• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

I found a cool little easter egg. When you first get to the ship and you're at the part where you can see outside, there's a paper on the ground that says Jill's Sandwiches along with a phone number.

Then there's another one that repeats dead by Dawn, dead by Dawn, which is one of the trophy titles.

Jawmuncher

I found a cool little easter egg. When you first get to the ship and you're at the part where you can see outside, there's a paper on the ground that says Jill's Sandwiches along with a phone number.

Then there's another one that repeats dead by Dawn, dead by Dawn, which is one of the trophy titles.

Why didn't you call the number?

Out of the all of the events and situations she has been through, see takes Barry's joke and turns it into an opportunity. Smart move.

Yeah, I think there's only a week until everyone else gets everything though.

Yup, both Banned Footage Volume 1 & 2 hot on the 21st for PC/Xbox One.

Also think the two other DLC stuff hits all platfotms the same time, but to be seen. The DLC I'm most excited for is the third piece in the Season Pass. Only know tidbits, but it seems interesting.

Alright thanks. At least it's nice we get more at once

I'm kinda glad I rented this instead of buying it since, after getting the Platinum, I feel no need to go back in a replay the game. Sure, I'd like to discover even more secrets in the mansion and further learn the quirks of Jack's AI. but the game is filled with far too many unskippable story scenes. I'll probably buy the game later down the line when it goes for $10 but goddamn I hope Capcom patches in a way to skip the opening, at the very least.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Daughters is okay-ish, too much focus on hide-an-seek gameplay which i don't like at all. Still you can get more glimpses of what the Bakers were like before Eveline fuck up everything.

Jack's Birthday is RE7's diet version of Mercenaries

21 surprisingly is quite good, maybe because i like card games overall. Continues to show how completely fucked up Lucas is. Jigsaw would be proud.

They have everything in place, a bunch of playable characters, a ton of weapons, and they've proven they can fit the timed mechanics into this game.

I'm going to wait until all of the DLC comes out. I would be shocked if the last playable mode isn't straight up Mercenaries.

None of these dlc have been all that interesting enough to buy. They just seem like bonus modes they would tack on in older games. I mean a card game, really? And the story based ones? The Clancy one was whatever and the Zoe tape seems so short, uncompelling, and doesn't make a lot of sense. I was hoping these story dlcs would be Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape quality at least.

Here's hoping Not A Hero delivers

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Spoilers: discussion of the Daughters DLC.

It's inconsistent with the main game, isn't it? Seemed like an abstract portrayal of the events. Marguerite is infected completely the same day that she meets Eveline, and so is Jack, whereas the game seemed to say it was a more gradual descent into insanity.

It doesn't explain why Zoe isn't infected. I thought it would be due to her resenting her family for adopting a daughter, but she seems to be around Eveline as much as everyone else.

And do they explain how Zoe survives. She'd need months of food. Years, actually. And in all that time she never leaves the Baker estate?

Isn't this the spoiler thread? Pretty sure spoiler tags aren't necessary here! And no I didn't feel like Daughters was inconsistent with the main game. This felt like the first moments of infection. Like we've seen with Mia, when you aren't fully infected, you still get moments of humanity. So to me it was clear that there would be moments of calm, before the actual shitstorm. In fact the DLC ends with the family looking normal, over a meal.

Also Jack's 55th Birthday is one of the best modes ever in RE. So addictive.

Just finished Daughters part of the DLC--very short and similar to the Mia tape in the main game--not really that great.
21 is pretty great though--some cool twists on blackjack and I'm a sucker for card games

None of these dlc have been all that interesting enough to buy. They just seem like bonus modes they would tack on in older games. I mean a card game, really? And the story based ones? The Clancy one was whatever and the Zoe tape seems so short, uncompelling, and doesn't make a lot of sense. I was hoping these story dlcs would be Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape quality at least.

Here's hoping Not A Hero delivers

As much as I really like the DLC, I'm sort of surprised more people haven't taken Capcom to task for these. Especially since the main game doesn't have any extra modes aside from Madhouse.

Jawmuncher

Even this DLC is divisive lol

As much as I really like the DLC, I'm sort of surprised more people haven't taken Capcom to task for these. Especially since the main game doesn't have any extra modes aside from Madhouse.

If some of this wasn't intended for the main game, I would bet at least one of these probably was. Considering how soon they released after the launch of the game.
You know something here was done alongside the game and held onto. Which is kinda BS since like every RE game has had some sort of bonus mode.

Daughters was really short and unsatisfying. They should've done much more with it.

And it's a shame that all of the other tapes seem to focus on Clancy. There were a bunch of people that went missing. It would've been more interesting to see their stories. Not Clancy's continuing misadventures in the Baker house, considering what happens in the main game. The DLCs really feel like a missed opportunity.

21 was kind of fun, but I gave up on survival+. I can't really take 10 rounds of the AI cheating and pulling 4 trump cards per round.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll be frank but 21 is complete fucking ass. Should have been an unlockable mode at best. Why is this actual DLC? It's bullshit top to bottom. Ugh. It is plenty atmospheric and the card motive is great but....it's just not very replayable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone having a problem getting the game to load up after installing Banned Footage Vol. 2?I get all the developer logos and warnings but it doesn't move past the VHS tape loading image to get to the menu. I've restarted the game and my Pro a few times.

EDIT: Rebuilt the database too and it still won't load.

I like Jacks 55th birthday quite a bit--it'll be fun trying to get S ranks.
Overall if you combined all the first 2 DLC's it's a pretty decent amount of content but it's all "add on" mini games and small tape content. With how close it was released to the main game I really think Capcom should have just added it on instead of releasing it like this. Would have been cool to unlock most of it by beating the main campaign.

Overall if you combined all the first 2 DLC's it's a pretty decent amount of content but it's all "add on" mini games and small tape content. With how close it was released to the main game I really think Capcom should have just added it on instead of releasing it like this. Would have been cool to unlock most of it by beating the main campaign.
I seriously would have looooved the game if it included the banned footage content right in the package.
It certainly would make the game feel a bit more complete. If anything, at least the Daughters tape should have been included.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I seriously would have looooved the game if it included the banned footage content right in the package.
It certainly would make the game feel a bit more complete. If anything, at least the Daughters tape should have been included.

Honestly....all the DLC content so far should have been included. It really feels like stuff sliced from the final release. Not a good look for Capcom IMO.

I really like the rules of 21, got to opponent 9 in Survival+ and then died. A lot of stupid mistakes with trump cards, I probably could've done better.

Fighting transformed Hoffman is pretty cool, but I still haven't fought the secret enemy yet.

Jack's Birthday has Molded wearing fedoras.

Did you know this?

Football helmet molded >>>> M'olded

archvile7

I'm also of the Resident Evil 4 is scary camp or at the least very tense at times. A lot of tension and fear is probably from the one hit kill factor of many of the bosses and enemies. But really the likes of the El Gigante, Chief Mendez, Verdugo, U-3 and the Regeneradors certainly instill fear and panic when they approach you.

Gameplay induced fear/tension (i.e. Worrying about one-hit kills) is MUCH different than atmospheric induced fear/tension. RE7 provides the latter, in spades I would say, as there were points in the game where I was afraid to enter certain rooms, because of the creepy ass atmosphere. The first half of the game was definitely the best, though. Once you got semi-powerful, a lot of that fear went away. By the salt mines, I was Rambo-ing the place (no, I have not played Madhouse yet). Incredible game though, hope they stick with this direction in future RE games.

I was thinking about starting a madhouse run next week. How much does the ai differ between normal and madhouse? Like for example do monsters and jack follow you to saferooms etc? Im pretty sure on normal jack doesnt follow you trough the "scorpion" door in the lobby for example.

Also are the "upgrades" like faster run speed and the saw absolute must haves?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone having a problem getting the game to load up after installing Banned Footage Vol. 2?I get all the developer logos and warnings but it doesn't move past the VHS tape loading image to get to the menu. I've restarted the game and my Pro a few times.

EDIT: Rebuilt the database too and it still won't load.

Was the game running in the background by any chance when you installed the DLC?

If so, I had the exact same issue with the first DLC. Only fix is to delete the game and reinstall it, repatch it, and download the dlc again.

Its kind of a bad bug, because it basically stops you from doing anything in the game until you go through the process of reinstalling everything, as literally nothing will load.

NOTE: Obviously backup your saves before reinstalling, just to be on the safe side.

Sändersson;230354273 said:
I was thinking about starting a madhouse run next week. How much does the ai differ between normal and madhouse? Like for example do monsters and jack follow you to saferooms etc? Im pretty sure on normal jack doesnt follow you trough the "scorpion" door in the lobby for example.

Also are the "upgrades" like faster run speed and the saw absolute must haves?

The AI isn't that different. It's a little faster and more tenacious, but it can't do anything it couldn't before. And nah, you don't need any of those unlockables.

Perineum

Tried the second batch of DLCS. Jack Bday is fun. Daughters while I see what they were going for...tends to ruin some of the main game lore.

Then there is 21. Lucas my boy? Nice. Played it to completion, and let me tell you whoever designed this at Capcom needs to be fired. When the game has to CHEAT to god damn win and FORCE you losses when you know damn well how to play, and I won basically due to sheer luck on the attempt I did? Fuck you.

I did a variety of things to try to win that seemed logical as if it were a puzzle, but in the end it just boiled down to randomness. Stupid...

Alienous

Getting the DLCs into the game as discoverable tapes, and extra modes, would have really beefed up Resident Evil 7. It's a shame they didn't do that. And it's weird that they decided to make a later DLC, 'Not a Hero', free - when it will probably be more substantial than the other DLCs combined.

Cubed

Yeah, I feel like they did everything ass-backwards. These first 2 DLCs should have either been released like they were, but free, or Capcom could have included them on-disc... then Not A Hero comes out months after release for $20. Not sure why they put this stuff out right after release for $20 (the price of these two packs together) but then gives us free DLC months later.

Then there is 21. Lucas my boy? Nice. Played it to completion, and let me tell you whoever designed this at Capcom needs to be fired. When the game has to CHEAT to god damn win and FORCE you losses when you know damn well how to play, and I won basically due to sheer luck on the attempt I did? Fuck you.
Yeah, I don't see myself going back to 21. Great idea, would probably be fun as a multiplayer mode, but Lucas cheats so hard. Any execution of skill or strategy is obliterated by the use of trump cards (of which Lucas is assured to have a mighty stockpile for himself). I must have landed on 21 at least 3 times only to have Lucas trump-fuck me out of it. If there were a way to skip past all the chatter and animations, I might be inclined to give it more of a chance. One-and-done for this mode.

myco666

Yeah, I feel like they did everything ass-backwards. These first 2 DLCs should have either been released like they were, but free, or Capcom could have included them on-disc... then Not A Hero comes out months after release for $20. Not sure why they put this stuff out right after release for $20 (the price of these two packs together) but then gives us free DLC months later.

It is a bit weird to have these odd low budget modes as paid DLC and story DLC as free. Then again it might mean that the Not a Hero is going to be rather important storywise so that Capcom wants everyone to have it but they still needed some extra money and decided to put these not so important things as paid DLC. Still weird though.

I was so bummed when I got killed by the chainsaw dude in 5 and it doesn't show the kill. It sounds perverse, but the death animations in RE4 set the bar and imo really added to the tension and threat of the enemies. I don't think I had ever seen a hero character brutalized in such a stark fashion before.

7's a little more limited since its in first person, but some of the inflicted violence on Ethan definitely got a visceral response from me the first time around.

Jawmuncher

I was so bummed when I got killed by the chainsaw dude in 5 and it doesn't show the kill. It sounds perverse, but the death animations in RE4 set the bar and imo really added to the tension and threat of the enemies. I don't think I had ever seen a hero character brutalized in such a stark fashion before.

7's a little more limited since its in first person, but some of the inflicted violence on Ethan definitely got a visceral response from me the first time around.

Agreed. decaps being brought back is a highlight for re7

Still held the crown until Tomb Raider came out and raised the bar in spectacle and being unnecessary.

Astral Dog

Just finished Daughters.o_O

Thought it was really creepy and complemented the game pretty well.

These things reaally should have been on the game though :(

Top Bottom