• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

10K, is there any pressing your sources for possible third party support murmurs or is that going too far??

Beefy

Will Sony and Ms be ready 2 years after that when Nintendo releases next one? Who knows just enjoy life and moment one day at a time (;

That's my whole point. Nintendo play catch up every time. i would love all 3 to release near each other, but i guess that will never happen.

Those of us who feel like their favorite character *cough snake cough ice climbers* are really hopeful that smash 4 NX has more content. Mainly to provide us with a reason to upgrade other than "I can put my Wii U in the closet now"

Honestly if Nintendo is going to throw cross-compatibility to the wayside I cannot see a reason why the Ice Climbers couldn't be included as a bonus since they were working on the Wii U version but ultimately left on the cutting room floor. I'm keeping my expectations low though.

Interesting.

I called all 4 games and Splatoon and Mario Maker make absolute sense to port to NX. I hope all 4 games make it. Looks like Smash and Zelda are guaranteed.

antonz

If the gpu ends up an upgrade over the PS4 I would imagine it would be something reasonable like going from a 7850 level part to like a 7870 level part. It would be noticeable but not to an insane degree

FFXV seems more likely...maybe?
With SE having that 10 million sales to be considered good, if it is an easy port machine, the'll put it on there. Though I guess it'll be a late port if it does happen since the game is out september.

FFXV and VII remake both make sense. The latter especially, since it runs on Unreal and they even noted that it was a PS4 "console debut" or something along those lines.

It'd be fun if the XV port included the Platinum demo as a way to compensate for its lateness (assuming NX comes in november).

I am expecting Square Enix will be at least somewhat generous with their support of the system. They and Nintendo seem to have a pretty swimming relationship and given the nature and anticipation regarding some of their big-budget titles, it makes sense for them to be on as many platforms as possible. After all that's why FFXV and KHIII were said to have XB1 versions, from what I remember. It didn't hurt them, so why not?

Joqu

Smash and zelda were obvious, but I don't want a splatoon port. I want spla2n :(

Splatoon is so recent though. I want them to develop a sequel that's a whole lot meatier, especially on the single player side of things. I'm not sure if they could do that in a reasonable timeframe.

Kouriozan

Splatoon is so recent though. I want them to develop a sequel that's a whole lot meatier, especially on the single player side of things. I'm not sure if they could do that in a reasonable timeframe.
I agree, I expect the sequel to be huge since the IP already proved to be popular, having the port of the first game with some bonus stuff while waiting will be nice.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What if The NX's main gimmick is the supplemental computing devices thing?

I still don't get how this would be beneficial. How could devs take full advantage of this? There would be a massive difference of power between systems for the same game.

-Horizon-

FFXV and VII remake both make sense. The latter especially, since it runs on Unreal and they even noted that it was a PS4 "console debut" or something along those lines.

It'd be fun if the XV port included the Platinum demo as a way to compensate for its lateness (assuming NX comes in november).

I am expecting Square Enix will be at least somewhat generous with their support of the system. They and Nintendo seem to have a pretty swimming relationship and given the nature and anticipation regarding some of their big-budget titles, it makes sense for them to be on as many platforms as possible. After all that's why FFXV and KHIII were said to have XB1 versions, from what I remember. It didn't hurt them, so why not?

I completely forgot about VII remake lol
I kind of pushed that game out of my mind

But yeah, if even the X1 is getting these games, I can see them throwing at least 1 or 2 of them as test games. Along with dragon quest 11 (unless that's the handheld one or something).

Schnozberry

If the gpu ends up an upgrade over the PS4 I would imagine it would be something reasonable like going from a 7850 level part to like a 7870 level part. It would be noticeable but not to an insane degree

If the NX uses Vulkan or a similar low level graphics API, I think everyone would be generally pleased with that level of performance.

ozfunghi

OTOH, Cerny readily admitted the PS4 was slightly skewed towards extra GPU CUs, such that you'd have extra GPU compute power even if the graphics side was limited by the CPUs submission rate.

So for "balance", the 15-30% stronger CPU may not necessarily be paired with a much better GPU than the PS4, maybe about the same or better but under the 15-30%.

I already made the same observation a few pages back.

Thraktor made a post about what possible specs might be for the GPU and RAM.
He spoke about one GPU "config" of about 2.5TF... Which would be indeed +/-15-30% over 1.8 (of PS4)

Banned
Are we looking at a $400-$500 system here with those specs? A price like that could hamstring this thing right off the bat.

Oh please. I respect your opinion, but come on--the bolded above is an absurd statement. This is nothing even close to that. Wii U was vastly underpowered at launch and couldn't even handle some 360 ports well.
Nintendo could easily beat the PS4 by 30% (a rough metric but for arguments sake, yeah) for $350 in 2016, likely bundled with a game. They might sell it at a small loss for $299 and make a profit with a game sale.

Ad0ve

Banned
screen-shot-2015-07-14-at-12-51-47-pm.jpg

It begins

The greatest gladiator match in history

NX vs PS4K

The son of Iwata vs PS4 of SONY

Roo

If rumors are true then at least they took care about the power issue.
Let's see if they don't fuck things up with the console's name lololol

Doctre81

I still don't get how this would be beneficial. How could devs take full advantage of this? There would be a massive difference of power between systems for the same game.

Could be similar to how the expansion pack on the N64 worked. I have no idea.

The one thing I want them to add to Splatoon is 2-player local and online, would that be at all a possibility?

And Ice Climbers for smash bros NX god dammit.

Nintendo could easily beat the PS4 by 30% (a rough metric but for arguments sake, yeah) for $350 in 2016, likely bundled with a game. They might sell it at a small loss for $299 and make a profit with a game sale.

Yeah, people are greatly overestimating the cost of systems like the PS4/One, especially considering they're years old already

FZZ

Banned
1) throw out your precedents about Nintendo conservatism this generation
2) the NX is competing with XB1 and PS4, not the enthusiast SKU's that'll get the same games as its entry level sku's
3) NX may very well output 4K as well for media playback and some lower demanding games.

10k I know you were there for WUSTs man...

It's not necessarily about the SKUs it's always been about perception. 70% (number out of my ass but you'd be surprised) of "core" gamers outside of gaf still believe the PS2 was more powerful than the GCN. So if sony and MS have stronger SKUs then Nintendo is still the weakest.

If they dominate it'll be on price and software. Just cause I'm counting them out power wise doesn't mean I don't think the NX can succeed. Hell I wanted that controller to be real, I love crazy Nintendo but if they're going the traditional route they need to do it right.

mugwhump

I don't expect it at launch.

NoA made me pay $60 for splatoon, I don't really want to pay that again for the NX port and then buy spa2n 1-2 years later. I'll be fine if Wii U splatoon gets all the updates and stuff splatoon NX does.

bachikarn

The ports being Zelda, Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Maker would be pretty ideal for me. I'd also like to play Mario 3D World and Bayonnetta at some point.

Neoxon

1. A Splatoon port to establish the system for a new audience while keeping the current community happy does not preclude a sequel or expansion later down the line. It's an appetizer, kind of like how the Nathan Drake Collection on PS4 helped to satiate the wait for Uncharted 4 for hardcore fans, while drawing in newcomers.

2. We have no idea what Sakurai's up to. We shouldn't rule out the possibility of additional content being his new project. But either way, we know it's happening and the nature of the game (one-a-console affair that takes years to develop and is a toll on Sakurai and Nintendo's budget, large community, importance to the FGC, appealing to hardcore and casual gamers, a lot of work went into the Wii U version despite it being the lowest-selling console...) means that a port makes sense. A sequel would have to be either super-rushed, or at least 5-6 years away. And by then NX would be old news.
  • If it's more like the Nathan Drake Collection (limited additions, better performance, etc.). My concern is if they waste any substantial upgrades on this re-release when they could be better served with elevating the franchise to new heights in the sequel.
  • As for Smash 4, assuming that quote came out recently, he just got back into the swing of things in terms of development on whatever project he's doing. If we can assume that development on Cloud started as soon as June 2015, it takes around 6 months to complete a character from concept to finish. While sure, that may be enough time for one character (& maybe put the finishing touches on another that was sitting on the shelf, like maybe the Ice Climbers), the issue may be that there isn't enough time to get a substantial number of characters. Even Sakurai himself said that they had to stop eventually, with 58 being a decent place to stop. And even if it does get new characters, I doubt that it'll get expanded much past that. Regardless of how much life Nintendo tries to pump into the game, Smash 4 is gonna get stale eventually. Sooner or later, they'll have to move on to Smash 5. It'd be best to just let the port to its job & buy Nintendo some time to get it ready.

What if there's a NX handheld, but only the Japanese devs got it considering how important handhelds are in Japan and the western devs got the NX console only which would explain why they know nothing about a NX handheld?

Joqu

I don't expect it at launch.

NoA made me pay $60 for splatoon, I don't really want to pay that again for the NX port and then buy spa2n 1-2 years later. I'll be fine if Wii U splatoon gets all the updates and stuff splatoon NX does.

Fair enough, but I do think they need to capitalize on Splatoon's success as soon as possible on the NX as I said I'd prefer for it to not be a rushed sequel.

That said if they really are trying to get cross platform online working I'd imagine you'd get your updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom