• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Durock

Well then... I guess it was Chris all along. It still doesn't explain why he's with Umbrella. Someone mentioned here that he could just be infiltrating Umbrella and working from inside. Or perhaps that it's a clone of him. I'm a fan of both of those theories as either one could potentially fit the narrarative.

One thing that we still have to keep in mind is the movie releasing this year. It's canon and it takes place in 2017, the same year RE7 takes place. In the movie, Chris is still a part of the BSAA.

Akibared

Maybe Chris was HUNK all along and the BSAA thing was just to throw everyone off.

hnFBNRp.gif

Lernaean

Banned
One thing that we still have to keep in mind is the movie releasing this year. It's canon and it takes place in 2017, the same year RE7 takes place. In the movie, Chris is still a part of the BSAA.

Vendetta is before RE7. RE7 is somewhere late 2017.

Akibared

If it is him I'm hoping we see why he switches sides.

Durock

Vendetta is before RE7. RE7 is somewhere late 2017.

I'm aware of that, which is why I just don't see him leaving the BSAA and suddenly joining up with an evil corporation he's actively fought against for some time, all within a few months of each other.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm aware of that, which is why I just don't see him leaving the BSAA and suddenly joining up with an evil corporation he's actively fought against for some time, all within a few months of each other.

Technically it could happen within a few hrs of each other.

Weils

Neo Member

Agreed. From the ending cutscene after
Pier's sacrifice
at the end of RE6 , Chris regained his resolve to stay in the BSAA and fight on. Perhaps Vendetta will explain what caused Chris to switch sides to a malevolent corporate mercenary group, which is the complete opposite of what he has been fighting for. I understand that Chris was an SOA agent during RE5 before leading his own squad as captain, maybe he took on the agent assignment again? SOA agents are assigned to infiltrate without expecting support, and some of them (like Reynard) act as spies in the region they are assigned to. What I think is Chris infiltrated Umbrella Corps as himself to glean information for BSAA and possibly sabotage the Corps efforts. But to use his real identity to switch sides and join the Umbrella Corps could be very risky though, as his name is well known in the anti-bioterrorism circles. I believe BSAA would have to officially disown him from them and renounce him as a wanted criminal.

Agreed. From the ending cutscene after
Pier's sacrifice
at the end of RE6 , Chris regained his resolve to stay in the BSAA and fight on. Perhaps Vendetta will explain what caused Chris to switch sides to a malevolent corporate mercenary group, which is the complete opposite of what he has been fighting for. I understand that Chris was an SOA agent during RE5 before leading his own squad as captain, maybe he took on the agent assignment again? SOA agents are assigned to infiltrate without expecting support, and some of them (like Reynard) act as spies in the region they are assigned to. What I think is Chris infiltrated Umbrella Corps as himself to glean information for BSAA and possibly sabotage the Corps efforts. But to use his real identity to switch sides and join the Umbrella Corps could be very risky though, as his name is well known in the anti-bioterrorism circles. I believe BSAA would have to officially disown him from them and renounce him as a wanted criminal.

In the new movie we'll find out he turned evil so he could shut up Leon's wise-cracking ass.

Chris: "It's our mission to bring his ass down."
Leon: "Not mine."
Chris: "GODDAMNIT."

So here's some comparisons I'm seeing here between the game's version of events and Daughters' in my last RE7 playthrough:

Arrival: In the game, it's explicitly stated in an entry that Evelyn and Mia arrived accompanied together. In Daughters, they are found separately and only in the True ending is a connection made that only Zoe is aware of.

Weather: In one of Jack'so journal entries, he states the storm has passed prior to going to the ship. In Daughters, the storm seems to still in progress.

Infection: In the lab documents, Eveline's infection progresses slowly. The violent behavior is supposed to come in to play later. In Daughters, it's quite immediate with mutations (Marguerite) already in play. This also poses issues with Marguerite's doctor visits and documents in the game that show a slower descent of the Bakers.

Hot Goods: In Daughters we see Zoe pick up the D-SERIES subject, only to be accosted immediately by Eveline herself. How does Zoe having been caught picking that up retain it to the events of RE7 given Eveline seems to know inexplicably what these D-SERIES subjects are for given the one she put under the guard of Marguerite? How does that sample even get there since it seems Jack found Mia, rather than Mia walking in with military cases of biohazard materials?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Infection: In the lab documents, Eveline's infection progresses slowly. The violent behavior is supposed to come in to play later. In Daughters, it's quite immediate with mutations (Marguerite) already in play. This also poses issues with Marguerite's doctor visits and documents in the game that show a slower descent of the Bakers.

Yeah but the true ending of the DLC show them the next morning and everyone is back to normal. Jack and Lucas will go check out the storm damage, etc etc, Marguerite is 100% fine. It's obvious that they returned to normal for a while. Only Zoe can still see Eveline. I think that they went on normally for a while, until Eveline started warping them more and more.

Yeah but the true ending of the DLC show them the next morning and everyone is back to normal. Jack and Lucas will go check out the storm damage, etc etc, Marguerite is 100% fine. It's obvious that they returned to normal for a while. Only Zoe can still see Eveline. I think that they went on normally for a while, until Eveline started warping them more and more.

It just doesn't match up overall with the late game details and how it was overall presented. Why was this conversion not done to Mia? Or anyone else?

Sure, Mia gets blackouts and has memory loss from Eveline's meddling and it's clear that Eveline is supposed to operate in a more suggestive manner than in the direct and overwhelming show, but that all just seems handwave away to justify shoving as much drama in a pitiful slice of content.

Why release control then? How does Marguerite not notice insects crawling out from every orifice and the likely restructuring of...certain parts, let alone medical professionals? Same with her magic bug lantern? Why does Evie let Zoe keep the D-Series speciman?

There's things that Eveline has control of. The above she can't just flip a switch on and off for.

The problem isn't that they do operate normally after Eveline arrives. That's clear in the main game. It's the dramatic escalation at the beginning and the consequences of it that are the issue.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It just doesn't match up overall with the late game details and how it was overall presented. Why was this conversion not done to Mia? Or anyone else?

Sure, Mia gets blackouts and has memory loss from Eveline's meddling and it's clear that Eveline is supposed to operate in a more suggestive manner than in the direct and overwhelming show, but that all just seems handwave away to justify shoving as much drama in a pitiful slice of content.

Why release control then? How does Marguerite not notice insects crawling out from every orifice and the likely restructuring of...certain parts, let alone medical professionals? Same with her magic bug lantern? Why does Evie let Zoe keep the D-Series speciman?

There's things that Eveline has control of. The above she can't just flip a switch on and off for.

The problem isn't that they do operate normally after Eveline arrives. That's clear in the main game. It's the dramatic escalation at the beginning and the consequences of it that are the issue.
IMO it seems to me that since you didn't like the story of the game, and now the DLC, you are trying to find ways to poke holes in the whole thing lol. Which is also fine, don't get me wrong haha. To each their own. I still don't see any problems with Daughters and the main game. Eveline doesn't have control over the Bakers. Which is why Jack tries to kill Ethan, when Eveline decides she wants him to be her father. She has no control. She can influence strongly sure, especially those she mutates the most via her mold, but never full control. And Daughters is the very beginning of the infection. Marguerite doesn't notice anything because, the infection, very much like we see with Mia, comes and go. Mia is sometimes human again, and something mutated and invincible. Zoe has the D-series head? Well it IS 3 years later, and from Daughters, we see how she's the only one who immediately remembers Eveline. It's obvious that the infection doesn't affect people in the same way everytime. Who knows what she's been doing for those 3 years. She managed to survive, unmutated and sane. I have no problem with her finding more about the head during that time.

It's also clear that Eveline is different than any others "Series" they've done. She's the first, E-001 and it's obvious that they didn't know the true extent of her powers or how she operates. Which is why her handlers, Mia and Alan were taken aback by how much mold she could actually produce.

In all honesty, I can't judge y'all for playing a game you obviously knew wasn't up your alley. I mean I knew deep down I'd hate FFXV, but I still bought it, platinumed it...and yeah I hate that fucker to pieces. It's nothing like I wanted from Final Fantasy. I knew I'd hate the damn thing the day they announced a party of males only. But...gave it a shot. For other people, it's clear that their FFXV is RE7. It's obvious we'll never agree on RE7's story, like most of the RE fanbase can't agree on any damn game in the franchise. So...meh, let's leave it at that lol. I do 100% understand where you are coming from though.

IMO it seems to me that since you didn't like the story of the game, and now the DLC, you are trying to find ways to poke holes in the whole thing lol. Which is also fine, don't get me wrong haha. To each their own. I still don't see any problems with Daughters and the main game. Eveline doesn't have control over the Bakers. Which is why Jack tries to kill Ethan, when Eveline decides she wants him to be her father. She has no control. She can influence strongly sure, especially those she mutates the most via her mold, but never full control. And Daughters is the very beginning of the infection. Marguerite doesn't notice anything because, the infection, very much like we see with Mia, comes and go. Mia is sometimes human again, and something mutated and invincible. Zoe has the D-series head? Well it IS 3 years later, and from Daughters, we see how she's the only one who immediately remembers Eveline. It's obvious that the infection doesn't affect people in the same way everytime. Who knows what she's been doing for those 3 years. She managed to survive, unmutated and sane. I have no problem with her finding more about the head during that time.

It's also clear that Eveline is different than any others "Series" they've done. She's the first, E-001 and it's obvious that they didn't know the true extent of her powers or how she operates. Which is why her handlers, Mia and Alan were taken aback by how much mold she could actually produce.

In all honesty, I can't judge y'all for playing a game you obviously knew wasn't up your alley. I mean I knew deep down I'd hate FFXV, but I still bought it, platinumed it...and yeah I hate that fucker to pieces. It's nothing like I wanted from Final Fantasy. I knew I'd hate the damn thing the day they announced a party of males only. But...gave it a shot. For other people, it's clear that their FFXV is RE7. It's obvious we'll never agree on RE7's story, like most of the RE fanbase can't agree on any damn game in the franchise. So...meh, let's leave it at that lol. I do 100% understand where you are coming from though.

It's really not nitpicking, just as its not with the issues on what the game wants you to feel about Eveline and her motivations in opposition to what the game actually shows you. When a game decides to put the focus on the narrative, the flaws in that area will become more apparent. The atmosphere and presentation can cover enough on am initial playthrough, but after that the details are more noticeable and the things that don't add up are then what's on the surface.

And I don't really care for the last part of the post. I knew mostly what I was getting with this game, and my positive impression leading up to release was generally intact upon completion. Anyone who criticizes the game on any level or has a different opinion than your own wasn't looking for issues or getting into something they knew wasn't their jam.

Some notes aside:

• Eveline is the first marketable or near-marketable E-Series subject. Others were developed and disposed of during development. We see this in the E-Necrotoxin result photos.
  • The mutations and infection evidence does not disappear. Dulvey General radiologists had images of fungal masses in Marguerite. I doubt the bugs and...nest...have an on and off switch either.
  • Evie's influences may as well be control as evidenced with Mia and her phases. Which mind you, Mia has not what would be classified as mutations. What we're seeing is a visual side effect of Eveline's hold.
  • While there's no issue with Evie having powers not observed or detailed before (telekinesis among them), there should be some support for it just as most of the past RE titles have supplied. The bug thing is a major outlier despite being the focus of an entire section of the game.
  • The problem with Zoe having the head is that she was caught grabbing it by Eveline herself. It shouldn't have still been in her possession 3 years later if Evelyn knew enough to give Marguerite the other specimen.

carlsojo

[*]The problem with Zoe having the head is that she was caught grabbing it by Eveline herself. It shouldn't have still been in her possession 3 years later if Evelyn knew enough to give Marguerite the other specimen.
[/list]

I just rewatched the Daughters ending. She actually doesn't take the head at that point. She sets it back down next to Mia. My guess is that Mia woke up and stashed the head in Zoe's trailer, which makes sense since it looks like Zoe had been using the trailer as a base.

I think Zoe has some innate resistance to Evie's influence as well.

I can't remember this detail. Was Lucas resistant to Eveline from the beginning, or did he have to be cured by the Umbrella rival company to gain resistance?

T.O.P

Banned
Having way too much fun with Nightmare

Shame that it's only one location and the low types of enemiy in the main game hurts this mode hard

Full mercs mode when :|

Having way too much fun with Nightmare

Shame that it's only one location and the low types of enemiy in the main game hurts this mode hard

Full mercs mode when :|

Jack's Birthday is as close to a Mercs mode as this game is gonna get....which is actually closer than you might think. Still has the lack of enemy diversity, but it plays with the inventory management side of things in an interesting way.

RedSnake

I think Daughters is a "this is how happened in a gameplay way" something like a "sped up" version.

We know RE1 and 2 mix the "official" story of how things went (ie: Chris did some tuff and Jill did some other stuff instead of just the one you choose doing all the stuff and RE2 is a mix of A B scenarios) so some people might be looking to far into it.

I just rewatched the Daughters ending. She actually doesn't take the head at that point. She sets it back down next to Mia. My guess is that Mia woke up and stashed the head in Zoe's trailer, which makes sense since it looks like Zoe had been using the trailer as a base.

I think Zoe has some innate resistance to Evie's influence as well.

I'll have to either watch that or do another much-needed playthrough. That would make more sense, even if it's still on rather shaky ground.

Zoe, Mia, and Ethan all have a degree of resistance to Eveline's "gift". Part of it may have to do with how Eveline views them (Mia already fulfills the sister role in the Baker hierarchy making Zoe redundant; Eveline feels Mia naturally loves her; Eveline's feelings on Ethan are a bit of a mess narrative-wise, so maybe he's just not as easily influenced).

I can't remember this detail. Was Lucas resistant to Eveline from the beginning, or did he have to be cured by the Umbrella rival company to gain resistance?

Lucas was operated on/given a drug that blocks out Eveline's influences while retaining the perks of the fungal cells.

I think Daughters is a "this is how happened in a gameplay way" something like a "sped up" version.

We know RE1 and 2 mix the "official" story of how things went (ie: Chris did some tuff and Jill did some other stuff instead of just the one you choose doing all the stuff and RE2 is a mix of A B scenarios) so some people might be looking to far into it.

Perhaps. Until Vendetta trailers aired, I viewed the 'Boulder Punching' and the superhero antics of 5&6 as gameplay embellishments rather than how they [the characters] operate canon-wise, but it seems that's actually what they inexplicably are like.

However, I think the direction in Daughters was a 'sped-up' answer to the Baker origin to fit the DLC. It's still ok. I don't really hate it. It's just really bothersome, especially in regards to Marguerite who I also thought was underutilized in comparison to Jack in the main game. At the same time, 'looking too far into it' is a bit of a lazy defense, especially for a game that leans so heavily on its presentation in comparison to past titles.

Edit: I wouldn't have minded episodic content following Zoe (and Mia) witnessing Eveline's takeover of the family and the changes happening to them and the Plantation.

Jawmuncher

Imagining RE7 starring RE5 chris is the best thing.
I imagine the gen starts with him tied to the chair, and he just breaks free and flips the table.
Instead of the bakers chasing you, you're chasing the bakers. Picking up jack and throwing him around like nothing.

It's the best.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I ended up choosing Zoe because I didn't trust what Mia was doing prior to the events.

Her getting offed right afterward was BULLSHIT.

Wasn't the serum supposed to cure her of Evie's control?

How was Evie able to just take control and kill her on the boat ride?

Fuckin' bullshit.

Amazing return to form for Capcom though, loved the shit out of this game.

Jawmuncher

So I ended up choosing Zoe because I didn't trust what Mia was doing prior to the events.

Fuckin' bullshit.

Amazing return to form for Capcom though, loved the shit out of this game.

There's a lot of comic book story bullshit in the game.
"Oh this works, unless we don't need it to work". Zoe's path being a prime example of it.

Fuckin' bullshit.
One of the Files at the End of the game (mobile Lab in mines) explicitly explains that the E-Necrotoxin only Works as a Serum in a very Small time window (you were infected but the mold infection but it hasn't developed significantly in your Body), otherwise it is lethal as it calcifies infected Cells in your Body (and if that includes more than Just a few of your brain Cells...) and kills you within 10 minutes.

Zoe has been infected for two or there years at least so even if she was still sane and managed to keep her ego, the "cure" was going to end up deadly. Considering how Close the Tanker wrecks and the bayu are to the House, her calcification death makes Sense as it happens about 10 minutes after you inject her with the necrotoxin. Now the thing that doesn't make Sense is why the Same doesn't Happen to Mia who has been infected even longer. Haven't picked the Mia choice yet, does she get Grabbed by Evi and thus reinfected during the boat Ride?

Jawmuncher

One of the Files at the End of the game (mobile Lab in mines) explicitly explain that the E-Necrotoxin only Works as a Serum in a very Small time window (you were infected but the mold infection but it hasn't developed significantly in your Body), otherwise it is lethal as it calcifies infected Cells in your Body (and if that includes more than Just a few of your brain Cells...) and kills you within 10 minutes.

Zoe has been infected for two or there years at least so even if she was still sane and managed to keep her ego, the "cure" was going to end up deadly. Considering how Close the Tanker wrecks and the bayu are to the House, her calcification death makes Sense as it happens about 10 minutes after you inject her with the necrotoxin. Now the thing that doesn't make Sense is why the Same doesn't Happen to Mia who has been infected even longer. Haven't picked the Mia choice yet, does she get Grabbed by Evi and thus reinfected during the boat Ride?

I didn't see that file. But would have Mia been infected for the same amount of time as Zoe? But evie didn't killer her because that's who she liked most as "mommy"? The choices aren't different aside from who rides the boat. Instead of Mia dying the boat like capsizes or something and you go right back to the regular playthroygh of the boat area as Mia.

Bucca

Is the serum the same as the E-necrotoxin?

I thought the necrotoxin NEEDED Evie's tissue sample.

The serum was made from...? Dried up fetuses? Still unsure wtf those were.

EDIT: I think I remember, they were the D-series failed experiments tissue?

There is a complete fetus inside (all fetuses and their Parts in the game are failed D-series specimen) the Container you put the tissue Sample in and you See both being used during the mixing. Have to Read the File again to Check if the Evi tissue is required for the cure or if it is Just needed for an especially potent Mix that can kill Eveline.

Bucca

There is a complete fetus inside (all fetuses and their Parts in the game are failed D-series specimen) the Container you put the tissue Sample in and you See both being used during the mixing. Have to Read the File again to Check if the Evi tissue is required for the cure or if it is Just needed for an especially potent Mix that can kill Eveline.

Doesn't Zoe make a serum with just the two D-series body parts off camera though? I don't remember seeing one of those cases in the room where her and Mia are being kept by Lucas.

I figured the serum Zoe made was a weaker version of the Necrotoxin used at the end of the game. People going "This has to be enough to kill it...NOPE." is a typical horror trope, so it didn't really bug me that much that Zoe would get killed so soon. The thing that doesn't make sense is Mia magically teleporting to the ship.

Bucca

Another thing just crossed my mind...

If Evie ended up being the wheelchair bound grandma, then why was there a room in the house dedicated as "Grandma's Bedroom" with fake denture and a note from the doctor talking about how she needs to come in for a scan, if there wasn't a real grandma?

Or was this just meant as an indirect bait and switch?

carlsojo

Another thing just crossed my mind...

If Evie ended up being the wheelchair bound grandma, then why was there a room in the house dedicated as "Grandma's Bedroom" with fake denture and a note from the doctor talking about how she needs to come in for a scan, if there wasn't a real grandma?

Or was this just meant as an indirect bait and switch?

The doctor's note was to Mrs. Baker (Marguerite), and was likely referring to the x rays she got in town (via another note in the old house). It was a clever fake out. Their real grandmother likely used to live there in that room and had passed away.

On the tv screens in the Happy Birthday tape I think that it shows a real picture from another birthday party prior to the game's events and the infection of the Bakers, and the real grandma is in that picture.

Finally finished this last night. Took about a month but I got there. Around 12 hours total. I'm familiar with the series due to its popularity but this is actually the first time I've actually completed a Resident Evil game. I'm vaguely familiar with some of the lore and names of characters from previous games.

Really solid game and I'm excited for the next one already. The music/mood in that last hour or so was intense. The whole hallucination fight was a really fun idea. The first time it happened, I did panic and waste a couple shotgun shells. Unfortunately, like the day before I finished it, someone spoiled the Eveline/granny revelation. That's what I get for taking so long to complete it I guess.

I don't know how well my experience reflects those of others, but I played on Normal and I was really impressed with how they balanced the availability of resources. I was pretty much in a perpetual state of "I dont know if I have enough ammo to handle this." Whenever I started feeling confident and well-prepared, the game would throw something at me that caused me to expend all my shit and leave me feeling starved again.

I was initially disappointed that Lucas sort of just disappeared but considering there is a new DLC coming soon to wrap that up, I'm now perfectly fine with that. I know enough about the series to know that Chris with Umbrella is a really perplexing thing so I'm really curious about that.

To-do list for the next one:
-More enemy variety. I'm frankly surprised they managed to pull this off with so few enemy types.
-Better aiming controls. Felt fine for navigation but felt horrible for trying to shoot things.

Jacob4815

Speaking of the D-series fetuses, did anyone else notice the D-series arm actually has a whole other fetus attached/growing out of it? It even has its own little set of folded arms:

WTF!!

And why was the hand attached to an old corpse in a chair?

Maybe that was the original grandmother?

maxresdefault.jpg

Jawmuncher

Let Wesker stay dead and bring back Hunk and Nicholai goddarnit.

Nicholas would be one hell of a stretch to bring back. He seemed pretty definiteively dead in RE3 and then you factor in the entire city being bombed.

Krause seems more reasonable as a "could be dead" character that wouldn't feel too much like a stretch to bring back.

Nicholas would be one hell of a stretch to bring back. He seemed pretty definiteively dead in RE3 and then you factor in the entire city being bombed.

Nicholai escaping is canon. In one of the endings he takes the last helicopter out of the city and Barry has to save Jill.

The only way Wesker ''returning'' that wouldn't be totally facepalmy is some posthumous meddling via orders to his lackeys.

dlauv

My problem with Jack's Birthday is that it's based far too much on memorization once you get to the second tier stages.

Jawmuncher

Nicholai escaping is canon. In one of the endings he takes the last helicopter out of the city and Barry has to save Jill.

The only way Wesker ''returning'' that wouldn't be totally facepalmy is some posthumous meddling via orders to his lackeys.

Well damn, doing nothing with him if he is canonically alive is odd then.

My problem with Jack's Birthday is that it's based far too much on memorization once you get to the second tier stages.

Yep. This was the issue I pointed out. Sure you can argue that you memorize routes/spawns in mercs if you're going for a 150/150 run. But you never have to do any of that to get an S. in jacks birthday, memorizing the top played route is pretty much mandatory for the S ranks.
With the only changes coming from how quickly with no flaws you can do it than someone else.

Top Bottom