• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resogun has PRO support added Patch 1.10

onQ123

I know this is an official announcement, but I don't see the supersampling in the only clear shots I have (from VG Tech). Does anybody have some 1080p Pro shots that demonstrate it well?

I haven't seen it myself but didn't someone say it was Geometry Rendering? but then again Resogun is voxels so geometry rendering was probably all they needed to use for 4K.

I haven't seen it myself but didn't someone say it was Geometry Rendering? but then again Resogun is voxels so geometry rendering was probably all they needed to use for 4K.
I agree geometry rendering is a fine choice for 4K in this case, since Resogun is almost nothing but geometry. That doesn't explain the issue, though. Geometry rendering makes the edges exactly as sharp as regular rendering, and edges are what you're checking for AA once it's scaled back down.

To be clear regarding what I'm talking about, here's a comparison. This isn't an identical shot on standard and Pro 1080p, but it's pretty similar. (I've blown up the shots 4x to make detail clear.) On the left, the standard version has decent AA (albeit occasionally scrappy, possible due to the fineness of some of the geometry). But on the right, Pro's supposedly-downscaled AA looks more like solid blocks of color along the edges.The blending effect is actually less smooth than on the lower machine.

resocompareqzu8g.png

The only thing I can think is that maybe VG Tech (who I got these images from) have flip-flopped their labels. If actually the left is Pro and right is standard, that looks much more like what I'd expect. Thing is, the claimed 1080p Pro shot is in an imgur album alongside definite Pro shots at 2160p, so such a mixup doesn't seem very likely. But stranger things have happened.

pottuvoi

Banned
I agree geometry rendering is a fine choice for 4K in this case, since Resogun is almost nothing but geometry. That doesn't explain the issue, though. Geometry rendering makes the edges exactly as sharp as regular rendering, and edges are what you're checking for AA once it's scaled back down.

To be clear regarding what I'm talking about, here's a comparison. This isn't an identical shot on standard and Pro 1080p, but it's pretty similar. (I've blown up the shots 4x to make detail clear.) On the left, the standard version has decent AA (albeit occasionally scrappy, possible due to the fineness of some of the geometry). But on the right, Pro's supposedly-downscaled AA looks more like solid blocks of color along the edges.The blending effect is actually less smooth than on the lower machine.

resocompareqzu8g.png

The only thing I can think is that maybe VG Tech (who I got these images from) have flip-flopped their labels. If actually the left is Pro and right is standard, that looks much more like what I'd expect. Thing is, the claimed 1080p Pro shot is in an imgur album alongside definite Pro shots at 2160p, so such a mixup doesn't seem very likely. But stranger things have happened.
With ordered grid AA, edge quality of 4xSSAA looks just like 2xAA with rotated grid.
Only when detail gets small does the advantage of additional samples become visible.

With ordered grid AA, edge quality of 4xSSAA looks just like 2xAA with rotated grid.
Only when detail gets small does the advantage of additional samples become visible.
The pink lanes there are pretty much as small as detail gets, only two pixels wide. But you think this doesn't look unusual? Certainly you have expertise I don't, so if these results seem consistent with supersampling to you, I'll take that as confirmed.

Top Bottom