• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

judhudson

I've been watching a few streams and have some questions...

Does it say how Eveline gets around? I mean, sure she is a BOW, but it seems like *poof* *poof*...she's there and she's not. Especially in her granny state. I guess one has to overlook that, but still, has me curious.

Also, if Ethan wouldn't have interfered, is it known that she'd have died from old age? Or would she continue on as mold or something. Kinda wonder what would happen to the subjects she'd infected if she would have died of old age and killed over.

Needless to say, this game looks amazing, and I look forward to picking it up one day.

Also, Lucas is a complete and utter dick. I suppose he is infected in which he has the gift to heal himself, but not under Eveline's control. I've been missing some parts of the stream, but does it explain Zoe's case? She doesn't seem crazy either. (And I haven't seen her death if you chose to save Mia, but I'm pretty sure she ends up dying regardless, right?)

I was bored, so I made this:

chrishunkhbsdq.png

Seeing these two pics together.. I can actually see a slight resemblance.

I'm on the #teamrealchris side of things now. But I need answers!

I was bored, so I made this:

chrishunkhbsdq.png
I found funny because I already knew Chris was coming from the radio on the mine site.

The voice triggered something on my mind. Not the voice itself, but the way the character was screaming and demanding orders resemble Chris so easily to me.

But... I had no idea who was the man at the end until he says.... I'm Redfield hahahaha

dan2026

Just finished it.

Wow what a nose dive in quality from the house to the ship and the mines.
Fuck so disappointed.
This could of been better than RE4, but they fumbled it, they fucking fumbled it.

And what the hell happened to Lucas?
He just mumbles something about spoilers and disappears from the game.

Scotia

Banned
Just finished the game and I absolutely loved it. Probably going to play through the game again tonight (I'll probably stream it too). I'm probably going to buy the Season Pass now, which is amazing seeing as the last Season Pass I got was Arkham Knight's and it was that much of a rip-off I never bought another one again. Capcom really out-did themselves with this game.

Just wanted to give a few impressions and thoughts:

• I honestly haven't enjoyed a RE game like this since RE4
  • The Baker's were fantastic villains, with Jack and Lucas in particular being some of the best RE has produced in recent years
  • Though there wasn't much to him, I liked Ethan as the protagonist, though I dislike how we never saw him. I feel if we knew what he looked like we would have built a better connection with him
  • Zoe was a waste of a character. I chose Mia over her (because why would I chose some random woman over my own wife?) and she never turned up again until the weird dream bit with Jack and Ethan
  • I'm really looking forward to seeing what Capcom do with RE8. If they do with RE8 what they did with RE2, then it'd be amazing
  • Before playing the game I was on #TeamHUNK, but now I'm leaning towards it being Chris. Either way, I'm mad hyped for Not A Hero
Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Though there are two things that puzzle me;

What happened to Lucas? Was he in the Salt Mines, 'cause I never saw or heard him, unless I missed something. After escaping the puzzle room I swear I never heard from him again.

What happened to Zoe? Did she die? Did she live? She just, disappeared.

Just finished it.

Wow what a nose dive in quality from the house to the ship and the mines.
Fuck so disappointed.
This could of been better than RE4, but they fumbled it, they fucking fumbled it.

So I'm not the only one with this opinion, good. The house and surroundings are amazing, after that, is such a weak way to end the game.

robotrock

Banned
I kind of expected something to be up with Ethan by the time I finished this. The way he had no problem in the beginning of the game killing Mia over and over again was weird to me. Or when Zoe called and asked for an arm and a head, and he didn't even question it.

I was sitting there like "wtf do you mean a d series arm and head"

AdaWong

I guess my problems with this game are Ethan, replay value and resolution.

Ethan is the worst playable protagonist for sure. First of, we never actually see him and I feel RE is very character-oriented. So to not be able to relate and know the character you are playing as felt bad enough as it is... bu then mix that with his shitty ass personality. The epitome of a cardboard-like personality. So fucking basic and just :| all the time.

Wife trying to kill you? :|
Cutting off your hand? :|
Going through the whole thing? :|
Fighting monsters? :|
Finally being able to save his wife? :|
Escape at last? :|

I get it, I get that they are trying to revert back to the cheesy nature and less-serious characters, but it's not done well with Ethan (the cheesiness/seriousness mixture is perfect with Jack/Marguirite/Lucas) but I just wanna punch Ethan's ice cold (in the worst way possible) personality.

As for replay value, there is literally none. No costumes, no worthwhile unlockables. And it's not like Capcom's other horror game Haunting Ground where the enemies are actual stalkers in huge environments, this game has small spaces and the enemies aren't really "stalkers". The wife is run into like twice before her boss fight, lol. You finish it once and there's 0 reason for you to do it again (because the "choice" means nothing) UNLESS you want to try out the harder mode, but other than that..nothing.

At last, it doesn't feel like it wraps things up, it's like here's all these awesome plotlines and BOOM ending. And it's not like they even definitively tease a cliffhanger (as they are, in one way are another, a form of resolution).

Lucas disappearing (biggest offender), plotholes about Eveline, Zoe and Mia "choice", Mia's storyline in general, the MOST random Chris/Hunk shit.

After some time to let it sink in, at the very core it's a good game, but solely a 7. I applaud Capcom for doing something new and risking it, but that isn't a free get out of jail card into "great game territory".

Roussow

I've been watching a few streams and have some questions...

Does it say how Eveline gets around? I mean, sure she is a BOW, but it seems like *poof* *poof*...she's there and she's not. Especially in her granny state. I guess one has to overlook that, but still, has me curious.

Not really 100% sure about the other questions, but I think I remember one of the notes in the lore-dump room talking about how the infected start to see hallucinations of Eveline, so that pretty much hand waves a bunch of the supernatural/teleporting stuff.

Now what's unclear to me is what's up with Ethan's infection -- now the game makes it out to seem like he isn't infected, and I thought it was implied that eating the dinner is how the Baker's were infecting everyone on Eveline's behalf, remember though Ethan never ate anything.

It's safe to assume that the dinner was the same fungus Eveline was "vomiting" (as stated in the Mia flashback), and was also the mold.
Now I assume Ethan is indeed infected at least in some capacity. He's able to easily reattach his foot, with just some strong medicine, the Bakers are also shown to reattach (possibly regrow?) limbs with ease. Also he see's a lot of the weird Eveline shit. However he never needs the cure like Zoe and Mia.

I don't fucking know what's up -- I must've missed a note because I'm confused.

Also that ship flashback was dope -- closest we got to something akin to a BSAA mission, I really enjoyed the Mia reveal.

BlackJet

I've been skimming through the thread so forgive me if this was already asked: Why is Chris working with Umbrella?

I never played RE6 so I'm in the dark.

Edit: Okay just saw the last page nvm.

Amedo310

So the healing juice is some powerful stuff. Ethan can lose a leg in the Jack chainsaw fight and use the healing item to reattach it. He will even be shocked by it.

Toa TAK

Banned
So the healing juice is some powerful stuff. Ethan can lose a leg in the Jack chainsaw fight and use the healing item to reattach it. He will even be shocked by it.
Yeh, even in the first shovel boss. It's great and feels dynamic instead of being feeling like a scripted set piece.

Rean

I doubt that guy at the end is Chris. The guy on the radio sounds more like him and Chris working with Umbrella doesn't even sound right.

The guy on the radio was on the Alpha team too, which is the team Chris is usually on.

Anybody get their leg cut off by jack in the opening hatch room? On my second playground and manage to avoid it this time, it's optional apparently, for those curious he throws your leg back to you and serum to glue it back on

Even though the revelations to the phenomenons are the most generic RE stuff, I really like the dinner scene in hindsight now. Seeing how the granny is the parasite that has inconspicuously settled in that house.

duder92

Neo Member
So was the huge boss with a bunch of eyeballs to shoot not Lucas?

I assumed that was his transformation, but I see people here are saying that he just disappears.

Did I miss something?

Lanrutcon

So was the huge boss with a bunch of eyeballs to shoot not Lucas?

I assumed that was his transformation, but I see people here are saying that he just disappears.

Did I miss something?

Lucas runs away and is never resolved.

Would be a shame if we don't see him again.

What thats end credits about with the phone vibrate ?

"Very well, Mr. President."

Anybody get their leg cut off by jack in the opening hatch room? On my second playground and manage to avoid it this time, it's optional apparently, for those curious he throws your leg back to you and serum to glue it back on

It didn't happen to me during the chase with him or the chainsaw battle, so I didn't even realize that could happen until I saw people discussing it here. On the bright side, Ethan made it through the whole thing with intact pants.

a harpy

Not really 100% sure about the other questions, but I think I remember one of the notes in the lore-dump room talking about how the infected start to see hallucinations of Eveline, so that pretty much hand waves a bunch of the supernatural/teleporting stuff.

Now what's unclear to me is what's up with Ethan's infection -- now the game makes it out to seem like he isn't infected, and I thought it was implied that eating the dinner is how the Baker's were infecting everyone on Eveline's behalf, remember though Ethan never ate anything.

It's safe to assume that the dinner was the same fungus Eveline was "vomiting" (as stated in the Mia flashback), and was also the mold.
Now I assume Ethan is indeed infected at least in some capacity. He's able to easily reattach his foot, with just some strong medicine, the Bakers are also shown to reattach (possibly regrow?) limbs with ease. Also he see's a lot of the weird Eveline shit. However he never needs the cure like Zoe and Mia.

I don't fucking know what's up -- I must've missed a note because I'm confused.

Also that ship flashback was dope -- closest we got to something akin to a BSAA mission, I really enjoyed the Mia reveal.

Ethan was probably infected when he was knocked out originally by Jack at the very beginning.

Ethan doesn't need the cure because he kills Eve, and that stops her from being able to control him (or anyone). He's only had the virus for like, a day and a night. That means it's not inside him enough for her death to kill him. Basically, everyone gets cured at the end. Lucas is probably calcified.

Another different event on my second play though, I actually got to drive the car and run over jack a few more times, before he magically jumped on the hood, is there a list of unique events somewhere? Also, getting the red dog head first seems to be the best method for madhouse, but it does mean having to brave a jack encounter a few times if you want to take the shotgun with you downstairs (not worth it imo)

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm pretty sure this is a reboot. Chris looks super jank at the end there. Unless it's Chris and Claire's cousin, Booger.

Well done game, I guess I'm just missing the shades of a crazy BOW and bioterrorist sci fi action stuff. Not that I like RE6 at all, it's the only one I own that I haven't beaten; nevertheless, I'd be happy if they kept the core cast as the revelations series, and wonky Booger Redfield and the E-series to the mainline.

I think it would be weird if in the narrative world, the Umbrella soldier lied about his identity to Ethan.

"I'm REDFIELD." - Hunk
"Ok. Well, I assume you're not lying about your entire identity" - Ethan

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
That's what I thought when RE5 was revealed though.

I mean REDFIELD looks like if Resident Evil 1 Chris didn't get redesigned as John Cena Chris of 5,6, and the new CG movie coming out.

Unlikely since the game references the Raccoon City incident.

Maybe capcom is removing everything besides resident evil 1 from the continuity? That way there's no crazy umbrella highjinks, no super powered wesker, and no punching boulders. Just a T-Virus episode in one mansion and an E-Series outbreak 19 years later in another mansion.

Osahi

Seeing these two pics together.. I can actually see a slight resemblance.

I'm on the #teamrealchris side of things now. But I need answers!

For what it's worth, in the review NDA I got they call him Chris Redfield in the 'don't spoil this shit'-section

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Another different event on my second play though, I actually got to drive the car and run over jack a few more times, before he magically jumped on the hood, is there a list of unique events somewhere? Also, getting the red dog head first seems to be the best method for madhouse, but it does mean having to brave a jack encounter a few times if you want to take the shotgun with you downstairs (not worth it imo)

This is not unique to second playthrough.

Rean

any good posts detailing the differences between the mia and zoe path?

If you pick Zoe she's killed almost immediately by Eveline on the boat ride, and Mia just show up at the ship wreak for some reason. Later on you have a final fight with Mia since you didn't save her, and she ends up dying too. Ethan escapes by himself with Redfield.

If you save Mia, Zoe is never seen again and you don't have the boss fight with Mia. Instead she locks you out of that room and you go off on your own to the Swamp/Salt Mines. After you kill Eveline she just appears in the chopper next to you and you both escape.

Chosing Zoe is useless storywise.

Neff

robotrock

Banned
If you pick Zoe she's killed almost immediately by Eveline on the boat ride, and Mia just show up at the ship wreak for some reason. Later on you have a final fight with Mia since you didn't save her, and she ends up dying too. Ethan escapes by himself with Redfield.

If you save Mia, Zoe is never seen again and you don't have the boss fight with Mia. Instead she locks you out of that room and you go off on your own to the Swamp/Salt Mines. After you kill Eveline she just appears in the chopper next to you and you both escape.

Chosing Zoe is useless storywise.

damn, thanks. gotta look up that mia boss now. do you not fight eveline or the many eye jack at the end when you do the zoe path?

CrocoDuck

Finished the game earlier today, fantastic. I had a smile when I heard the Resident Evil 3 sound effects during Lucas' Birthday trap.

Maybe capcom is removing everything besides resident evil 1 from the continuity? That way there's no crazy umbrella highjinks, no super powered wesker, and no punching boulders. Just a T-Virus episode in one mansion and an E-Series outbreak 19 years later in another mansion.

There's an article near the end of the game that recognizes the events of raccoon city 16 years ago.

There's no way Capcom deliberately made this guy say that stuff, look that way and think no fan was going to question if that's Chris. They have a plan. We just gotta wait to see it unfold.

Neff

Can't be.

Wesker's niece's gardener's second cousin (twice removed) didn't feature.

Chris started missing his old pal and is now the Ocelot to Wesker's Big Boss hence why he reformed Umbrella in his honour.

Expect Punished Wesker in RE8

Rean

damn, thanks. gotta look up that mia boss now. do you not fight eveline or the many eye jack at the end when you do the zoe path?
Everything from the Swamp/Salt Mines onward are the same for both paths. You fight Jack before you pick between the two.

On a side note, saving before you give the head and arm is a great place to save because you can still access everything in the house and the finish getting the collectibles and achievements before they put you in the wreaked ship.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
A part of me is curious on how long Mia has been involved as a BOW-handler/scientist/what have you for Umbrella, and what role that might play in Umbrella 'suddenly' researching the area at the same time Ethan is traveling once her Evie-demanded video gets out to Ethan.

Or what that bodes for the two of them, given that Umbrella clean-up is more often than not focused on 'get rid of all the evidence' via whatever explosives are available.

It does kind of depend on whether or not that is Chris, a clone, Hunk, or whatever else.

Top Bottom