• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report claims Nintendo management scheming to get rid of Iwata

SmithnCo

Oh yeaaaa

ibicim2Nf44Fw7.PNG

I had almost forgot the pain

Anth0ny

Those FF ports are aiight.

Difference is Square doesn't have a console AND handheld to sell that makes up for the majority of their business.

As soon as those characters start popping up on mobile, why buy a Wii U or 3DS to play Mario games? I can just get them on the phone I already own!

It'll stop people buying Nintendo's hardware. People won't bother if they can buy Mario or Zelda on their phones.

Also, someone break out that infographic showing how bad mobile platforms actually are for making money, unless you're in the 1%
Well, it seems like there's less and less people are bothering already and that's without them even going third party. I mean, it's not like anyone is buying the Wii U and the handheld market is still shrinking massively.

Hiltz

I find it funny how there's a lot of hate for Iwata yet Yamauchi did a lot of damage to Nintendo in his time. When Nintendo tried to be a direct competitor, they ended up doing poorly with the N64 and GameCube. In 2009, Miyamoto expressed how he felt Nintendo had lost its way (admitting he was also to blame too) , so the company tried to go back to its philosophical roots to differentiate its platforms from the competition's with the Wii and DS. This was one of Yamauchi's fundamental beliefs, but even he contradicted himself, especially with the GameCube, which focused on hardware power over innovation. Although, the WaveBird was innovative, but it came out a year later.

Yamauchi, like Iwata, also believed that diminishing returns are something the industry should be concerned about. He also felt that graphics, and epic storytelling were the wrong things to prioritize in game design,. and that games are what sell hardware first and foremost instead of the potential of what bigger and better consoles can offer.

By the way, some of us may remember that Iwata has been looking at alternative options for the company's future. He's expressed consideration of mergers and acquistions, and he's already revealed the NFC Amiibo figurines, offering to license out its IPs via third party collberations, and teased us about the Quality of Life platform for release next year.

FyreWulff

It's sad when people want a developer to not be in charge of a developer, and replace them with a suit.

Everyone's thinking like a shareholder these days.. even those without shares.

gogogow

I can't wait for Iwata to go. He represents everything that is wrong with Nintendo to me.

Lol at comments like this. So Iwata should definitely go and pray the next president will do a better job? Because NO ONE knows who will and can replace Iwata and whether he will do a better job or not.

Anth0ny

Well, it seems like there's less and less people are bothering already and that's without them even going third party. I mean, it's not like anyone is buying the Wii U and the handheld market is still shrinking massively.

Nintendo can improve that situation without releasing their games on mobile, especially in the home console market.

JoeM86

The Wii U isn't doing well, yes. That doesn't mean they should just pack up and abandon their entire business.

I find it funny how there's a lot of hate for Iwata yet Yamauchi did a lot of damage to Nintendo in his time. When Nintendo tried to be a direct competitor, they ended up doing poorly with the N64 and GameCube. In 2009, Miyamoto expressed how he felt Nintendo had lost its way (admitting he was also to blame too) , so the company tried to go back to its philosophical roots to differentiate its platforms from the competition's with the Wii and DS. This was one of Yamauchi's fundamental beliefs, but even he contradicted himself, especially with the GameCube, which focused on hardware power over innovation. Although, the WaveBird was innovative, but it came out a year later.

Yamauchi, like Iwata, also believed that diminishing returns are something the industry should be concerned about. Both of them didn't think better graphically powerful consoles are something that would win over consumers. They felt that games are what sell hardware first and foremost.

By the way, some of us may remember that Iwata has been looking at alternative options for the company's future. He's expressed consideration of mergers and acquistions, and he's already revealed the NFC Amiibo figurines, offering to license out its IPs via third party collberations, and teased us about the Quality of Life platform for release next year.

Sssh, no facts allowed. :p

Yamauchi's reign is still largely affecting things to this day, such as with third party relations...it sucks :(

unbias

It'll stop people buying Nintendo's hardware. People won't bother if they can buy Mario or Zelda on their phones.

Also, someone break out that infographic showing how bad mobile platforms actually are for making money, unless you're in the 1%

WTF? So you think if you can buy a version of mario on your tablet that people who buy consoles will all the sudden stop? Based on fucking what? Also, quite sure Nintendo could be that 1%, they dont have to play in the F2P world, they could release their games similar to X-Com and probably make loads of cash.

I hope Nintendo stuff never appears on other hardware. I like the hardware innovation in line with massive software projects. I would much rather the diversity of experiences with a hell of a lot more exclusive games.

Why would they oust Iwata now? There have been a distinct change in attitude this year concerning Nintendo, why now?

Nintendo is losing money every year. They're making video games...and not getting anywhere. The company is spinning their wheels in the mud again and again and again. Nintendo is a traditional company. They---very vocally---laugh at current growth trends like smartphones, but at the end of the day they're not getting anywhere.

You're right, Nintendo (and its domestic investors) are very patient. But the longer Nintendo goes without turning a profit, the more antsy people get. We've gone 3 years now without any profit, and the latest quarter also showed another loss. If Amiibo and QOL don't go anywhere, and Nintendo goes into 2015 and 2016 with even more losses, Mr. Iwata's position as CEO will become increasingly strained.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

This sounds much healthier than going to phones.
Toys, collabs, the QoL.
If they really wanted to avoid the dreaded mobile future, they could start producing animated shows.

JoeM86

Well played :p

WTF? So you think if you can buy a version of mario on your tablet that people who buy consoles will all the sudden stop? Based on fucking what? Also, quite sure Nintendo could be that 1%, they dont have to play in the F2P world, they could release their games similar to X-Com and probably make loads of cash.

Based on logic and how irrational the general consumer is.

Also, games that aren't F2P don't tend to do ridiculously well. F2P is unfortunately where the cash is on smartphones, and that bubble is likely to burst soon due to reclassifications, legislation etc.

Mr. Iwata holds four concurrent roles:

1) Chairman of the Board of Directors

2) Member of the Board of Directors

3) CEO of Nintendo Co., Ltd.

4) CEO of Nintendo of America

It is possible for the Board of Directors to remove Mr. Iwata from the CEO position.

When Mr. Yamauchi decided to resign it was decided at a Board of Directors meeting where, under Mr. Yamauchi's request, the Board decided to dissolve his CEO position.

In another, non-Japanese example, Steve Ballmer was fired by the Board of Directors who forced him out...despite Mr. Ballmer getting the majority of votes from shareholders year after year.

The question here is how many Board members are loyal to Iwata and how many are "scheming," if any.

Ballmer is still on the board, no? Why would he stay if they kicked him out?

yuraya

WiiU numbers are egregious. Games like Mario would make Nintendo a lot more money if they came to tablets/mobile. Nintendo needs that money. Its best for business.

hwy_61

Banned
Difference is Square doesn't have a console AND handheld to sell that makes up for the majority of their business.

As soon as those characters start popping up on mobile, why buy a Wii U or 3DS to play Mario games? I can just get them on the phone I already own!

Because I would never in a million years play Mario and Zelda on a touch screen. My point is there's enough people in the world to make a profit on both mobile and console. Consumer choice doesn't translate to failure of a platform. It just means there's more of the market to claim. I'm no analyst, I'm just a guy with a beer.

JoeM86

WiiU numbers are egregious. Games like Mario would make Nintendo a lot more money if they came to tablets/mobile. Nintendo needs that money. Its best for business.

You really think a Mario game would be good and sell well on a buttonless platform??

Freeman

Banned
Just put a 16:9 remaster of Super Mario World on my Vita. That's all I'm asking, Nintendo.
Hahaha.

Nintendo would destroy as a publisher, they could simply put their games at the most suitable places for them. To me its almost guaranteed they would make way more money this way, without taking all the risks and responsibilities of running their own platform.

They will need to make tons of investments and changes just to catch up to the competition and they have no guarantees it will pay off. Even their Hail Mary strategy with Amiibos would work much better if they had a presence at more successful platforms.

A company that aims to replicate odd successes like the Wii and DS is bound to fail.

Nintendo sided with their most fervorous supporters and they doomed themselves by doing so.

jwhit28

I'm a consumer though. Mario auto runner with IAPs to make things easier or Pokemon with PP becoming energy that charges over time will be useless to me.

Being a member of the Board of Directors and being a CEO are two completely separate jobs.

Ballmer was fired from his CEO position...that doesn't automatically fire him from his Board position as well.

Mr. Yamauchi retired from his Nintendo CEO position in 2002...but stayed a member of Nintendo's Board of Directors through 2005.

numble

It's profoundly silly to think that a major publisher like Nintendo would be stuck in the same rut as garage and indie developers in terms of visibility and success in the mobile market. If Epic, Square-Enix, Telltale, Take-Two, heck even Oceanhorn and Gameloft find success and profit at $5+ price points, I don't know why you' drink Nintendo would fail. Look at how easy it is for Pokemon scam apps to rise to #1 on the charts--I have a feeling Nintendo wouldn't have any issues getting visibility, unlike most indies.

He controls a very large amount of shares so he should be on the board unless he dumps his shares.

Drackhorn

Iwata obviously hasn't done well for the company the past ~5 years, but I still firmly believe that there are much better alternative business strategies than going mobile.

Mobile would be the worst that could happen to Nintendo. 'Mario Jump' ftp with in game adds *shiver*.
But ultimately something drastic needs to be done within Nintendo.

The Wii U isn't doing well, yes. That doesn't mean they should just pack up and abandon their entire business.
Maybe not, but they're going to have to come up with a new approach because I don't think sub-GC and sub-PSP level sales is going to be sustainable for them in the long run.

Phediuk

It's kind of shocking he's been propped up there for so long.

Not very many corporations tolerate a CEO who posts three straight years of losses.

I'm not really surprised by this, but I thought it would've come sooner. I can understand the reticence about mobile games, since they can be pretty shit, but if you make some mobile only games that showcase your characters/IPs, that's a pretty good way to remain relevant to the young kids demographic that Nintendo keeps targetting.

MilesTeg

Banned
I am looking forward to Nintendo's next round of devices. I would like to see those before Nintendo throws in the towel to mobile. I believe the next couple years will be tough for Nintendo, up until they release their next machines. I am hopeful Iwata's plan for unified software development will result in a situation where Nintendo is able to significantly increase their output, which should be a given, and should help sell their hardware considerably.

I don't necessarily believe Iwata should retain his position, but I like the sound of Nintendo's plans with their unified architecture/OS, and finally having a proper account system. I would like to see the fruits of this effort before saying Nintendo should drop hardware.

I don't think Nintendo needs to go mobile or third party, but they do need a change at the top. Iwata has signed off on some terrible, stupid decisions over the last 3-4 years that have sunk Nintendo and destroyed the good will and success they build up with Wii/DS. That shit would be unacceptable in any other business. Nintendo needs a fresh thinker at the helm.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You really think a Mario game would be good and sell well on a buttonless platform??

Anyone that hasn't needs to play Rayman Jungle Run on a tablet or smartphone before suggesting platformers cant be done well on touch only. Hell, Nintendo has Yoshi Touch N Go or Kirby Canvas Curse essentially ready and perfect for porting.

We're also currently witnessing a total Pokemon ripoff make bank on iOS by virtue of just being there. Arguments for Nintendo dipping their toes in properly will continue to build as their flagging hardware sales become more and more problematic for software sales ceilings.

Not buying it. It reads like fan fiction.

"With Hiroshi Yamauchi gone, no one was left who could oppose Iwata's reign. Amidst the ruin, Nintendo's top managers hatched a scheme to send Shigeru Miyamoto back in time 55 years. His mission: to eliminate Mrs. Iwata before she could give birth to the harbinger of this disaster..."

jwhit28

Why jump in to the mobile market if you aren't going to exploit what makes mobile developers huge bank? Putting road blocks in that people have to get around with IAPs or extreme patience is the name of the game.

If you simply plan on moving VC to phones what do you do after the 4 or 5 years where you get most of your catalog released?

facelike

No. It would damage the company drastically in the longrun.

It may be able to make short term profits (I italicised it because the smartphone gaming industry is NOT a good place to make money. Even Apple is moaning that people aren't spending money on games ther), but it would damage everything irreparably

But Nintendo can look to see which games of theirs people are emulating on the iOS or Android platforms and then give people a legitimate way to purchase those games. It doesn't have to be a lot, but the first SMB, the first Zelda, Metroid and possible one or two Gameboy games from the original gameboy. I can not see how that would hurt their brand but rather increase brand recognition with a younger generation who didn't grow up on these games like many of us had. Plus, they'll make money on people's nostalgia, the movie industry is doing it, why not game industry. The cost to get the games running on the platform is minimal now as most people already found ways to do it. It would be easy money that would help their bottom line and not take away from new games. Old NES and maybe SNES games only, though.

gogogow

It's kind of shocking he's been propped up there for so long.

Not very many corporations tolerate a CEO who posts three straight years of losses.

Eh....hasn't Kaz Hirai and Stringer been president of Sony for years and also had years of huge losses, like billions in red?

Silvawuff

How will a mobile-focused property stop people from buying hardware, especially if the mobile game is exclusive to that platform? If anything it will bring in property awareness. A Zelda mobile title could stand all on its own, and compliment, advertise, or even sell a full-blooded Nintendo hardware Zelda.

As for Nintendo making profit from hardware: you're kidding, right? They make profit from games and take losses from hardware, or a very marginalized profit. Take a look at how Mario Kart 8 sales did for the company, period -- or any of their gamut of exclusive titles. Mobile and hardware can exist and practice synergism off each other, something I think Nintendo really needs to put into practice.

There is a definite hunger for Nintendo in mobile gaming, so much so that clones and games coming close to Nintendo artistic style enjoy massive success.

Vlade

Nintendo is losing money every year. They're making video games...and not getting anywhere. The company is spinning their wheels in the mud again and again and again. Nintendo is a traditional company. They---very vocally---laugh at current growth trends like smartphones, but at the end of the day they're not getting anywhere.

You're right, Nintendo (and its domestic investors) are very patient. But the longer Nintendo goes without turning a profit, the more antsy people get. We've gone 3 years now without any profit, and the latest quarter also showed another loss. If Amiibo and QOL don't go anywhere, and Nintendo goes into 2015 and 2016 with even more losses, Mr. Iwata's position as CEO will become increasingly strained.
I completely agree. There is trouble. There is no plan or person proposed in this rumor I think is any part of an answer tho.

unbias

Well played :p

Based on logic and how irrational the general consumer is.

Also, games that aren't F2P don't tend to do ridiculously well. F2P is unfortunately where the cash is on smartphones, and that bubble is likely to burst soon due to reclassifications, legislation etc.

Umm, what? Consumers are not, one a micro level, irrational they buy what is in demand, Nintendo console demand is not going to dry up by any indication, it may dissipate from time to time, but it isnt going to evaporate and most definitely not because of them releasing games on the smart phone(also Nintendo is already losing massive market share to smartphones and tablets because they refuse to enter). Also, no other non F2P games have the amount of notoriety of Nintendo, not to mention X-Com did very well on the tablet space and Beam Dog said Baldur's Gate did well, as well.

I mean, unless you can explain why games on handhelds/Tablets/Smartphones reduces demand in the console sector, your "logic" isn't actually logic but wild speculation. If anything them not releasing their titles on smartphone and tablet is actually hurting their marketshare.

Chart_USportableGameRevenue_MarketShare_2009-2011-resized-600.png

That was in 2011, how bad do you think the pie chart looks now, in terms of Nintendo losing market share? They need to do something if they want to get back some dominance in the handheld arena, since less of the market is buying Nintendo products already.

So kind of like Apple getting rid of Jobs at his time. Who knows if this could be for the better or the worse. Iwata has been a great president. But still, he has said some things before like online isnt important and makes it feel like he just doesnt care and how the console works, that it feels outdated for me. They need to step up.

Jobs was fired because he was a dick and didn't get along with the board. MacIntosh was already a "hot selling" item at that point, whereas Apple Lisa failed. AAPL was not in NCL's current situation then.

I don't, but a game along the lines of Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, WarioWare, Advance Wars, Tomodatchi, or Fire Emblem could.

For me the answer isnt to dump everything onto mobile and hope for the best but to look at moving beyond dedicated hardware to a variety of platforms.

As Android TV, Kindle Fire TV, Etc begin to develop, I believe that there is money to be made in moving back catalog games to those services and stores. That could generate additional revenue streams while also reminding casual consumers of how good Nintendo's games are.

Mobile is the same. Find IP's that actually work on the platforms and sell more games to a wider audience.

Kouriozan

Iwata always refused to fire anyone as it would impact their employees's morale and thus their work.
I wonder if a new President would do the same.

JoeInky

I'd rather Nintendo make good games and make less money than make complete shit on phones for more, I'm not a shareholder I don't care how much profit they make.

The idea of playing smash bros. on a smartphone makes me sick.

MilesTeg

Banned
Not buying it. It reads like fan fiction.

"With Hiroshi Yamauchi gone, no one was left who could oppose Iwata's reign. Amidst the ruin, Nintendo's top managers hatched a scheme to send Shigeru Miyamoto back in time 55 years. His mission: to eliminate Mrs. Iwata before she could give birth to the harbinger of this disaster..."

The source is a post on Gaf where the guy even says it's a rough translation. Which could explain the writing. Nintendo Everything literally copy pasted a Gaf post and made an article on it.

Genuine question: do traditionally priced games do well on mobile these days? How well do $5 or $10 or $15 titles sell?

Maybe they do great, I honestly don't know. But if they don't, that means Nintendo would need to look seriously into creating a F2P, in-app purchasing model for their mobile titles and that's really, REALLY not something I'd like to see happen to Nintendo games.

It might be good for business but as a consumer, it would not be good for me.

Top Bottom