• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

Software absolutely, power? That has been shown time and again that it doesn't really translate into sales. Obviously, a lower price point makes it easier, but that's not always possible or advisable according to production costs.

Yes but being dramatically less powerful than all competition doesn't exactly help build a case for charging premium prices. If NX is low power than ideally that'll be reflected in those production costs/retail price like it was with the Wii.

Simbabbad

I really hope they just move away from Wii sports to be honest. I want a complete separation from the Wii. The titles that had pointer controls sold the absolute least in the Wii U generation.
Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Link's Crossbow Training had pointer control.

I love Pikmin and Wii Sports as much as the other guy.. But if I want to play them I can fire up my Wii or Wii U. We dont need another system that has the same waggle fest.
How was Pikmin "waggle fest"?

maxcriden

Price will depend on manufacturing costs. Period!
I know your cries for a $250 price will go unheard.

Wouldn't $300 be self-destructive in the market, though?

I have always found the way people decide what price is right very weird. Not just because we know... well, nothing about the hardware, but because there's more to cost than power. It's all about value and that depends a lot on the concept and how appealing that can be to the market.
If NX is a powerful handheld that you can easily play on the TV, there's a lot of appeal and consequently perceived value there, even if it's less powerful than PS4. With the right marketing and line up, I can easily see a 300 price point being feasible. There are way too many valuables to draw lines in the sand price wise, at least up to a certain point.

You make a great point and logically I ant to agree with you but my gut rationally or not just says that's a dangerously high buy-in cost in this market.

Taker666

I hope it's between 200-250 and not any less cause then I'd worry about the quality of the display and the power of the device. I would love if the NX does truly end up being a family of systems and Nintendo later on releases a high end handheld with a gorgeous screen and possibly built with aluminum body. Mmm

If it's primarily designed to appeal to the Nintendo handheld market... then anything over $200 would likely be a disaster sales wise.

The Boat

Yes but being dramatically less powerful than all competition doesn't exactly help build a case for charging premium prices. If NX is low power than ideally that'll be reflected in those production costs/retail price like it was with the Wii.
300 isn't a premium price and this case is very different from Wii, since it would be using modern hardware on a portable form factor, while Wii used "old hardware".
Wouldn't $300 be self-destructive in the market, though?

You make a great point and logically I ant to agree with you but my gut rationally or not just says that's a dangerously high buy-in cost in this market.
Well, it's all very hypothetical, we know nothing and the market is unpredictable. I don't think 50 bucks make a lot of difference if they make it appealing. Lots of ifs right now, we never had a hybrid before, so it's hard to gauge how the public reacts to certain price points. If they market it as a regular handheld? Yeah, 300 is probably way too high, if they market it as a console you can play on the go and have access to all those Nintendo games, it might be feasible.

Vena

It's going to be the premier launch title for PS Trinity! duh!

5241ohnoes.gif

More seriously, though, haven't we ruled out everything but 3DS given the totals and the ever encroaching end of FY? I don't see them announcing any MH titles until Stories is out.

Dystify

Personally I hope for a price of $300 or higher, cause it means Nintendo didn't cheapen out on certain parts like they usually do. I want a machine that's appealing both on the inside and on the outside.

$250 for 3DS back then may have been too expensive, but nowadays everyone is used to buying more costly mobile electronics. *If* there's a huge market that finds NX appealing I'm sure they could get away with $300.

Realistically speaking I'm not so sure they'll go with anything above $250. This really depends on what NX actually is. (I'm only speculating the price on what I *think* NX is.)

Malus

300 isn't a premium price and this case is very different from Wii, since it would be using modern hardware on a portable form factor, while Wii used "old hardware".

It's certainly premium for the portable market this is trying to appeal to. They may be using more modern hardware but nothing has suggested to me that the hypothetical Nvidia Tegra internals are expensive enough to warrant that price, unless you can break it down for me.

If they wanna price this thing like a home console that's a huge risk in my view, considering how poorly that business is going for them. They'd really need to get a cheaper SKU out there.

Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Link's Crossbow Training had pointer control.

How was Pikmin "waggle fest"?

Zelda and Mario Galaxy don't need to rely on motion controls to be successful. Skyward Sword didnt sell very well and it had an install base of 100 million...

And I didnt mean that Pikmin was a waggle fest. I was mainly pointing out at the fact that any Wii remote functionality at this point has had no impact on driving the sales of casuals to the Wii U. Pikimin may be one of the best uses of pointer controls on the system, but it doesnt justify the existence of that functionality on the NX... Pikmin 3 sold poorly considering it was a first party title with a lot of emphasis on it to be successful.

Malus

Zelda and Mario Galaxy don't need to rely on motion controls to be successful. Skyward Sword didnt sell very well and it had an install base of 100 million...

And I didnt mean that Pikmin was a waggle fest. I was mainly pointing out at the fact that any Wii remote functionality at this point has had no impact on driving the sales of casuals to the Wii U. Pikimin may be one of the best uses of pointer controls on the system, but it doesnt justify the existence of that functionality on the NX because that game sold poorly considering it was a first party title with a lot of emphasis on it to be successful.

Why does it need justification? It's not as if Wiimote-like tech is expensive at all to implement, even when it came out. If it can make some games better that's plenty enough reason.

That's the thing though, they'll market it at both unless they're completely blind.
I don't know numbers, but new tech is naturally more expensive to manufacture. I'm not saying it's going to be 300, I have no idea, what I'm saying is value is subjective and imo, it's not impossible to sell such a product at higher than 200.

Sure they'll market it at both, that doesn't contradict anything I said. Doesn't make it any easier to sell a $300 machine to the handheld market. Since that's easily the bigger part of their business right now, it's be a huge crash and burn if they're unable to appeal to them.

I don't think the bolded part is necessarily true based on some things I've read here. At least when it comes to Pascal. Can't really elaborate as I don't know tech or numbers either.

I agree a larger price isn't an impossible sell, but it's definitely damn harder and would likely hurt them a lot unless they do everything else spectacularly.

The Boat

It's certainly premium for the portable market this is trying to appeal to. They may be using more modern hardware but nothing has suggested to me that the hypothetical Nvidia Tegra internals are expensive enough to warrant that price, unless you can break it down for me.

If they wanna price this thing like a home console that's a huge risk in my view, considering how poorly that business is going. They'd really need to get a cheaper SKU out there.
That's the thing though, they'll market it at both unless they're completely blind.
I don't know numbers, but new tech is naturally more expensive to manufacture. I'm not saying it's going to be 300, I have no idea, what I'm saying is value is subjective and imo, it's not impossible to sell such a product at higher than 200. At the very least I'm saying that making grand statements about being dead in the water above 200 is very premature.

Of course, aggressive (low) pricing can be a huge plus, there's no denying that.

Most likely. I wouldn't even rule out $200. Remember that they don't need to make a real profit, though. They might just break even.

This is what I'm thinking too. I think $200 should be their goal, regardless of whether it's marketed as a console or handheld just because they really need as big of an adoption rate as possible and as soon a possible. They've acknowledged that price was a major mistake for both the 3DS and Wii U so I firmly believe they will price this as low as possible without taking a loss on each unit sold.

Considering the retail price of a Shield tablet or Shield tv, I don't think the SoC they're using would be terribly expensive, so I think it's certainly doable for $199.

Why does it need justification? It's not as if Wiimote-like tech is expensive at all to implement, even when it came out. If it can make some games better that's plenty enough reason.

I just want Nintendo to move on from what made the Wii distinctly different. I want the NX to be its own unique thing rather than it being a continuation of the death spiral that occurred to the Wii or Wii U. Developers wont take it seriously if the main control set is motion.

I just want Nintendo to move on from what made the Wii distinctly different. I want the NX to be its own unique thing rather than it being a continuation of the death spiral that occurred to the Wii or Wii U. Developers wont take it seriously if the main control set is motion.

Considering the first official NX title, Zelda BotW, uses practically every button on the Wii U gamepad I would be very shocked if the NX didn't have that same full suite of buttons. Motion and touch controls on top of that are just gravy.

Oregano

5241ohnoes.gif

More seriously, though, haven't we ruled out everything but 3DS given the totals and the ever encroaching end of FY? I don't see them announcing any MH titles until Stories is out.

I think we ruled out it being an exclusive on anything that's not the 3DS but it could be a release on a combination of platforms.

Banned
Well, apparently 10K has rejoined the NX Console Truthers.

What? Why would he betray us?

The NX Church of Scientology???
LOL I love you guys. I'm gonna miss NX speculation when it's finally revealed.
10k never completely joined team not-completely-batshit-insane. I was ready to open him with open arms 😧

That sounds like a brutal fatality.

El Topo

I swear Nintendo is gonna pull a 95 E3 Sega moment and be like "this is our new console. And it's in stores...today! Surprise."

No. Just no.

At the very least I'm saying that making grand statements about being dead in the water above 200 is very premature.

Not really. When you enter the market this late, with so much competition in the console market (at low prices) and enormous pressure from smartphones and tablets, it's hard to imagine a product at above $200 not bombing. Entirely possible, depending on what the device actually is, but given all we know it seems rather unreasonable. I mentioned $249 a while ago as the maximal imaginable price, but realistically that is *way* too generous.

I have a feeling that the speculation is going to be more exciting than what they reveal is going to actually show us.
Naw I don't think so. Games are wayyyy more exciting than this hardware spec stuff. Seeing the next 3D Mario will by far be greater than anything here for me and Retros game too no matter what they're making.

We have not seen or heard from Nintendo with brand new high quality games in forever. It's just way too exciting to think about.

Kimawolf

If they wanna price this thing like a home console that's a huge risk in my view, considering how poorly that business is going for them. They'd really need to get a cheaper SKU out there.

it depends on how its positioned. I mean if Miyamoto was on stage with Tim Cook and they said "Introducing the Nintendo Apple NX" etc etc etc for only 299.99 people would go nuts about how its a steal because they associate Apple with premium and high class/quality.

ATM Nintendo has none of that, but if they can show the NX is a device which should cost much more than 299.99 and convince people are getting it for a steal they can sell it for that price.

I'm of the feeling personally it's going to be 249.99 for a base/casual model and 299.99 or 349.99 for a premium or "Gamer" model. rather that "Gamer" models includes a dock which can do something or a more powerful version of the same handheld ala Nvidia 950 and 960 is a different thing altogether.

But 249.99 will be the base price for sure.

The Boat

No. Just no.

Not really. When you enter the market this late, with so much competition in the console market (at low prices) and enormous pressure from smartphones and tablets, it's hard to imagine a product at above $200 not bombing. Entirely possible, depending on what the device actually is, but given all we know it seems rather unreasonable. I mentioned $249 a while ago as the maximal imaginable price, but realistically that is *way* too generous.
I disagree, if the product is differentiated enough, I don't think being "late" is a problem, especially when these other low prices aren't lower than NX's price (in the hypothetical "worst case scenario" where it costs 300).
A new console that you can play on the TV, pick up and take anywhere to play can be marketed at the same price as the competition if they play their cards right (again, perceived value),
I'm sure they want to sell it as low as possible, probably making a profit on each unit sold, but the reality is that production costs might not allow for a 200 price point. Maybe the rumors that NVidia gave them a good deal are true and they can do it though, but we're talking about new production lines with very recent technology, 200 smackers is a pretty low price for something like that.

If they wait until October, they'll likely want to avoid being too close to Color Splash, so if we think that they want to give a few weeks notice, late October to very early November is most likely. Mid-October is ruled out because they won't want to compete with PSVR for media attention. I can't believe Miyamoto flew all the way here for a single mobile game. I guess Kimishima really does see mobile as being as important to Nintendo's future as NX, if not more important.

The November puts them into competition with Pokemon Sun and Moon, then the Christmas rush, then all of the games coming out in January-March for competeing consoles...

Nope. There's no time left. Pack it up. We're waiting until E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom