• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailers: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition launching on 12/09 + final boxart

Shiggy

Did not know they included Origins with the Vita version, now I have no idea why they are not including it with the Switch version

Also on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360:
71O0x0M784L._SL1000_.jpg
715MhUnZlwL._SL1000_.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Did not know they included Origins with the Vita version, now I have no idea why they are not including it with the Switch version
To be fair, they are different releases. Vita first got Rayman Origins (launch game), then Rayman Legends after that, and later on a double pack release. PS3 and Xbox 360 also got the Rayman Double Pack release. EDIT: As mentioned above :)

RedFury

Dude, I'm not saying it didn't count on the Vita. A great game counts regardless of the system it's on. My point is that it's now coming to a handheld that's more desirable than the Vita and will quickly outsell it. I mean, more people own a Wii U than a Switch right now but it wouldn't exactly be controversial to say that games would be given a second chance on the Switch or will be on a platform that's more relevant and will be more popular. Hell, at one point, more people owned a Wii U than a PS4 but no one would ever point that out because the PS4 was gonna outsell it in like 5 seconds anyways

Lol Okay, sure man. I'm not the one having a tough time seeing that the Switch is a more viable platform going forward than the Vita and thus more people would care for the game being on the Switch than the Vita. Same thing for the Wii U. I don't understand how what I'm saying is preposterous or fanboyish but, hey, you do you

Haha what a joke. That is not what you said.
Well most people didn't own a Vita so this will be the only portable version of the game most would look into
Then you go on to talk console numbers, then go on to say they don't matter because it's an inevitability the console will sale more. This point I agree with but watching the goal posts move is amusing. Continue?

Haha what a joke. That is not what you said.

Then you go on to talk console numbers, then go on to say they don't matter because it's an inevitability the console will sale more. This point I agree with but watching the goal posts move is amusing. Continue?
I moved goal posts by saying that the Switch version will be the most relevant portable version of the game because it's on a more popular system that's gonna quickly outsell the Vita? Really? My position and argument never changed, I only expanded upon it. I never said that hardware sales don't matter, just that it's a ridiculous thing to bring up in the case of something like the Vita or Wii U because hardly anyone cared for them or ended up buying one whereas the Switch has a lot more demand, interest, and stronger sales so far. Honestly, the fact that you're getting so heated up over a throwaway line that no one would've batted an eye at if I replaced the words "portable" and "Vita" with "Nintendo" and "Wii U" is more amusing than anything I've said this far

Tsunamo

Lack of new content is a shame. Just give me a new world and i'd be content.

But ah well, I love playing Rayman Legends/Origins and I love my Switch so when this is cheap i'll probably endup grabbing it again.

yyr

Heck I'm not even sure this has the extra levels the Vita version had.

I played those extra levels.

Nobody's missing a whole lot, if they're not there. They weren't that great. I'm a huge fan of the game in general, but those extra levels were nothing special.

Probably going to pick this up again. I played it on Wii U and Vita already, but I have neither anymore. Loved the touch screen stuff so I'm glad to get an even better portable version of it.

I hope they do some local Wi-Fi mode so someone can play as Murphy on the tablet while others play on the big screen. Hard to see it as a real definitive edition if it doesn't support 5 players like the Wii U version did.

Shiggy

Probably going to pick this up again. I played it on Wii U and Vita already, but I have neither anymore. Loved the touch screen stuff so I'm glad to get an even better portable version of it.

I hope they do some local Wi-Fi mode so someone can play as Murphy on the tablet while others play on the big screen. Hard to see it as a real definitive edition if it doesn't support 5 players like the Wii U version did.

Doesn't look like it:
Wireless Local Multiplayer: Thanks to the new capabilities of the Nintendo Switch™ and its Joy-Con, Rayman® Legends: Definitive Edition will enable up to 4 players to experience wireless local multiplayer.

Maximo

If I can find it for a good price, I'll actually pick it up. I never got around to getting it on the PS4 or Wii U for some reason, despite liking Rayman Origins

Well most people didn't own a Vita so this will be the only portable version of the game most would look into

*Most people* don't own a Switch.

The game is definitelly worth the price for those who havnt played or owned the game before, in my opinion. For double (or triple) dippers, i can see that its a bit too much though.
Who hasn't played this game at this point in time (and has the slightest interest in platformers)? This will crater and rightfully so, given that pricepoint.

OmegaFax

World of Goo is one game on the Switch where the controls are dependent on whether the system is docked or undocked.

If you play it docked, you have to use a single Joy-Con. Pro Controllers disconnect and won't even let you reconnect to hit the home button to back out of the game.

If you play the game in handheld mode, you must use the touch screen ... and if the Joy-Cons are detached, it works like it does in docked mode.

Anyway.

It sounds like Rayman Legends on Switch might force the touch screen aspects on you if you're in handheld mode (unless a previous post has said this isn't true).

The touch controls aren't that bad on Vita. The system is small enough where you can maneuver your thumbs over most the screen easily + there was an option to use the rear touch pad as well. The gyroscope sections were kind of cumbersome because I'd find myself turning the entire system upside down in order to complete a section of a level.

For some reason, even though the Switch has most of the same physical dimensions as the Wii U GamePad (least the same screen size and overall footprint) ... the Switch isn't great to hold with one hand while trying to play with the touch screen unless you detach both Joy-Cons.

It's against Nintendo's submission policy for developers to encourage players to dock or undock the system as part of the gameplay. The "Undock your system to take out enemies" part of the game's retail listing sort of falls in a grey area.

Richie

September is way too crowded already, with more interesting games than a four years old port with no new content.

Ironically the very same happened with the original title, also releasing in a crowded September that among other titles had GTA V scheduled.

Who hasn't played this game at this point in time (and has the slightest interest in platformers)? This will crater and rightfully so, given that pricepoint.

I bet it'll sell more copies than the Vita, PS4, and XB1 versions.*

*Not counting any PS+ or Games With Gold freebies

Dominator

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't they add a bunch of levels from the first game to the Vita version of Legends? Is that the case here as well?

Megatron

Annoying how much they have doubled down and ported this game when Origins was so much better. They cant even package the two together since this game reuses so many origins levels.

maxcriden

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't they add a bunch of levels from the first game to the Vita version of Legends? Is that the case here as well?

Rayman Legends by default (PS/XB/Wii U) included many levels from Origins as a bonus. I know the Vita version was missing some content originally, maybe that was part of it. This game will include those Origins levels I believe.

That may very well come true but it's also not really a particularily high hill to climb.

My guess is if this version sells better than any of those, Ubisoft will consider this four year old port a success. I highly doubt their expectations for this title are very large. It's likely a super cheap way to give the Switch some more support from them.

My guess is if this version sells better than any of those, Ubisoft will consider this four year old port a success. I highly doubt their expectations for this title are very large.

I'm buying it anyway, but I'll buy it for everyone I know if it nets us a new 3D Rayman game.

MrBS

I went through the first game with a friend of mine, made for some great coop. Was there for the sequel eventually on Wii U and the murphy stuff was so flow breaking for my friend he didn't want to play any more after a couple of levels, a shame.

None of these features are compelling for a double dip so good luck to newcomers. At least the price came down a bit. Will get at a deep discount eventually.

joms5

ooOOOooh! touch gameplay!

so they're just re-releasing the Wii U Version with one new mode no one's gonna play and calling it a definitive edition.
meh.

Yeah basically.

Looks like the Wii U will be the definitive version. I loved playing the 2 player levels with one person cutting ropes and moving stuff while I did the platforming. A really neat idea that worked surprisingly well.

In the WiiU version all level of origins are included, I think it was the same for all versions, Switch too.
Nope. Around third of the RO levels are cut completely. I remember my personal highlights being somehow universally missing. Then there's the fact they're modified to switch some basic mechanics to their new replacements, and reduce the difficulty spikes.

I have PC and Wii U versions for different control styles of Murfy levels (spoilers, sorry GAF, Wii U ended up with slightly less enjoyable one). I frankly see little reason to even consider purchasing this one at the moment. I imagine this makes me basically not the target audience (does Switch have many multiplayer capable platformers? I don't think so) but with Kung Foot polishing being the only visible change (barring aforementioned Murfy mixing) I wonder what was exactly Ubisoft's thread of thought there. Expecting a new world would be probably unreasonable given how unsuccessful the thing has been, but current feature set almost screams "we love you, past buyers, you don't really want this". Weird.

Rayman Legends by default (PS/XB/Wii U) included many levels from Origins as a bonus. I know the Vita version was missing some content originally, maybe that was part of it. This game will include those Origins levels I believe.

Vita was missing Invasion levels at launch, the semi-randomly unlocking time trial object rearrangement stages. I believe returning levels were there day one.

Never played this, is it really that good people are double and even triple dipping?

Would I be missing a lot by not getting origins with it?

Top Bottom