• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

How's Mega Man Powered Up on that thing?

Ooooooh killem.
i haven't booted megaman but tried another psp game, castlevania dracula x chronicles using my CRT w/o a scaler. it doesn't look good w/ 480i and is the pic is under scanned. ps1 games are amazing though in full 240p no under-scan.

I need the dock, only way to charge and do TV out at once. But the only ones I ever saw were on ebay in the US with ridiculous global shipping program postage cost.
just a note: if you buy the psp go cradle, the package does not come with a power chord to do tv out. you can't use the psp go power supply and component out with the cradle at the same time but instead need an old psp 1000-3000 power supply.

Jesus David,

I have like all those pieces (including the dock) and have from day one been a massive proponent of the Go (while it was constantly dumped on). Good to see it is finally appreciated.

Can't wait till I get mine outta storage and make a Go setup.
definitely show us your set up of the psp go! the more the merrier =)

There are so many things to dislike about the PSP go but it's really nice as a home-console / portable hybrid.
it is pretty damn fun, was playing it all night. Ps1 castlevania chronicles is pretty damn fun as well as Strider 1.
Wow, you got a psp go dock as well. nice. very sweet
thanks!
The PSP Go cradle is so insanely expensive for me :(
yeah, i got fortunate and grabbed it off amazon warehouse for 30 shipped. the biggest surprise when it came, the package included a psp 1000 power supply!

JDH

Amazon UK cancelled one of my Super Nintendo Minis lol

Rightfully so

STILL GOT ONE LEFT!!

Ditto. No, I'm not selfish, but as they had two separate listings, I wanted to protect myself. I'm happy with the Ione though, but still a bit on edge given Amazon's history (at least in Canada) with cancellations.

They don't have the packapunch or the regular Genesis 2 SCART cables in stock right now. And they have a message on the Genesis 1 SCART cables saying they will be in stock July 1st, so I'm assuming that means the Genesis 2 cables (both regular and packapunch) won't be available until well after that, since there is no similar message for those.

I got this email from them yesterday

"We will be restocking all the Sega Mega Drive 1 / 2 and Sega Saturn RGB SCART cables next week."

Kawika

ok guys here's some pics of my pspgo
WfxZPU6h.png

1B6pyQgh.jpg

prbnoQth.jpg

a2e1Qs1h.jpg

S0WUsyDh.jpg

My PSP Go doesn't allow me to use the analog stick or map the normal ps1 controls to the ps3 controller. Am I doing something wrong or do you have to deal with the PS1 controls for PSP even though you have a Dual Shock 3. I am not sure this made sense.

My PSP Go doesn't allow me to use the analog stick or map the normal ps1 controls to the ps3 controller. Am I doing something wrong or do you have to deal with the PS1 controls for PSP even though you have a Dual Shock 3. I am not sure this made sense.
so far i'm playing ps1 classics that i brought from psn (i haven't tried ripping iso's to eboot from my ps1 collection yet_

for psn ps1 games try this
pressing the home button during a ps1 gameplay to load the menu and select controller settings and select digital and confirm.

you should at this point you will be able to use the analogue and vibration functions for games that support it. (i confirmed it last night with crono cross brought from psn) be you must select it manually.

in terms of L2 R2 functions, they work natively with psn ps1 classic titles.

ok guys here's some pics of my pspgo
WfxZPU6h.png

1B6pyQgh.jpg

prbnoQth.jpg

a2e1Qs1h.jpg

S0WUsyDh.jpg

Gotta admit, that looks great. I have a PS2 hooked up to my PVM and a decent stash of PS1 games in my possession but there are so many available on PSN -- and ones that are now rare or expensive. It might be kind of nice to have this in my setup. Wireless controller is cool, too.

So do I understand correctly that you can't play and charge at the same time except with this dock? What about a 2000 or 3000?

So awesome!
thanks man!
played some ps1 Chronicles last night:
Gotta admit, that looks great. I have a PS2 hooked up to my PVM and a decent stash of PS1 games in my possession but there are so many available on PSN -- and ones that are now rare or expensive. It might be kind of nice to have this in my setup. Wireless controller is cool, too.

So do I understand correctly that you can't play and charge at the same time except with this dock? What about a 2000 or 3000?
yes, the psp go dock is needed to charge while playing as well as a psp 1000/2000/3000 plug which is needed for the psp go dock.

the 2000 and 3000 doesn't have this dock but it can do component out but the big issue is you can't use the ps3 dual shock with the 2000/3000 due to lack of bluetooth. the R2/L2 R3/L3 buttons, dual analogue sticks and rumble functions are active for ps1 games and the only way to use it is with a psp go.

a ps3 console is needed for 1 minute to register the ps3 controller to a psp go. (similar using the wii u pad for remote play needing a tv just one time initially)

jonno394

A cross post! Working on some Wii Acquisitions too. Not as Retro as I initially planned as I was initially going to get a modded SNES and start a SFC collection but opted for Gamecube first!

34835861863_6ffdb0186f_c.jpg

Kawika

so far i'm playing ps1 classics that i brought from psn (i haven't tried ripping iso's to eboot from my ps1 collection yet_

for psn ps1 games try this
pressing the home button during a ps1 gameplay to load the menu and select controller settings and select digital and confirm.

you should at this point you will be able to use the analogue and vibration functions for games that support it. (i confirmed it last night with crono cross brought from psn) be you must select it manually.

in terms of L2 R2 functions, they work natively with psn ps1 classic titles.

I swear I did that, maybe I didn't confirm correctly. I will try it again when i charge it up again.

Laws00

what's your take on this adaptor guys?

I have it. I think I must have used it a few times before I went back to my OEM stuff for Nintendo and sega stuff.

I've been reading these things aren't good or do damage to your console.

I got my sega cd out and my sega cd is either dead, it's not powerful enough to run it, or the adaptor is wonky. I've used it to power something recently and it worked.

3%20in%201%20AC%20Adaptor1.jpg

what's your take on this adaptor guys?

I have it. I think I must have used it a few times before I went back to my OEM stuff for Nintendo and sega stuff.

I've been reading these things aren't good or do damage to your console.

I got my sega cd out and my sega cd is either dead, it's not powerful enough to run it, or the adaptor is wonky. I've used it to power something recently and it worked.

3%20in%201%20AC%20Adaptor1.jpg

I wouldn't use anything like that. It looks cheap and the NES doesn't even take DC in. It expects AC. They all probably expect slightly different voltages and currents.

Did your Sega CD work before usig this? You probably busted the fuse. Luckily it's simple to fix if you aren't afraid of a soldering iron (which if you are into retro games you shouldn't be).

That fucking thing spells Genesis with a slash. I wouldn't let that thing near an elementary school let alone my Genesis.

Laws00

I wouldn't use anything like that. It looks cheap and the NES doesn't even take DC in. It expects AC. They all probably expect slightly different voltages and currents.

Did your Sega CD work before usig this? You probably busted the fuse. Luckily it's simple to fix if you aren't afraid of a soldering iron (which if you are into retro games you shouldn't be).

That fucking thing spells Genesis with a slash. I wouldn't let that thing near an elementary school let alone my Genesis.

This sega cd has not been turned on for 15 years. i don't know if it has any problems like that.

I got the adaptor for another system and found out the model 2 sega cd uses the model 1 adaptor. Tried to power It with it and it didn't turn on

I said I got it from a friend who borrowed it from a friend who he loaned it too. And that's how I got it.

As far as I know it worked up to about the year 2002

This sega cd has not been turned on for 15 years. i don't know if it has any problems like that.

I got the adaptor for another system and found out the model 2 sega cd uses the model 1 adaptor. Tried to power It with it and it didn't turn on

I said I got it from a friend who borrowed it from a friend who he loaned it too. And that's how I got it.

As far as I know it worked up to about the year 2002

If the problem is that it won't turn on, most likely the fuse just needs to be replaced or bipassed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow. It's nearly midnight where i am but wish i could watch all this video right now.

How does this guy fund his collection?

He used to work in the financial market, and was fiending on that. I've talked to Joel (the guy in the video) a couple times and he's a good dude -- just a little crazy.

Got it. Another question: can you output PSP games to your 4:3 CRT?

EDIT: It appears this is entirely possible. So I guess my real question is: have you tried it, and how does it look?

yeah, i tried it as mentioned in a previous post above. psp games don't look great over 480i and the picture outputs underscanned over component. without an external scaler, there's no way to adjust the underscanned picture. ps1 games are the best with the go bc it's full screen and produces a perfect 240p resolution.

D.Lo

NES can take DC fine. It just means the rectifier will be bypassed/do nothing.

Cheapo adapters are an issue only because their power output is low, AC/DC is no issue at all for NES/SNES.

But it looks so cool. :(

The pain is going to come when I hook up all 3 at the same time

Thank you

There are two different all-in-one power supplies that can supply all three systems at once from one outlet. I ordered the one from RetroDC but it won't ship until August. I can't wait though. It should be one of those life-changing purchases.

Ashby

HD Retrovision component cables for SNES/Genesis are still in stock, btw.

They're on Wave 2 right now.

Struggling to see much of a use case for these things. If you're looking to play your SNES on a component-capable HD set you're still going to be dealing with lag so you're gonna want a Framemeister or OSSC and I don't know why you wouldn't go RGB at that point. The only people I could see getting a benefit out of these are people who have CRTs with component-in and that's not a very big group.

Peltz

Struggling to see much of use case for these things. If you're looking to play your SNES on a component-capable HD set you're still going to be dealing with lag so you're gonna want a Framemeister or OSSC and I don't know why you wouldn't go RGB at that point. The only people I could see getting a benefit out of these are people who have CRTs with component-in and that's not a very big group.

It's bigger than you'd think. Maybe not on retro GAF where we all have SCART capable PVMs and upscalers. But a few people are definitely using converters from RGB to Component for their CRTs. This is basically an all in one version of that process.

entremet

Struggling to see much of a use case for these things. If you're looking to play your SNES on a component-capable HD set you're still going to be dealing with lag so you're gonna want a Framemeister or OSSC and I don't know why you wouldn't go RGB at that point. The only people I could see getting a benefit out of these are people who have CRTs with component-in and that's not a very big group.

I don't have an RGB capable set myself, neither do I have a framemeister or OSSC. I'm on a Sony Wega with component, though! These cables are also very multiuse, you can use them with other consoles as well.

I'm not overpaying for a PVM and the framemeister is still something I'm not sold on since I have a CRT.

Samsung HDTVs handle 240p component very well and with game mode are still dealing with only 20ish ms of lag.

Timu

These can be used for capture cards as well to a tv/monitor. I use PS2 component for PS1 games even.

Yes Boss!

The idea IS to play SNES on a component-ready CRT.

Kinda like the Saturn RGB-to-Component adapter. Far more people have component TVs then PVMs and upscalers.

A $10 or $20 Sony Trinitron and these $50 cables and you're in business. A very high-quality setup for way less than three figures. It's convenient.

I have a Panasonic plasma that accepts 240p via component with (seemingly) next to no lag. This is a streamlined way to get some great retro games on my main TV.

There's also the fact that these things have gone for $150 on eBay on a pretty regular basis. If I don't find them useful, I at least won't loose any money on them.

There are two different all-in-one power supplies that can supply all three systems at once from one outlet. I ordered the one from RetroDC but it won't ship until August. I can't wait though. It should be one of those life-changing purchases.

I use the one from RetroGameCave I believe its called, and its amazing. It's the same one the MyLifeInGaming guys covered in a video. Well not the exact same one, since I went with my Genesis model 2, and model 2 Sega CD. Anyway it works great though.

Well, I just completed Metroid 2.

Not a sentence I was expecting to be typing in 2017. Took me just under five hours so obviously no Samus swimsuit action for me. Pretty cool game, though. Overall it's actually better than I remember. The music and atmosphere get even better in the final area. Sounds really nice cranked up on a stereo system.

Top Bottom