• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

My god.. I've never been quoted so much. I just added a legend. ._.

Err, how about one more :p

You may have explained this somewhere in the last dozen pages, but the PS3:360 GPU graph?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1919/xbox-360-gpu.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1682/rsx-reality-synthesizer.html

The only thing it came out ahead on was TMUs, in terms of shading or vertex the 360s unified shader advantage was usually too much, plus a bit more execution hardware in general (iirc 240Gflops on shaders vs 190 + whatever for the vertex [I feel like 230 total]). To get to the RSX's theoretical max, devs would have to split pixel:vertex work exactly how the RSX was configured, while the unified shader 360 could handle whatever mix. The eDRAM also helped put it over. I'd almost flip their graphs entirely on the GPU side. Much of Cells late life was spent just making up for RSX.

As for the Cell....That's quite a jump. I'd go with this if we're doing what the Cell was best at.

Slide.jpg

I just want to make it clear, I didn't make that graph. Just added legends and more numbers on the Y axis. Insane Metal made the graph.

Futaba

No surprise to anyone I'm sure but the NX on android leaker just admitted it was all fake after being called out trying to verify with a fake Google job offer letter.

I swear you could make the world's most pointless TV show with this stuff.

No surprise to anyone I'm sure but the NX on android leaker just admitted it was all fake after being called out trying to verify with a fake Google job offer letter.

Why is this even worth posting in this thread? lol

Can we please keep Reddit drama away from here.

-Horizon-

ayy lmao

Guess because some were ready to believe it, since Nintendo denied it once and they never deny things. :p

Why would people believe it? Nintendo and Sony don't need a robust OS for their hardware. Microsoft does because it's a part of their "Windows as a service" paradigm shift.

Roo

and water is wet...
oh well, let's move on from all this reddit BS

Schnozberry

If you had to put money on the APU and ram used in the NX. What do you think would have the highest chance of making you the most? Assuming the closer you are the more payout there is.

If it were my money, I'd bet on the console having 8 x ARM A72 cores at 2ghz - 8GB LPDDR4e - GCN 1.2 GPU somewhere in the range of 2TF

For the handheld, I'd guess 2 A72 cores paired with 2 A53 cores, 2GB of LPDDR4e, and an AMD Micro Series GPU of sorts. The GPU is the hardest part with the handheld because all the AMD Options are limited. I'd guess the handheld is a 14nm part and gets pushed out to 2H of 2017.

Of course, these are tales from my ass based on speculation and limited real information.

AmyS

Thanks for the detailed answers.

Is it possible but not improbable that Nintendo would with a 40nm fab process again to get 64mb+ edram in their SOC. They can use some really customized 40nm parts from AMD. I don't think they'll be able to fit the 16 rops needed for 1080p 60fps ports. Perf would be 4x Wii U max. Yuck.

That would be awful, and I really doubt it.

ozfunghi

I'd also err on the side of assuming that they'll use a lower GPU clock speed than Sony or MS, particularly if we're talking about a 28nm sub-XBO performance low power consumption device. Something like an XBO config at 700MHz may be plausible.

What do you think Nintendo should/could target realistically and how would it perform compared to XBO/PS4?

LordOfChaos

Not for Nintendo. They love their fast, specialized, super RAM.

The GC, Wii, and Wii U all had it because they were all related. If the NX is a clean break from that old architecture, it may not need anything to approximate the small fast memory pools like the 3 MB 1T-SRAM (2 MB Z-buffer + 1 MB texture cache - also probably what those small pools in the Wii U GPU are for)

Was HBM taken completely off the table? Wouldn't that be cheaper than trying to create eDRAM for a smaller process node? Or would having 4GB HBM alongside DDR3 or DDR4 be too much hassle by splitting the memory pool?

Proelite

Was HBM taken completely off the table? Wouldn't that be cheaper than trying to create eDRAM for a smaller process node? Or would having 4GB HBM alongside DDR3 or DDR4 be too much hassle by splitting the memory pool?

Split memory pool is more hassle. > 64 mb of HBM as a EDRAM replacement makes sense. However unless they're putting in >75w 3 teraflops gpu, they'll be wasting the bandwidth.

antonz

I really don't understand the logic behind the idea Nintendo would go out of their way to get a CPU that is 20-30% faster all around than the current ones and then say fuck it lets skimp on everything else. It would literally be Wii U 2.0

Proelite

I really don't understand the logic behind the idea Nintendo would go out of their way to get a CPU that is 20-30% faster all around than the current ones and then say fuck it lets skimp on everything else. It would literally be Wii U 2.0

Maybe they have grand multitasking OS plans. The weak CPUS in Xbox One and PS4 is not the norm. They're the weakest CPU ever in a console relative to their gpus.

In order for NX to best Xbox one and PS4, they'll have to make an APU that's ~100W in TDP, >$350 in costs, and as big as a ps4.

Instro

I'm not sure which way or another, but to your point, are they really going out of their way here? It doesn't take much to beat out the competition in this regard.

Malus

I'm glad we're back to talking about a sub-current gen machine. Was feeling optimistic for a moment there.

Must maintein faith in IndieGamerChick

Err, how about one more :p

You may have explained this somewhere in the last dozen pages, but the PS3:360 GPU graph?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1919/xbox-360-gpu.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1682/rsx-reality-synthesizer.html

The only thing it came out ahead on was TMUs, in terms of shading or vertex the 360s unified shader advantage was usually too much, plus a bit more execution hardware in general (iirc 240Gflops on shaders vs 190 + whatever for the vertex [I feel like 230 total]). To get to the RSX's theoretical max, devs would have to split pixel:vertex work exactly how the RSX was configured, while the unified shader 360 could handle whatever mix. The eDRAM also helped put it over. I'd almost flip their graphs entirely on the GPU side. Much of Cells late life was spent just making up for RSX.

As for the Cell....That's quite a jump. I'd go with this if we're doing what the Cell was best at.

Slide.jpg

I just want to make it clear, I didn't make that graph. Just added legends and more numbers on the Y axis. Insane Metal made the graph.

Yeah, I made it, just for fun :)

I used info from wikipedia.

antonz

Maybe they have grand multitasking OS plans. The weak CPUS in Xbox One and PS4 is not the norm. They're the weakest CPU ever in a console relative to their gpus.

In order for NX to best Xbox one and PS4, they'll have to make an APU that's ~100W in TDP, >$350 in costs, and as big as a ps4.

That is the thing in the end. Has Nintendo finally woken up to the fact their argument Japanese people want tiny boxes etc. is garbage and are they willing to admit they are wrong. I mean if Nintendo were to go a Sub XBO GPU there really is no need for an improved CPU. The CPU while weak would be more than enough for Nintendo games and that is all it would get as it would be DOA for any 3rd party chances right from the start

NateDrake

Reddit has hit a new level of wtf. A leaker posted a 3D model of the "dev kit" that shows basically nothing. The glory of WUST is alive again!

Nanashrew

Banned
There's really no point in going weaker, there's also no room to go weaker unless it's nearly identical to the Wii U with a slightly better processor. But the processor is superior to the other systems.

If the PS5 came out, the next system would have been PS4 levels regardless as they chose to stay a generation behind. Now they have no choice but to hit those levels right now because of their predicament.

Think logically. There's no room and better tech has already matured and gotten cheaper for them.

Proelite

That is the thing in the end. Has Nintendo finally woken up to the fact their argument Japanese people want tiny boxes etc. is garbage and are they willing to admit they are wrong. I mean if Nintendo were to go a Sub XBO GPU there really is no need for an improved CPU. The CPU while weak would be more than enough for Nintendo games and that is all it would get as it would be DOA for any 3rd party chances right from the start

There is if they want a smoother OS than Xbox One, or if they want to emulate Wii-U titles. The Xbox one and PS4 cpus are WEAK in comparison to their gpus. They're tablet cpus that are frequently paired with 2CU gpus.

Brofield

"A Neogaf user has made a CPU/GPU/RAM Chart based on recent leaks/rumors and what they have heard from sources: If you calculate the difference: you will get the number 12."

I have been enlightened.

Yeah, how the hell does one get the number 12 from the NX 'leaks' in that chart?

diaspora

Of course the Android shit was fake. The idea of backporting features from API 23 and 24 to 5.1 is insane. Google has support libraries but wtf.

edit: lol, "I'll show you the devkit" and what? 3d models? smh

antonz

Of course the Android shit was fake. The idea of backporting features from API 23 and 24 to 5.1 is insane. Google has support libraries but wtf.

edit: lol, "I'll show you the devkit" and what? 3d models? smh

lol yeah. "Hey guys I took pictures of the devkits". here's some quick ms paint of what they look like instead of you know the pictures

ozfunghi

The bit about the GAF charts in the reddit post is really hilarious.

It's the perfect scam to keep this thread going! Post some BS that could easily be eaten up as "leak" or "rumor". The idiots over at Reddit will post it, and that gives this thread, which is devoted to Reddit rumors, reason to stay open.

Vena

I'm not sure which way or another, but to your point, are they really going out of their way here? It doesn't take much to beat out the competition in this regard.

Yes, they would be going out of their way to do it. If you have a CPU clocked noticeably higher (and 20-30% is a noticeable boost) it would be illogical to go with not only worse RAM configurations but also to skimp on the GPU. Its a completely nonsensical pathway of approach of bottlenecking your own performance gains unless you wanted some super low thermal envelope... at which point you wouldn't be clocking your CPU at 20-30% higher than the competition.

You'd just be bottlenecking yourself all over the place, and Nintendo knows how much that sucks (and are on record) from the WiiU (and, heck, the 3DS given how much they supped it up in the N3DS).

If they have a substantial boost in CPU speeds, they're going to have either as good as or better than RAM/GPU performances as their contemporaries.

jstripes

Banned
I remember when playground arguments were around 64 colours vs 256 colours*.

Things have reached an entirely different level.

*Canadian spelling

MK_768

It's the perfect scam to keep this thread going! Post some BS that could easily be eaten up as "leak" or "rumor". The idiots over at Reddit will post it, and that gives this thread, which is devoted to Reddit rumors, reason to stay open.

At least we know he's watching this thread closely. Don't know what it says about the guy tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom