• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
I find it absolutely bizarre that nobody knows anything about the handheld at this point. The only way I see this working out is if it's so similar to/tied in to the console that there isn't much that needs to be known by devs.

Handheld is probably only in the hands of TPC and select JP 3rd parties

Significantly less leaks on their side compared to the west

So, with a Smash Bros port does that mean there is going to be any extra content besides the DLC being on the disc? I really need some more Final Fantasy tracks...

We have no idea. The closest hint we have is Sakurai saying that while he's enjoyed his vacation, his "next project has been decided", plus a job listing for "Smash 6" from early 2014.

I think having addition content is what Nintendo should do though. It's the smart/logical thing to do.

(i absolutely feel your pain for final fantasy music ;_______;)

(the worst part is the new dissidia has a perfectly good FFVII remix they could've used :/)

It seems that most devs don't have any info on the HH. Might that give credence to the notion of Japan getting the HH in Q3 2016 and console in Q1 of 2017?. Because Japan would be the primary support of the hh sku so NCL would be wise to allocate dev kits there; hence no leaks/info of the hh from Western devs.

Edit. Portable Splatoon would kill in Japan

Schnozberry

I find it absolutely bizarre that nobody knows anything about the handheld at this point. The only way I see this working out is if it's so similar to/tied in to the console that there isn't much that needs to be known by devs.

Or it's releasing much later than people expected. Late 2017 possibly.

georly

So, with a Smash Bros port does that mean there is going to be any extra content besides the DLC being on the disc? I really need some more Final Fantasy tracks...

Those of us who feel like their favorite character *cough snake cough ice climbers* are really hopeful that smash 4 NX has more content. Mainly to provide us with a reason to upgrade other than "I can put my Wii U in the closet now"

Neoxon

Yup, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon all work because they are basically long-term service games for Nintendo, with a strong community emphasis. Makes sense to build off them as they're already established rather than starting from scratch.

Mario Kart is a one-per-console affair. It benefits more strongly from a ground-up release than those three.
Maybe for Super Mario Maker, sure. But Splatoon is a game that definitely needs a sequel to grow further (they've already ended major support via stages, brand new weapons that aren't reskins, etc.). As for Smash 4, development of that game concluded this past February, with Sakurai either still on his vacation or working on his new project. At least for Smash 4, it can buy Nintendo some time for another Smash game to be made in 4-5 years. But a Splatoon port, as stated earlier, is completely unnecessary given that they could easily crank out a sequel within a year (given the time it took for Splatoon as we know it to be made).

Donnie

I don't know, it still sounds like a big deal for the NX to me. It depends on what the power of the PS4K vs the NX ends up being but wouldn't people be more inclined to pick up the more powerful than the PS4 PS4K with the established userbase than the more powerful than PS4 NX that's the follow-up to the Wii U?

I imagine Nintendo thought they were going to put out the most powerful console on the market for a few years but now that doesn't seem as certain.

At least NX developers will be able to push the system to its limits without having to worry how the game will run on a little brother console. Having PS4 around could really hinder how much developers push PS4k IMO.

Doctre81

The only one of those ports that make a bit of sense to me outside of Zelda of course (which I still don't agree with) is Smash. If only because we may never see a true successor ever again.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't think you understood my post

No, I understood it, but more remasters aren't equivalent to backwards compatibility.

PowerPC alone should have confirmed it.

PS3 switched architectures and still kept it, but I wouldn't have expected that from Nintendo.

In fact for PS1 games it was kept permanently, despite them using the RISC architecture.

That's not even to go into how Microsoft has kept it, despite going from x86 to PowerPC and back to x86, also through emulation like with PS1 discs on PS3, rather than the hardware built into the original PS3.

But Nintendo is conservative, so I wouldn't expect them to follow Microsoft's (and formerly Sony's) lead. That doesn't mean an architecture shift alone has prevented backwards compatibility for the other two out of the big three in the past.

No, you definitely didn't. My point was that a remaster/port doesn't rule out BC. Especially so when it comes to games like Smash and MK which came with a lot of DLC and which most people who bought the Wii U version probably put a significant amount of money into. The NX ports wouldn't even have to include new content. They could serve as better performant (although Smash is already 1080p/60fps...) game of the year editions with all DLC included

No, no... Remasters at launch pretty much DO rule out BC.

-Horizon-

Always be conservative with Nintendo. Always.

I feel as though most posters quoting me weren't here for WUST. And my post is in no way inflammatory like some of the responses I'm getting are indicating.

PS4k rumors are indicating a minimum 2x increase in GPU performance. 30% is still nothing. And if the Xbox Pi or whatever it's gonna be called launches as well Nintendo will be in the exact same situation. Shit is eerily feeling like Wii U part 2. The benefit (hopefully) is that at the very least architecture will be shared. Of course this is all conjecture.

Hope I'm wrong but unless there have been serious structural and cultural changes in nintendos hardware philosophy and catering more to 3rd parties then I won't hold my breath. Until we get more info all we have are people's words and none of this sounds amazing to me, in fact it's fairly lackluster.

Oh, I was there from the "its awesome! easy to develop for!" to the "cryengine isn't supported lol" to "~400 something flops!".

of course its best to take things more realistically but we know so little about any of the upcoming consoles or how the audience would react to it to even the devs

heck, it all comes down to whether the devs will forsake their current userbase and hope most of them begin migrating to the ps4k that they'll think its worthwhile. Otherwise, it'll just be a hardcore gamer only machine for 4k streaming and better VR

I'm going to miss backwards compatibility (always do), but at least cross-play being in development indicates that Nintendo isn't dropping the servers any time soon.

I like it. The anime is kind of on hold now, the manga is still going on though. Lots of cooking action lol.

Good to know. Is Dagashi Kashi good too? I've seen some promo stuff for Dagashi Kashi before and noticed the purple haired character from it on an earlier avatar you had. I haven't even seen One Punch Man because I've been very busy for a while, but that Dagashi Kashi and Erased (or Boku dake ga inai machi) all seem to be relatively highly recommended shows that have come up recently.

Neoxon

Kinda sad about the lack of handheld info as that is what im really interested in. Ah well.
As stated earlier by someone else, if we're getting a handheld form factor, it's likely that only Japanese devs have the details for it (& I'm guessing that they do better with keeping their mouths shut).

orioto

Good Art™
Maybe there are no leaks on the handled cause it has a more Japanese support. The home console has leaks cause western devs knows about it.

Anyway excited for that PS4+ power. I still think it won't really change anything for Nintendo, demographic wise. BUT hell, i love Nintendo artists, and they will output dreams for our eyes.

Kouriozan

Splatoon still has incredible legs in Japan, banking on it by release a definitive version port with more stuff would be a good idea, then release a sequel 1 year later.

Alebrije

Do not fail me Nintendo , NX more powerfull than PS4 is a must. Time to see games like GTA on a Nintendo console.

Power does not guarantee that but is a step closer

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People in here are overestimating the PS4K effect. Even if the systems are relatively close in power, it's a colossal difference from where the Wii U was in reference to the other systems.

Maybe for Super Mario Maker, sure. But Splatoon is a game that definitely needs a sequel to grow further (they've already ended major support via stages, brand new weapons that aren't reskins, etc.). As for Smash 4, development of that game concluded this past February, with Sakurai either still on his vacation or working on his new project (likely the former). At least for Smash 4, it can buy Nintendo some time for another Smash game to be made in 4-5 years. But a Splatoon port, as stated earlier, is completely unnecessary given that they could easily crank out a sequel within a year (given the time it took for Splatoon as we know it to be made).

1. A Splatoon port to establish the system for a new audience while keeping the current community happy does not preclude a sequel or expansion later down the line. It's an appetizer, kind of like how the Nathan Drake Collection on PS4 helped to satiate the wait for Uncharted 4 for hardcore fans, while drawing in newcomers.

2. We have no idea what Sakurai's up to. We shouldn't rule out the possibility of additional content being his new project. But either way, we know it's happening and the nature of the game (one-a-console affair that takes years to develop and is a toll on Sakurai and Nintendo's budget, large community, importance to the FGC, appealing to hardcore and casual gamers, a lot of work went into the Wii U version despite it being the lowest-selling console...) means that a port makes sense. A sequel would have to be either super-rushed, or at least 5-6 years away. And by then NX would be old news.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm going to miss backwards compatibility (always do), but at least cross-play being in development indicates that Nintendo isn't dropping the servers any time soon.

I think at this moment in time it's a sacrifice that each hardware maker had to make. I feel BC will be there with the Xbox Two, PS5 and NX 2.0

It's in the post. I don't know if that May 9th date is real. It sounds fake, but some sources said they'd look into it.

Ok, that didn't originally come from your sources though if I understood. Look forward to hearing more if they can get any details.

It's in the post. I don't know if that May 9th date is real. It sounds fake, but some sources said they'd look into it.

I wish they would reveal it sooner rather than later. I know it's supposed to be part of the excitement, all the rumours, claims, gossip but it's starts to become farcical after a while. No offence to anyone with credible links or knowledge, if what you have posted is genuine then thank you but after the hype surrounding Wii U before its reveal I think scepticism is understandable

No, I understood it, but more remasters aren't equivalent to backwards compatibility.

No, you definitely didn't. My point was that a remaster/port doesn't rule out BC. Especially so when it comes to games like Smash and MK which came with a lot of DLC and which most people who bought the Wii U version probably put a significant amount of money into. The NX ports wouldn't even have to include new content. They could serve as better performant (although Smash is already 1080p/60fps...) game of the year editions with all DLC included

I'm not saying there will be BC, I'm just saying you can't necessarily rule it out for that reason

Instro

As stated earlier by someone else, if we're getting a handheld form factor, it's likely that only Japanese devs have the details for it (& I'm guessing that they do a better with keeping their mouths shut).

That would be my guess, jdevs and internal Nintendo only.

LordOfChaos

. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks).

OTOH, Cerny readily admitted the PS4 was slightly skewed towards extra GPU CUs, such that you'd have extra GPU compute power even if the graphics side was limited by the CPUs submission rate.

So for "balance", the 15-30% stronger CPU may not necessarily be paired with a much better GPU than the PS4, maybe about the same or better but under the 15-30%.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm beginning to wonder when the handheld is releasing. Perhaps it's not an early 2017 thing. I like the idea of the handheld waiting for hardware advancements, since it seems like some advancements coming late this year could help the handheld considerably (maybe I'm wrong about this).

It's also possible that Western devs and sources don't know as much because it's launching in Japan first and/or they're prioritizing Japanese developers.

I don't know who Emily Rogers is, or care. Wasn't trying to shit on anybody. Just thought someone was trying to take 10k's info as her own.

If it helps for context, the Zelda rumor thread that's been on or near the front page of GAF for a few days now is based on her rumors.

-Horizon-

Good to know. Is Dagashi Kashi good too? I've seen some promo stuff for Dagashi Kashi before and noticed the purple haired character from it on an earlier avatar you had. I haven't even seen One Punch Man because I've been very busy for a while, but that Dagashi Kashi and Erased (or Boku dake ga inai machi) all seem to be relatively highly recommended shows that have come up recently.
I actually have no idea about those 2 shows personally. Haven't been watching much this year. Though my friends seem to really like Erased.

One Punch Man is great though, that one I've seen. Watch it whenever you have time :D

Do not fail me Nintendo , NX more powerfull than PS4 is a must. Time to see games like GTA on a Nintendo console.

GTA5 NX Edition while everyone else gets GTA6

I am fully prepared to see that happen

thefro

10k's post isn't anything shocking for anyone who's been following closely, but it's nice to get some more confirmation.

Great to see Nintendo acting logically. Many of us came to the same conclusion as to what the HW sweet spot would be when NX was announced, and the various other credible reports have pointed a system that could easily get PS4 ports.

jmizzal

My only concerns with possibly having 4 ports in the launch window is how many resources were used that could have been working on new experiences that I don't already own. As long as these were quick to develop and we still get plenty of new games, I think it increases the value proposition for those that didn't own a Wii U and those that did one a Wii I are likely to pick up a Wii U anyway.

Shouldnt be an issue, i'm sure Zelda has been moved to NX lead for awhile and has been running on WiiU also for a while, Splatoon main team prob working on Splatoon 2 but have a group on NX Splatoon port, and MM seems to just be network porting issues doubt moving it to NX would take much time.

Splatoon and MM came out last year so those teams new games wasnt even coming out soon anyways, and a new Smash Bros is wayyyyyy off so not effecting anything coming that would be coming out early for NX

AfroDust

Going off of the insider info, I can't believe we're going to be getting a Nintendo console that actually competes technologically for the first time in 2 generations of hardware. I know it won't solve everything, but I believe it will at least entice more developers to want to make games for NX. This could be the advent of a new, more aggressive Ninty.

Beefy

People in here are overestimating the PS4K effect. Even if the systems are relatively close in power, it's a colossal difference from where the Wii U was in reference to the other systems.

The only problem I do see is if in 3 years time Sony and MS are ready for a new gen. Will Nintendo be ready?

Crono27

The only problem I do see is if in 3 years time Sony and MS are ready for a new gen. Will Nintendo be ready?

Will Sony and Ms be ready 2 years after that when Nintendo releases next one? Who knows just enjoy life and moment one day at a time (;

-Horizon-

I'd be estatic if Nx could get kh3 too somehow...

FFXV seems more likely...maybe?
With SE having that 10 million sales to be considered good, if it is an easy port machine, the'll put it on there. Though I guess it'll be a late port if it does happen since the game is out september.

Rubixcuba

Banned

This x 10000. The leap from Wii U to whatever powerbase the NX works from, will be remarkable from Nintendo's 1st party outlook.

Zelda NX at above PS4 graphics? Hold Me.

Banned
Always be conservative with Nintendo. Always.

I feel as though most posters quoting me weren't here for WUST. And my post is in no way inflammatory like some of the responses I'm getting are indicating.

PS4k rumors are indicating a minimum 2x increase in GPU performance. 30% is still nothing. And if the Xbox Pi or whatever it's gonna be called launches as well Nintendo will be in the exact same situation. Shit is eerily feeling like Wii U part 2. The benefit (hopefully) is that at the very least architecture will be shared. Of course this is all conjecture.

Hope I'm wrong but unless there have been serious structural and cultural changes in nintendos hardware philosophy and catering more to 3rd parties then I won't hold my breath. Until we get more info all we have are people's words and none of this sounds amazing to me, in fact it's fairly lackluster.
1) throw out your precedents about Nintendo conservatism this generation
2) the NX is competing with XB1 and PS4, not the enthusiast SKU's that'll get the same games as its entry level sku's
3) NX may very well output 4K as well for media playback and some lower demanding games.

LordOfChaos

Imo, that would be fine for them. On this cycle, they'd alternate between being the most powerful, and being mid-gen while the others are more powerful.

This would be a better situation than they've done with the Wii and Wii U, where they were closer to the n-1 consoles than the current gen. The Wii U only had a year before the PS4/XBO launched.

Being on the alternate cycle may be an advantage, not going head to head with the other two, but still having half a generations technical lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom