• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 details from Interview ; Saving System, Escape. Immersion, & Pursuit

Neff

All this sounds very good.

What kind of inspiration do you think they'd pull from the original RE1 but not the remake?

It has a different kind of atmosphere. The mansion is less of a derelict and feels more vibrant, opulent and 'lived in', like something is still dwelling and possibly watching you. Hence the name 'Resident Evil', I guess.

Jawmuncher

As Capcom has explicitly stated in the past, they are trying to maintain a mystery as to what the game is and what is going on, and all of their PR actions have reinforced this. What they've wanted to chiefly showcase has been the two core pillars that they felt the franchise had been neglecting in recent entries. They're looking to go into their launch with as much under wraps as possible. I understand that is frustrating for many, but it is what it is.

Agreed.

Shredderi

Both the ESRB Ratings leak & the TGS interview spelt out that there will be enemies we can kill during the game. In fact, this interview you're replying to tells us that combat is a form of catharsis for tension, at least in their eyes. Fighting enemies you cannot kill would just reinforce tension, not relieve it.

The fact that they are inspired by RE1 so heavily should pretty much lay all these combat concerns to rest.

One of the big things they say that they want to set up, particularly in this game, is an air of mystery. They've said it since the game was announced, and they reinforce that intention in this very interview. One of the quotes in this interview is specifically "You didn't really know what you are fighting". Capcom has not wanted to spell out a whole lot of where we'll be and what we'll be dealing with throughout this game, and its for a reason. Even in these interviews, they just allude to what will be in the game, not spell it out specifically. We have several leaks that have corroborated what the devs are saying here. I understand people want to be concerned about the game's new direction, but there really isn't any reason to.

Want to? Want to? Right.

I have no idea what this means.

I don't think Capcom knows what this means. The two games have almost the same scenario and gameplay. REmake adds the variables of having to burn bodies and monsters being able to break down some doors.

Sounding more and more like I'll just wait for REmake 2.

Bergerac

It has a different kind of atmosphere. The mansion is less of a derelict and feels more vibrant, opulent and 'lived in', like something is still dwelling and possibly watching you. Hence the name 'Resident Evil', I guess.

That does make sense for RE7's Bakers... though as a general rule, I'd say derelict > lived-in. Or more to the point, when a seemingly derelict space reveals itself to be more lived-in than first thought.

Works for RE7 given the circumstances but I think the change of atmos for REmake was the right decsision. Lisa would be a perfect example.

That's a really great way of putting it, now that I think back on both games.

Sayad

Holding my breath, but "escape, immersion & pursuit." isn't very promising, I like most of the rest though. If I end up not liking it, I'll at least have REmake 2.

This is my favorite part:
*Combat – And yes, they’ve eased our biggest fear, there will be combat. They’ve even emphasized that it is core to the Resident Evil feeling as it gives you the release of tension that you need by finding a shotgun and fighting back.

Neiteio

Holding my breath, but "escape, immersion & pursuit." isn't very promising, I like most of the rest though. If I end up not liking it, I'll at least have REmake 2.
Since "escape" and "pursuit" sound redundant, I imagine "escape" means figuring out how to get out of an area (i.e. puzzle-solving), while "pursuit" are scenes where an enemy is literally pursuing you.

Plasma

Banned
This is just my guesswork at play with paying attention, but I'd fathom a guess enemies can be defeated for an 'area', but can be resurrected from the dead and mutate further at a later point. I doubt the Baker Family is going to stay humanoid the whole game, there is a hint they have rejuvenation abilities, and due to the game having confirmed via ERSB things like a chainsaw and flamethrower in the arsenal, I'm taking it they might be able to grow back limbs, but it has been confirmed enemies can be defeated and killed as well, so my assumption works that it might be a situation you can defeat them for the area but they'll be back later in the game. Maybe might go the Nemesis system where defeating them gives you something as a bonus, but maybe might also go the Crimson Head route where defeating them this time makes them a more mutated threat next time.

The end of that is far more my thinking outloud than the beginning, but due to the newest trailer hinting they can rejuvenate, the fact this game has a "smaller, more personal selection of enemies", and with weapons like chainsaw and flamethrower as options, I'm taking it they can rejuvinate and we may get into some real body horror during the game, but I also know its been confirmed you can take out your foes instead of just, "they won't die no matter how much I shoot them" syndrome.

I'm just crossing my fingers for regular arse zombies to be scattered around as well.

Sayad

Since "escape" and "pursuit" sound redundant, I imagine "escape" means figuring out how to get out of an area (i.e. puzzle-solving), while "pursuit" are scenes where an enemy is literally pursuing you.
Makes sense, that kind of "escape" have always been a big part of RE games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm just crossing my fingers for regular arse zombies to be scattered around as well.

You'll probably be a bit disappointed as the game has confirmed there's no hordes of enemies in the game or 'popcorn' units, if you will. The game focuses on a more personal selection of enemies. But it is confirmed that the game has non-humanoid enemies, mutated monstrosities, and the one we have confirmed right now from a validated multiple times leak is
a giant underwater behemoth, said to be one of the biggest creatures in the series up to this point.

Kazuhira

I wonder why they made that distinction about being inspired by the original game and not REmake,really curious about that.
Everything sounds great so far imo.

Sounding better with each interview as always.

I wonder why they chose to go with RE1 for inspiration rather than REmake. REmake imo is pretty much superior to the original in every way.

Remake is very streamlined in what gets Barry/Rebecca killed vs the original.

Barry in REmake is just a yes/no a specific point. In the original he could die in several places and it was based on several yes/no choices, as well as certain actions or inactions you took at specific points.

Original was much better in this regard.

Barakov

Good to get a little more info on this. I appreciate that they're trying to tell as little as they can about it(especially how most companies are streaming a bunch of stuff up until release) but it's a bit frustrating not knowing what it is other than a horror game from a first person perspective. Glad to hear for all intents and purposes this is still a RE game.

Also it's good to hear that we'll hear more about RE2R pretty soon. Outbreak remasters/Outbreak 3 would be great.

Dusk Golem

UPDATE: Someone sent me some clarifications having seen the topic:

They were influenced by RE1 over REmake because REmake is well a REmake. It's retreading old grounds and improving upon the formula. Where RE1 was breaking new grounds...So that's why RE1 was the choice.

They also mentioned in another interview specifically that the item boxes are in fact shared but I guess we could have assumed that.

When they said linear some people in that thread are taking it the wrong way. They meant linear in terms of story, it's not an open world type story deal. There's hub locations and multiple paths but it's a linear story A->B.

---

Did I miss something, What is the Madhouse Mode ?

Madhouse Mode is the game's 'hardest difficulty', the specifics of it are unknown but I guess the saving system for one is different. Also been hints it remixes and changes elements of the game. It is unlocked when you beat the game once normally, but we know of it since in a kind of dumb move it's unlocked from the start if you pre-order the game.

Also, through murmurings of the internet, it has been said there's an unlockable bonus game mode in RE7 outside of Madhouse Mode, but we won't know until we know I suppose and those murmurs aren't validated but did include a few interesting tidbits which fit in with some other things.

sounds like a typical horror game you would see a in a Post amnesia world with limited combat. Doesn't inspire much confidence for me the more I hear about RE7. Probably a game made for modern players and youtube let's players. Oh well I have some low expectations for RE2Make. But it's probably going to be a TPS like 4,5,6 and nothing like REmake which is what most people want I think.

Koyuga

I really hope we get action focused side games and get the main games back to being about single player horror. RE7 needs to be a success.

Dusk Golem

sounds like a typical horror game you would see a in a Post amnesia world with limited combat. Doesn't inspire much confidence for me the more I hear about RE7. Probably a game made for modern players and youtube let's players. Oh well I have some low expectations for RE2Make. But it's probably going to be a TPS like 4,5,6 and nothing like REmake which is what most people want I think.

I think too many people work with tinted glasses that see all first-person horror games as the same. There's preference for individuals and all that and one can feel as they feel, but as a person who plays a ton of horror games from all eras of the genre of all different types, the effort of people to try to classify all first-person horror games as 'the same ole, same ole', seems silly to me. If people actually played more of these games they'd realize how mistaken this assumption is, while there's clones as there is in any genre there's a lot more diversity than many try to paint it as. I also will mention part of the reason I'm excited for RE7 is due to what it does differently than most first-person horrors, which is actually a pretty good chunk at play here I could get in-depth about if you're interested.

I'm not trying to say that what I say will appeal to you personally, but I get kind of tired of seeing passive comments about first-person horror games who obviously have a very specific tint-colored glasses when it comes to the genre.

Riposte

RIP The Mercenaries 2005-2012 (RE3 doesn't count), you had a good run. Please make another Mercs game Capcom.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
UPDATE: Someone sent me some clarifications having seen the topic:

They were influenced by RE1 over REmake because REmake is well a REmake. It's retreading old grounds and improving upon the formula. Where RE1 was breaking new grounds...So that's why RE1 was the choice.

So they're saying that it's more influenced by RE1 in the sense that's it's a novel breakthrough like RE1 was, and as a result it's less like RE1 than REmake was.

So clarifying! What a baffling way to explain something so simple.

Neiteio

RIP The Mercenaries 2005-2012 (RE3 doesn't count), you had a good run. Please make another Mercs game Capcom.
Maybe a Revelations 3 can have both Raid and Mercs. Or maybe they should just make a game called Resident Evil Mercenaries: The Raid, which features both game types, every RE character ever, and levels from throughout the series.

Sounds like the old RE game we want. I am still afraid of the combat, that is key. Make it a stupid hide and seek game mostly and it's terrible. Make it a holy shit I am low on ammo better run game and it's awesome.

Koozek

I'm really excited about how they've finally shaken up the formular again. Hopefully the next RE4 moment for the series. Looking forward to this!

Sounds like the old RE game we want. I am still afraid of the combat, that is key. Make it a stupid hide and seek game mostly and it's terrible. Make it a holy shit I am low on ammo better run game and it's awesome.

This I can get behind. Where combat is the main gameplay and hide & seek or run past enemies stuff is optional but beneficial(like old RE games). But to me it seems like this game is other way around.

Archtreyz

I really do feel like Capcom is gonna start being more experimental with RE franchise. While I didn't enjoy Umbrella Corps outside the first few minutes, it's at least cool to see them try and do different things. RE7 looks great, and if they want to build it into its own thing later on, and experiment even more with what the franchise could be, even better.

Jawmuncher

I really do feel like Capcom is gonna start being more experimental with RE franchise. While I didn't enjoy Umbrella Corps outside the first few minutes, it's at least cool to see them try and do different things. RE7 looks great, and if they want to build it into its own thing later on, and experiment even more with what the franchise could be, even better.

At this point part of the RE series' appeal is going to be shaking it up it seems.
Just a matter of if they can keep everyone happy with their own games, or if they'll be going back and forth with dropping fans.

Bergerac

I'm actually glad Mercenaries is taking a break. The RE3 version is preferable to me, because it was just a hyper version of the campaign play, but the recent iterations are just as responsible for the series' action fatigue as anything in the campaigns as far as I'm concerned.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well, we clearly need a standalone Mercs/Raid title (with maybe Raid taking some cues from Desperate Escape)

The rest sounds sexy as hell... still want to see the game, though

Jawmuncher

I'm actually glad Mercenaries is taking a break. The RE3 version is preferable to me, because it was just a hyper version of the campaign play, but the recent iterations are just as responsible for the series' action fatigue as anything in the campaigns as far as I'm concerned.

I don't agree with that. It's not like any of the modes were made with mercenaries first, and then the campaign. Hell still seems a lot of people don't even bother with the modes. Considering the amount of people who say RE6 gameplay is terrible yet don't bother with that mode to see the full systems in action.

The action fatigue if anything, was due to capcom not trying to cater to it's divided fanbase.
When even the spin-offs stuck to action and nothing else there's a problem. Even the Revelations games were action over horror.

Neff

So long as it's possible to run past enemies, rather than being forced to retreat or detour around them, then I agree.

I'm open to the idea of being initially super-intimidated by new enemies because I don't know how to defeat them, in fact I'd welcome it, but being able to negate encounters by dashing through and getting to your destination in the shortest time possible is a very important component of explorable RE for me, especially on replays. Dunno how or if that's going to work in first person, though.

Jawmuncher

So long as it's possible to run past enemies, rather than being forced to retreat or detour around them, then I agree.

I'm open to the idea of being initially super-intimidated by new enemies because I don't know how to defeat them, in fact I'd welcome it, but being able to negate encounters by dashing through and getting to your destination in the shortest time possible is a very important component of explorable RE for me. Dunno how or if that's going to work in first person, though.

I think a big question mark is if running from enemies through rooms. Considering how far games have come. I don't think we can really get away with the idea of "Oh I ran into a new room, so the monster forgot about me". Even RE3 ended up having you chased through multiple screens.

However that set up in a mansion style setting would make replaying hard.

sublimit

Banned
If all they are saying is true (and i don't believe they are lying) then why all the footage they have shown and let us play so far is so vastly different from Resident Evil?

Also in terms of percentage how much of classic RE will be in this game and how much of Outlast/PT/Amnesia?And there are other things that trouble me based on the demo.How much forced walking will be in the game?How many more design inconsistencies like the one when you try to follow the guy in the video only to be blocked by invisible walls? Or not being able to press the button in the fireplace before you have watched the video tape?

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, I really like the idea of following RE1 rather than REmake actually, the mansion being more lived-in was a cool atmosphere that was lost with the derelict style one (which I also love). It gives off a more realistic feeling.

Guess January is the final update and there probably won't be anything else until then. Hope they remaster the entire outbreak series as one game and have online enabled. I only played it as a kid so I had no idea what I was doing.

pikablu

Well atleast they said it will continue after 6. This was my main concern. There was a lot unanswered after Jake's ending. Still can't get over the first person though.

Neff

I think a big question mark is if running from enemies through rooms. Considering how far games have come. I don't think we can really get away with the idea of "Oh I ran into a new room, so the monster forgot about me". Even RE3 ended up having you chased through multiple screens.

However that set up in a mansion style setting would make replaying hard.

Well zombies could follow you into other rooms in REmake if you didn't kill them, but there needs to be certain rules which the player can work to their advantage. Realism is only fun to a point.

Not that we know how bio-weapons would or wouldn't behave, of course.

Also, I just realised you slyly want this game to be Dino Crisis :D

G-Fex

and the one we have confirmed right now from a validated multiple times leak is
a giant underwater behemoth, said to be one of the biggest creatures in the series up to this point.

I bet it won't be defeatable at all or it'll just die in some sort of scripted event.

Dusk Golem

I bet it won't be defeatable at all or it'll just die in some sort of scripted event.

I actually would prefer it if it had some nice handling. The first thing it makes me think of is the Giant Shark from REmake, which dies in a scripted way, but it's actually one of my favorite bosses in the game.

OniBaka

It will be pretty interesting how they handle the combat.

If it's back to the roots then have to make using melee weapons very risky to use like in the old school ones and not like dying light and such. Having good hit detection and reactions from it.

Gun play would be tricky since you will be more accurate due to first person so either have to balance it with a lot less bullets, make aiming harder or make the enemies faster and not come at you at a straight line.

I wonder how they will tackle on taking optimal routes in the mansion though since I don't think you can run away from zombies by going through a door like in the originals and planning your routes.

Top Bottom