• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
I remember reading a project about reddit verification in which he detailed how he could fake it.
So yeah, the only reliable source will be Nintendo themselves.

Edit: Oh yeah, it was B-K and Conker. Now I remember.

yes, lol I just saw the post

Friendly reminder that someone once got "verified" at reddit for posting this:

1222875946667692834.jpg

(it was a fake leak that a college student did for an assignment) http://kotaku.com/the-fake-video-game-rumor-someone-spread-for-homewor-1699726881

So backwards compatibility is there? That's nice at least.

No. PowerPC->x86 would definitely mean: No backwards compatibility. Real bc is simply not possible with a total different architecture.

A emulator bc would possible, but would never match the quality of the original (after all there is already a WiiU-Emulator for high-end PCs but it has many, many flaws and gameplay experience is far from the original). I highly doubt that Nintendo would be pleased with bc with sub-optimal framerates or other gameplay disadvantages. That would drag down the notion of their old games.

"Remasters" are the only possibility.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Every time someone says that the NX will be as powerful as current gen consoles gaf seems to forget that ps4k and xb1.5 are coming, if true NX will probably be behind again and without all the games that are already available on ps4 and xb1.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This particular redditor was verified using at least 10 pieces of information.

It's other way around. The 3DS has been keeping their entire business afloat and is about to crater. Sales are slowing, almost all of its major games (bar Sun/Moon) have been released, the hardware is ancient - it needs to be replaced. Judging both by history and the present market, it has a better chance of having a successful successor than the Wii U.

The Wii U, on the other hand, well they are currently surviving and eking out profits on a base of 10-11 mil. Because of the 3DS. What happens when the 3DS craters if the Wii U's successor sells N64/GC/Wii U numbers again? Nothing good. The 3DS is the device they must replace immediately, NOT the Wii U.

Not to me, but I have a bad memory. What has implied this?
Nah, you're still wrong. You fix the part that's tanking first. Nothing good would happen if the 3DS successor sells Wii U numbers either.

Instro

No. PowerPC->x86 would definitely mean: No backwards compatibility. Real bc is simply not possible with a total different architecture.

A emulator bc would possible, but would never match the quality of the original (after all there is already a WiiU-Emulator for high-end PCs but it has many, many flaws and gameplay experience is far from the original). I highly doubt that Nintendo would be pleased with bc with sub-optimal framerates or other gameplay disadvantages. That would drag down the notion of their old games.

I don't think it would happen, but theoretically they could include the WiiU CPU within the NX to facilitate backwards compatbility couldn't they?

Malus

Yeah, I've been viewing NX through the lens of a home console anyway so it's not a big revelation to me. For a home box this is all very basic stuff. Next this mole will tell us it plugs into standard power outlets...

I think 'we' want to know what it is about this system that makes you go either wow or wtf :)

Re. the second screen stuff, I hope it's not a main feature (or THE main feature!) again and is simply there for legacy Wii U software compatibility.

Eh, I just want to know the basic stuff like the general power and the release window of the console. I can wait for the big surprises at e3 or whenever they reveal it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Or they could include the required Wii U hardware on the new systems, like Nintendo has done in the past with the DS series (and Sony with the original Ps3).

I don't think it would happen, but theoretically they could include the WiiU CPU within the NX to facilitate backwards compatbility couldn't they?

Yes, with the advantage that the chip is very small and low power, unlike the Cell and Xenon.

maxcriden

This is patently false. The PPC architecture is newer and considerably better than x86 from a purely architectural standpoint. However it hasn't had the massive backing of Intel and AMD to get to the current power and performance thresholds x86 sits at.

I'm sorry. I did not understand this. Thank you for the clarification. My understanding regardless though is that it would add unnecessary cost to the system to include BC if they go w/ x86 (as Neoxon said above).

I'm good without bc I think anyways, time for Nintendo to move forward. Remasters, beefy VC will be fine by me :)

Same here!

Or they could include the required Wii U hardware on the new systems, like Nintendo has done in the past with the DS series (and Sony with the original Ps3).

That'd be an awful and expensive idea. Not to mention that relies on components getting cheaper, which the Wii U definitely wouldn't be as 1) Not many people bought it, and 2) PowerPC is effectively dead

Well, it would be a confirmation that Nintendo is done with further iterations of the GC's CPU. However, most people in here apparently believe that non-x86 implies low performance (and the converse), which isn't true.

It is relevant in terms of potential implications for shared library.

It is not relevant with respect to power or portability.

So it's speaking a more common machine language?

Every time someone says that the NX will be as powerful as current gen consoles gaf seems to forget that ps4k and xb1.5 are coming, if true NX will probably be behind again and without all the games that are already available on ps4 and xb1.

Could be an advantage for Nintendo. Buy an updated console to play games you could already play on your current console or buy NX and play many new games.

Anondreas

Could it be possible that they have the dev kits and do not know the specs?
I know that happened with N64.

I could imagine then having a ballpark idea of what they can do, but maybe not 100% finalized specs. I've read in the past some specs can be a bit If moving target until they are 100% finalized, sometimes at the last minute. Didn't they hobble the Wii U at the last minute as well to improve power consumption?

Honestly I expected emulation to be the way they were going to do it when I heard about no disc drive patent.
My guess is we are going to get lots of remasters. Guesses are Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker.

Thank the lord it is x86. Be extremely happy Nintendo fans, this means you can actually get decent ports provided teh publisher gives a damn!

That is all I would need. Neither Sony or MS have first party games that interest me, so having a system with all of the third party games AND Nintendo first party would make me incredibly happy.

Knowing specs and having a dev kit are two different things though. They may be planning a port based on the information provided. That wouldn't be much different from what happened with the WiiU except Nintendo ended up delivering a dev kit that did not match the specs they originally provided.

Sounds like a waste a time, especially if the actual devkits turn out different

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That'd be an awful and expensive idea. Not to mention that relies on components getting cheaper, which the Wii U definitely wouldn't be as 1) Not many people bought it, and 2) PowerPC is effectively dead

But the Wii U's CPU is tiny! And could be used for other tasks such as security, audio, background operations while in NX mode, just like the legacy GBA CPU on the DS.

Yes, with the advantage that the chip is very small and low power, unlike the Cell and Xenon.

1. With remasteres they can easily charge $60 and people won't complain.
2. Why give people backwards compatibility when it doesn't make revenue? It's a neat feature. But from financial point of view reamsters of Wii U games are better option for NX.
Edit:
3. Installing an additional chip for BC is also costly and Nintendo will try to reduce price as much they can.

diaspora

Remember when the WiiU was going to get all the 3rd party games as well?
No? It was never going to happen, and that was clear from the beginning- it did get some PS3/360 ports and doing so was evidently trivial but the system's processor had no future with newer iterations of basically every modern engine in use.

That won't be the reason it won't get the ports though. If PS4K games will run on PS4, like they supposedly will, then there's no reason why they couldn't run on NX too, assuming it's on the same ballpark as PS4.

Obviously it will make it seem a lot less enticing though that it will be behind in tech. And it won't get the same amount of 3rd party games anyway (because there's no audience).

diaspora

And you seem to be forgetting that the PS4K wouldn't matter considering that the PS4 would have all the same games unless Sony wants to not sell games to millions of people.

Parapraxis

No? It was never going to happen, and that was clear from the beginning- it did get some PS3/360 ports and doing so was evidently trivial but the system's processor had no future with newer iterations of basically every modern engine in use.

Many many people were shouting from the rooftops how WiiU was going to get (superior) ports of many 3rd party games that were out at the time. I wasn't one of those people, but saying it was "clear at the time" didn't seem to matter to a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom