• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster Import Reviews Dropping

Nemesis_

I played as Chris during my GC playthrough, but not as Jill. So I'll play Jill this time. Though Chris In his BSAA outfit is tempting, however it would be so weird having huge muscle head Chris not being able to punch the hell outta these zombies (or sharks).

I've been playing HD Remaster for the last two months and I'm really shocked at how much harder I found it playing as Jill.

- Jill takes more damage than Chris
- Chris gets healed every now and then by Rebecca
- Chris' arsenal is more focused
- Old Keys are almost always near the door to use them on

Its really weird. Whereas I thought Jill was the easier character to use when I was younger I find Chris immensely easier to use now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need a demo or something, wish I could have first-hand experience with it before dropping money. I need to experience first hand how this looks, this being one of my favorite games of all time.
I'm afraid this will be the equivalent of an old masterpiece 2.35:1 film with heavy grain which gets smeared with noise reduction and edge enhancement while also being chopped off to 1.77:1 for the bluray transfer. If that's the case I will hold onto my GC and Wii releases.
I also don't understand why it's 720p only on PS3, seems deliberate to make fans double dip on the physical edition and then digital on OS4, but maybe I'm not privy of the real technical reason?

Hopefully Blim will release "lossless" direct-feed videos.

AdaWong

I've been playing HD Remaster for the last two months and I'm really shocked at how much harder I found it playing as Jill.

- Jill takes more damage than Chris
- Chris gets healed every now and then by Rebecca
- Chris' arsenal is more focused
- Old Keys are almost always near the door to use them on

Its really weird. Whereas I thought Jill was the easier character to use when I was younger I find Chris immensely easier to use now.

I have played the original Remake a lot and I have to disagree, Jill is so much easier.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So are the backgrounds actually HD or just 480p?

Upressed.

So they took the original backgrounds, scaled them up with some advanced scaling filter (it won't look as bad as bilinear) and then touched them up. For some instances (mostly animated backgrounds) they actually remodeled everything in 3D.

Some backgrounds look great, some look terrible.

JJD

Unless it's a complete technical mess no one needed reviews at all. I must've played this game 100 times in my then game starved GameCube. Never played RE0 actually, was a broke elementary/middle schooler.

For me it was the opposite. Played RE0 a lot but never this one. Tried to grab it years later but never managed to find a brand new copy or at least one in reasonable condition or price.

Correcting this mistake on day 1!

JJD

I also don't understand why it's 720p only on PS3, seems deliberate to make fans double dip on the physical edition and then digital on OS4, but maybe I'm not privy of the real technical reason?

I might be wrong, if so someone correct me but I was under the impression that the game is cross buy if you get the PSN digital version. You will have the PS4 version too.

If you're buying the PS3 version first, get it digital so you will have it on the PS4 when you buy one.

Ill be preordering in the next few days especially now that these reviews are positive! I havent played remake in ages.. Now capcom give me RE2make pls.

SheHateMe

Played the hell out of the original RE.

Owned a GameCube, but never played REmake.

This is going to be very interesting.

dolabla

I already have it on PS3, but gonna get it on PS4 for 1080p. I hope they release a Vita version as well. I'd buy that, too.

Nemesis_

I have played the original Remake a lot and I have to disagree, Jill is so much easier.

She dies so quickly though, especially on Hard. Shes also absolutely useless with Knife which is the run I just finished last week.

I guess if you're better at evading then Jill is the better choice. Even then Chris seems to run faster unarmed and his grenades are more useful than Jills stun gun. Not to mention the fact that Chris has the lighter all the time.

Also funny to see questions in this thread that are answered by both reviews

Phreak47

68VQNJJ.gif

Did Bill forget to switch the drinks? (couldn't resist)

I remember thinking the save ribbons would be an irritating requirement back when I played the original, but quickly found out it was more than easy enough to end up with a healthy surplus when you just make a habit of scavenging everywhere you can.

tesqui

EDIT: sorry didn't realize it was posted on first page

Game Informer gave it a 9.5

Yesterday Tim Turri of gameinformer tweeted he had a review up in the latest magazine. Does anyone have said magazine and is there a score attached to that review?

I think I read at some point that this version of the game would allow you to skip door animations. Is this the case? It won't change whether I buy this, but those animations are the one element of this game I really dislike. I get why they're there, but after a certain point they're sheer tedium. Besides, having the option to skip them from the start doesn't destroy their purposes as tension builders and brief respites anyway, because who knows, you might be skipping right into danger, but they're still there if you want them.

If I can't skip them in this version, when I want to actually play I'll just stick to Dolphin, where I can unlock the framerate during them and make them go by in an instant. I'll still buy this just to support the slightest chance that Capcom will make a game like this again in the future.

Also tank controls 4 lyfe.

Dash Kappei

I might be wrong, if so someone correct me but I was under the impression that the game is cross buy if you get the PSN digital version. You will have the PS4 version too.

If you're buying the PS3 version first, get it digital so you will have it on the PS4 when you buy one.

I own a PS4 already. However I want to have a physical copy of this (if the remaster is well done as per my post above), which unfortunately means PS3 only.

Dash Kappei

I think I read at some point that this version of the game would allow you to skip door animations. Is this the case? It won't change whether I buy this, but those animations are the one element of this game I really dislike. I get why they're there, but after a certain point they're sheer tedium. Besides, having the option to skip them from the start doesn't destroy their purposes as tension builders and brief respites anyway, because who knows, you might be skipping right into danger, but they're still there if you want them.

If I can't skip them in this version, when I want to actually play I'll just stick to Dolphin, where I can unlock the framerate during them and make them go by in an instant. I'll still buy this just to support the slightest chance that Capcom will make a game like this again in the future.

Also tank controls 4 lyfe.

AFAIK you can't on the PS360 version, PC will be modded in anyway (tho the old games let you skip 'em on PC)l
The doors were actually there as means to hide the loading times, not to build tension per se. Then loading were shorter but they kept full on animations for REmake and RE0 anyway, in fact you can input AR/Ocarina codes to get rid of the door animations on the Wii and GC versions.
I dunno, maybe they'll give such an option on PS4/X1 or patch it in at later date upon fan demands.

atpbx

Resident Evil is a great game, I just can't play through it again.

Having played the original from day of release through multiple times, the directors cut, the GameCube remaster, the DS version, digital original on PS3- I don't think there is anything else to get from it.

AFAIK you can't on the PS360 version, PC will be modded in anyway (tho the old games let you skip 'em on PC)l
The doors were actually there as means to hide the loading times, not to build tension per se. Then loading were shorter but they kept full on animations for REmake and RE0 anyway, in fact you can input AR/Ocarina codes to get rid of the door animations on the Wii and GC versions.
I dunno, maybe they'll give such an option on PS4/X1 or patch it in at later date upon fan demands.

Yeah, I know you can hack around the door animations in the original version of this remake, that's why I think it's clear they were included and unskippable for artistic reasons. I think an ideal version would include them but allow you to skip them with a button press, but I do plan to get this on PC, so a mod that just cuts them out entirely might be good enough, or someone might even be able to achieve my ideal. Good point.

Oh right, forgot about this. Getting it for sure. $ 20 right?
Correct.
Resident Evil is a great game, I just can't play through it again.

Having played the original from day of release through multiple times, the directors cut, the GameCube remaster, the DS version, digital original on PS3- I don't think there is anything else to get from it.
You could get 60fps from the pc version :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is download only for PS3 right?

IIRC it's like 14GB

This is a download only for all consoles, only version to get physical release was Japanese PS3 version, which a lot of Gaffers imported, cause it has all languages already built into the game, including European language subtitles.

I dunno, in the original PS1 game the character selection was literally the difficulty selection, (In the japanese version it actually said Hard and Easy under the character's S.T.A.R.S. card.) but I think they did a pretty good job of evening the odds between them in the remake. Jill's playthrough is probably a bit smoother if it's your very first time due to her larger inventory, but she has less room for error due to her low health, she faces the same amount of enemies as Chris (Unlike the original where like a third of the enemies were gone.), her grenade launcher is barely stronger than the assault shotgun and she gets the worse defense weapon.

I still find her scenario slightly easier, but really not by much.

Xenoflare

This is a download only for all consoles, only version to get physical release was Japanese PS3 version, which a lot of Gaffers imported, cause it has all languages already built into the game, including European language subtitles.

Damn, thanks for the info though!

Shining

"While The Evil Within was supposed to be the survival-horror title that was Shinji Mikami's opus, it was the remastering of his immortal classic that will be the one people will remember from 2014. With accessible control options that make it so absolutely anyone can handle it, there is no longer any excuses for this incredible game to be passed on."
I never, ever had any problems with the "tank controls" or whatever it's called. Can someone explain to me what the problem is?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ridiculous.

Before this becomes a recurring theme and an issue, like the import thread.

This is OPTIONAL.
Same for the scrolling camera, these are OPTIONAL things, you can revert controls back to Tank style and graphics to 4 : 3 at any time in the game.

Top Bottom