• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster Import Reviews Dropping

KyleCross

That reminds me.... Is that infinite Grenade Rounds cheat/glitch thing in the Re-Remake?

That glitch was patched when the original Gamecube release came to Europe and has been fixed in all subsequent releases since. Only way it'll be in this is if they used the original Japanese/American Gamecube release as their base and then didn't remember to re-fix that.

-MD-

Before this becomes a recurring theme and an issue, like the import thread.

This is OPTIONAL.
Same for the scrolling camera, these are OPTIONAL things, you can revert controls back to Tank style and graphics to 4 : 3 at any time in the game.

I'm mostly worried about other people not knowing any better and using those shit controls.

Shining

It's not normal or standard. That's the only thing I can come up with because they work perfectly fine.
"Character movement in games utilizing tank controls is based on using the up direction on the Analog Stick or D-Pad to move the character forward. Turning is controlled using the left and right directions and the down direction moves the character backwards."

So basically it is the best control scheme for games with fixed angles, yes? If playing these type of games with a "regular" control scheme 'forward' could suddenly become 'backward' depending on the fixed angle? That's insane.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Character movement in games utilizing tank controls is based on using the up direction on the Analog Stick or D-Pad to move the character forward. Turning is controlled using the left and right directions and the down direction moves the character backwards."

So basically it is the best control scheme for games with fixed angles, yes? If playing these type of games with a "regular" control scheme 'forward' could suddenly become 'backward' depending on the fixed angle? That's insane.

Yes, its actually a very big problem at times. Some areas in the game which have real quick cuts can become a nightmare with the new scheme.

I played the game with the new scheme too, and there's a certain room where you need to press a switch then quickly dash a small distance and push a statue while walls are closing in on you, it was literally impossible with the new scheme.

KyleCross

So despite owning the game on both the Gamecube and the Wii (actually, I own every RE but only actually played 4-6) I've never actually played it (I actually haven't played most classic games because I only got super into gaming in 2009... I've never even played Zelda). I bought them a long time ago and I was a big baby back then and just watched video playthroughs online years ago, like in 2006 when YouTube was new. I'm going to finally play it with this release, and then move on to playing 2, 3, CVX for the first time. (would people be interested in watching a gamer play classics for the first time? It's something I'm seriously considering making a YouTube series of). But I'm wondering who should I play first?

I've always seen people play as Jill, I actually haven't seen the game played through with Chris so I'm thinking of doing that cause it'll be 100% fresh to me. Maybe I should then have my girlfriend play Jill as she also needs to play the game (I think she's played it before, but if so it's been a long time).

adamsapple

So despite owning the game on both the Gamecube and the Wii (actually, I own every RE but only actually played 4-6) I've never actually played it (I actually haven't played most classic games because I only got super into gaming in 2009... I've never even played Zelda). I bought them a long time ago and I was a big baby back then and just watched video playthroughs online years ago, like in 2006 when YouTube was new. I'm going to finally play it with this release, and then move on to playing 2, 3, CVX for the first time. (would people be interested in watching a gamer play classics for the first time? It's something I'm seriously considering making a YouTube series of). But I'm wondering who should I play first?

I've always seen people play as Jill, I actually haven't seen the game played through with Chris so I'm thinking of doing that cause it'll be 100% fresh to me. Maybe I should then have my girlfriend play Jill as she also needs to play the game (I think she's played it before, but if so it's been a long time).

If this is your first time then Jill is the safer bet, since she has more inventory slots and gets the Grenade Launcher exclusively, which is incredibly powerful, the acid rounds are more powerful than the Magnum rounds in this game, imo.

Get a feel for the room layout etc, so you know what to pick when as Chris, and don't need to keep making repeat trips to item boxes.

Randam

Game has the same control scheme as RE4.
What's the problem?
Pressing left, to make the character go right, when he is walking towards you on the screen?

-MD-

Game has the same control scheme as RE4.
What's the problem?
Pressing left, to make the character go right, when he is walking towards you on the screen?

gsoawf.gif

That's the problem ^

Jyester

gsoawf.gif

That's the problem ^

Is it? I haven't played the original for a while, but remember the wide circles the characters need to turn around to look similarly silly. The new controls seem more responsive, which to me seems like a nice revision.

finley83

Banned
Even if everything else was exactly the same, the addition of subtitles alone makes this a worthwhile purchase. Always hated that they weren't in the original version.

Is it? I haven't played the original for a while, but remember the wide circles the characters need to turn around to look similarly silly. The new controls seem more responsive, which to me seems like a nice revision.
Isn't there a quick turn around?
Even if everything else was exactly the same, the addition of subtitles alone makes this a worthwhile purchase. Always hated that they weren't in the original version.
I always thought Barry was saying Jiggle Sandwich for a long time.

It better not have save ribbons because those were pieces of shit and totally ruined the ps1 games.

Depends, one way of looking at it is that you had to save sparingly because like other items, resources were low and that meant you had to be careful which fits well with the survival aspect of survival horror.

No need for reviews on this. There's literally no way Capcom could fuck it up.

Not long left. 12 long days until I get to play one of the best RE games ever.

You're right. For 180° this works fine, but turning in general didn't look especially smooth. It didn't really bother me, but neither do the changed controls.

The main issue with the changed controls is that they break the game, not really that they are different. You can practically dance around enemies now instead of actually having to me methodical and precise with your movement. There was a clip of someone pretty much taunting a zombie with the new scheme because it's more twitchy, which doesn't fit the design and speed of the game at all.

Ian

Getting this. Already have the GC version, but I can't resist. The PS1 Resident Evils were some of my favourite games of the era.

Is there any chance we'll ever see a remaster of 2 and 3?

Im half way through a playthrough on tank controls with zero problems, the only way to play it. Having said that, i didnt test the new system... so it mightn't be that bad, but the tank controls work so well, why mess with a good thing ?
It's not like they removed tank controls.

One scheme for purists, another for today's traditional scheme. Seems logical to me.

-MD-

Remaster or remake?

They wouldn't bother remastering PS1 games, it'd take an incredible amount of money and effort to remake them though. If this game is successful I could see 2 being remade as fans have been begging for that for years and Capcom is probably aware of that.

Getting this. Already have the GC version, but I can't resist. The PS1 Resident Evils were some of my favourite games of the era.

I'm struggling myself. Ran through it probably 4 times on ps1, and played REmake twice I believe. There is no reason for me to replay this again, but I just want to. I doubt I'd finish it since I remember close to everything, yet still...

Chabbles

I've been playing HD Remaster for the last two months and I'm really shocked at how much harder I found it playing as Jill.

- Jill takes more damage than Chris
- Chris gets healed every now and then by Rebecca
- Chris' arsenal is more focused
- Old Keys are almost always near the door to use them on

Its really weird. Whereas I thought Jill was the easier character to use when I was younger I find Chris immensely easier to use now.

And dont forget Jill has 2 extra inventory slots aswell, along with a lockpick.

KyleCross

Remaster or remake?

They wouldn't bother remastering PS1 games, it'd take an incredible amount of money and effort to remake them though. If this game is successful I could see 2 being remade as fans have been begging for that for years and Capcom is probably aware of that.

I can't honestly see Capcom literally remaking Resident Evil 2... as just Resident Evil 2. I think if they did anything like that they'd remake the first 3 games and roll it all up into a single game, calling it Origins or something. Or leaving the Re-Remake and making a new game around 2 and 3 and call it the Raccoon City Chronicles or whatever.

There's no chance of them just remaking RE2.

olimpia84

I never understood the hate for the tank controls. Give them an hour or so and they'll sink in. The new controls look horrible animation-wise.

Chabbles

One scheme for purists, another for today's traditional scheme. Seems logical to me.

But if its the 3d controls i think it is(like in some of the SH games), they could be alittle annoying too. As in, lets say your running left, the camera angle point of view changes and now you start running in the wrong direction, because from the new angle your no longer running left, your running up instead and you have to adjust with each camera change. The input for Left, right, up and down will change depending on whatever fixed camera view your giving at any given time, which could be annoying for new players. (i think ign complained about this in a preview) whereas tanks controls just work.

Disclaimer - i havnt tried them so it mightn't be as annoying as i think it may be.

I literally can't grasp people's issues with tank controls either, it's all completly logical, down, you go backwards, up you go forwards and with left and right you turn in that direction.

And yeah, all the enemies were designed around your slow movement and turning, so it's not really an artificial increase in difficulty like somepeople say. Though the new controls are the opposite extreme of that.

But looking at all the playthroughs people have already uploaded on Youtube most people actually seem to pick the new controls. Drives me mad.

Audette

Loved playing this when I got my imported copy. Any fans of the series, having played the original, PSX or NGC, your in for a treat!

Any new comers it's a great game but I have no idea how people would interpret it these days... Games have gotten softer...easier...

adamsapple

I literally can't grasp people's issues with tank controls either, it's all completly logical, down, you go backwards, up you go forwards and with left and right you turn in that direction.

And yeah, all the enemies were designed around your slow movement and turning, so it's not really an artificial increase in difficulty like somepeople say. Though the new controls are the opposite extreme of that.

But looking at all the playthroughs people have already uploaded on Youtube most people actually seem to pick the new controls. Drives me mad.

Its the default option, that's why I guess.

SkylineRKR

I've been playing HD Remaster for the last two months and I'm really shocked at how much harder I found it playing as Jill.

- Jill takes more damage than Chris
- Chris gets healed every now and then by Rebecca
- Chris' arsenal is more focused
- Old Keys are almost always near the door to use them on

Its really weird. Whereas I thought Jill was the easier character to use when I was younger I find Chris immensely easier to use now.

I feel Chris is easier once you know the game. On the JP saturn version, Chris was labeled as 'Hard' and Jill was Easy. So Chris should be supposed to be more challenging for sure. This is because of his less slots and no handgun right away, etc.

But once you're seasoned, you're taking advantage of his stamina and abundance of shotgun shells. I ended my first Chris run on GC with like 60 shells and had an easier time than with Jill.

I think I'll start Chris.

gelf

Today's traditional scheme as you call it is designed for completely different games with enemy design and movement tailored to that. Sure its just an option but people should be aware its just easy mode by another name. Especially with how they've implemented in this game, it makes navigating around zombies trivial when it shouldn't be.

To me its almost like if Dark Souls had an easy mode with an infinite stamina bar, so game changing it kinda breaks the point of it.

Its the default option, that's why I guess.

But then, it's not like it's just hidden somewhere in the options menu, literally every time you start a new game you get to choose between the control scheme again and when it says original and arrange, I'd figure most people not familiar with the game would default to original. At least that's what I'd do.

Jawmuncher

I'm totally ruining the RE experience and using the new control scheme and will also be playing on Easy.

For Jill's route since I have beaten it before. Gonna suck it up and go regular for Chris.

KyleCross

Honestly, I think y'all are letting your nostalgia get in the way. Limited saving was never a good idea. Games from the era that had proper save points never made dying any less upsetting and avoiding death any less stressful. Save points weren't like they are now in which you get one automatically every 5 seconds, but at least when you got to one you didn't have to worry about having an item on you that grants your permission to save.

They could've made typewriters save points like in RE4 without ink ribbions and you would still have the stress. They're not around every corner, and chances are you would have done a good amount of stuff between visits in which you can mess up and die and lose progress so the stress would've remained. It's silly just to have to have an item on you to do it.

Also I'm not specifically talking about this release, they shouldn't have changed it which they didn't as to stay true to the original game. I'm saying the originals shouldn't have had ink ribbions in the first place. Typewriters are sparse as they are, no need to throw a third-party in there. It honestly feels like a cheap gimmick to pad gametime.

Chabbles

Honestly, I think y'all are letting your nostalgia get in the way. Limited saving was never a good idea. Games from the era that had proper save points never made dying any less upsetting and avoiding death any less stressful. Save points weren't like they are now in which you get one automatically every 5 seconds, but at least when you got to one you didn't have to worry about having an item on you that grants your permission to save.

They could've made typewriters save points like in RE4 without ink ribbions and you would still have the stress. They're not around every corner, and chances are you would have done a good amount of stuff between visits in which you can mess up and die and lose progress so the stress would've remained. It's silly just to have to have an item on you to do it.

Alien Isolation shows how useful it can be, auto saves around ever corner these days have made you weak!

I have the GameCube version and didn't enjoy it because the save structure. Shame they didn't add an option for retries. Probably won't pick this up now, certainly not at full price.
Did Bill forget to switch the drinks? (couldn't resist)

I remember thinking the save ribbons would be an irritating requirement back when I played the original, but quickly found out it was more than easy enough to end up with a healthy surplus when you just make a habit of scavenging everywhere you can.
People always moan about this type of stuff in horror movies, when the protagonist ignores his or her objective (escape/survival) to go do something irrelevant. But in a game it's somehow applauded.

Today's traditional scheme as you call it is designed for completely different games with enemy design and movement tailored to that. Sure its just an option but people should be aware its just easy mode by another name. Especially with how they've implemented in this game, it makes navigating around zombies trivial when it shouldn't be.

To me its almost like if Dark Souls had an easy mode with an infinite stamina bar, so game changing it kinda breaks the point of it.
But you have the option of playing it your way. Why does it matter to you what control scheme a new player uses?

Jawmuncher

Also I'm not specifically talking about this release, they should've have changed it which they didn't as to stay true to the original game. I'm saying the originals shouldn't have had ink ribbions in the first place. Typewriters are sparse as they are, no need to throw a third-party in there. It honestly feels like a cheap gimmick to pad gametime.

While you still needed the item later on I know some games just had infinite ink ribbon items on easier difficulties. While I agree the point was always to prevent people from being able to play it completely safe with the limited number of saves in the original. Though you're right that depending on the situation and how the player plays infinite saves in the vein of RE4 would have made no difference in the tense environment. Since limited ammunition and the sort would still be there if you saved. And

Top Bottom