this party doesn't need to be made public in light of the fact he's apologized, shown remorse, and has basically done all he can on his side to maintain his anonymity. They're stepping back from the publication process, and in publishing their statement regarding this guy, suggesting in a way that other journalists should do the same. There's nothing that stops someone from the WSJ or Fox News from doing the same rabbit hole research CNN has done to find this guy and publish his identity. CNN further went on to say that, should this guy do something newsworthy in the future, that fact may chance. If he doubled down and decided to become part of the narrative of the story again, they'd publish his information. That's the gist of what they were putting forward.

I don't think it was blackmail in any way shape or form.

This was a nice clarification. In context it makes much more sense and I think like a lot of people are going to have the wrong reaction to it (like I did) because of the phrasing used in the CNN article and the lack of details in many news stories.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The best part of all this is that he basically admits it's just shitposting and trolling. Which is what I suspect almost all of the the_donald really is... people posting for the LOLZ.

The entire thing is a horribly done joke just like our President.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why are their ideas always so bad

Very simple minded people.
They know ISIS is bad, the world knows ISIS is bad, so they want people to hate this thing they hate just as much as ISIS.
Thing is, there's a difference between a news organization that sometimes gets things wrong (and has a really terrible style of TV news) and an extremist group that's raping and killing their way through the entire Middle East.

It's like the purest form of "X is Hitler".

The best part of all this is that he basically admits it's just shitposting and trolling. Which is what I suspect almost all of the the_donald really is... people posting for the LOLZ.

No, r/the_donald is a propaganda outlet and one we should take seriously.

Order

Uh huh

When white people say vile shit, it's always just for the lulz. It's not because they really have despicable views, it's all just a joke.

Top Bottom