• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

The last of us is the game that best carries the tradition imo. The cut to black at the split second the gore gets bad makes it even more horrifying.

Yeah, that game did it way better, the big dude ripping your face apart is something else.

Edit: Finished Survival+ in 21. Could've done it without getting hit, but I got greedy on the first guy. Didn't get hit afterwards.

I like how they play differently based on the bag they're wearing. That game becomes more about various trump effects, and some of them get crazy later on. It's a shame the AI is too dumb to play around the ones you unlock later on. As someone who likes card games, I love this mode. Seemingly simple at first, but has the potential to be insanely strategic.

zWyFyTm.jpg

carlsojo

I AM A GOLDEN GOD

that oblivion card was fucking bullshit

all of his cards were fucking bullshit!

I DIDNT GET THE FUCKING TROPHY?
nevermind there it is. i was about to lose my shit

What exactly does the dlc play like? Is it more like searching around with Jack lurking and calling out to you, or molded shoot'em up with lots of ammo? Or Lucas birthday cake!?

I literally know zero about it, other than the price, since I went in mostly blind outside of the demo

Just finished the game (finally).. I am really disappointed in the stupid choice you have to make between Mia and Zoe. I chose Zoe because Mia was too obvious, but literally 10 seconds later Zoe dies and the game basically says "LOL FOOLED U DUMBASS".

Capcom stick to 1 ending only please, you can't make a proper story with different paths. You can't even make a proper story with one straight path!

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished the game (finally).. I am really disappointed in the stupid choice you have to make between Mia and Zoe. I chose Zoe because Mia was too obvious, but literally 10 seconds later Zoe dies and the game basically says "LOL FOOLED U DUMBASS".

Capcom stick to 1 ending only please, you can't make a proper story with different paths. You can't even make a proper story with one straight path!

Yeah it was very stupid.

And then, despite leaving Mia back at the dock, she is magically outside of the ship.

Just finished the game today, absolutely loved it. I would like it if the mainline series continues in this fashion and the Revelations series continues as a horror/actiony hybrid.

Pinky

Banned

Yeah, I agree. I really liked Zoe and had a lot of sympathy for her. But nope! Poof! Dead!

Smh

jonno394

Man, Eveline as the main antagonist has really dampened by enjoyment of the game. The Baker family were so good and now this. Just finished the old videotape, the whole "can we be a family again....well I don't need you anymore" jump scare attempt was just pathetic. The game was genuinely creepy and unsettling at times, now it's just m'eh.

Psycho little kids with supernatural powers really don't do anything for me.

Man, Eveline as the main antagonist has really dampened by enjoyment of the game. The Baker family were so good and now this. Just finished the old videotape, the whole "can we be a family again....well I don't need you anymore" jump scare attempt was just pathetic. The game was genuinely creepy and unsettling at times, now it's just m'eh.

Psycho little kids with supernatural powers really don't do anything for me.

Yeah she's bad. It's not even that little girls can't be creepy, it's just that Evaline's less "twins from The Shining" and more "Veruca Salt".

Eve was evil for the sake of the plot , her actions were contradictory most of the time even for herself

Yup. The game spends so much time telling you to be sympathetic to her situation and all, but her behavior goes beyond "programming/design".

They should have just stuck with her being sympathetic throughout. Doesn't mean she couldn't be creepy like with the Detention Room, but the low bar bullshit like the maniacal laughter was ineffective at best.

Yeah it was very stupid.

And then, despite leaving Mia back at the dock, she is magically outside of the ship.

That's actually easily supported in the game that Eveline "hijacked" her and brought her to the ship.

valeu

I just finished the game and...what happened to Lucas? There was no boss battle with him and it just seemed like he disappeared completely. Did I miss something?

I just finished the game and...what happened to Lucas? There was no boss battle with him and it just seemed like he disappeared completely. Did I miss something?

The Not a Hero DLC will probably wrap that up. The radio chatter you hear before the end section of the game talks about how they saw him fleeing into the mines.

Having played Daughters (Failed Ending), it's cemented that this is the most botched RE narrative in the series.

• Nearly all of the journal entries detailing the time between Eveline's arrival and the Baker's transformation are pretty much thrown out. No slow realization something is wrong with Eveline. The cancer and other bits are wiped out in favor of a instant turn. Hard to imagine the Bakers setting up doors and grocery shopping in such a state.
  • Speaking of, is the shadow plinth present in the hall? It should be given the 1993 contract.
  • Eveline is solidified as a BS maniacal force than the sympathetic BS forced down our throats. It's a shame that we couldn't get a better version of Lisa Trevor or William Birkin where we actually feel bad for the situation their in and for having to put them down.
  • The bugs with Marguerite still remain nonsensical with the established rules of what Eveline does. It's a shame so much twisted thought went into her mutations and behavior, but little to none into what is actually going on.
  • Other than Lucas, it seems quite clear that the Bakers are good people. So then what's up with the morgue/crematorium, as well as the impossible feat of having a basement on swampland/coastal ground? Why build the Detention Room if Eveline controls them (unless that's for Mia or Zoe, but doubtful due to it lying beyond Eveline's playrroms)?

I feel like something went incredibly wrong where the writers switched up their initial direction, but have retained elements of it due to budget/time and leading to this glaring clash. I just don't see how otherwise this was all looked at favorably to move forward on.

Edit: And it's a shame, as the presentation even in this (btw, really loved Daughters in that regard) is on point and could've been something really special beyond a VR flagship piece and return of survival horror. While there would still be issues with the level design and enemy variety, the narrative being consistent and engaging would have bolstered the game by a good degree.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Yep. RE4 didn't have decaps in Japan.
It's also why 5 and 6 didn't have decaps, capcom didn't want to make more than one version.

Correct - CERO forbids decapitation and dismemberment.
DLC "21," for example, has also been modified for Japan. Instead of getting your finger lopped off by a mini-guillotine, the device snaps you finger upward in the opposite direction. I don't know which one's worse. Latter sounds more gruesome with lingering pain.

AdaWong

to be honest, the Eveilne "lets be a family!" plotline is even worse than the Simmons "i want Ada back!" plotline in RE6.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Having played Daughters (Failed Ending), it's cemented that this is the most botched RE narrative in the series.

• Nearly all of the journal entries detailing the time between Eveline's arrival and the Baker's transformation are pretty much thrown out. No slow realization something is wrong with Eveline. The cancer and other bits are wiped out in favor of a instant turn. Hard to imagine the Bakers setting up doors and grocery shopping in such a state.
  • Speaking of, is the shadow plinth present in the hall? It should be given the 1993 contract.
  • Eveline is solidified as a BS maniacal force than the sympathetic BS forced down our throats. It's a shame that we couldn't get a better version of Lisa Trevor or William Birkin where we actually feel bad for the situation their in and for having to put them down.
  • The bugs with Marguerite still remain nonsensical with the established rules of what Eveline does. It's a shame so much twisted thought went into her mutations and behavior, but little to none into what is actually going on.
  • Other than Lucas, it seems quite clear that the Bakers are good people. So then what's up with the morgue/crematorium, as well as the impossible feat of having a basement on swampland/coastal ground? Why build the Detention Room if Eveline controls them (unless that's for Mia or Zoe, but doubtful due to it lying beyond Eveline's playrroms)?

I feel like something went incredibly wrong where the writers switched up their initial direction, but have retained elements of it due to budget/time and leading to this glaring clash. I just don't see how otherwise this was all looked at favorably to move forward on.

Edit: And it's a shame, as the presentation even in this (btw, really loved Daughters in that regard) is on point and could've been something really special beyond a VR flagship piece and return of survival horror. While there would still be issues with the level design and enemy variety, the narrative being consistent and engaging would have bolstered the game by a good degree.

The DLC ends with the family back to normal, sitting around the table. Plus from the game itself we see that infection goes from normal to straight up insane in waves (Mia). So no the DLC in no way contradicts the main story. As for the house, other than the locked doors, we already know that Lucas was some sort of killer, and that the family was in denial about it. Plus the whole place was built by George Trevor's company. Everything checks out.

to be honest, the Eveilne "lets be a family!" plotline is even worse than the Simmons "i want Ada back!" plotline in RE6.

It's the best story/BOW since the G-Virus. It takes from a ton of classic horror films, and reinvents the whole thing ala RE. Beautiful.

Jawmuncher

I agree with the earlier post. Evelines plot easily is the worst RE plot. Actually I think RE has had an issue with plots in general for awhile not. That's not to say you can't have good moments in a bad plot. But the last good "for what the series is" plot was RE5.

6 had good character moments and so did Rev 2. But their larger plots were pretty dumb.

7 was going well plot wise until the eveline thing.
Had they pushed more hallucinations and less little girl that looks like chucky laughing in your face, crying about wanting a family. It would have been a lot better. The pieces are there, but it feels like capcom mashed the puzzle together rather than perfectly putting it together.

I hope we never see anymore evil little kids in RE. The writers can't seem to pull it off and not make it the absolute worst thing.

If there's any feedback capcom takes over anything, I hope it's for the story. If I can't ever see action gameplay again so be it. But at least let me have a story where I'm not rolling my eyes and waiting for it to end.

The DLC ends with the family back to normal, sitting around the table. Plus from the game itself we see that infection goes from normal to straight up insane in waves (Mia). So no the DLC in no way contradicts the main story. As for the house, other than the locked doors, we already know that Lucas was some sort of killer, and that the family was in denial about it. Plus the whole place was built by George Trevor's company. Everything checks out.

It's the best story/BOW since the G-Virus. It takes from a ton of classic horror films, and reinvents the whole thing ala RE. Beautiful.

Mia is a bit of a special case as highlighted by Lucas' files. None of the other Bakers had such violent swings to where Eveline wanted them locked up. The Bakers are "normal" to where Eveline wants them as, which by her design still means violent.

That "normal" view is a still frame of them sitting at the table. There's no dialogue, movement, or anything other than sitting at a table that suggests things are normal. With Eveline present, it's just as likely of her "playing house" in her influence. The point is that the Bakers are immediately subjugated to Eveline from zero to 11, rather than the creeping realization/process shown in Marguerite's diary.

Lucas being a killer (already addressed) and the Baker's denial of his problems doesn't make the Baker parents villains with torture chambers and crematoriums. It just makes them shitty parents and ignorant people (we only know of one pre-Eveline killing by Lucas).

The Plantation estate was not built by George Trevor or the comapny that operated past his death with the given information. All Trevor & Whatever Co. were contracted for were the shadow plinths in 1993.

Even in the main story the game is inconsistent, particularly with everything dealing directly with Eveline. The DLC just furthered the issue.

Again the presentation is rather remarkable for the most part to the point where it hides some of these things. But once you start replaying and go in knowing what pieces are all on the table from the beginning, it's found that so much of it just doesn't fit.

I agree with the earlier post. Evelines plot easily is the worst RE plot. Actually I think RE has had an issue with plots in general for awhile not. That's not to say you can't have good moments in a bad plot. But the last good "for what the series is" plot was RE5.

7 has the most disjointed narrative (odd due to a series that has held its canon together throughout), but the plot itself isn't so bad. 6 still remains the worst
yeah, here we go again
overall, despite Piers, Jake, and Sherry having outstanding moments and development that can't be found anywhere else in Resident Evil.

I mean, she's a completely fucked up 3 yo, her having the thought process of a baby isn't that far fetched and is much more interesting than blue balls making a man crazy.

Jawmuncher

I mean, she's a completely fucked up 3 yo, her having the thought process of a baby isn't that far fetched and is much more interesting than blue balls making a man crazy.

Can't say I agree. Since we got far better set pieces and moments from that shitty setup than we did RE7. In 7 the set up and poor execution is forced in your face. In 6 it was a building block for the events of a bio terror outbreak. The only time where it really loops backs to that is when ada confronts Carla and Leon's fight with Simmons on the sky way.

Compared to RE7 where the whole story has to tie back to eveline and her tantrums and this virus that capcom doesn't seem to have any concrete facts on.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mia on Madhouse is total bullshit.

Easy way to kill her:
Block when she charges. Instant stagger and damage opening. Stay away from her at all other times.

Blocking is important in MH, I think it's why they give you that specific reward for completing the game the first time.

It's really good.

They imprinted Mia on her like a mother for security, and there's a text file in the game that theorises a little about how it could also be due to her being a child - an infant considering her lifespan - and her inherent need for family, combined with her power and how the family unit is a very strong metaphor for order/belonging.

I thought it was really well done, and tied into the Baker families involvement perfectly. It also lends the earlier parts of the game a really weird vibe as Mia talks of "daddy" etc...

At first it seems you've found a secret history for your wife, that she comes from this fucked up family, and there's some dangerous mystery surrounding them she kept hidden for years, it's quite creepy.

Then it unfolds into this fringe event in the RE universe a we know it, that it's all this random fucked up tragedy, and I feel it all links up really well /especially/ as there is a distinct lack of heavy handed exposition and we learn most of this via the files we find in the game.

It's one of the things the game does very well, imo.

6 had good character moments and so did Rev 2. But their larger plots were pretty dumb.

7 was going well plot wise until the eveline thing.
Had they pushed more hallucinations and less little girl that looks like chucky laughing in your face, crying about wanting a family. It would have been a lot better. The pieces are there, but it feels like capcom mashed the puzzle together rather than perfectly putting it together.

I hope we never see anymore evil little kids in RE. The writers can't seem to pull it off and not make it the absolute worst thing.

If there's any feedback capcom takes over anything, I hope it's for the story. If I can't ever see action gameplay again so be it. But at least let me have a story where I'm not rolling my eyes and waiting for it to end.

Ha, your thoughts on RE7 trigger me almost as much as RE7 triggers you. :p

It's really good.

They imprinted Mia on her like a mother for security, and there's a text file in the game that theorises a little about how it could also be due to her being a child - an infant considering her lifespan - and her inherent need for family, combined with her power and how the family unit is a very strong metaphor for order/belonging.

I thought it was really well done, and tied into the Baker families involvement perfectly. It also lends the earlier parts of the game a really weird vibe as Mia talks of "daddy" etc...

At first it seems you've found a secret history for your wife, that she comes from this fucked up family, and there's some dangerous mystery surrounding them she kept hidden for years, it's quite creepy.

Then it unfolds into this fringe event in the RE universe a we know it, that it's all this random fucked up tragedy, and I feel it all links up really well /especially/ as there is a distinct lack of heavy handed exposition and we learn most of this via the files we find in the game.

It's one of the things the game does very well, imo.

I agree with this for the most part, that that purely on a narrative level it's a good fit, but the execution of Evaline's character was real bad. She doesn't come across as scary, intimidating, or pitiable, she just seems obnoxious and spoiled and is made all the worse with the poor attempts at jump scares by throwing her ugly grinning mug in the players face.

They should have made her a lot quieter and more like a lost little girl that needed help that maybe has something slightly off about her, instead of spoiled demon child. That would have made her scarier, more sympathetic, and more believable as a infiltrator BOW.

No wonder they hid his face the entire game, makes rookie Leon from 2 look like Joel from the Last of Us

lmao

Zakalwe

Banned
I agree with this for the most part, that that purely on a narrative level it's a good fit, but the execution of Evaline's character was real bad. She doesn't come across as scary, intimidating, or pitiable, she just seems obnoxious and spoiled and is made all the worse with the poor attempts at jump scares by throwing her ugly grinning mug in the players face.

They should have made her a lot quieter and more like a lost little girl that needed help that maybe has something slightly off about her, instead of spoiled demon child. That would have made her scarier, more sympathetic, and more believable as a infiltrator BOW.

Oh yeh, I agree for sure. While the overall story and delivery was great, imo, her actual character delivery was a low point.

SomTervo

The worst thing about the Eveline plotline is that the reveal of her being the granny is awfully done. It's really clever imo but they flop the execution. Like they hint at it in one document and then the photograph with E-0001 on the back - then fucking shove it down your throat in the last fight anyway. They should have just left it unsaid.

Also that room with like 6 documents in it explaining the whole backstory was awful. Really not happy with that.

Enjoyed the game greatly overall though.

Yeah, but aren't most FPS games just arms though? Ethan is fully modeled otherwise besides a head

It's called FBP or something (like full body presence). The first game to do it was Thief: Deadly Shadows i think. It's used in some games to increase immersion (and i think it's amazing) but it's also a lot of work for something not super important (most players won't look down much). IIRC Halo 2 onwards had it.

Top Bottom